Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why are you buying Ipad Pro?

• Total voters

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Coming from an iPad 2 this thing will be quite the upgrade i think.

Most defiantly, i'm planning on getting the iPad Pro and i'm coming from a iPad Air 2, i think the Pro will blow away all iPads and dare i say all tablets in general, Apple are positioning this as a work device as well as a consumption device, hence the "pro" name.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Coming from an iPad 2 this thing will be quite the upgrade i think.

same here. upgrading from ipad2. dont know what actually to expect really. even though in love my ipad2 it realy really is beginning to grate with it's noticeable lag and delays. speeds is frustrating these days. more and more the higher the ios is.

i cant wait

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
As a doctoral student I would like to markup (annotate) my notes on the research papers I am using. Also, with the keyboard to write sections of my dissertation as the mood strikes, where it strikes.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Here's a good article on why the Pro will not replace your regular desktop (or laptop):

I just can't see spending that kind of moola and getting LESS function than I do with my rMBP.
As an artist I can see getting more use out of it it than my laptop due to the stylus..

It's not really aimed at replacing everyone's laptops, but it can definitely replace some peoples. :) (it's clearly not aimed at everyone!)

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
As an artist I can see getting more use out of it it than my laptop due to the stylus..

It's not really aimed at replacing everyone's laptops, but it can definitely replace some peoples. :) (it's clearly not aimed at everyone!)
We know it isn't a laptop and doesn't pretend to be one, even with a smart keyboard. The attraction for me is to use a simple touch device for most of my computer needs and then switch to my Mac or vnc into it for heavy stuff that simply won't work in iOS. If vnc is too fiddly then just go to my Mac instead.

Development obviously still needs a full desktop os but so much other stuff works fine on my mini and I am looking forward to using a large screen too. As I won't use the pro portably (not sure why I would want to) it makes sense to get the keyboard but have to research the solutions in addition to Apple's very expensive option. The pencil is a definite once I have tried it in store and like it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
On the fence, largely due to three things: a huge decision which requires a good deal of finances in place, my portable needs as a result of that decision and finally iOS 9 and that smart keyboard.

The reason why I kept going back to smaller iDevices is it is so much easier to type and no extra cost of another keyboard.

iOS 9.0.2 bricked the WiFi on my iPod Touch 6 so badly, I returned it. With all my software issues with Apple these past two years, I am skittish in buying that costly an iDevice.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
I'm getting one for browsing the internet, watching videos and email whilst on my couch or kitchen table.
No power or professional usage at all.
I'm sure it will be a pleasure to use casually.
Wish the price tag was a bit cheaper, though.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
As everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I will share mine.

iPad Pro is a rather weird product.

I have to say, I do not like it at all, though I am Apple fan in my own way.

So, let's get to the point. We have 13" screen. With OS - iOS 9. This is not a mature operating system, not for a such big screen (using it, will feel so empty, because it already does on my iPad Air 2). Hell, there is not a proper way to multitask and I mean the real multitasking, not the yolo multitasking advertised by Apple (video playback, only via native iOS video player or using simultaneously 2 Apple native apps). In comparison with Microsoft SP 3 for instance, we cannot even compare them, because iPad Pro will just look stupid next to it.

Gaming on it? Give me a break. Really? Gaming on Macs, iPhone, iPads is pain in the ass. That's why I have gaming PC. Though I prefer Macs in everything else. Apple should stop advertising, that their devices can be gamed on, it just looks ruefully.

Watching movies? Yes, good try Apple. "Movies will be so immersive, that you will feel the breathe of Matt Damon on your cheeks during The Martian movie"

iPad Pro won't, for now, be able to replace Macbooks or other Notebooks. It is just not happening.

Performance wise.. I do not really know, whether i7/i5 will be more powerful vs A9X. (Surface Pro vs iPad Pro)

On the other hand, the thing I really like about iPad Pro, is that smart connect, or whatever is it called, for the keyboard. That's some impressive tech over there, it's discreet and does its job, well done!

For me, it is not a mature product yet.

Anytime anyone say's "I am a Apple fan..." really means something totally different.
You have dogged Apple in just about every way possible, and seem to be smitten with the Surface Pro.
Are you trolling Apple sites?

"As everyone is entitled to their own opinion"... I just shared mine.

Last edited:

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Good job quoting me incorrectly... and can you state what you do.. Apple retail employee? I am pretty certain you are not in a Fortune 500 corporation if you can use an iPad all day.

Because a Corp/business is not a Corp/business unless it's a Fortune 500?
Oh, the small, shiney bubbles some people live in.
Did you know that the vast, overwhelming majority of corporations and businesses are....well....never mind.
Have a great day.

Reactions: Ciclismo

Kal-037

macrumors 68020

That's the exact reason I sold my MBP, sure I could do some art on the MacBook (Graphic Design or Illustration) But I still wasn't using that $2,500 device even 2% of the time... so that was a huge waste of money for me. Plus I do more traditional drawing and sketching, (i'm also usually spending hundreds going through oil pencils, art supplies, and paper) so the iPad Pro will hopefully save me money there too. I have a Windows Desktop I can always use for certain tasks the iPad may not be able to do... but there really isn't much I'm not able to do on just a regular iPad, so I imagine the Pro will be great. I am still a little worried about the size, but I am sure i'll get used to it fairly quickly.

Kal.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Wait, wait, wait... did you miss this part of my last post: "But if Windows is running good for you and anyone else, that's fantastic. I am not trying to, nor will I try to convince you otherwise?"

I suppose i'll reiterate...
I AM NOT here to convince you or anyone of anything, you don't have to believe my history with Microsoft... I honestly don't care what you do. I shared my experience to give some context to my views on Microsoft, that is all.
If you are a fan of Microsoft, continue to be one, that's great. I'm also glad you found my post hysterical, I wasn't quite aiming to be funny, though I am glad it made someone smile. :)
I didn't realize in order to have an opinion on this forum I had to prove my knowledge of computers or their software. Would you like me to re-word my last post or perhaps go into the past and get a video or photo for you; proving myself somehow? ;) ha ha.

Kal.

Thinking you may have to break out the crayons.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Im stuck on an ipad 3 and on os 9 its pathetically slow now. Plus ive bought everyone in my family new ipads ,, so its my turn now.

Oh and xmas is cming soon ..

I even had to turn auto correction iff , excuse the typisx. God this thing is soooooooo sloooooooooowwwww

Sandman3769

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Im stuck on an ipad 3 and on os 9 its pathetically slow now. Plus ive bought everyone in my family new ipads ,, so its my turn now.

Oh and xmas is cming soon ..

I even had to turn auto correction iff , excuse the typisx. God this thing is soooooooo sloooooooooowwwww
By coincidence, I am due for an upgrade. My iPad 2 is so slow it has become useless.

Reactions: George Dawes

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Anytime anyone say's "I am a Apple fan..." really means something totally different.
You have dogged Apple in just about every way possible, and seem to be smitten with the Surface Pro.
Are you trolling Apple sites?

"As everyone is entitled to their own opinion"... I just shared mine.

If I had hated Apple, I wouldn't have bought every single iPhone (except for 3G). I also bought MBPr, iPad Air and finally Apple Watch SS 42mm. But I am not overprotective to the brand.

I like the ecosystem, the products, but iPad Pro isn't in my eyes mature product yet, same goes for Apple Watch. These two devices, in my opinion, need a lot of polishing, at least for me, to be bought.

For now, I will be loyal to my MBPr and Carreras on my wrist.

And yes, in my eyes, Surface Pro is, FOR NOW, better/superior product.

No need to take it offensively whatsoever.

Last edited:

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
If I had hated Apple, I wouldn't have bought every single iPhone (except for 3G). I also bought MBPr, iPad Air and finally Apple Watch SS 42mm. But I am not overprotective to the brand.

I like the ecosystem, the products, but iPad Pro isn't in my eyes mature product yet, same goes for Apple Watch. These two devices, in my opinion, need a lot of polishing, at least for me, to be bought.

For now, I will be loyal to my MBPr and Carreras on my wrist.

And yes, in my eyes, Surface Pro is, FOR NOW, better/superior product.

No need to take it offensively whatsoever.

Oh, no, I'm sorry. Your post wasn't offensive at all, nor did I take it "offensively whatsoever".
I just think it was a troll stroll, thats all.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Apple Pencil + annotating PDFs and taking notes.

Plus having the 6+, my iPad mini is in an awkward place. I love the new iOS 9 multitasking changes and think they are better suited to the pro. The iPad Air still feels a little cramped in split screen

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Oh, no, I'm sorry. Your post wasn't offensive at all, nor did I take it "offensively whatsoever".
I just think it was a troll stroll, thats all.

Meh, pointless discussion. I have better things to do, than this. I just shared my opinion, which sometimes can be negative.

The exact way you're behaving right now, is the reason, why we're called iSheeps.

Blindly supporting every Apple's product, even though, these particular 2 aren't that great YET, but it will hopefully change in the future.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Price I think will be the factor for many people here. If it's 128GB is over £800 then it will be tough for people to part with their cash. I think of you buy the pencil and keyboard you will be looking out over a grand I think

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Price I think will be the factor for many people here. If it's 128GB is over £800 then it will be tough for people to part with their cash. I think of you buy the pencil and keyboard you will be looking out over a grand I think

thing is, even though it's a ton of cash, so many people in these forums are kids, so understandably pocket money and bank of mum and dad doesn't always stretch.

businesses will happily offset the costs immediately. and normal adults? well, maybe not as hard up as kids, but Apple always sell an ocean load whatever. the average punter is certainly spending his/her hard earned readies :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
thing is, even though it's a ton of cash, so many people in these forums are kids, so understandably pocket money and bank of mum and dad doesn't always stretch.

businesses will happily offset the costs immediately. and normal adults? well, maybe not as hard up as kids, but Apple always sell an ocean load whatever. the average punter is certainly spending his/her hard earned readies :)
The more I think about the pro the more I'm tempted

If I didn't get the mini 4 I don't think I would be as tempted. I felt pro is too big to just grab and start doing things with but for quick tasks I can grab my mini for so anything major the pro would be good for.

If I was to buy the pro price wise £800 would be the limit

If the sold my s6 edge and air 2 I could get about £500 for them which means paying about £300 for the pro.

If it's more than £800 it wouldn't be something I would do

As after all I'm very much happy with my air 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.