Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Why?
  1. 1080p is “good enough”. It’s still a sharp, high resolution display even if it’s not the highest. The XR/11 is made for the masses. Despite what the internet might have you think, the masses don’t care about the exact pixel count or resolution.
  2. To save costs on the “cheaper” phone. I’m sure that using a sub-1080p screen partially allowed Apple to put in a second camera *and* lower the price on the phone at the same time.
  3. Profits. Sure, it might only cost $3 per phone, but as another user pointed out, that’s $30 million if they end up selling 10 million phones. Nothing to sneeze at.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So many threads on this topic last year when the XR launched.

Native 1080p support would avoid the need to convert all media to a non-standard resolution, saving battery life as well as looking better

Instead, with 1080p (like on the previous Plus sized iPhones), the whole UI would have to be rendered @3x and then down scaled instead.

At the end of the day, 326ppi for their entry level phone is still excellent, and it allows them to use the same point resolution as the Max sized iPhones, but @2x instead of @3x.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
1080p mon should be still very cheap, let's say it is $3 more expensive for Apple to use 1080p screen. I really want an at least 1080p iPhone instead of 720p, so I skip upgrading iPhone again.

I read it’s because the iphone 11’s resolution is to do with it being twice the standard resolution of 896x414, which is the same as the standard display mode of the XS Max (just tripled).

Meanwhile, the 1080p display of previous plus models is actually 2208x1242 downsampled to 1920x1080. I suspect Apple did this for power saving reasons, but the reality is that on-the-fly scaling consumes resources and can lead to fuzziness with small texts or fine lines.

TL;DR, I believe Apple went with the atypical resolution for the iphone 11 out of battery life and optimisation concerns, not so much cost.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
1080p mon should be still very cheap, let's say it is $3 more expensive for Apple to use 1080p screen. I really want an at least 1080p iPhone instead of 720p, so I skip upgrading iPhone again.

You do have the option to buy the Pro models...

I had an XR, the screen is great. Really clear and sharp, yes my new Pro is better but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker to buy LCD again for me, only went with the Pro as I wanted the smaller size and third camera.

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Any actual facts to back this up or just opinion?

You can easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080p by eyes especially iphones all have big screen size now. I agree human cannot easily tell the difference between 1080p and 2k/4k except really "smell" the screen.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Because even 1080p isn't a great resolution these days but at least it's an established standard for "high definition" content.

The fact Apple can't even deliver 1080p in a $900 phone in 2019 is a joke.

There’s a lot more activities happening on an iPhone than specifically watching 1080p video. This is about optimization, not cost.

Heck, they have a $300 iPad that has a screen resolution greater than 1920x1080.

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
You do have the option to buy the Pro models...

I had an XR, the screen is great. Really clear and sharp, yes my new Pro is better but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker to buy LCD again for me, only went with the Pro as I wanted the smaller size and third camera.

I only need a phone instead of the "best phone", I don't need to buy that kind of very expensive model to show off.

Reactions: Ladybug

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

Because it doesn't f****** matter. Have you seen the screen in person? No? Do that. Go to an Apple Store and take a look at the Xr or 11. The screen looks amazing for what it is. It really is one of the best LCDs. Day-to-Day Usage matters, not some number on a spec sheet.

If you want a 1080p screen, get the 8 Plus. Or the 11 Pro line, or the X or Xs (Max). Apple has so many different iPhones now in their line-up, including models with OLED screens as you sure know.

You know what the issue is with smartphones these days, especially in the Android world? People are too focused on numbers.

People don't want a good enough screen anymore, they want a certain resolution. They don't want an all-day battery life, they want a battery with certain mAh. They don't want good performance, they want a certain benchmark value in Geekbench. They don't want enough RAM for the phone, they want atleast let's say 6 GBs.

Honestly it's stupid. If the phone performs well and it does everything you want it to do, why stress over a certain number? I understand when people complain about the missing headphone jack or the fact that Apple still ships the 5W charger in the box, but hey, that's Apple.

Last edited:

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Because it doesn't f****** matter. Have you seen the screen in person? No? Do that. Go to an Apple Store and take a look at the Xr or 11. The screen looks amazing for what it is. It really is one of the best LCDs. Day-to-Day Usage matters, not some number on a spec sheet.

If you want a 1080p screen, get the 8 Plus. Or the 11 Pro line, or the X or Xs (Max). Apple has so many different iPhones now in their line-up, including models with OLED screens as you sure know.

You know what the issue is with smartphones these days, especially in the Android world? People are to focused on numbers.

People don't want a good enough screen anymore, they want a certain resolution. They don't want an all-day battery life, they want a battery with certain mAh. They don't want good performance, they want a certain benchmark value in Geekbench. They don't enough RAM for the phone, they want atleast 6 GBs.

Honestly it's stupid. If the phone performs well and it does everything you want it to do, why stress over a certain number? I understand when people complain about the missing headphone jack or the fact that Apple still ships the 5W charger in the box, but hey, that's Apple.

I have seen the real phone, the screen resolution is bad, you can easily tell there are dots on the screen. 720p is a almost 10 years old standard, it is 2019 now not 2009.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Because even 1080p isn't a great resolution these days but at least it's an established standard for "high definition" content.

The fact Apple can't even deliver 1080p in a $900 phone in 2019 is a joke.
If Apple installed a 1080P screen the topic of this thread would be why doesn't the iPhone 11 have an OLED screen. If Apple installed an OLED screen the topic would be why doesn't the iPhone 11 have three cameras.

The thing is the people who are complaining wouldn't buy an iPhone if it had solid gold pixels that were pooped out by Siamese cats in the Sahara desert. Why would Apple make changes to a product that it's customer base isn't interested in.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I had a 6, then a 7+, then a XR. The resolution was excellent across all three of them.

Now I have a Pro Max and it’s still good enough (not significantly better though - the screen’s PenTile and you can very clearly tell).

Everybody else thinks it’s good enough and people are buying the things by the millions.

Reactions: barondebxl

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
You can easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080p by eyes especially iphones all have big screen size now. I agree human cannot easily tell the difference between 1080p and 2k/4k except really "smell" the screen.

I compared my Note 9 at 1440P, iPhone 6 and 11 Pro and could not tell any difference in sharpness. Even using the Note 9 in 1080P vs 1440P isn't really noticeable.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I compared my Note 9 at 1440P, iPhone 6 and 11 Pro and could not tell any difference in sharpness. Even using the Note 9 in 1080P vs 1440P isn't really noticeable.
It's because you can't directly compare LCD and OLED screen resolutions. It takes a higher resolution in OLED to look as good. I forget the exact numbers and the science behind it and too lazy to look it up at the moment LOL

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I have seen the real phone, the screen resolution is bad, you can easily tell there are dots on the screen. 720p is a almost 10 years old standard, it is 2019 now not 2009.

It's not bad, i have seen it myself many times in the store. Lesser quality than the X / Xs / Pro, yes. But those are also more money. You have to look very close in order to see individual pixels. But again, since you want the 1080p+ OLED and what not, why not get the 11 Pro / Xs? Sure, it's more expensive, but since you want the better screen, it should be worth it for you. I'm not even kidding, i'm serious.

After a couple days with the 11 you don't notice the difference anymore. I also had to get used to my 8 Plus since i came from a 6s. The Plus model was huge at first. Now it's a normal size.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It's because you can't directly compare LCD and OLED screen resolutions. It takes a higher resolution in OLED to look as good. I forget the exact numbers and the science behind it and too lazy to look it up at the moment LOL
I also just checked against my 8 Plus and couldn’t really tell a difference. I think OP is getting hung up on a resolution and seeing things that aren’t really there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.