Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
It is not about resolution, but about pixel density, which is 326 ppi, which has been the standard density of all iPhone retina displays since the iPhone 4, except for the plus size models which have 401 ppi screens. Now Apple could have used either LCD fab, 326 ppi or 401 ppi, but note that the plus size models have 16:9 screens, but the iPhone 11 does not. So if Apple wanted the aspect ratio of the iPhone 11 (XR) but went with the 401 ppi fab, then the screen would still have an awkward resolution (I don't know if it would be higher than 1080P and if video has to be scaled up in that case, which could be worse). Also consider that the 326 ppi fab could have better high volume production yields than the 401 ppi screens (and the 401 ppi screen could not be delivered in the quantities Apple needs).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No, you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a phone screen at normal viewing difference. iPad sized screens, yes. Phones, no. This is a waste of a thread.
People who dislike Apple need a place to vent so why not let those feelings out. Feelings are like farts, they might stink but you don't want to hold them in. Next year it's going to be "OMG Apple finally went 1080P while the rest of the world is on OLED" ;)

Reactions: Azathoth123

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It’s so they can give you a reason to upgrade next year!
Screen tech is one area where the iPhone has been and still is YYYEEAARRSS behind!
If the iPhone 12 sticks with a LCD and doesn’t get an OLED then Apple really should be halving the price! It’s a bit of an insult actually to charge that much for an LCD screen, and I have a XR!!
And yes you CAN tell the difference between 720P and 1080P in a phone screen and YES you can tell the difference between an LCD and OLED phone screen!
People in here talking about DPI are also literally clueless, because it makes no sense as the 5.8” XS and Pro models have far higher resolution screens then the XR and 11 do, higher resolution means higher DPI. So NO Apple has not been using the same ‘retina’ DPI for 3 years now as the original iPhone X also had a higher resolution 5.8” screen.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BluefinTuna

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
It is not about resolution, but about pixel density, which is 326 ppi, which has been the standard density of all iPhone retina displays since the iPhone 4, except for the plus size models which have 401 ppi screens. Now Apple could have used either LCD fab, 326 ppi or 401 ppi, but note that the plus size models have 16:9 screens, but the iPhone 11 does not. So if Apple wanted the aspect ratio of the iPhone 11 (XR) but went with the 401 ppi fab, then the screen would still have an awkward resolution (I don't know if it would be higher than 1080P and if video has to be scaled up in that case, which could be worse). Also consider that the 326 ppi fab could have better high volume production yields than the 401 ppi screens (and the 401 ppi screen could not be delivered in the quantities Apple needs).

standard for Apple is not the standard of the world. 720p youtube was the best long long time ago....

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Screen tech is one area where the iPhone has been and still is YYYEEAARRSS behind!
If the iPhone 12 stick with LCD and doesn’t get an OLED then Apple really should be halving the price! It’s a bit of an insult actually to charge that much for an LCD screen, and I have a XR!!
And you chose to buy it. You mustn't have felt too insulted at the time.

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Like I said in this thread before, the Xr/11 have the 1080P option in YouTube. You aren’t limited to 720P, it takes the 1080P version and downsamples it to the native resolution.

Then basically it is "720p"

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
standard for Apple is not the standard of the world. 720p youtube was the best long long time ago....
You want to know something funny.... Most cell phone carriers downgrade video to 480P. This means unless you’re on wifi you’re not even getting 720P on any phone.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
6.1-inch display is not small at all

you said 1080p gaming is most common then 720p is not fine at all
You’re not following what I am saying.

1080P resolution is the most common to this day. Although usually on much larger screens.

You are speaking of 720P as if this is a old lcd tv lol.

The iPhone 11 is 828P.

The iPhone 11 has 1.5 million pixels on a 6” screen with very high pixel density.

720P is only 900,000 pixels.

^ The difference is drastic.

a 4K 55” TV only has about 79 pixels per inch vs a iPhone 11 at over 325 pixels per inch. So, if his iPhone 11 isn’t good enough then no 4K tv is either at about 60-80ppi.

it is NOT 720P
You want to know something funny.... Most cell phone carriers downgrade video to 480P. This means unless you’re on wifi you’re not even getting 720P on any phone.

I have to pay extra for a extravagant plan just to get full 1080P Streaming lol.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

You just don't get it. First of all it is 828p, not 720p. Second, if you watch the 1080p version of a YouTube Video on the 11, it will look better than the same video on 720p. I wrote this earlier. I had the 6s for 3 years and that one has a 750p display, so i know what i'm talking about.

Since you don't like the 11, why not get the Pro OLED iPhone or an Android?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
And you chose to buy it. You mustn't have felt too insulted at the time.

I bought the XR because I was utterly insulted by Apples pricing for the XS! I still don’t think the XR is worth its price tag..
Luckily all the rumours say it’ll get an OLED next year and that means a higher resolution, because if it sticks to the same low resolution and an OLED it’ll be the joke of the mobile phone world.. their are many FAR better screens out there on devices costing the same or a lot less..

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I bought the XR because I was utterly insulted by Apples pricing for the XS! I still don’t think the XR is worth its price tag..
Luckily all the rumours say it’ll get an OLED next year and that means a higher resolution, because if it sticks to the same low resolution and an OLED it’ll be the joke of the mobile phone world.. their are many FAR better screens out there on devices costing the same or a lot less..
So you didn't want to pay what Apple wanted for an OLED phone so you bought the LCD one. Why not buy one of those "many FAR better screens out there on devices costing the same or a lot less"? Your story doesn't make sense. I don't see how if you believe what you're typing then still bought the XR. That would be like me saying the 11 Pro max doesn't even compare to the Note 10+ and it's more expensive but yea I bought it anyway LOL

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
If Apple installed a 1080P screen the topic of this thread would be why doesn't the iPhone 11 have an OLED screen. If Apple installed an OLED screen the topic would be why doesn't the iPhone 11 have three cameras.

The thing is the people who are complaining wouldn't buy an iPhone if it had solid gold pixels that were pooped out by Siamese cats in the Sahara desert. Why would Apple make changes to a product that it's customer base isn't interested in.

As you’ve noted, Apple can’t win.

1. People rant for a cheaper iPhone
2. Apple builds cheaper iPhone, and a darned excellent one at that according to almost everyone, the Xr/11
3. People rant because excellent cheaper phone doesn’t have all the features of the flagships (at the same cheaper price).

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Well the iPhone 11 is a great value. Look past the display for a minute, it is the most powerful mobile phone in the world destroying many high end desktops and laptops in single threaded performance all for $699

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

2. Apple builds cheaper iPhone, and a darned excellent one at that according to almost everyone, the Xr/11
3. People rant because excellent cheaper phone doesn’t have all the features of the flagships (at the same cheaper price).
Wait you mean there are people in these very forums that will complain regardless of what Apple does? It's not possible that they hate Apple or something?? No way I don't believe you for one minute!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
So you didn't want to pay what Apple wanted for an OLED phone so you bought the LCD one. Why not buy one of those "many FAR better screens out there on devices costing the same or a lot less"? Your story doesn't make sense. I don't see how if you believe what you're typing then still bought the XR. That would be like me saying the 11 Pro max doesn't even compare to the Note 10+ and it's more expensive but yea I bought it anyway LOL
Erm..... because I love the Apple Watch with ITS OLED screen..
Oh and FYI I use zoomed screen mode which Apple doesn’t offer on ANY of its 5.8” models, otherwise I would have bought the XS this year with the price drop.
You don’t seem to fully grasp how Apple locks you in. Want that lovely Apple Watch with its medical certified heart rate and ECG monitor? Tough you HAVE to have an iPhone too..
I may yet get used to the size of the 6.1” iPhone, it’s slowly becoming less annoying, but that doesn’t mean I have to particularly like its screen tech. I also use the zoomed screen mode on it all the time.

your opinion seems to be based on only your own needs and requirements, and they won’t fit everyone else.
There are a few people who have the iPhone because of the Apple Watch.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
If the iPhone 12 sticks with a LCD and doesn’t get an OLED then Apple really should be halving the price! It’s a bit of an insult actually to charge that much for an LCD screen, and I have a XR!!
And yes you CAN tell the difference between 720P and 1080P in a phone screen and YES you can tell the difference between an LCD and OLED phone screen!
People in here talking about DPI are also literally clueless, because it makes no sense as the 5.8” XS and Pro models have far higher resolution screens then the XR and 11 do, higher resolution means higher DPI. So NO Apple has not been using the same ‘retina’ DPI for 3 years now as the original iPhone X also had a higher resolution 5.8” screen.

The iPhone XR was $749 with LCD

the Galaxy S10E was $749 with LCD

what are you even talking about?

phones are priced according to what features they have. Apple has even reduced the price of the iPhone 11 to $699

If you want AMOLED you can spend $999 and buy one a S10 or a iPhone 11 Pro

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
The whole "it's not 1080P" was a huge thing people in the Android community were saying to make fun of iPhone when the XR came out. This is just round two of that. Sadly most people only know screen resolution as a spec and nothing else. These are the same people who buy the cheapest 4K TV and wonder why it looks terrible.

It probably looks terrible because you're using AirPlay which is limited to 1080p

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Not what happened. Definitely not.

Apple raised the price of the iPhone, which has historically been $650. Apple decided to raise it to $1,000 adding features which are available in devices for a much lower price. Apple decided to stick with an old design for four years (since iPhone 6 to iPhone 8) so it could launch a new one for a significant higher price. The iPhone XR is not a “cheaper model”, it is still $50 more expensive than any base iPhone used to cost in the past, under Steve Jobs. Tech is supposed to get cheaper over time, and not more expensive.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy M30 as my secondary phone. It costs some $200, and it has a bright 6.4 AMOLED screen with a 2280x1080 resolution, with just a small notch. I put it side-by-side with my iPhone X screen and I cannot tell which one is better. It has facial recognition and 64 GB of storage. And a 5,000 mAh battery. Of course it is made of plastic and does not have some fancy features such as wireless charging. Much slower processor and cameras not as good. But the basic stuff is all there, with terrific battery life. If this phone costs $200, there is no reason why Apple should not be able to deliver a $650 OLED iPhone 11.

Tim Cook is being a shareholder-pleaser with the strategy of market segmentation. He does not care about offering second-tier iPhones and iPads so there could be a price range for the higher-end. Steve Jobs had a different philosophy, and the iPhone only became the huge product it is because there was only one model available every year, and lesser iPhones were never produced. It was either the iPhone or the user should look elsewhere. Now you have iPhone, cheaper and worse iPhone, or better and more expensive iPhone.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

Is that a U.S. thing? Phone companies over there are even bigger rip-offs than Apple...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Erm..... because I love the Apple Watch with ITS OLED screen..
Oh and FYI I use zoomed screen mode which Apple doesn’t offer on ANY of its 5.8” models, otherwise I would have bought the XS this year with the price drop.
You don’t seem to fully grasp how Apple locks you in. Want that lovely Apple Watch with its medical certified heart rate and ECG monitor? Tough you HAVE to have an iPhone too..
I may yet get used to the size of the 6.1” iPhone, it’s slowly becoming less annoying, but that doesn’t mean I have to particularly like its screen tech. I also use the zoomed screen mode on it all the time.

your opinion seems to be based on only your own needs and requirements, and they won’t fit everyone else.
No one forced you to buy the Apple Watch. You locked yourself in on that. Samsung makes watches that some would argue are better.

You said my opinion seems to be based on only my own needs and requirements... BINGO you hit that nail right on the head! This is why it doesn't make sense that you bought something that didn't meet your needs and requirements. I put myself in your shoes and think why would I do this? It doesn't make sense at all. If Apple makes a product that doesn't work for me I'm not going to buy it. Not every product can be made for all users. If that was true all phones would be the same.
Is that a U.S. thing? Phone companies over there are even bigger rip-offs than Apple...
It's been a US thing for a while now. I'm not sure if other countries do it. It's one way they save on data. Some carriers offer high end unlimited plans that allow 1080P. These plans are usually a bit more expensive than the regular "unlimited" plans

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Youtube usage is far from the basis of which an iPhone should be judged.

720p: 920,000 pixels
iPhone 11: 1,555,000 pixels
1080p: 2,073,000 pixels

Yup, math checks out. Although the iPhone 11 has a pixel count closer to 1080p, it is basically 720p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.