Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple are not stupid, bet there is more profit in the 11, cheaper parts etc.

They also know that the regular user finds the 11 s-ex’s more than sufficient hence can offer reasonable value for money which they can’t really with the 11 Pro devices.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
lol, see, you know I'm right when you don't wanna do the test that clearly shows how low-res the iPhone 11 is.
After reading you drone on and on about this test, I decided to give it a shot for s@#ts and grins. Here is a pic of my iPhone 11 with that hi resolution photo that you insist on using.Yes, I zoomed in and back out as directed. As you can clearly see, your sample pic of whatever phone that is is waaaay worse than my iPhone 11. As a matter of fact, I think it looks just fine on my phone but I'm sure you'll disagree. Sorry this doesn't fit your agenda. By the way, the photo of my screen was taken with an iPhone 8 Plus.
7CD388FC-0832-4B80-8608-D598E5B25046_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
After reading you drone on and on about this test, I decided to give it a shot for s@#ts and grins. Here is a pic of my iPhone 11 with that hi resolution photo that you insist on using.Yes, I zoomed in and back out as directed. As you can clearly see, your sample pic of whatever phone that is is waaaay worse than my iPhone 11. As a matter of fact, I think it looks just fine on my phone but I'm sure you'll disagree. Sorry this doesn't fit your agenda. By the way, the photo of my screen was taken with an iPhone 8 Plus.
View attachment 892254
I'll admit that I made a mistake using that image as a test, as I did that with an iPhone 5S with an even lower resolution display and the image isn't even equivalent to 12MP like what an iPhone 11 captures. SMFH

No matter, my point still stands because you cannot argue facts: A lower resolution screen cannot display all pixels of a higher res content, that much is obvious. And once a content exceeds a certain threshold, then the pixels begin to scrunch up and look ugly AF. When software decides to smooth everything out, then it ain't showing all the detail, it's losing it. And it's not always where software smoothes images out when viewed in full, as I've seen when viewing comics and illustrations on Safari, Behance, File Hub, etc.

And I just tested it on my iPhone 6S, seems like Photos/Safari is smoothing regardless if you follow my method and sometimes it doesn't. This photo worked for my iPhone 6S, zoom in and out in Photos app and you can see how AWFUL the lines are, but it's still smoothing for me. If you view it in any other third-party app like I have on File Hub or Documents, then there is no smoothing effect at all and its even worse.

Here is an illustration when viewed in full resolution, zoom all the way out then it should look awful.

I've been talking about viewing content in full resolution, not software tricks to make it look fine in Apple's first party apps.

Viewing 4K videos in portrait is also noticeable that the pixels aren't enough on the iPhone. If you really wanna understand what I'm talking about then view 4 to 12 MP photos in full resolution, probably not the Photos app.

Also quit with the "agenda" BS too lol, you make it sound like I have some ulterior motive. I don't, I simply want the best, which is making improvements, how could anyone argue against that, like who doesn't want a better display? So to me, it seems like the people who try so hard to defend this is the one with the sheepish agenda, and those who don't care what they spent $900 for.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
You are talking about resolution but doesn’t take the lower sub pixels and ****** Pentile Matrix into account. RGB is far superior to Pentile. I have both displays here and there is almost no difference i say almost because of course there is a very small difference if you are looking for it and touching the screen with your nose. I hope apple introduces an RGB Oled and 1080p in the next iPhone or Micro LED. Now im very pleased with the LCD and with the price tag.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
You are talking about resolution but doesn’t take the lower sub pixels and ****** Pentile Matrix into account. RGB is far superior to Pentile. I have both displays here and there is almost no difference i say almost because of course there is a very small difference if you are looking for it and touching the screen with your nose. I hope apple introduces an RGB Oled and 1080p in the next iPhone or Micro LED. Now im very pleased with the LCD and with the price tag.
I AIN’T TALKING ABOUT IPHONES WITH PENTILE DISPLAYS, IF YOU’RE TALKING TO ME BUD

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
This thread is all about the Iphone 11 and 11 Pro Display so no we are not talking about the those displays, lets talk about some other displays. Oh Boy just go inta a store and look at the 11 and Pro. The 11 is perfectly fine.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
This thread is all about the Iphone 11 and 11 Pro Display so no we are not talking about the those displays, lets talk about some other displays. Oh Boy just go inta a store and look at the 11 and Pro. The 11 is perfectly fine.

I have both here, if you can’t see a difference maybe time for an eye check.
[automerge]1580806385[/automerge]
Doesn’t matter anyway all these 11 v 11 pro threads come down to people are buying the 11 as it’s bigger, and cheaper. /end

Reactions: MarkX and nill1234

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s definitely price related.
Absolutely it’s price related. The iPhone 11 is sensibly priced and is inline with iPhone pricing prior to the launch of the iPhone X. Those who are passionate about pixel counting will buy the 11 Pro and those who don’t care and just want a decent enough iPhone will buy the 11. Why some can’t accept this i’ll never know.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Stop being so condescending, there is more than pixels the difference, 11 is priced sensible as it’s cheap all around.

Reactions: 26139

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
if IPHONE 11 screen is so bad as you make it seem same with XR

then

why is it the BEST SELLING IPHONES and dominating not only the total iPhone sales but the whole smartphone sales

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Stop being so condescending, there is more than pixels the difference, 11 is priced sensible as it’s cheap all around.
I assume that accusation is aimed at me as it was after my post? A bit rich don’t you think? The iPhone 11 shares the same internal components as the 11 Pro. The screen, chassis and lack of third camera are the only differences and none of these components are cheap. You only have to do a side by side comparison on Apples compare tab to realise these devices are so close in performance and spec bar a few premium features like OLED, stainless steel body and third lens. Now if the iPhone 11 is ‘cheap all round’ then what does that say about the inflated price of the 11 Pro? I bet you’ve never even properly compared.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Doesn’t matter anyway all these 11 v 11 pro threads come down to people are buying the 11 as it’s bigger, and cheaper. /end
And the other people are buying the 11 Pro/Max because the "specs are better". I had an iPhone X and other than the blacks and the black smear when scrolling I saw no difference.

Take the average consumer in an Apple store and show them the 11 and 11 Pro side by side and tell them one is $300 more and they are going to want to know why."What can I do with the more expensive phone that I can't do with the cheaper one?" If you try to explain LCD vs OLED and PPI they probably aren't going to know what you're talking about. They are going to say the $300 more expensive phone display doesn't look any different or like it's worth the extra cost. Why? Because the average person doesn't give a rat's a$$ about specs and screen types. If it looks damn near the same, the $300 price difference is a huge hurdle to a lot. Add in the fact that the "cheaper" phone has a bigger screen and there is more confusion.

Bottom line, these specs and technologies mean something to you as they do to some others. They don't to everyone. I am quite happy with my 11 as are many millions of others. If you think the 11 is subpar, that's your prerogative. You're happy paying more for the "better" phone. Great.

It just seems silly to me that some are so determined to show how "bad" the 11"s screen is by trying to get people to to look at certain images on their phone that might show some sort of shortcoming or lack of detail. It's a 6" screen for chrissakes.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
And the other people are buying the 11 Pro/Max because the "specs are better". I had an iPhone X and other than the blacks and the black smear when scrolling I saw no difference.

Take the average consumer in an Apple store and show them the 11 and 11 Pro side by side and tell them one is $300 more and they are going to want to know why."What can I do with the more expensive phone that I can't do with the cheaper one?" If you try to explain LCD vs OLED and PPI they probably aren't going to know what you're talking about. They are going to say the $300 more expensive phone display doesn't look any different or like it's worth the extra cost. Why? Because the average person doesn't give a rat's a$$ about specs and screen types. If it looks damn near the same, the $300 price difference is a huge hurdle to a lot. Add in the fact that the "cheaper" phone has a bigger screen and there is more confusion.

Bottom line, these specs and technologies mean something to you as they do to some others. They don't to everyone. I am quite happy with my 11 as are many millions of others. If you think the 11 is subpar, that's your prerogative. You're happy paying more for the "better" phone. Great.

It just seems silly to me that some are so determined to show how "bad" the 11"s screen is by trying to get people to to look at certain images on their phone that might show some sort of shortcoming or lack of detail. It's a 6" screen for chrissakes.

It is nothing close to 6” when you watch 16:9 content. This kind of long phone is not practical since most YouTube videos are still 16:9 and you mainly look at around 1/2 of the screen when you keep reading. The old kind of 16:9 5"5 screen is much bigger than iPhone 11/12/13 when watching 16:9 contents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.