Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Then your eyesight must be extremely poor then, like actually. You don't even need the best vision to notice it either, or your just bull **** me. You are seriously missing my point, and the iPhone 11's display is lower resolution. Plenty of things that the phone wants to display are well over what it can show, the photos the iPhone 11 takes are way more than iPhone 11's display resolution, 4K content, books, illustrations, etc. The more pixels the better.

The 11 Pro's don't have enough resolution either, but at least it can display more pixels than an 11 can, which makes it all the more uglier on that model.

Resolution matters in the context of viewing distance. I’m providing you with my conclusions based on real world testing.

Feel free to keep telling yourself that an ever higher spec gets you results - and blame others when they point you to reality. I did my tests. As long as you believe there is a benefit - fine.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Resolution matters in the context of viewing distance. I’m providing you with my conclusions based on real world testing.

Feel free to keep telling yourself that an ever higher spec gets you results - and blame others when they point you to reality. I did my tests. As long as you believe there is a benefit - fine.
WTF are you talking about, either you don't know what I'm talking about or you're just lying.

For the situation I'M talking about, there's too many pixels to be displayed on a low-res display, and the pixels appear overly saturated. I even uploaded pictures to this forum to demonstrate, you can clearly see it no matter the distance. Look at the pictures.

You're so-called "real world testing" must be flawed cuz you are probably doing it wrong. Post pics to this forum from your iPhone with the Unsplash image (that I provided being displayed) within the Photos app and Safari app, with the image fully zoomed out, without the initial smoothing effect on it. Cuz I think you're BSing

You're just in denial

"Resolution matters in the context viewing distance" lol the iPhones literally try to scrunch up as much pixels in a low resolution display, you can see it's atrocity over an arm's length.

I feel like you still think I'm talking about low resolution images smh

Edit: I'd rather have you provide a video of you doing it, cuz you can easily fake it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
WTF are you talking about, either you don't know what I'm talking about or you're just lying.

For the situation I'M talking about, there's too many pixels to be displayed on a low-res display, and the pixels appear overly saturated. I even uploaded pictures to this forum to demonstrate, you can clearly see it no matter the distance. Look at the pictures.

You're so-called "real world testing" must be flawed cuz you are probably doing it wrong. Post pics to this forum from your iPhone with the Unsplash image (that I provided being displayed) within the Photos app and Safari app, with the image fully zoomed out, without the initial smoothing effect on it. Cuz I think you're BSing

You're just in denial

"Resolution matters in the context viewing distance" lol the iPhones literally try to scrunch up as much pixels in a low resolution display, you can see it's atrocity over an arm's length.

Edit: I'd rather have you provide a video of you doing it, cuz you can easily fake it.

I don’t need to subscribe to your self proclaimed featuritis-measurements. I tested said devices in my own use case and that’s precisely what I have always referred to.

You go on getting exited by the next best feature list and bs yourself that that stuff matters in real life.

Smh.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

You're just in denial

What you’re talking seems to be a software issue. Some kind of bad scaling.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

You're just in denial

The iPhone 11 has a decent screen though for phone use. I must say I was impressed with it in person after reading people on here criticising it.

Reactions: russell_314

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Profit margins at all costs...

Everybody Here already knows that. It doesn’t change that Apple uses a quality display. Apple/Tim Cook is a master at utilizing specific hardware maximizing profit. But it doesn’t change the quality that they put into the product itself.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
What about the comparison i posted, there is almost no difference in sharpness, still the OLED has advantages in form factor and true blacks but we can all agree that the 11 and XR screens are damn good and in day to day use perfectly fine.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
What about the comparison i posted, there is almost no difference in sharpness, still the OLED has advantages in form factor and true blacks but we can all agree that the 11 and XR screens are damn good and in day to day use perfectly fine.

Sure, you get what you pay for.

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
Tim is the kind of man that would sell a drowning man a glass of water and charge you $10 because it’s Apple Water designed by Apple in California and made in sweatshops in China.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Answer: Because the resolution is enough for this screen size and for a typical viewing distance.

Sure, one can always up the resolution and claim it's even sharper. But diminishing returns are a thing, and it takes power to push all these pixels on the screen. And this power takes battery life. ProMotion is the way to go (hopefully in the 2020 iPhones) - and all the other vendors that push 90/120 Hz displays that push this framerate all the time will have huge problems in regards to battery life.

Reactions: MartyvH

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The screen on the 11 is sharp and perfectly fine I totally agree. There’s a reason it sells so well. It’s sensibly priced and generally people away from tech forums aren’t looking at their screen under a magnifying glass and comparing them to higher priced OLED models. It’s acceptable and a popular device. At the end of the day it displays the same iOS views as any other iPhone and people buy what they feel is best for their needs.

Reactions: MarkX and Ladybug

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
The screen on the 11 is sharp and perfectly fine I totally agree. There’s a reason it sells so well. It’s sensibly priced and generally people away from tech forums aren’t looking at their screen under a magnifying glass and comparing them to higher priced OLED models. It’s acceptable and a popular device. At the end of the day it displays the same iOS views as any other iPhone and people buy what they feel is best for their needs.

In a nutshell this is the long and short of it!

In my experience with people outside these forums the tech specs are secondary to price and OS.

With Apple you either pay top dollar or you get the 11. The 11 and it’s “inferior” screen provides exactly the same IOS experience as the more expensive pro and that’s all that most people care about.

On Android you have a much wider choice, you can pay as little as £100 all the way up to £1000 odd. With Android there’s a reason the midrange Samsung A series was the best selling phones in Europe for the 2019, you no longer have to pay silly money to get a great experience with all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Tim is the kind of man that would sell a drowning man a glass of water and charge you $10 because it’s Apple Water designed by Apple in California and made in sweatshops in China.

Mentored by Jobs is what you’re telling us. ;)

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t need to subscribe to your self proclaimed featuritis-measurements. I tested said devices in my own use case and that’s precisely what I have always referred to.

You go on getting exited by the next best feature list and bs yourself that that stuff matters in real life.

Smh.
lol, see, you know I'm right when you don't wanna do the test that clearly shows how low-res the iPhone 11 is. You insist you do your test for your use-case but it doesn't cover what I'm talking about and what you're arguing with me about, yet you continue to argue with me.

But yeah, I'll let Apple give their blind fans low-res iPhones so Apple doesn't need to work hard and find ways to try and improve the performance, display, and battery life. You'll stick with crap displays, and I guess you don't wanna see improvements alongside the display. You'll defend whatever Apple spoon feeds you.

If you ain't going to push Apple to improve anything, then they aren't going to do anything. Raise your standards, you make things difficult with everybody who wants improvements on iPhones. And you don't need to push one thing to improve smh

And clearly, you need enough pixels on the display to make a high-res image look good, but you probably still think I'm talking about low-res images lol

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm so glad Android fanboys care so much about the screen resolution of iPhones. What would this forum be like without the occasional iPhone sucks thread ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
lol, see, you know I'm right when you don't wanna do the test that clearly shows how low-res the iPhone 11 is. You insist you do your test for your use-case but it doesn't cover what I'm talking about and what you're arguing with me about, yet you continue to argue with me.

But yeah, I'll let Apple give their blind fans low-res iPhones so Apple doesn't need to work hard and find ways to try and improve the performance, display, and battery life. You'll stick with crap displays, and I guess you don't wanna see improvements alongside the display. You'll defend whatever Apple spoon feeds you.

If you ain't going to push Apple to improve anything, then they aren't going to do anything. Raise your standards, you make things difficult with everybody who wants improvements on iPhones. And you don't need to push one thing to improve smh

And clearly, you need enough pixels on the display to make a high-res image look good, but you probably still think I'm talking about low-res images lol

Ah, topped it of with some ad hominem nonsense, super classy. Why am I not surprised. Roll on then and keep pushing the envelope you brave knight. What a gift to humanity you are, it cannot even be charted.

In the real world the 11 is probably the most popular iPhone and smartphone and people will continue to be satisfied with it.

We live in strange times, right.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Because even 1080p isn't a great resolution these days but at least it's an established standard for "high definition" content.

The fact Apple can't even deliver 1080p in a $900 phone in 2019 is a joke.

I'm not sure I understand the need on a screen that's a few inches big.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Ah, topped it of with some ad hominem nonsense, super classy. Why am I not surprised. Roll on then and keep pushing the envelope you brave knight. What a gift to humanity you are, it cannot even be charted.

In the real world the 11 is probably the most popular iPhone and smartphone and people will continue to be satisfied with it.

How about you do the test to show how completely wrong you are xD

we both know I'm right, this is why you're so reluctant to do it.

You sure enjoy you're time with me instead of doing it! do it do it do it, just do it lol! You either know I'm right, or you're clueless what to even do and you don't even know what you're trying to test, because you just wanna argue.

You don't need to ruin it for everyone else because of your terrible eyesight, these phones deserves a higher resolution for the price. It shouldn't be okay to be given the bare minimum from Apple, I bet if they still continued to give iPhones 64gb for base instead of giving you more for the same price, you'd still defend that and their terrible displays.

Stop with the lame replies about being a 'brave knight' and 'what a gift to humanity' I am, they're cringey comebacks and are irrelevant. Just do the test ?‍♂️ lol you're stubborn af

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016

Wow, cute defense. "In the real world the 11 is probably the most popular iPhone and smartphone and people will continue to be satisfied with it" AIN'T A DEFENCE, AND IS A POOR ARGUMENT FOR WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. You are just jerking Apple here, it's really obvious.

Just because it's a popular phone doesn't make the iPhone display GOOD. A phone can be sufficient enough overall, but Apple can do better and is lacking in the phone's resolution. You are missing the f'in point. There is room for improvement, yet you don't wanna see any of that, WTF, you sound like a blind fan to me. and just because your eyesight is terrible doesn't mean everyone else's is, I can notice the over saturation of pixels over an arm's length.

SMFH

Reactions: bobsamm

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Why don’t people realise that most people aren’t worrying about whether their phones have LCD or OLED screens? If the iPhone 11 truly had a sub par screen, then why is it so popular and why don’t people away from tech forums notice?
People are buying it because its the cheapest and newest iPhones available. People AIN'T BUYING IT FOR THE DISPLAY. jesus

the iPhone 11 is sufficient enough for everyone. And everything is NOT ALL BLACK AND WHITE. There are people who think $900 is expensive and they feel like its deserving of a better display for the price, etc. Why the f do people not want a better display??

But when you own one, you know it's terrible if it can't show as much pixel as the content you're viewing. In regards to LCD vs OLED, blacks look awful. You don't need to be tech savvy to notice it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
People are buying it because its the cheapest and newest iPhones available. People AIN'T BUYING IT FOR THE DISPLAY. jesus

the iPhone 11 is sufficient enough for everyone. And everything is NOT ALL BLACK AND WHITE. There are people who think $900 is expensive and they feel like its deserving of a better display for the price, etc. Why the f do people not want a better display??

But when you own one, you know it's terrible if it can't show as much pixel as the content you're viewing. In regards to LCD vs OLED, blacks look awful. You don't need to be tech savvy to notice it.
Which tells you that screen resolution/pixel density isn’t the main draw of a phone in that market segment. The iPhone 11 is sensibly priced and is attractive to buyers who are enjoying the fact they’ve saved a significant amount of money compared to the other new iPhones Apple sell.

It’s not about ‘not wanting a better display’ but people not feeling the iPhone 11’s display is bad enough to warrant complaining about it. I use an iPhone with an LCD display, do you think I give a toss if the blacks aren’t as black as an OLED iPhone? My life is more interesting than that lol. If you care about it so much, fork out for the 11 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.