Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Companies, including Apple, probably do the trickle release from time to time when they feel they are that ahead of the competition—but not in the case of this thread. I don’t think some people here are understanding the fact that for those who don’t see the difference, which is likely the vast majority out there, increased resolution beyond 326 PPI is both superfluous and detrimental (cost and battery life). So it’s not something they should ever want on future iterations of their iPhone.

Maybe a minority can see the difference, probably most of them having to really look for it and compare side by side. But I think mostly it’s just people having a complex of wanting to say/know they have the highest specs in the industry, regardless of whether or not it’s actually a good thing to have.

If it’s just complaining about cost, and wanting more for the money, as someone who doesn’t notice the resolution difference, I’d much rather Apple give me something that will actually benefit me, like better cameras or more storage.

True. The Apple ecosystem has such weak competition. No other company has an ecosystem 1) so filled out and well-executed, and 2) focused on privacy. Microsoft probably has the best position to do this in regard to their resources and business model (not ad-based), but they gave up on phones which is basically the biggest piece of the puzzle. Also their obligation to support a million OEMs doesn’t help.

What baffles me is that here we are in 2020 and Apple have been delighting customers and printing money for over 15 years and not a single company has tried to emulate their business model.

Are Apple really truly unique with no other company able to be like them?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
What baffles me is that here we are in 2020 and Apple have been delighting customers and printing money for over 15 years and not a single company has tried to emulate their business model.

Are Apple really truly unique with no other company able to be like them?
Yeah I think Apple gained such a gradual lead that by the time other companies saw what Apple had, it was too late. Large organizations are set in their ways and very difficult to pivot. And small companies don’t have the means.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
At the end of the day the iPhone 11 is the perfect option for the very vast majority of people, it does everything that the average consumer cares about to an extremely high standard.

Also to follow up from that tweet from Jon Prossor, I recommend people watch his YouTube news show, he actually understands the market and speaks the honest truth. It’s great stuff.

That’s strange as the 6s Plus had a better and higher resolution display than the XR/11.

Higher resolution? Yes
Better? No

On a screen that size I’ll take features like HDR any day.

There is so much more to a good display then just resolution

Reactions: MartyvH and profets

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Since when did the iPhone XR/11 have a HDR screen?

It’s not exactly the real version but eh.

Better then nothing and still better then what you’d get otherwise

Last edited:

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
It’s not exactly the real version but eh.

Better then nothing and still better then what you’d get otherwise
So fake HDR, got it.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Whatever will they do?
emoji15.png

Argue on MacRumors that they have a variation that isn’t HDR but is HDR to their eyes...Gotta love MR sometimes ?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Those who care so much are usually happy to pay the premium for OLED phones or go with older OLED models at the same price point.
Personally I can't use any of Apples OLED phones due to PWM. So I care very much about Apples alternative to OLED, coming from a 7 plus using a 1080p display. The XR and 11 have a lower resolution and it's obvious to me. It's disappointing and leaves me with little options. I opted for a new battery and this wasn't about cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Personally I can't use any of Apples OLED phones due to PWM. So I care very much about Apples alternative to OLED, coming from a 7 plus using a 1080p display. The XR and 11 have a lower resolution and it's obvious to me. It's disappointing and leaves me with little options. I opted for a new battery and this wasn't about cost.

What’s interesting about PWM, is there some who are intelligent enough on here that narrowed Apples OLED displays are causing the nausea/headaches tendencies. But I wonder, for those who do experience headaches when using one of the iPhones with an OLED panel, do they truly know what’s causing the headaches? And/or do they just assume it’s a medical condition versus considering it’s the iPhone it’s actually causing the root of the issue?

The questions are rhetorical, but nonetheless, it poses an interesting thought.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I just switched from a long time android usage to IOS. Currently i use the Oneplus 7 Pro and the Display is amazing but i mainly switch because of the apple watch. I just bought the IP 11 128 because i can get the IP 11 and the AW 5 cellular for the same price the pro 256 costs. I hope the display is ok. So after all the eco system made me switch. There is no better smart and sportswatch than the AW. If the AW works as expected my wifes android is next.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
I have seen the real phone, the screen resolution is bad, you can easily tell there are dots on the screen. 720p is a almost 10 years old standard, it is 2019 now not 2009.
I looked yesterday and really could see very little, if any, difference in screen quality between the 11 and 11 pro max

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Wow. Why lie. I just don't get it. I have a pro and what you are saying is just crap. If you cannot see the pixels, why does it matter. Nothing looks pixelated because you cannot see the pixels. My iPad pro has a lower resolution. I cannot see pixels. Do you know how ridiculous you sound? You defy logic. Why lie about something just to make a point? I think my daughters screen on her 11 is better. And I have a pro. I feel ripped off for paying $300 more for screen I don't feel is as good. The camera isn't either. I should have bought the 11.
What you are saying is just so stupid it boggles my mind. You think people don't or didn't compare the two? You act like no one else compared them.
Nah. I'm not lying lol. In fact, I was using the incorrect term the whole time. It's not overly pixelated. And you all got the wrong idea. You all misinterpreted by the term I used, but I thought you all knew where I was going with this from what I was describing, but I guess not.

If you all reread my previous posts, I'm talking about VIEWING A HIGH RESOLUTION image on a LOW RESOLUTION display. You can CLEARLY see the pixels being scrunched up in the LOW RESOLUTION display, because it cannot fit all those pixels on the display. And you can CLEARLY notice it, even if you have horrible eyesight.

I don't know what the actual term is called, but I provided an example below. Trying to take a picture doesn't do justice, but if you have an iPhone 8, just download this photo in high resolution then view it in Photos.

Now, Photos does a smoothing effect, just do a double-tap zoom in, then zoom back out to full, you'll see the full resolution. And it looks awful. Viewing it in Safari is even more awful, it doesn't have the same smoothing effect as Photos, it looks blurry on my iPhone 6s using Safari, and I can't view it in nicer detail even when I zoom in it slightly.

This looks AWFUL for illustrations, texts, comics, etc, and is noticeable on many third-party apps.

I'm NOT talking about viewing LOWER RESOLUTION IMAGES on a HIGHER RESOLUTION DISPLAY.
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG

[automerge]1580432638[/automerge]
Smh if you actually read what I wrote you’d learn that all magazines and prints in the past were lower resolution than the 11 display is. Did you see these as pixelated as well? Was everything in print of such a low quality to you?

Of course not.

There you go. Let me know if you got it now or if you need further assistance.
I did read what you wrote. And I was wrong about the word I used, it's not overly pixelated. But like I've been saying before in my post (and everyone keeps misunderstanding even though I explained it), I'm talking about high resolution images being viewed on a low resolution display.

I'm NOT talking about viewing crappy resolution content on an already crappy resolution display, such as the iPhone 11.

There's plenty of content that exceeds the iPhone 8's display resolution that makes images look awful. Even the iPhone 11's own photos taken on its own camera looks awful.

I took a picture of a city view on an iPhone 6s, and the windows and the overall look of the building just looked awful, because all the pixels are scrunched up and the display cannot properly show the lines and details of the building. You don't notice it at a glance because the Photos app does a smoothing effect, but if you zoom in and zoom out, you can view the image with its full resolution.

Safari just makes high resolution images blurry when viewed in full (you can try out Unsplash). And most third-party apps don't have this smoothing effect, so if you're reading a comic and it has a bunch of comic dots, the iPhone 8 makes it look atrocious.

The resolution does matter. lol

I provided examples below, but it doesn't reflect well when its taken with a camera. Just download a high res photo and view it on an iPhone 8 display, don't forget to zoom in and zoom out in the Photos app or Safari to view it in full resolution.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    688.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Today my wife got a new XS and i compared it to my 11 and i barely could see a difference. Dont get me wrong the display of the XS is awesome but the difference in sharpness could only be seen if you look at them side by side and minimize the viewing distance to a minimum.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Today my wife got a new XS and i compared it to my 11 and i barely could see a difference. Dont get me wrong the display of the XS is awesome but the difference in sharpness could only be seen if you look at them side by side and minimize the viewing distance to a minimum.

Not just the text sharpness its the colours especially blacks, i have 11 pro wife has XR.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Try comparing them with photos taken on the iPhone that has a lot of abstracts and details in it. You'll see how much worse it is on the regular iPhone 11 without even needing to compare.

Don't forget to zoom in and out of the photo because the Photos app does a smoothing effect initially for zoomed out photos. Or view a high resolution image or 4K video on Safari, you'll definitely notice it.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Of course colours and blacks are good like on any other premium OLED, but i was amazed how good the LCD looks. The problem with Oled is the Pentile Matrix which induces some soft edges on text and you can see the matrix on whites. I really am impressed of the LCD sharpness. Weeks ago i would have said that the display is garbage because of the resolution but if you use it you wont notice it. Today i will test it further with fine Details, bur keep in mind the real PPI isn that much higher compared to OLED.
Still the XS is an impressive device for its price point, in Germany the price has dropped so much if you get a contract it would be stupid not to buy it, and she likes it more than her Pixel 3 plus she can finally use an Apple Watch for sports. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 is aweful in sports tracking.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Of course colours and blacks are good like on any other premium OLED, but i was amazed how good the LCD looks. The problem with Oled is the Pentile Matrix which induces some soft edges on text and you can see the matrix on whites. I really am impressed of the LCD sharpness. Weeks ago i would have said that the display is garbage because of the resolution but if you use it you wont notice it. Today i will test it further with fine Details, bur keep in mind the real PPI isn that much higher compared to OLED.
Still the XS is an impressive device for its price point, in Germany the price has dropped so much if you get a contract it would be stupid not to buy it, and she likes it more than her Pixel 3 plus she can finally use an Apple Watch for sports. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 is aweful in sports tracking.
I think it’s a decent screen in the 11 and perfectly good enough for a phone. The OLED is great, but I’m not sure I need it if it’s £300 more when the difference is so small.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Yes but if you need more storage its even more. Here its 400-450€ more if you get the 11 and 11 pro. You can still get the XS but i wanted the new Camera and A13. Maybe i can post some makro shots later this day.
I just compared both displays in the photos app, and i really cant see a difference, what i see is the pentile matrix and some details arent as good as on the LCD. Here is an example https://uploadvr.com/dcs-developer-on-oculus-rift-s-cockpit-resolution-i-can-read-everything/

Last edited:

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Here is a picture of both devices side by side.

Attachments

• E40E7537-02DF-4CF5-9C3E-4920B6360599.jpeg
    E40E7537-02DF-4CF5-9C3E-4920B6360599.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 121

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Nah. I'm not lying lol. In fact, I was using the incorrect term the whole time. It's not overly pixelated. And you all got the wrong idea. You all misinterpreted by the term I used, but I thought you all knew where I was going with this from what I was describing, but I guess not.

If you all reread my previous posts, I'm talking about VIEWING A HIGH RESOLUTION image on a LOW RESOLUTION display. You can CLEARLY see the pixels being scrunched up in the LOW RESOLUTION display, because it cannot fit all those pixels on the display. And you can CLEARLY notice it, even if you have horrible eyesight.

I don't know what the actual term is called, but I provided an example below. Trying to take a picture doesn't do justice, but if you have an iPhone 8, just download this photo in high resolution then view it in Photos.

Now, Photos does a smoothing effect, just do a double-tap zoom in, then zoom back out to full, you'll see the full resolution. And it looks awful. Viewing it in Safari is even more awful, it doesn't have the same smoothing effect as Photos, it looks blurry on my iPhone 6s using Safari, and I can't view it in nicer detail even when I zoom in it slightly.

This looks AWFUL for illustrations, texts, comics, etc, and is noticeable on many third-party apps.

I'm NOT talking about viewing LOWER RESOLUTION IMAGES on a HIGHER RESOLUTION DISPLAY. View attachment 891463 View attachment 891464
[automerge]1580432638[/automerge]

I did read what you wrote. And I was wrong about the word I used, it's not overly pixelated. But like I've been saying before in my post (and everyone keeps misunderstanding even though I explained it), I'm talking about high resolution images being viewed on a low resolution display.

I'm NOT talking about viewing crappy resolution content on an already crappy resolution display, such as the iPhone 11.

There's plenty of content that exceeds the iPhone 8's display resolution that makes images look awful. Even the iPhone 11's own photos taken on its own camera looks awful.

I took a picture of a city view on an iPhone 6s, and the windows and the overall look of the building just looked awful, because all the pixels are scrunched up and the display cannot properly show the lines and details of the building. You don't notice it at a glance because the Photos app does a smoothing effect, but if you zoom in and zoom out, you can view the image with its full resolution.

Safari just makes high resolution images blurry when viewed in full (you can try out Unsplash). And most third-party apps don't have this smoothing effect, so if you're reading a comic and it has a bunch of comic dots, the iPhone 8 makes it look atrocious.

The resolution does matter. lol

I provided examples below, but it doesn't reflect well when its taken with a camera. Just download a high res photo and view it on an iPhone 8 display, don't forget to zoom in and zoom out in the Photos app or Safari to view it in full resolution.

I have compared both displays and have an 8+ in addition for experience points. In real life in my photos I can hardly see a difference. Again the 11 has no low resolution as it’s way better than almost any print product you have ever seen and more dense than most computer screens as well. The 8+ and 11 Pro are a tiny bit better but not that most would recognise this as a bonus. They’ll take better battery life anytime.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I have compared both displays and have an 8+ in addition for experience points. In real life in my photos I can hardly see a difference. Again the 11 has no low resolution as it’s way better than almost any print product you have ever seen and more dense than most computer screens as well. The 8+ and 11 Pro are a tiny bit better but not that most would recognise this as a bonus. They’ll take better battery life anytime.
Then your eyesight must be extremely poor then, like actually. You don't even need the best vision to notice it either, or your just bull **** me. You are seriously missing my point, and the iPhone 11's display is lower resolution. Plenty of things that the phone wants to display are well over what it can show, the photos the iPhone 11 takes are way more than iPhone 11's display resolution, 4K content, books, illustrations, etc. The more pixels the better.

The 11 Pro's don't have enough resolution either, but at least it can display more pixels than an 11 can, which makes it all the more uglier on that model.

Reactions: bobsamm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.