Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Just because you can't tell difference between 1080p and 828p doesn't mean others can't.

Maybe you don't care about the difference which is fine. Personal preference.

Some people claim to not see a difference between LCD and OLED....

Arguably the 11 LCD is better than the Plus series but it is not as sharp. This is fact and most evident when reading text.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I also just checked against my 8 Plus and couldn’t really tell a difference. I think OP is getting hung up on a resolution and seeing things that aren’t really there.
The whole "it's not 1080P" was a huge thing people in the Android community were saying to make fun of iPhone when the XR came out. This is just round two of that. Sadly most people only know screen resolution as a spec and nothing else. These are the same people who buy the cheapest 4K TV and wonder why it looks terrible.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The whole "it's not 1080P" was a huge thing people in the Android community were saying to make fun of iPhone when the XR came out. This is just round two of that. Sadly most people only know screen resolution as a spec and nothing else. These are the same people who buy the cheapest 4K TV and wonder why it looks terrible.
Yup, probably the same people who ran their S9/Note 9 at 1080P (default) instead of 1440P lol! I would have gotten the 11 if I didn’t get used to OLED already. Just can’t stand the blue/grey blacks!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just because you can't tell difference between 1080p and 828p doesn't mean others can't.

Maybe you don't care about the difference which is fine. Personal preference.

Some people claim to not see a difference between LCD and OLED....
If the screen isn't good enough for you then get the Pro or whatever Android phone works. Apple already put themselves in a bad spot by making the regular iPhone 90% of what the pro is and then lowering the price.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
If the screen isn't good enough for you then get the Pro or whatever Android phone works. Apple already put themselves in a bad spot by making the regular iPhone 90% of what the pro is and then lowering the price.
My choices are smaller because I cannot use Apples tweaked OLED screens.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yup, probably the same people who ran their S9/Note 9 at 1080P (default) instead of 1440P lol! I would have gotten the 11 if I didn’t get used to OLED already. Just can’t stand the blue/grey blacks!
TBH if the regular 11 had a 2x zoom camera I wouldn't even consider buying the pro. I don't sit on my phone and watch movies for hours. I don't care how good the screen is because it's just too small. I would rather use my iPad with an LCD screen.
My choices are smaller because I cannot use Apples tweaked OLED screens.
Let me guess they're too high of a resolution? Maybe one day we'll be able to custom order phones like a PC where you can pick what components you want. Different screens, RAM, storage, water resistance, etc. That would be awesome IMO

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
It is very easy to tell the difference. Find a phone with ok big good screen with 2K support. Run a nice youtube video with option to choose 720p and 1440p. You can easily tell there is big difference. 720p is not ok if the video shows some beautiful stuff.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
to
Let me guess they're too high of a resolution? Maybe one day we'll be able to custom order phones like a PC where you can pick what components you want. Different screens, RAM, storage, water resistance, etc. That would be awesome IMO

Yes "they're too high of a resolution" ?
In actual fact my eyes appear to be sensitive to the tweaks Apple makes to Samsungs OLED and the PWM. It's frustrating but eye strain and headaches are no joke.

I would absolutely love it if Apple offered a build your own iphone service. I'd take largest LCD display, largest battery, no wireless charging so no glass back, flat stainless steel sides, all black.
The Xr/11 supports 1080P on youtube....
But it can't display 1080p. It's just there's no 828p option so it must be down scaling.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
The Xr/11 supports 1080P on youtube....

Exactly. That's another thing that i hear all time. "Oh but can you watch 1080p YouTube on the Xr / 11?". Yes, of course. You can even go up to 4K if you want. It's just natively downscaled to 828p. Still the 1080p video looks better than the same video on 720p on the 11's 828p display. I would happily pick the iPhone 11 over any Android, because i am not going to pay the huge premium for the 11 Pro Max.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
to

Yes "they're too high of a resolution" 😆
In actual fact my eyes appear to be sensitive to the tweaks Apple makes to Samsungs OLED and the PWM. It's frustrating but eye strain and headaches are no joke.

I would absolutely love it if Apple offered a build your own iphone service. I'd take largest LCD display, largest battery, no wireless charging so no glass back, flat stainless steel sides, all black.

But it can't display 1080p. It's just there's no 828p option.
I felt like my eyes were straining for the first few months I got my XS Max but not so much anymore. It could have been an adjustment period, pyscological because I was reading about people saying OLED hurts their eyes, or even I was on the phone more because it was new. I don't see LCD lasting much past 2020 TBH so after that you might be stuck with OLED.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I felt like my eyes were straining for the first few months I got my XS Max but not so much anymore. It could have been an adjustment period, pyscological because I was reading about people saying OLED hurts their eyes, or even I was on the phone more because it was new. I don't see LCD lasting much past 2020 TBH so after that you might be stuck with OLED.
I know and unless Apple bring micro led to the market soon I'm stuffed.

Sadly the Apple OLED gives me negative effects after 20 minutes so adjusting is not an option. I really wanted the Pro Max.

Still the 8 plus will be around for a while and the 11 is a nice option. There just not Apples best.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

Sadly the Apple OLED gives me negative effects after 20 minutes so adjusting is not an option. I really wanted the Pro Max.
Well I've heard of the micro LED but from my understaning Samsung has "downsized" it to a huge 146 inch TV so unless Apple has some trade secret that Samsung doesn't I don't see it on a tiny phone screen anytime soon.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
1080P is fine on a phone. And 828P is fine on a phone too.

These are still high resolutions on a tiny 6” screen. So, pixel density is amazing!

you gotta think, a 4K 17” IPS G-Sync gaming laptop is like 258ppi and it looks just incredible, and is easily the best experience around yet pixel density cannot compete with even a iPhone XR or 11.

And yes 1080P/1440P gaming is the most common to this day!

the iPhone 11 is just fine!!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If your phone was your sole device for viewing content at any time, I could see wanting to get the best resolution. At the same time, I would also question one could really ascertain the difference on such a small screen.
I can't imagine having to watch movies only on my iPhone. I'm okay with YouTube videos but two hour long movies... I guess if there was some law against owning more than one device then I would have to deal with it but other than that just no.

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
If your phone was your sole device for viewing content at any time, I could see wanting to get the best resolution. At the same time, I would also question one could really ascertain the difference on such a small screen.

6.1-inch display is not small at all
1080P is fine on a phone. And 828P is fine on a phone too.

These are still high resolutions on a tiny 6” screen. So, pixel density is amazing!

you gotta think, a 4K 17” IPS G-Sync gaming laptop is like 258ppi and it looks just incredible, and is easily the best experience around yet pixel density cannot compete with even a iPhone XR or 11.

And yes 1080P/1440P gaming is the most common to this day!

the iPhone 11 is just fine!!

you said 1080p gaming is most common then 720p is not fine at all

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

Still the 8 plus will be around for a while and the 11 is a nice option. There just not Apples best.
MicroLED should solve all the issues of OLED and LCD, but I wouldn’t expect it in a phone in the next 5+ years.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Honestly, can someone spot the difference? I cannot. Any “retina” phone has a great resolution, and I cannot tell the difference.

A higher resolution on a phone just drains battery life. I do not know why phones must have a resolution higher than “retina” laptops.

I would much prefer to have an OLED screen in the iPhone 11.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I think Apple got the sizing all wrong.

The 11 should be 5.8”, the 11 Pro should be 6.1”.

That would have been more understandable for the resolutions they picked.

Reactions: apolloa

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
6.1-inch display is not small at all

you said 1080p gaming is most common then 720p is not fine at all
You do know how screen resolution works right? If I have a 27" 4K gaming monitor that means the pixels are spread out over the larger size. The pixel density of the iPhone 11 would be greater at 828P, meaning smaller pixels due to the significantly smaller screen.

Also 6.1" is very small even compared to my 7.9" iPad Mini

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Well I've heard of the micro LED but from my understaning Samsung has "downsized" it to a huge 146 inch TV so unless Apple has some trade secret that Samsung doesn't I don't see it on a tiny phone screen anytime soon.
Apple are working on the technology themselves so potentially moving away from relying on Samsung for parts. Apparently it will come to Apple watch first. But yes they maybe be several years of waiting for this tech in an iPhone.

soft99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
You do know how screen resolution works right? If I have a 27" 4K gaming monitor that means the pixels are spread out over the larger size. The pixel density of the iPhone 11 would be greater at 828P, meaning smaller pixels due to the significantly smaller screen.

Also 6.1" is very small even compared to my 7.9" iPad Mini

You should check out a real iPhone 11, look at all those dots with 720p. 6.1 inch is big enough that any human can see those dots and we have much better tech than this in 2019.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You should check out a real iPhone 11, look at all those dots with 720p. 6.1 inch is big enough that any human can see those dots and we have much better tech than this in 2019.

I'm holding and looking at one right now, counting all 1.5 million pixels on this 6.1" screen lol.

At the end of the day, its the base iPhone, and it has an excellent LCD display with a pixel density of 326ppi. Would higher density be nice? Sure. Is 326ppi bad on a base device? far from it.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
You can easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080p by eyes especially iphones all have big screen size now. I agree human cannot easily tell the difference between 1080p and 2k/4k except really "smell" the screen.

No, you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a phone screen at normal viewing difference. iPad sized screens, yes. Phones, no. This is a waste of a thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.