Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
OP’s machine would be new enough to benefit from both of those, though. But OP isn’t interested in a solution, so we’ll never know.

Ah, don't be so down, chucker - it turns out neutrino is running my Mac, the post right above yours:

I have a late 2013 MBP running HS. I just tested it. It takes 23 seconds from the chime to the login screen. I have no particular issues with HS. Everything runs fine for me.

Glad to hear everything's copacetic, neutrino! So, are you enjoying the High or is everything about the same as old Sierra?

Thanks very much for bothering to reply and letting me know I'm safe to update! And I greatly appreciate everyone else's feedback also.

But, man... I'd so love to find out the WHY behind that startup delay. Ah well... here's to hoping we'll see a nice snowfall in the mountains before too long. 10.6 was one sweet OS - even incessant whiners like me couldn't find reason to complain ;)

Last edited:

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Just tested my 2014 MacBook Pro and 2015 iMac. 17 seconds from chime to desktop. 2012 MacBook Pro takes 24 seconds. Certainly not enough time to make coffee or go to the bathroom, so it is good enough for me.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
My iPhone takes about 20 seconds to boot?

Just making a guess that devices running APFS run some type of check when booting? It'd be cool to know exactly what's going on, though?

Anyway, it was off-putting - to say the least - to have Apple getting unfairly sued for simply saving us all from our old phone batteries, while introducing an unexplained startup lag to my otherwise insanely fast laptop. Hey, who knows - perhaps my laptop battery isn't as fresh as Apple would like it to be for peak performance?

We all know that us true Apple faithful would never stoop to suing our favoritest company ever - so that must be the evil underhanded doings of those shady "smart" device whiners, who don't yet realize just how much Apple loves them so very much. Idiots.

So my bad for the incessant whining?

I'd love to eventually hear of someone actually exploring the reason for the startup lag? But Apple does love us so much - it's certainly in our very best interest to not bother finding out. Why worry? Stop the whining. That's what I always say.

Very glad to hear the OS will perform adequately on my machine, though. Rave reviews would be better - but, with all of the focus on the smarter devices, it's best we just accept whatever scraps we might get... and politely just shut up about it.

I apologize to everyone. If I could, I'd change the title to "Why is High Sierra so Awesome?" - and we could reduce all of this clutter to the answer we already know, love, and appreciate so much - "Apple".

Thanks for not forgetting us completely quite yet!

What's a computer?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I just discovered first hand the DESTRUCTION of UI customization in recent macOS versions. I am indeed late to the party, I hadn't used Macs for years until recently. I am on HS, and not to retract from the topic of loading time and more "technical" errors and issues being discussed here, this is very upsetting.

I mean, literally can't do anything on this OS unless Apple approves of it. That is just ... never what OS X (err, "macOS") was. This was once the best operating system for customization. At this rate, why even allow me to change the desktop background outside of trees or a mountain range landscape photograph?

I thought it was okay until this discovery. Through browsing this did not start in HS, but damn if it doesn't make me dislike it to the fullest.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I'd love to eventually hear of someone actually exploring the reason for the startup lag? But Apple does love us so much - it's certainly in our very best interest to not bother finding out. Why worry? Stop the whining. That's what I always say.

Yeah kind of amazing that no fix, not even the slightest bit of aknowledgment has been made, almost 8 months in.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah kind of amazing that no fix, not even the slightest bit of aknowledgment has been made, almost 8 months in.

Well, everyone else is extremely happy with High Sierra. Matt Daemon has already concluded via EtchaSketch that any and all issues are likely due to user error, categorically denied until proven otherwise.

Or maybe it's those pesky Russian bots? I think it's hip to blame them these days should you care to just go on incessantly whining?

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Is there a particular reason you keep bringing up Matt Damon and misspelling his name?

I personally know him as Matt Startup Daemon. He's always instructing me to use his etchasketch to diagnose Apple's problems for them that I somehow caused by starting up my machine - to better diagnose things and stuff, rather than being such a lazy degenerate whiner.

But hey, he's famous and stuff - being of the original startup Daemon clan from WAY back in the day - so who am I to argue?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
High Sierra is pretty bad when it comes to performance. My 2008 MacBook (unsupported) can keep up, but is pretty bad with anything that's not Google Chrome or word processing.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
High Sierra is pretty bad when it comes to performance. My 2008 MacBook (unsupported) can keep up, but is pretty bad with anything that's not Google Chrome or word processing.

it's endless, isn't it? people who think their experience speaks for everyone. the OP, for example, doesn't want to fix anything, he just wants to rant (endlessly, apparently). and seriously, a 2008 macbook was not built for an OS 10 years on... that's just reality.

it's a shame about these forums; lots of good people, good advice. good discussion. you just have to sort out the whiners and ranters. so it goes...

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
it's endless, isn't it? people who think their experience speaks for everyone. the OP, for example, doesn't want to fix anything, he just wants to rant (endlessly, apparently). and seriously, a 2008 macbook was not built for an OS 10 years on... that's just reality.

it's a shame about these forums; lots of good people, good advice. good discussion. you just have to sort out the whiners and ranters. so it goes...
I wasn't ranting though? lol

I'm taking part in the conversation....

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Do what now?

I guess we can all hope for a Snow Sierra with the next outing - so we can just skip this whole mess? That sadly actually is my only plan? Well, other than fear that Apple will never release another decent OS for their lowly bothersome old computer division?

I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks?

And, if anyone would care to explain what's up with the ridiculously long startup time? Why is that?

If you're running a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and NOT experiencing that issue, then I'd be very interested to understand how/why your machine is more special than mine?

I have a late 2013 with SSD and high sierra takes 15s to boot from chime to login page. So your timing seems suspect. You should shutdown your machine wait 1-2 minutes, start it, and provide your system.log file.

you can provide the result of these so we can see the real time?

Code:
syslog|grep _TIME

You can also run the Mac OS Diagnostics (reboot) and before the chime plays, hold the letter D until you see a list of languages appearing. It will run some tests and tell us the results.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Clicked on this thread ready to read about all the reasons why High Sierra is not as good as previous versions, examples of problems, discussion, but instead the reason for the complaint was because of boot times? Oh boy...

I do every update on all my devices as soon as they come out. No OS, iOS is perfect, some issues will follow, I expect it. All in all Apple works pretty well for me.

Some of the reasons people complain or make the choices they do leaves me baffled. Oh well. I guess Ill go watch one of the Bourne movies...

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
i hear you. am really talking about the OP. but it probably isn't realistic to expect a 10-year old computer (that's about a million computer years) to run the current OS well (sadly).
I upgraded it knowing I'd most likely lose performance, but I really needed Pages and Numbers for my school work but they aren't supported on El Capitan (the OS this computer is last supported on)

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I think Steve intentionally sabotaged Apple by promoting Cook - seems like something he'd do, right? Cook ensures Apple wrings as much money as possible off Steve's ideas, then the rot sets in and Apple fades away. Literally, he set it up so that there is no innovation at Apple without him? Stupid ideas are fine - but quash everything else? Just seems very Steve.

You are really clutching at straws with your theories and they are becoming very irritating to read.

The man was about to die. Do you think he wants to destroy the company he spent 30 years building with his friends and co-workers? Do you honestly think that is on his mind when he realises he has to step down because he is physically too weak to continue running a company?

Please stop posting this kind of rubbish.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
To me, there is no reason why someone should upgrade to High Sierra.

High Sierra has a longer startup, still has bugs, and has compatibility issues. I also see no performance gains.

Reactions: Lioness~

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
To me, there is no reason why someone should upgrade to High Sierra.

High Sierra has a longer startup, still has bugs, and has compatibility issues. I also see no performance gains.

every OS has bugs; HS does not have a long startup on either of my macs; i see some performance gains (some of it probably related to the new file system).

not everyone has the same experiences, yet some people continue to believe that they speak for everyone. ugh.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^And as far as compatibility issues, it is usually associated with older software. Keeping you software and OS up to date, will alleviate any compatibility issues.

Lou

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
every OS has bugs; HS does not have a long startup on either of my macs; i see some performance gains (some of it probably related to the new file system).

not everyone has the same experiences, yet some people continue to believe that they speak for everyone. ugh.

That is why I said that I am experiencing it and I honestly believe that people should skip the upgrade to High Sierra. For those that are considering an update, read through all the comments (both pro and against) to decide if it's for you. Not that it matters but I have been regretting the decision to update and this is the first time I regretted installing a Mac OS update (going all the way back to the pre - OS X).
[doublepost=1525025642][/doublepost]
^^^^And as far as compatibility issues, it is usually associated with older software. Keeping you software and OS up to date, will alleviate any compatibility issues.

Lou

Not all software keeps up with the OS updates. It's absolutely not Apples fault if a developer does not update their application but it is a valid consideration to determine if you should update the OS.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
That is why I said that I am experiencing it and I honestly believe that people should skip the upgrade to High Sierra. For those that are considering an update, read through all the comments (both pro and against) to decide if it's for you. Not that it matters but I have been regretting the decision to update and this is the first time I regretted installing a Mac OS update (going all the way back to the pre - OS X).
[doublepost=1525025642][/doublepost]

they should skip HS because you have an issue with it? besides, we go thru this same song&dance with EVERY new mac os version (check the forum over the years if u doubt it). every new mac os is: fine, great, terrible... depending on our individual experiences.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.