Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I really do t understand this whole debate ! “ my computer took 30 secs longer to boot” . Maybe don’t turn it off so often. I have installed High Sierra on 4 home machines, 8 Mac airs ( 2015 model) ; 12 Mac pros ( 2011) models . No issues. I haven’t timed the start up time but the students who use them have found them ok. Y home computers have been fine. No complaints. Maybe there is something I’ve missed ( start up time, app load up time; colour of the clock) but it seems fine to me.

When I had HS insalled iirc boot time was close to 2mn and app launch times were noticeably slower than Sierra. The fact that HS does work is not the issue, it worked indeed fine. But somehow, I don't expect a slowdown in performance when I upgrade the OS, at the very least I'd like it to be on par with the previous version... So I would really like to know WHY there's a slowdown, but I guess at this point we'll never know. If people who question the OS overall performance are just "fanboys" then why would Apple even care, as evidently the majority of people doesn't, as long as it "works" and "seems fine".

The only thing we know is that there's an issue between APFS and a vast number of SSDs (regardless if there are Apple's or not) during the boot sequence. That plus the slower launch times mean that APFS, for now, is certainly not better than HFS+ (it's cool to copy/duplicate files instantly but my computer experience and needs go beyond that).

The only reason I'd like to use HS is actually to keep my Mac Pro up-to-date. As far as functionalities go, I couldn't care less. There's nothing that really justify an upgrade from Sierra, as "elevated" as High Sierra may be :rolleyes:. In fact El Capitan would do just fine (I use Logic Pro X so I can't go back to El Cap anyway). So if the sole reason is to stay current, why would I be satisfied with a worse peformance?

Reactions: navaira

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
This is a reason I’m hesitant to purchase a non-upgradable iMac. I will be buying one for work this month and I’m curious to see how long Apple let’s it run at full speed.

Apple apologists can say whatever they want, but my Windows 10 box is running strong 7+ years. It’s gotten faster, not slower. My PC boots in a flash compared to when I had Windows 7 installed.

I always see people say “well my MacBook is from 2012, so it’s time to upgrade”. That’s exactly what what Apple wants you to do. They want you to think that computers slow down with new OS updates. This is not always true! Windows 10 boots significantly faster than Windows 7.

Installing an OS from a company trying to sell you its hardware has its limitations. This is one of those limitations.

As for the latest Apple machines, I suspect performance will continue to be refined. Sometimes it takes Apple 6+ months to get their new OS right.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
seems the OP prefers ranting to listening. it's a problem YOU have, not everyone... and therefore not a planned bug, or, perhaps, a planned bug for you in particular. o_O

He's the reason why we can't have nice things. Users like this are a reason why you err on the side of giving people fewer options and fewer choices... not that I disagree with the less is more philosophy of design, but sometimes I feel that it'd be harmless to deviate from the principle in some places and then people like this remind me why that principle exists in the first place.
[doublepost=1525109562][/doublepost]
This is a reason I’m hesitant to purchase a non-upgradable iMac. I will be buying one for work this month and I’m curious to see how long Apple let’s it run at full speed.

Apple apologists can say whatever they want, but my Windows 10 box is running strong 7+ years. It’s gotten faster, not slower. My PC boots in a flash compared to when I had Windows 7 installed.

Good on you. Right now both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 volumes boot faster over Parallels virtualization than my High Sierra OS.

Awesome... except that's no comfort to me, because I still hate Windows.

Apple frustrates me sometimes. No doubt about that, but Microsoft frustrates me worse.

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
OK... So I decided to investigate this startup time debate. Because honestly, I did feel like my High Sierra boot time was slower.

So, here's what I did. Rather than repeat what is already written, look at the system specs in my signature for the Mac Pro and the iMac.

Now, my Mac Pro's SSD drive has gotten full, and I can't purge anymore from it. So, reluctantly, I moved back to a spinner. But, this gave an excellent chance for testing the issue of whether El Capitan boots faster than High Sierra, and if so, how significant is the difference.

Now, it's obviously not a fair fight. My 2006 / 2007 Mac Pro is a 8-core Xeon running at 3 GHz and 32 GB of RAM with El Capitan against my 2009 iMac 2-core Core2Duo running at 2.66 GHz with a humble 4 GB of RAM running High Sierra.

Obviously, spec wise, the Mac Pro should stomp the iMac in speed. Granted there is a slight generation difference... but in single core performance the generation gap is small.

Since I happen to have an abundance of spare parts around, I put an exact model hard drive into the Mac Pro to match the iMac's drive. The drive is mounted internally directly into the hard drive bay.

And, measuring boot times from the press of the power button, to the computer waiting on me at the login prompt, Yes, El Capitan on the Mac Pro won... But, only narrowly. So narrowly that it's really embarrassing considering the power advantage that El Capitan had.

El Capitan on the Mac Pro in the signature with the same hard drive used by the iMac: 1:13.07 time to boot to login prompt

High Sierra on the much disadvantaged iMac: 1:20.17 time to boot to login prompt.

Using the power of the 8-Core 3 GHz and 32 GB of RAM, El Capitan only managed to beat High Sierra's boot time by a measure of 7.1 seconds.

Considering the hardware advantage my El Capitan machine has over the High Sierra machine, I'd consider 7.1 seconds total difference in boot time to be marginal. And, if all things were equal, most likely High Sierra would have stomped El Capitan in my configurations.

Naturally, someone may come up with different results. Different hardware will yield different results. If I cared to wipe my drive and start over in the iMac, I could measure El Capitan. But, honestly, I have everything set up the way I want it on the iMac, so no drive wiping or dual booting is going to take place on this machine.

I simply used the opportunity of a drive swap in the Mac Pro to do a little comparison. In my results, I'm going to call it a draw. Not enough difference to be concerned with given the Mac Pro out classed and out spec'd the iMac.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
And, if all things were equal, most likely High Sierra would have stomped El Capitan in my configurations.

All things were equal in my configuration. High Sierra took noticeably longer to boot.

You seem very thoughtful - so, if you had my machine, what would you think of High Sierra? What decision would you have made regarding the OS on your work machine?

I have a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro that boots up almost instantly in El Cap and Sierra. I didn't notice any lag until I installed High Sierra. Again, worrying that I'd loaded up my Mac with garbage or whatnot, I ran a clean install. Sadly, even after the clean install, I experienced the same considerable lag. (And, not to get off topic about the mysterious startup lag, but I also experienced odd delays in the UI - what I think most people are - falsely and with great malice toward Apple - referring to as "glitches".)

Apple created my machine, they wrote the OS. If they aren't aware of the mysterious new startup lag with High Sierra, they are even more incompetent than I joke that they are.

I guess I'm most shocked that Ars Technica failed to mention it. But then, they probably don't own a copy of my machine. Apple certainly does. But I formerly trusted Ars Technica to be extremely thorough in their reviews. However, after their glowing review of High Sierra - that quite a few lying whining despots have noted exhibits tons of problems - I sadly can no longer trust Ars Technica. That's a bummer.

So here I am on MacRumors forums, relating my experience - only to be told that I'm just making it up or I must be doing it wrong. Even after other owners of my machine also report the mysterious lag - along with other whiners reporting various unexplained lags and glitches on their machines -

We're all just foul rabble-rousers trying to prevent our betters from enjoying good things. Just a dumpster fire of whiney foot stompin' complainers, daring to badmouth the fanboys' beloved Apple?

And then there are the folks who demand I continually run further tests to "fix" the feature? Their slavish devotion to Apple's infallibility strikes me as... beyond surreal?

Anyway - from what I can guess from your testing, it seems as though you're not using APFS? I don't claim to be a know-it-all guru like my betters here, but I think I remember that it's restricted to SSDs? If you have an extra SSD part lying around in your lab, maybe give one a shot to see if it's APFS that introduces the mysterious startup lag? Or don't? Ars Technica can't be bothered, why should you? And for a silly internet forum?

All I know for a fact is that High Sierra introduced a mysterious startup lag when installing it on my top of the line late 2013 MacBook Pro. After giving it a shot for a few days and noticing quite a few other mysterious "glitches", I decided to steer clear of it. And no - very sorry my fanboy friends - I can't remember exactly what the glitches were. I'm just making stuff up to irritate you.

All I know is that I was just as pro Apple as all of you, hoping for a continuation of the smooth, wonderful Apple experience I usually enjoy - and my experience was instead SO abnormal that I fell back to Sierra. I was horribly disappointed.

My view now is that if we don't start our dumpster fires and continue to demand only the very best from Apple, then - none of us will ever have good things again.

I realize that Apple is completely wasting their time on our lame computers. As their ads point out, "What's a Computer?"

So it's very kind of them to bother at all with our archaic devices.

But hopefully, while they're counting all the money they're making off morons animating emojis with face scanners - at some point, doesn't someone have to create content for the morons to enjoy?

And this moron hopes Apple might provide those wonderful creators with a stable, streamlined OS, in the vein of Snow Leopard. While I routinely toss computers out the window of my Enzo just for sport, SOME of those creators just MIGHT need their slightly older machines to continue to operate at peak performance for... let's say... at least 5 years?

And that's really my do-goody reasoning as to why I created this dumpster fire thread for whiners.

It's my belief that the top of the line MacBook Pro from late 2013 should continue to be ENHANCED by any OS released in 2017. Introducing glitches and a mysterious startup lag might make some creators nervous, worried that Apple might now be treating their computers the same as their disposable gadgets, introducing features to the OS to make certain their older machines run even worse if they can't run at peak performance with the freshest batteries.

But even if that were the case, what would be the point? It's obvious that Apple Computers is already just a charitable division of Apple these days. Why even bother squeezing a few extra bucks out of those losers? Why even bother creating new computers for them to buy? Just dumpster-fire it altogether already.

Or is "What's a Computer?" actually a warning that Apple is actually done with their charity work? I certainly can't see how Tim Cook could possibly allow for the continuation of such a weak legacy division. At some point, you really have to just stop throwing good money after all the bad. Just let that dumpster fire die out already.

Then, just maybe - then - FINALLY - we can all actually have good things?

Last edited:
Reactions: thewap

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
I installed it on my machine, noticed that the startup time had increased at least 30 seconds

Any new OS update, after the first reboot is going to be slow. Tons of stuff going on after the first reboot, not to mention spotlight re-indexing everything.

After the first reboot, I let it sit for an hour before I dig into it.
[doublepost=1525148678][/doublepost]
i dunno, one size does not fit all. i have two macs, both on HS (and on the betas, to be clear), and am getting my work done on both. also, never had email issues in yosemite.

some betas have wreaked (a little) havoc, but.. they were betas.

anyway, for me, every version of mac os has had it's good & bad qualities, but i always can get my work done... which matters most to me.

unless EVERY single user shares an issue, it's not global; but we all know this....

I am being totally honest here. Since Leopard I have never had any major problems. Some apps have had issues because their updates were not ready but those were always fixed in a pretty good time. I have a 13inch late 2009 MacBook Pro with a 2.53ghz Core Duo running HS just fine (Samsung 860 EVO in it).

I am running HS on that 2009 MacBook Pro, 15inch Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2015 MacBook (the first gen, 1.2ghz), 2014 MacMini and my new late 2017 15inch MacBook Pro Touch Bar. None of them have issues. I run a lot of software on them and many needed software updates when HS rolled out but they got them. I did see a performance hit with OmniGraffle Pro using some stencils, massive CPU spike, fans blasting etc. That problem was fixed by Omni in short order with an update.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
All things were equal in my configuration. High Sierra took noticeably longer to boot.

You seem very thoughtful - so, if you had my machine, what would you think of High Sierra? What decision would you have made regarding the OS on your work machine?

I have a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro that boots up almost instantly in El Cap and Sierra. I didn't notice any lag until I installed High Sierra. Again, worrying that I'd loaded up my Mac with garbage or whatnot, I ran a clean install. Sadly, even after the clean install, I experienced the same considerable lag. (And, not to get off topic about the mysterious startup lag, but I also experienced odd delays in the UI - what I think most people are - falsely and with great malice toward Apple - referring to as "glitches".)

Apple created my machine, they wrote the OS. If they aren't aware of the mysterious new startup lag with High Sierra, they are even more incompetent than I joke that they are.

I guess I'm most shocked that Ars Technica failed to mention it. But then, they probably don't own a copy of my machine. Apple certainly does. But I formerly trusted Ars Technica to be extremely thorough in their reviews. However, after their glowing review of High Sierra - that quite a few lying whining despots have noted exhibits tons of problems - I sadly can no longer trust Ars Technica. That's a bummer.

So here I am on MacRumors forums, relating my experience - only to be told that I'm just making it up or I must be doing it wrong. Even after other owners of my machine also report the mysterious lag - along with other whiners reporting various unexplained lags and glitches on their machines -

We're all just foul rabble-rousers trying to prevent our betters from enjoying good things. Just a dumpster fire of whiney foot stompin' complainers, daring to badmouth the fanboys' beloved Apple?

And then there are the folks who demand I continually run further tests to "fix" the feature? Their slavish devotion to Apple's infallibility strikes me as... beyond surreal?

Anyway - from what I can guess from your testing, it seems as though you're not using APFS? I don't claim to be a know-it-all guru like my betters here, but I think I remember that it's restricted to SSDs? If you have an extra SSD part lying around in your lab, maybe give one a shot to see if it's APFS that introduces the mysterious startup lag? Or don't? Ars Technica can't be bothered, why should you? And for a silly internet forum?

All I know for a fact is that High Sierra introduced a mysterious startup lag when installing it on my top of the line late 2013 MacBook Pro. After giving it a shot for a few days and noticing quite a few other mysterious "glitches", I decided to steer clear of it. And no - very sorry my fanboy friends - I can't remember exactly what the glitches were. I'm just making stuff up to irritate you.

All I know is that I was just as pro Apple as all of you, hoping for a continuation of the smooth, wonderful Apple experience I usually enjoy - and my experience was instead SO abnormal that I fell back to Sierra. I was horribly disappointed.

My view now is that if we don't start our dumpster fires and continue to demand only the very best from Apple, then - none of us will ever have good things again.

I realize that Apple is completely wasting their time on our lame computers. As their ads point out, "What's a Computer?"

So it's very kind of them to bother at all with our archaic devices.

But hopefully, while they're counting all the money they're making off morons animating emojis with face scanners - at some point, doesn't someone have to create content for the morons to enjoy?

And this moron hopes Apple might provide those wonderful creators with a stable, streamlined OS, in the vein of Snow Leopard. While I routinely toss computers out the window of my Enzo just for sport, SOME of those creators just MIGHT need their slightly older machines to continue to operate at peak performance for... let's say... at least 5 years?

And that's really my do-goody reasoning as to why I created this dumpster fire thread for whiners.

It's my belief that the top of the line MacBook Pro from late 2013 should continue to be ENHANCED by any OS released in 2017. Introducing glitches and a mysterious startup lag might make some creators nervous, worried that Apple might now be treating their computers the same as their disposable gadgets, introducing features to the OS to make certain their older machines run even worse if they can't run at peak performance with the freshest batteries.

But even if that were the case, what would be the point? It's obvious that Apple Computers is already just a charitable division of Apple these days. Why even bother squeezing a few extra bucks out of those losers? Why even bother creating new computers for them to buy? Just dumpster-fire it altogether already.

Or is "What's a Computer?" actually a warning that Apple is actually done with their charity work? I certainly can't see how Tim Cook could possibly allow for the continuation of such a weak legacy division. At some point, you really have to just stop throwing good money after all the bad. Just let that dumpster fire die out already.

Then, just maybe - then - FINALLY - we can all actually have good things?

Ok... so with a 2013 MacBook Pro....

Here’s my personal experience with those. I’ve had friends bring me those to repair for them. And I find them absolutely aggravating. They are dog slow from my experience. They make my 2006 Mac Pro feel like a Lamborghini against a bicycle (the 2013 MacBook Pro being the bicycle).

I get them working and get them out of my possession as fast as possible. They just irritate me. And yes, that was with El Capitan.

I’ve always attributed it to Apple’s choice to use the slowest hard drives they can find. I think they make a special effort to find them.

But I know that every single click on anything has always felt like it took forever to respond. Even clicking on the Apple menu and About this Mac is irritatingly slow compared to my 2006 Mac Pro.

So, unless something is uniquely bad about the 2013 MacBook Pro’s that my friends have brought to me, if I was presented with a 2013 Mac MacBook Pro, I’d sell it.

As for Apple File System, I’d do anything possible to avoid it. I’ve read the details on how it functions, and I have absolutely no interest in it from the design.

I’m not going by the complaints. Honestly I’ve mostly skipped reading them. But from its basic design, I decided not to use AFS the day they first mentioned it. The design specs are enough to put me off. I don’t trust it. And even if I did, I don’t like the way it manages files. It won’t work for my purposes. It’s very design would conflict with my workflow.

So... that’s how I would handle the situation if it was me. I’d skip AFS even if it meant I couldn’t use an SSD. And I’d unload a 2013 MacBook Pro as fast as possible.

I don’t mean any part of that as a negative about you or your choices. But if you ask what I personally would do, that would be my actual actions.

As for whether AFS is causing the problems you are noticing, I would say extremely likely from what little I have read from others and from what I understand about it’s design.

There is a write up somewhere on its design. I have no idea where. I read it a long time ago. And I don’t save links. I just store what I want to know in my head. The rest I’ll look up again sometime if it’s important enough.

But, here’s what I can tell you about the work my 2009 iMac did yesterday. What I consider a light load. And far less than I would do on any typical day on my Mac Pro.

It had 350 tabs open in Safari with each of them streaming videos. A separate program catching each of those streams and capturing them and encoding them into h.264 format and dumping them into a program for tagging and then that program dumped them into iTunes.

While it worked on those, I continued to add more tabs and streams into the que. in total, it eventually ended up at 750 open tabs capturing videos and dumping them into the other programs for conversion and rendering and tagging and putting them into iTunes.

On average, each video captured was around 10 minutes in length.

The 2006 iMac completed the entire project in approximately 4 or 5 hours.

On the Mac Pro, I tend to create, edit, render, etc. videos that are 2 to 4 hours long and usually have several cued up and ready to tackle as it completes each one. I’ll have it doing that while I work on audio files, sometimes live recordings from my mixer that feeds analog into the Mac Pro which it then converts to digital multitrack.

And while it works on that, and the video project, I’ll often be looking several things up on the internet. I tend to be disorganized in my thought process. I work best jumping all over the place and switching tasks constantly. I never work on just one thing at a time. The focus bores me. I need to do several tasks and jump between them. That’s the way I work around the house too. Never focus on one thing until it’s done. I always have 50 things I’m moving between. It’s just the only way I can do anything. I lose interest and motivation if I stay on one task.

So I say that to illustrate that my computer use is the same. I often have hundreds of browser tabs and windows open at once. Often with multiple browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc. and then jumping through other projects and curiosities, and so on. Even this is being written as I’m also rearranging the house, setting up new production studio equipment, adjusting the acoustical aspects of the studio area, changing the kitchen around, getting the exterior of the house ready for a construction crew coming in 2 hours. And that’s on top of a video project going on.

So... with all that said... the way I work will kill anything.

I do have one glitch in High Sierra. But it’s a codec issue. Basically I’ve determined that Apple has left out support for a codec that existed in prior versions. And I find it annoying. But not an emergency. I will find a way to fix it. It’s on my list. But it’s turn hasn’t come up yet.

I’m not saying High Sierra is perfect. But I’m saying that somehow it’s keeping up with me just fine. And I’m impressed.

That little project was my lazy way of pushing it hard. I didn’t have any actual work I felt like moving over to it. All my studio equipment is fed into the Mac Pro.

But, it handled the workload without locking up, freezing, crashing, etc. I’m impressed.

Not that I needed anything it did. But I had spare moments in my workload, so I decided to click on stuff and make things happen while I did other stuff.

I’ll probably never push the iMac that hard again. I have the Mac Pro. But the iMac did it with High Sierra.

Edit.... I do have a spare SSD laying around. Maybe today I’ll clone my drive over to it while the crew is here working. I’ll see if I get to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrashX

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Let’s just hope that Craig F is going to stand up at WWDC and say that there will be further point releases to High Sierra, for the next year, all focussing on the stability of what we have already.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Any new OS update, after the first reboot is going to be slow. Tons of stuff going on after the first reboot, not to mention spotlight re-indexing everything.

We all know that, the problem is not the first reboot.

Those who refuse to admit High Sierra is generally slower (not just talking about boot) are either in denial, don't care because their email, facebook and twitter work just fine, or are among the lucky ones who are not affected by a performance slowdown. There are more than one thread about the issue here on MR, not to mention other forums/blogs/etc. It's a very well known issue that Apple doesn't seem to care about, at all.

Last edited:

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
This thread is very weird. People are actually complaining for the most part because they are to tight to purchase something less that 3 years old.

Maybe you should be running xp on a PC and see how it now runs with Windows 10 on it. It woofs like a dog.

my wifes 4 year old Air reboots in about 15 seconds, don't have time to pour another drink

haters be haters

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
This thread is very weird. People are actually complaining for the most part because they are to tight to purchase something less that 3 years old...haters be haters

A lot of the posters have legitimate issues and concerns. The OP (and a few others) are just grumps who aren't helping their own cause.

High Sierra is a somewhat slow boot even on my 2016 tbMBP so it's not just old machines that are having issues.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
This thread is very weird. People are actually complaining for the most part because they are to tight to purchase something less that 3 years old.

Maybe you should be running xp on a PC and see how it now runs with Windows 10 on it. It woofs like a dog.

my wifes 4 year old Air reboots in about 15 seconds, don't have time to pour another drink

haters be haters

Nah.

A 2013 MacBook Pro is clearly a supported model for High Sierra, and isn't even anywhere near the cut-off (even the 2010s are still supported). So not only should it be expected to work, but also to work quite well.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

haters be haters

Actually, I've been quite surprised how well Windows 10 runs on old hardware. I had some old PC's from way back that always ran Windows XP. I decided to clean them up and sell them and empty out the storage space they were using.

An example would be a 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64, and a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4. Both had 2 GB of RAM, and I installed Windows 10 Pro on them. They had always been terrible performers with XP. I wasn't expecting much out of Windows 10 Pro on them. But, I was surprised. Suddenly they felt like brand new fast computers. Boot time was fast. Applications launched as fast as on my newer computers. I was surprised. The people that purchased them also commented on how fast they operated. I even got calls back from the people after they got home telling me how happy they were with them, and asking if I had more of them for their friends to buy. Which I did, I pulled parts out of the closet and built up a bunch of old machines out of spare parts. None of them any higher spec than the ones listed above, and many of them actually much lower spec. I was impressed with how Windows 10 ran on them.

Microsoft finally got it right with Windows 10. It's a great operating system. It brings life back to older machines, and I haven't had any trouble with it on any computer I've run it on. And, that's been a lot of them. In the last 2 years, I'd estimate that I've worked with at least 300 or 400 Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 machines (clients and servers). And, I can tell you it's been a great operating system. I've worked with it on everything from old hardware on up to i7 and Xeon systems. It seems to be very well optimized. Almost like they cleaned the code up so well, that even older machines benefited.

Apple is due for that as well. They did it with Snow Leopard. It's time for them to have a maintenance release that is just a cleaned up, highly optimized version of the OS. Snow Leopard didn't offer a lot of new features, but it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. It's time to do it again.

Now, keep in mind, that I am having no problems with High Sierra to this point. I had no problems with El Capitan either. I never tried regular Sierra. Figured why bother with the middle step, just go to the top. And, I really don't have any complaints. But, I do acknowledge that since Snow Leopard, Mac OS has gotten more bloated and sloppy in the code. Not that it causes me any problems. But, you can tell that the refinement isn't there. So, it would be good if they went and stopped all development and focussed on optimization, fixing inconsistencies in the UI, and just making it as rock solid as possible (like they did with Snow Leopard). Then start working in new features while focussing on keeping the code optimized and working cautiously to maintain stability and consistency.

As I said, I'm not having any trouble. But, a refinement release would enhance the OS quite a lot.

Reactions: navaira and CrashX

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Ok... so with a 2013 MacBook Pro....

Here’s my personal experience with those. I’ve had friends bring me those to repair for them. And I find them absolutely aggravating. They are dog slow from my experience. They make my 2006 Mac Pro feel like a Lamborghini against a bicycle (the 2013 MacBook Pro being the bicycle).

I get them working and get them out of my possession as fast as possible. They just irritate me. And yes, that was with El Capitan.

I’ve always attributed it to Apple’s choice to use the slowest hard drives they can find. I think they make a special effort to find them.

But I know that every single click on anything has always felt like it took forever to respond. Even clicking on the Apple menu and About this Mac is irritatingly slow compared to my 2006 Mac Pro.

So, unless something is uniquely bad about the 2013 MacBook Pro’s that my friends have brought to me, if I was presented with a 2013 Mac MacBook Pro, I’d sell it.

As for Apple File System, I’d do anything possible to avoid it. I’ve read the details on how it functions, and I have absolutely no interest in it from the design.

I’m not going by the complaints. Honestly I’ve mostly skipped reading them. But from its basic design, I decided not to use AFS the day they first mentioned it. The design specs are enough to put me off. I don’t trust it. And even if I did, I don’t like the way it manages files. It won’t work for my purposes. It’s very design would conflict with my workflow.

So... that’s how I would handle the situation if it was me. I’d skip AFS even if it meant I couldn’t use an SSD. And I’d unload a 2013 MacBook Pro as fast as possible.

I don’t mean any part of that as a negative about you or your choices. But if you ask what I personally would do, that would be my actual actions.

As for whether AFS is causing the problems you are noticing, I would say extremely likely from what little I have read from others and from what I understand about it’s design.

There is a write up somewhere on its design. I have no idea where. I read it a long time ago. And I don’t save links. I just store what I want to know in my head. The rest I’ll look up again sometime if it’s important enough.

But, here’s what I can tell you about the work my 2009 iMac did yesterday. What I consider a light load. And far less than I would do on any typical day on my Mac Pro.

It had 350 tabs open in Safari with each of them streaming videos. A separate program catching each of those streams and capturing them and encoding them into h.264 format and dumping them into a program for tagging and then that program dumped them into iTunes.

While it worked on those, I continued to add more tabs and streams into the que. in total, it eventually ended up at 750 open tabs capturing videos and dumping them into the other programs for conversion and rendering and tagging and putting them into iTunes.

On average, each video captured was around 10 minutes in length.

The 2006 iMac completed the entire project in approximately 4 or 5 hours.

On the Mac Pro, I tend to create, edit, render, etc. videos that are 2 to 4 hours long and usually have several cued up and ready to tackle as it completes each one. I’ll have it doing that while I work on audio files, sometimes live recordings from my mixer that feeds analog into the Mac Pro which it then converts to digital multitrack.

And while it works on that, and the video project, I’ll often be looking several things up on the internet. I tend to be disorganized in my thought process. I work best jumping all over the place and switching tasks constantly. I never work on just one thing at a time. The focus bores me. I need to do several tasks and jump between them. That’s the way I work around the house too. Never focus on one thing until it’s done. I always have 50 things I’m moving between. It’s just the only way I can do anything. I lose interest and motivation if I stay on one task.

So I say that to illustrate that my computer use is the same. I often have hundreds of browser tabs and windows open at once. Often with multiple browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc. and then jumping through other projects and curiosities, and so on. Even this is being written as I’m also rearranging the house, setting up new production studio equipment, adjusting the acoustical aspects of the studio area, changing the kitchen around, getting the exterior of the house ready for a construction crew coming in 2 hours. And that’s on top of a video project going on.

So... with all that said... the way I work will kill anything.

I do have one glitch in High Sierra. But it’s a codec issue. Basically I’ve determined that Apple has left out support for a codec that existed in prior versions. And I find it annoying. But not an emergency. I will find a way to fix it. It’s on my list. But it’s turn hasn’t come up yet.

I’m not saying High Sierra is perfect. But I’m saying that somehow it’s keeping up with me just fine. And I’m impressed.

That little project was my lazy way of pushing it hard. I didn’t have any actual work I felt like moving over to it. All my studio equipment is fed into the Mac Pro.

But, it handled the workload without locking up, freezing, crashing, etc. I’m impressed.

Not that I needed anything it did. But I had spare moments in my workload, so I decided to click on stuff and make things happen while I did other stuff.

I’ll probably never push the iMac that hard again. I have the Mac Pro. But the iMac did it with High Sierra.

Edit.... I do have a spare SSD laying around. Maybe today I’ll clone my drive over to it while the crew is here working. I’ll see if I get to it.

Wow - thanks VERY MUCH for your feedback.

Just because I'm not accustomed to unloading computers, I'm kinda hoping you're referring to the [February] 2013 MacBook Pro instead of the late [October] 2013 MacBook Pro? Let me know?

For what it's worth - the only bad experience I've had with mine has been with High Sierra. Other than that, it's always performed extremely well? I did have an issue with the screen getting damaged - the antiglare coating mysteriously wore off? - but Apple replaced that even after warranty due to... whatever nonsense?

A lemon is a lemon, though - and I don't come anywhere near stressing my machine the way you constantly do yours. The fans only kick in when I'm converting video or running VMWare.

So that's the main reason I reacted so poorly to High Sierra suddenly causing my otherwise insanely fast Mac to VERY prematurely start showing "age". I wasn't willing to accept that.

Given Apple isn't about to turn back the clock on APFS, how is that you're preparing for the future then? As far as I know, Apple basically "forces" us to update at least every 2 years nowadays - to continue receiving security updates? We can pretty well guess they're eventually going to force APFS on us?

Thanks again for your fascinating feedback. I suppose I can update and skip APFS as long as Apple allows? But any "split" should be very interesting to watch. I've been with Apple since my 7600/132 - it's always amused/amazed me how rabid the fanboys can get when anyone questions Apple. And you, sir, are to be excommunicated by the faithful immediately! How DARE you question APFS!!! Sliced bread has entered a wondrous new paradigm, thanks to Apple!

Again, hoping the February MBPs are the dogs and I'm safe and cozy with my October release? Someone else asked me to run a disk test, and my SSD is showing an equal 500MB/s read and write. Not nearly as fast as later SSDs, but blazing nonetheless? The most interesting bit is that my reads and writes are the same? I suppose it just makes my machine extra "fair", treating all data "equally"?

Thanks again for your feedback. And here's to hoping I didn't pull from a batch of lemons.

Shh... don't tell anyone - but I'm hoping to keep this machine running for at least 10 years. Why I reckon we done nearly fell close upon the useful limits of that law what Moore done came up with. So I sher as shootin' don't wanna be runnin' no lemony Mac!

Last edited:
Reactions: GodWhomIsMike

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I "upgraded" my mid-2012 Macbook Pro in late-January (maybe Early February) to High Sierra. What a mistake. I've had nothing but headaches since the upgrade. Slow boot times, slow shutdown times, Samsung EVO SSD not getting the performance it used to get, program errors. Then the hard drive ribbon cable flaked out. Replaced cable, worked again, but I was miserable, it gave me a lot of headaches. After 13 years as a Mac User, I ended up switching to a Windows/Linux dual-boot computer (winning a kit computer helped with this decision).

I still use the Macbook occasionally, but have transferred my whole MBP contents to a large partition on the new machine, which I set up as a password protected share and copied over via carbon copy clone. I have installed an HFS+ partition reader software for Windows.

My Mid-2012 13" Macbook was a 2.5 GHz Core i5, 16GB RAM, and a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I could not buy another Macbook Pro at this time between the costs and last year hardware when this year's processors are such a major upgrade (Core i7-8750H are six core processors, Core i7-8705G are 4-core processors with a Radeon Vega GPU and dedicated 4GB HBM2 memory).

New machine, which I won, was an Intel NUC 7i7 (Core i7-7567U), which I added in 16GB DDR4 memory, 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe, and a 2TB WD Blue drive for additional storage. Primary partition is Windows 10 Education (same as Enterprise), second partition on the NVMe is Mint Linux. Cost out of pocket with all taxes included: $497.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Wow - thanks VERY MUCH for your feedback.

Just because I'm not accustomed to unloading computers, I'm kinda hoping you're referring to the [February] 2013 MacBook Pro instead of the late [October] 2013 MacBook Pro? Let me know?

For what it's worth - the only bad experience I've had with mine has been with High Sierra. Other than that, it's always performed extremely well? I did have an issue with the screen getting damaged - the antiglare coating mysteriously wore off? - but Apple replaced that even after warranty due to... whatever nonsense?

A lemon is a lemon, though - and I don't come anywhere near stressing my machine the way you constantly do yours. The fans only kick in when I'm converting video or running VMWare.

So that's the main reason I reacted so poorly to High Sierra suddenly causing my otherwise insanely fast Mac to VERY prematurely start showing "age". I wasn't willing to accept that.

Given Apple isn't about to turn back the clock on APFS, how is that you're preparing for the future then? As far as I know, Apple basically "forces" us to update at least every 2 years nowadays - to continue receiving security updates? We can pretty well guess they're eventually going to force APFS on us?

Thanks again for your fascinating feedback. I suppose I can update and skip APFS as long as Apple allows? But any "split" should be very interesting to watch. I've been with Apple since my 7600/132 - it's always amused/amazed me how rabid the fanboys can get when anyone questions Apple. And you, sir, are to be excommunicated by the faithful immediately! How DARE you question APFS!!! Sliced bread has entered a wondrous new paradigm, thanks to Apple!

Again, hoping the February MBPs are the dogs and I'm safe and cozy with my October release? Someone else asked me to run a disk test, and my SSD is showing an equal 500MB/s read and write. Not nearly as fast as later SSDs, but blazing nonetheless? The most interesting bit is that my reads and writes are the same? I suppose it just makes my machine extra "fair", treating all data "equally"?

Thanks again for your feedback. And here's to hoping I didn't pull from a batch of lemons.

Shh... don't tell anyone - but I'm hoping to keep this machine running for at least 10 years. Why I reckon we done nearly fell close upon the useful limits of that law what Moore done came up with. So I sher as shootin' don't wanna be runnin' no lemony Mac!

Looking at the specs for the MacBook Pro's, it would appear to have been the early 2013 models. Identifying based on the CPU's (Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell).

As for my future plans, at this point I have no plans to adopt AFS. It's not even on my radar. I also have no problem being a few years behind. I upgraded my Mac Pro from Snow Leopard to Lion about 3 years ago, and then to El Capitan approximately a year and half ago I believe. And, I've been happy with El Capitan. I only upgraded this iMac I acquired to High Sierra because it was possible. And, I don't mind having my workflow on the Mac Pro on El Capitan. It does what it needs to do. The iMac (that I acquired by pure chance) will not be part of my serious work. It's just going to be used for light tasks, when I don't need the power of the Mac Pro (primarily to conserve electricity in the home environment - shifting to only using the power hog when required). The task I threw at the iMac (illustrated previously) was just because I happened to want to see what it would do before it would crash... and it didn't crash... which surprised me, that was more than I expected it to do. Efficiency-wise, the Mac Pro is still going to kill the iMac in raw processing power with 8 cores thrown at my projects. Though the iMac did handle the task admirably for what it is.

If the day comes that I'm required to adopt AFS to utilize a newer OS, then I'll evaluate it's current state, and design improvements (if any), and decide from there. If I have to, I'll keep important data on an older machine, and use a different machine for daily tasks. There's also the option of utilizing file servers, which will store information their own way. Basically the equivalent of cloud storage done locally to my own alternate machine.

I actually have a bare hard drive set on my router that each of my machines can talk with and store files to. If the time comes, I can set up Linux box to act as a file server. That way Mac OS would just be telling the file server to hold this file, and the server would hold it in a more reliable method. I could also set up a Windows file server, and have the file held in NTFS (which is far safer than even the Mac OS X Journaled system).

Or, I could just pick up a dedicate NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. My eventual plans are to move to a RAID based storage system that contains numerous drives, and redundancy upon redundancy (essentially RAIDing multiple RAIDS - yes it can be done and often is in the Enterprise industry). For now, I have several backups, but the RAID would be more convenient. It's just not in my finances at the moment.

There are a lot of options to keep your data somewhere other than on an AFS system. If I have to, it'll be a boot drive only. But, I could also move over to Windows at that point to. I've been working on a transition, I'm just taking my time with it. But, I do have PC's here that also contain the same information that is on my Mac Pro. I just haven't moved the workload over to them. But, I do keep my computers (Mac and Windows) essentially matched with data syncing... So I can move to either machine, and find what I'm looking for without having to turn on the other computer.

There's lots of ways around Apple's walled garden.

I've left Apple before... When they trashed the Apple II series for the Mac. At that point the Mac was a joke. And, many of us had significant investments in our Apple II series computers. I knew a lot of people who had just purchased an Apple IIgs and had a lot of money tied up in it, and I had an Apple IIe that I had significantly updated and was about to install the kit to transform it into a IIgs. And, then the news the next week... The Apple II series was abruptly abandoned with no notice... We now had an entire product line abandoned. And, they thought we'd say oh.. we need a new computer, we'll get a Mac (since it was Apple's only option)... well, they were wrong, we all moved to IBM and IBM clones. Why would we throw our money away again? The IBM market was clearly here to stay. And, Apple now had a record of abandoning an entire computer platform. If we had to invest in an entirely new computer platform, new hardware, new software, new everything, we certainly weren't going to give our money to a company that just abruptly abandoned their entire product line and left us high and dry.

There is a definite reason that Apple's Macintosh never took over the industry. It was backlash. Prior to discontinuing the Apple II series, Apple had a commanding lead in many portions of the industry. Nearly every school had computer labs packed with Apple II series computers, and since that was the computer that almost all the schools used, that meant it was the computer that parents purchased for their home (so their kids could use the same computer they used at school). The Apple II series was fully entrenched. It was in libraries, schools, and homes. And then Apple pulled the plug and said that entire product line is dead now (even if you just purchased it yesterday, too bad). They thought if the Mac was the only computer they offered, then that's what all the Apple users would buy... and they were wrong. That was the first step to killing Apple. And, they never did bounce back from that.

Everyone moved over to the IBM market, and thus the PC became the defacto computer everywhere. Not just big business, but schools, homes, libraries, offices, everywhere. The Mac just wasn't worth the gamble, and certainly wasn't worth the price. And everyone switching over to PC's proved to be a wise investment, because the PC became THE computer to have. And, while Apple has recovered financially from all their prior missteps, they likely never will regain the entrenched status they once enjoyed in the computer market.

I came back to the Mac for one reason. I had a career that revolved around PC's, and I had no complaints. I made a lot of money with them. And, the design was good. But, I also tire of things once I've been under the hood long enough. Every time I get something perfect, I move on to something else. If I build a car, then a few months after it's completed, and perfect, and all my custom designs have proved themselves, I sell it. The reason I sell it is simple, I know it inside and out since I built it and have had my hands and eyes on every single minor detail and bolt. I just know it too well, and it's time for something else. And, that's how I moved back to the Mac. Simply knew the PC too intimately. Not in a bad way, just that I knew it intimately (every minor detail down to the circuit and coding level) and was ready to not look at it anymore.

At this point, I'm in a transition phase... My PC's outnumber my Macs. And, that's not going to change, unless Apple surprises me. At this point, Apple hasn't released a computer since 2006 that I've wanted. Nothing in any machine they've made since then has impressed me. And, the further we get, the more they fail to impress. They don't put their full effort into their designs. They're uninspiring, and every machine lacks something... that one thing that would make it the perfect machine. They're afraid to make all of their computers "great" because then their machines will be competing against each other. If they go 95% of the way on each machine, then you still have a reason to spend more money and climb up to the next level, except they only went 95% of the way there on that one too... So, no matter how high you climb in the product line, that one part that would make it "great" is missing. And, then that slow update thing, if it started out at 95% of the way to being "great", by the time it gets updated it's down to like 50% of the way there by price / specs falling greater into being less favorable.

It's not a formula for success. Designing their computers to accept regular updates would change that significantly. Upping the specs monthly, or every few months, as technology evolves, or prices adjust down on component parts (permitting increasing the specs of the machine while maintaining the profit margin), that would help significantly. I've shopped for PC's from the major vendors, and often the same model will have a spec increase either weekly or monthly. They don't sit stagnant for a year (Apple's traditional cycle), or worse 4 to 5 years (Apple's more recent trend).

If they weren't so set on locking the design down, they could design the logic board to support an entire range of CPU's, including others in the same product line that haven't been released yet. PC makers have been doing that for years. New CPU comes out, their existing model can already accept it (often times). But, Apple has to wait until they can't sell a particular model before they decide to update it, but by then, people have purchased a PC. They just keep trying to kill themselves.

So, with the trend / direction Apple has been showing for the last several years, I currently have no intention of every buying a brand new Mac again. That's not a statement of pride, or for spite, or just to make noise. It simply is the way it is. My transition is already in place. I've established the means to move my workflow. I just haven't fully moved the workflow due to my Mac Pro still doing the job, and I am practiced at the task with the Mac Pro. My current iMac that I just received was free... and that is absolutely the only reason I have it. If they had asked $10 for it, I would have passed.

I am happy with the machine. It appears to do just fine for the use I will have for it. And, it does give me the convenience of putting off my transition a bit. But, the equipment for the transition is sitting right here. And, it's ready for the job. I've already tested my uses to verify they will perform the task. And, I have no preference between Windows 10 and El Capitan or High Sierra. All three seem to be doing great, and do the task I give them.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
My experience with the OS was extremely brief. I installed it on my machine, noticed that the startup time had increased at least 30 seconds - which seemed like an eternity given how spoiled I've become with an SSD - so I immediately went back to Sierra.

I've never read any ATTEMPT at an explanation as to why even the startup time increased so much? Ars Technica doesn't even explain it - instead they published the glowing review that convinced me to try the update in the first place?

This all just seems very weird? Sadly, I'm paranoid enough to think:

"Shhh... don't tell anyone what's actually going on at Apple - they have WAY too much money these days! Seriously, they'll bury us!" ;)

You'd think that at LEAST Ars Technica would have grumbled at least a WEE tiny little bit - but no? All's well that's not even close to well - even for a completely non-technical person like me?

Nope - their review screams "All aboard!" It's PERFECT! Awesome improvements under the hood!

Do what now?

I guess we can all hope for a Snow Sierra with the next outing - so we can just skip this whole mess? That sadly actually is my only plan? Well, other than fear that Apple will never release another decent OS for their lowly bothersome old computer division?

I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks?

And, if anyone would care to explain what's up with the ridiculously long startup time? Why is that?

If you're running a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and NOT experiencing that issue, then I'd be very interested to understand how/why your machine is more special than mine?

I thought they all came out of the same factory - which has always kinda been the whole point, right? The OS can be FINELY turned for our specific machines, allowing them to operate at their very BEST? Right? No?

I seriously don't get this at all? I'm not committing heresy by complaining that the startup time is weird at best, right? There's apparently zero explanation for it, so... ?

But, rather than getting berated for not lovingly towing the line and loving Apple as much as I should -

Please at least just explain the startup time thingy? I don't get it? Does anyone? It seriously freaks me out that even Ars Technica refuses to even mention it - much less criticize it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Wait.. You installed HS and then immediately uninstalled it based off of only the start up? And you think you have any idea how the entire OS is?? Huh.. Guess that makes sense

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Very little in this thread makes any sense Unknown.jpeg

And the posts spreading the vitriol took longer than 30 seconds to write, especially flyinmac's distorted history lesson!

Lou

Last edited:

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Looking at the specs for the MacBook Pro's, it would appear to have been the early 2013 models. Identifying based on the CPU's (Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell).

Psyched to hear I didn't get a lemon!

I still think the mystery startup lag is beyond bizarre - but ah well...

Snow Leopard was the bomb - so here's to hoping Apple might give that whole streamlined OS approach another shot?

But then, there's no money in streamlining an OS for machines they've already sold.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback!

dc-mjd

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
I'v noticed slower boot times also, but then messages sync, mail starts immediately, I also have it set to sync passwords among devices.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I killed a bit of time reading the bit**ing and and arguing going back and forth in this thread, so I decided to time my boot-up on my late-2013 iMac. The boot from chime to log-in screen was 1 minute, 31.99 seconds. Certainly longer than any previous OS version and certainly FAR longer than the first iMac I bought and fell in love with 10 years ago. It comes close to explaining why the Win 10 partition has become my daily driver.

Reactions: navaira

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I think most of the posters are concerned because they have High Sierra supported computers and Apple sold them a story that High Sierra was much better than Sierra on High Sierra supported computers.

In truth, many users are experiencing longer startups, bugs in the OS, and incompatibilities with existing applications. To these users, High Sierra is a downgrade from Sierra.

In the end, it's our fault for believing the Apple hype that we must upgrade our OS X / IOS.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think most of the posters are concerned because they have High Sierra supported computers and Apple sold them a story that High Sierra was much better than Sierra on High Sierra supported computers.

In truth, many users are experiencing longer startups, bugs in the OS, and incompatibilities with existing applications. To these users, High Sierra is a downgrade from Sierra.

In the end, it's our fault for believing the Apple hype that we must upgrade our OS X / IOS.

when you say 'many users'... how many exactly? and where are getting your information?

ALL new os'es have bugs, and may have incompatibilites with existing software; we've been discussing these things on this forum with every new OS since i've been here (2010). so yes, SOME users have issues, and... some don't.

as usual, even tho it makes more sense to ask for help here, and discuss issues, some people are happier whining, making 'absolute' statements based on their personal experiences, and stating facts that actually lack proof.

it's endless. o_O

Reactions: bingeciren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.