Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
CrashX seems to have copious amount of time to rant and write long assays but unwilling to spend a little time to investigate the root cause of his problem.

The proper name for this thread should have been “has anyone experiencing longer boot times with HS?”. I’ve read the entire thread and found out only a few have noticed extended boot times and the majority (including me) haven’t noticed anything significant to complain about.

If I was faced with this problem, my first test would be to try out a “Gandhi” HS installation. Since most problems are inherited from previous installations and the contents of the old system library and/or user library, a start from zero installation of the HS on either a temporary separate partition on the same drive or external USB drive to compare HS vs Sierra would shed some light to the problem. Since the most significant change of HS vs Sierra is the APFS, I would also test a HS installation on a MacOS formatted partition. Sure it takes time to do these tests but not longer than writing pages and pages of ranting about a 30 second delay without even knowing (or being interested in) about the real cause of the problem.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
when you say 'many users'... how many exactly? and where are getting your information?

Read through the number of post here on High Sierra. Some people are not impacted by High Sierra but many are.

I agree that many people like complaining but I think the issue is more that what do you actually gain by upgrading to High Sierra ?

As I see it

Plusses
You get the new file system.

Negatives
Longer startup delay for many.
Bugs
Application incompatibilities

As far as the new file system, I haven't noticed any performance increase over the old one. I'm not claiming there is or isn't but only that I don't perceive any change. Also, drives formatted with the new file system can only be seen by High Sierra.

In the end, I don't care if someone decides to upgrade or not. My opinion is that there is currently no reason to upgrade to High Sierra and I honestly wish I didn't.

Could you please list all the gains you have noticed by upgrading to High Sierra and why everyone should.
[doublepost=1525279109][/doublepost]
haven’t noticed anything significant to complain about.

That's not quite the ringing endorsement of High Sierra :).

Could you also post why people should upgrade right now from Sierra to High Sierra. People might follow your advice and upgrade.

Reactions: Spikeosx

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Read through the number of post here on High Sierra. Some people are not impacted by High Sierra but many are.

I agree that many people like complaining but I think the issue is more that what do you actually gain by upgrading to High Sierra ?

As I see it

Plusses

Negatives
Longer startup delay for many.
Bugs
Application incompatibilities

As far as the new file system, I haven't noticed any performance increase over the old one. I'm not claiming there is or isn't but only that I don't perceive any change. Also, drives formatted with the new file system can only be seen by High Sierra.

In the end, I don't care if someone decides to upgrade or not. My opinion is that there is currently no reason to upgrade to High Sierra and I honestly wish I didn't.

Could you please list all the gains you have noticed by upgrading to High Sierra and why everyone should.
[doublepost=1525279109][/doublepost]

Could you also post why people should upgrade right now from Sierra to High Sierra. People might follow your advice and upgrade.

the number of posts here? and what percentage of macusers does that represent? 1%? less?? probably. this is a drop in the bucket. and, once again, the problems SOME are experiencing are hardly unique: "longer startup, bugs, incompatible apps". that sums up the history of the mac OS (and any OS).

my 2 macs are fast, stable. i am getting my real work done (the thing i care most about; more, than say, siri on the mac, or flashier animations).

consequently, it's business as usual on this forum; some ask for help, some discuss... and some whine and complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonsi

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
consequently, it's business as usual on this forum; some ask for help, some discuss... and some whine and complain.

You never answered my question. I understand that you personally are not having any problems with bugs, application incompatibilities or slowdowns but why should people upgrade now from Sierra to High Sierra ? Could you please state some specific reasons.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
And some incredibly intelligent types have absolutely nothing real to complain about, so they have to complain about complainers complains. :D
Have a good day!

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011

Not sure if this question was directed to me, however I do not advise people to upgrade to High Sierra. In fact, to most of my friends asking my advice, I tell them not to.

At home, we have two Mac Mini servers, one MacBook Pro 15” and one MacBook 12”. MacBooks are on High Sierra, one Mini is still on El Capitan and my main Mini Server is on Sierra. To be honest, I did not see any benefit of running High Sierra on the MacBooks. As for the servers, I believe in “if it works, don’t mess with it” principle.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You never answered my question. I understand that you personally are not having any problems with bugs, application incompatibilities or slowdowns but why should people upgrade now from Sierra to High Sierra ? Could you please state some specific reasons.

why? i don't care if someone updates or not. i do it because i like to do it, and because i expect under-the hood improvements. really, the only tangible benefit i've experienced is file-related, ie copying & moving is a little faster.

if there's no reason to update, why are we not all on 10.2? or 10.3? or??? but either way, IF you update, and have a problem, a forum like this is a great place to get support, and help.
[doublepost=1525283480][/doublepost]
And some incredibly intelligent types have absolutely nothing real to complain about, so they have to complain about complainers complains. :D
Have a good day!

i hope that's me: "incredibly intelligent types"... in which case, i will have a good day.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012

1) Future Support: 10.13.x High Sierra will be supported by Apple critical security updates and by future new applications longer than 10.12.x Sierra.

2) A Known Quantity: 10.14 could have more performance problems and compatibility issues than a mature 10.13.x does. After more than half a year most of High Sierra's issues are known by now.

3) Compatibility with Older Macs: 10.14 and later MacOS might not be compatible with older Macs and/or older applications. So it might be better to upgrade to 10.13.x now while you can... especially if for some reason in the future Apple doesn't allow easy downloads and upgrades to an older MacOS/OSX in the way that some experienced when High Sierra was first released.

If you can effectively run it on your Mac and you have sufficient RAM, drive space, compatible specs... CPU power, SSD, HDD to allow it to run properly then IMO the only real reason not to go with High Sierra is if for some reason there are older applications that do have serious performance problems or if those essential older applications won't run at all. The problem again is that 10.14 very likely could be worse than 10.13.x for these same issues. Of course it's always recommended to make at least one or more full OS backups before a major OS upgrade just in case things don't work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: fisherking

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
1) Future Support: 10.13.x High Sierra will be supported by Apple critical security updates and by future new applications longer than 10.12.x Sierra.

2) A Known Quantity: 10.14 could have more performance problems and compatibility issues than a mature 10.13.x does. After more than half a year most of High Sierra's issues are known by now.

3) Compatibility with Older Macs: 10.14 and later MacOS might not be compatible with older Macs and/or older applications. So it might be better to upgrade to 10.13.x now while you can... especially if for some reason in the future Apple doesn't allow easy downloads and upgrades to an older MacOS/OSX in the way that some experienced when High Sierra was first released.

If you can effectively run it on your Mac and you have sufficient RAM, drive space, compatible specs... CPU power, SSD, HDD to allow it to run properly then IMO the only real reason not to go with High Sierra is if for some reason there are older applications that do have serious performance problems or if those essential older applications won't run at all. The problem again is that 10.14 very likely could be worse than 10.13.x for these same issues. Of course it's always recommended to make at least one or more full OS backups before a major OS upgrade just in case things don't work out.

For me the only reason to go to High Sierra (or any major OS upgrade) is: does it improve my computing experience (as it should be). If the answer is yes then it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, so far the answer is no. By the time Sierra will stop being supported, my mid-2012 will have been replaced so 3) is a non-issue. For a release that was supposed to streamline the previous version, it's funny that High Sierra has in fact introduced more issues and bugs than any other recent OS.

I also, like most of us I guess, like to keep my system current and up-to-date, but not to the detriment of peformance.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
when you say 'many users'... how many exactly? and where are getting your information?

ALL new os'es have bugs, and may have incompatibilites with existing software; we've been discussing these things on this forum with every new OS since i've been here (2010). so yes, SOME users have issues, and... some don't.

as usual, even tho it makes more sense to ask for help here, and discuss issues, some people are happier whining, making 'absolute' statements based on their personal experiences, and stating facts that actually lack proof.

it's endless. o_O

It is true that all software has bugs. But, quality assurance, skilled programmers, and a lot of testing should get them shaken out. Software code is not as refined and carefully written as it used to be. Granted part of the problem is that the tasks being attempted are complicated and numerous. Computers are expected to do a lot more now than they used to. And, the operating systems are extremely complex compared to what they used to be. And, once sloppy code and procedures get into the software, they tend to take a while to reveal themselves as needing fixed. Often it's when you add another feature, that you find a conflict with something else that was previously implemented. Compared to finding something old that's causing trouble, it's far easier to start at the beginning and build fresh if your programmers are skilled enough and you want to eliminate all bugs. It's time consuming, and takes careful thought, and you don't release annual updates.

Imagine if today's programmers had to work to the perfection level of the programmers in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. There was no concept of we'll release a service pack or an annual update. You wrote it, you better get it right, because that's how it was going to be forever. I remember using computers that had their operating system encoded into ROM. There was no service pack. That computer's operating system would never be updated or patched. It better be pretty close to perfect before it went into mass production, or you were going to get a lot of paperweights back and no future sales.

The great thing about those computers, is that every time you turned it on, it was like a factory fresh install. Nothing lingering from yesterday or last year.

Today's programmers do have it hard. They have to write in several different languages, implement ideas that are new, and it is complex. We are mere humans, and make mistakes. But, at the same time, we have unfortunately gotten into a rush to market, and fix later mentality. And, that's not just Apple, it's the whole industry. You have to beat your competitor to market. You have to keep up. You can't drag your feet pouring over every line of code until it's perfect. You have to get it good enough, get it out there, hope for the best, and fix it later.

It's clear that companies like Apple are aware that they are releasing software that has bugs. Many times there has been a gold master issued and public release with a beta of a 0.1 service pack / update being announced or released the same day or next day. They know they are releasing code with bugs at the moment they release it. Unfortunately, as a society, we accept that. And since we accept it, they do it. That's not an option or luxury that any programmers in the very early 80's and older enjoyed. Yes, as we finally got software on floppy disks, we did occasionally get updated versions. But, prior to that, the first release had to be perfect, or you were going to sink.

We didn't used to accept a buggy release. If it glitched on us, it was a huge problem, because it was in our hardware. Firmware. And back then there wasn't a do it at home flashing process to reprogram firmware with a patch. So, if we tried to use the "operating system" or even "software" (which by today's standards was also technically "firmware" in pluggable form), and if it glitched, we considered it done, over, trash, and discarded / returned it. There was no wait for a patch, because there would never be a patch. That is a new concept.

When you release software, you should believe it is perfected. You should never release a product that you are already expecting to fix. Would we buy a tire that we knew had problems that needed worked out? Hey... the manufacturer is working on a fix, they'll get it to me in a month or so, I'll just use the tire like it is until they release the update, then I'll get it patched????

I realize it's hard. But, no matter what industry you work in, you should always have the goal and mind set that you don't release anything that isn't actually ready and perfected. We are humans and make mistakes. So errors happen. But, the person releasing the product should believe in their heart and mind that they have perfected the product and believe that it does not need any repairs at the time it is released to the market.

Software is an industry that enjoys an extremely luxurious position. Companies can release software that they are fully aware is not "finished" and not "perfected" and just issue a service pack later. They release the final product at the same time that they are already working on the first of many service packs for that product. That's not a luxury that many other industries enjoy. I have people here doing work on my building at the moment. I had them come in, get their measurements, go back and design everything on paper, then build everything to my specifications and to the specifications of the building, and come on site afterwards and deliver and install. And, I'm supervising. It's done right and perfect the first time or not at all. And, they've got it. They arrived on site with all the materials prebuilt, and ready to go in, and it's going together as smoothly as a puzzle with the pieces numbered. Perfect delivery, perfect installation, and I wouldn't accept anything less. If they had to come out here and rework anything, I'd send them back to do their engineering over again. There is no fix later, it is fixed before you deliver.

I'm not against Apple, or any other company. I am just a call it as I see it person. I do like Apple, and I do like Microsoft, and several other companies as well. I will stand and support them, but I will also freely admit when I see a problem as well. I don't defend imperfections, I acknowledge them. That doesn't mean I'm against any of them. I'm just acknowledging what I see.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I can agree with all your points but why update now ? Currently, Apple still supplies the critical security updates to Sierra and no application I'm aware of requires High Sierra.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
For me the only reason to go to High Sierra (or any major OS upgrade) is: does it improve my computing experience (as it should be). If the answer is yes then it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, so far the answer is no. By the time Sierra will stop being supported, my mid-2012 will have been replaced so 3) is a non-issue. For a release that was supposed to streamline the previous version, it's funny that High Sierra has in fact introduced more issues and bugs than any other recent OS.

I also, like most of us I guess, like to keep my system current and up-to-date, but not to the detriment of peformance.

So you plan to use 10.12.x Sierra for a few more years and then replace your Mac. Sounds good. Enjoy your future (rumored to be non-Intel CPU Mac) enhanced iPad with built in keyboard. I'm sure it will run those hybrid iOS apps with the high performance you are looking for.
[doublepost=1525294516][/doublepost]
I can agree with all your points but why update now ? Currently, Apple still supplies the critical security updates to Sierra and no application I'm aware of requires High Sierra.

You can re-read point #3 that I made or your question will be better answered about two years from now when Apple support for Sierra fades and many newer released applications stop supporting it. Don't forget that it's been widely rumored Apple might be transitioning to hybrid MacOS/iOS apps in the future so if you're looking to squeeze the most update support for your current hardware you might want to jump on the post 10.12.x ship (10.13.x) sooner rather than later or you can wait and hope that 10.14.x satisfies your needs. Just MHO.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You can re-read point #3 that I made or your question will be better answered about two years from now when Apple support for Sierra fades and many newer released applications stop supporting it.

I don't disagree that you might want to upgrade to High Sierra while Apple has it available. I'm just wondering why you need to do it now ?

Reactions: Lioness~

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

As I see it

Plusses

[..]

As far as the new file system, I haven't noticed any performance increase over the old one.

The new file system is more complex than the old one, and obviously hasn't had two to three decades of optimizations behind it, so it's actually slower in some ways. (OTOH, the new file system heavily takes flash storage into account, unlike HFS+. Also, as a big benefit for multi-core CPUs, its operation no longer requires a single-threaded lock.) Presumably, over the next few releases, it's performance will improve, but for now, it's a bit of a wash — some stuff is much faster, and some stuff is actually slower.

Aside from that, though, APFS isn't just about performance, but also — among various other aspects — about reliability, which was a sore point with HFS+.

Reactions: meanmean

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
It is true that all software has bugs. But, quality assurance, skilled programmers, and a lot of testing should get them shaken out. Software code is not as refined and carefully written as it used to be. Granted part of the problem is that the tasks being attempted are complicated and numerous. Computers are expected to do a lot more now than they used to. And, the operating systems are extremely complex compared to what they used to be. And, once sloppy code and procedures get into the software, they tend to take a while to reveal themselves as needing fixed. Often it's when you add another feature, that you find a conflict with something else that was previously implemented. Compared to finding something old that's causing trouble, it's far easier to start at the beginning and build fresh if your programmers are skilled enough and you want to eliminate all bugs. It's time consuming, and takes careful thought, and you don't release annual updates.

Imagine if today's programmers had to work to the perfection level of the programmers in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. There was no concept of we'll release a service pack or an annual update. You wrote it, you better get it right, because that's how it was going to be forever. I remember using computers that had their operating system encoded into ROM. There was no service pack. That computer's operating system would never be updated or patched. It better be pretty close to perfect before it went into mass production, or you were going to get a lot of paperweights back and no future sales.

The great thing about those computers, is that every time you turned it on, it was like a factory fresh install. Nothing lingering from yesterday or last year.

Today's programmers do have it hard. They have to write in several different languages, implement ideas that are new, and it is complex. We are mere humans, and make mistakes. But, at the same time, we have unfortunately gotten into a rush to market, and fix later mentality. And, that's not just Apple, it's the whole industry. You have to beat your competitor to market. You have to keep up. You can't drag your feet pouring over every line of code until it's perfect. You have to get it good enough, get it out there, hope for the best, and fix it later.

It's clear that companies like Apple are aware that they are releasing software that has bugs. Many times there has been a gold master issued and public release with a beta of a 0.1 service pack / update being announced or released the same day or next day. They know they are releasing code with bugs at the moment they release it. Unfortunately, as a society, we accept that. And since we accept it, they do it. That's not an option or luxury that any programmers in the very early 80's and older enjoyed. Yes, as we finally got software on floppy disks, we did occasionally get updated versions. But, prior to that, the first release had to be perfect, or you were going to sink.

We didn't used to accept a buggy release. If it glitched on us, it was a huge problem, because it was in our hardware. Firmware. And back then there wasn't a do it at home flashing process to reprogram firmware with a patch. So, if we tried to use the "operating system" or even "software" (which by today's standards was also technically "firmware" in pluggable form), and if it glitched, we considered it done, over, trash, and discarded / returned it. There was no wait for a patch, because there would never be a patch. That is a new concept.

When you release software, you should believe it is perfected. You should never release a product that you are already expecting to fix. Would we buy a tire that we knew had problems that needed worked out? Hey... the manufacturer is working on a fix, they'll get it to me in a month or so, I'll just use the tire like it is until they release the update, then I'll get it patched????

I realize it's hard. But, no matter what industry you work in, you should always have the goal and mind set that you don't release anything that isn't actually ready and perfected. We are humans and make mistakes. So errors happen. But, the person releasing the product should believe in their heart and mind that they have perfected the product and believe that it does not need any repairs at the time it is released to the market.

Software is an industry that enjoys an extremely luxurious position. Companies can release software that they are fully aware is not "finished" and not "perfected" and just issue a service pack later. They release the final product at the same time that they are already working on the first of many service packs for that product. That's not a luxury that many other industries enjoy. I have people here doing work on my building at the moment. I had them come in, get their measurements, go back and design everything on paper, then build everything to my specifications and to the specifications of the building, and come on site afterwards and deliver and install. And, I'm supervising. It's done right and perfect the first time or not at all. And, they've got it. They arrived on site with all the materials prebuilt, and ready to go in, and it's going together as smoothly as a puzzle with the pieces numbered. Perfect delivery, perfect installation, and I wouldn't accept anything less. If they had to come out here and rework anything, I'd send them back to do their engineering over again. There is no fix later, it is fixed before you deliver.

I'm not against Apple, or any other company. I am just a call it as I see it person. I do like Apple, and I do like Microsoft, and several other companies as well. I will stand and support them, but I will also freely admit when I see a problem as well. I don't defend imperfections, I acknowledge them. That doesn't mean I'm against any of them. I'm just acknowledging what I see.

Hmmm - sorry I don't view the 60'2/70's/80's as any kind of perfect software period, machines back then had a <much> lower level of variances in what they were expected to deal with, that may have lead to a much-reduced release cycle but personally I would just put that down to a reduced tempo of everything IT back then. I certainly remember patching mainframes on a monthly basis and all my customers had very regular software patching sessions. IBM even created a quarterly release of its MVS OS that had been used on internal systems for 3mths to help give confidence to clients that it was good enough to run in their environments. So "perfect"? sorry no I don't recognise that or anything like it.

It is a complete myth to view software, as first written, as having a fixed number of bugs and <IF ONLY> software companies could do more testing they would find them all, fix them and release bug-free code.

Most software bugs come from the code having to deal with a scenario not foreseen by the developer, hence it doesn't get dealt with properly, sometimes not gracefully, sometimes it causes a full crash. Fixing that bug simply entails modifying the code to cope with the new scenario. Of course the failing scenario itself may not have existed at the time the original software was written...

This is why Snow Leopard (just for eg) is seen as stable and fast, it simply had less to do, a less complex environment, less external interactions and dependencies - so less exposure to scenario variances that would have shown up weaknesses in the code design and implementation.

Reactions: crjackson2134

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
i will have a good day.

He will not. The poor thing is just incredibly stressed, what with all the whiners and complainers not getting the help and support he strives so very hard to supply everyone here on MacRumors.

Naughty NAUGHTY Plutonius! Now - I just said - we'll be having no more of that! This is a SAFE place for emotional help and support, where we can all feel good about the wonderful things Apple has done for ALL of us.

Plus he's already told you he has two machines he updates ALL the time like a good fanboy - and the file copying seems faster and stuffs. Plus he's not the one complaining - it's everyone else WHINING and COMPLAINING - ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Now, everyone - please... back to our Safe Space...

Let's sing a nice happy song about how much Apple loves us? Now who wants to start?

it's endless. o_O

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
He will not. The poor thing is just incredibly stressed, what with all the whiners and complainers not getting the help and support he strives so very hard to supply everyone here on MacRumors.

Naughty NAUGHTY Plutonius! Now - I just said - we'll be having no more of that! This is a SAFE place for emotional help and support, where we can all feel good about the wonderful things Apple has done for ALL of us.

Plus he's already told you he has two machines he updates ALL the time like a good fanboy - and the file copying seems faster and stuffs. Plus he's not the one complaining - it's everyone else WHINING and COMPLAINING - ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Now, everyone - please... back to our Safe Space...

Let's sing a nice happy song about how much Apple loves us? Now who wants to start?

when i'm not pointing out the pointless whiny posters, i do help where i can; check my history here. i also ask for help when i need it. this forum can be a great resource... if you choose to use it that way (as opposed to, say, long rants about pretty-much nothing)...

Reactions: CrashX

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
when i'm not pointing out the pointless whiny posters, i do help where i can; check my history here. i also ask for help when i need it. this forum can be a great resource... if you choose to use it that way (as opposed to, say, long rants about pretty-much nothing)...

Yes, I know! You are just doing a bang up job - yes you ARE!

I like you. Can we be friends?

That would be nice. Then I could bring you over to my house and let you just spend hours reinstalling High Sierra on my late 2013 MacBook Pro until it boots up just as FAST and SPIFFY as Sierra ever did! It's totally not ever gonna happen ever, but fantasies are important when we're learning and growing together!

This is fun! I like having fun with my friends here on MacRumors!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, I know! You are just doing a bang up job - yes you ARE!

I like you. Can we be friends?

That would be nice. Then I could bring you over to my house and let you just spend hours reinstalling High Sierra on my late 2013 MacBook Pro until it boots up just as FAST and SPIFFY as Sierra ever did! It's totally not ever gonna happen ever, but fantasies are important when we're learning and growing together!

This is fun! I like having fun with my friends here on MacRumors!

seriously, what does 90% of your posting here have to do with High Sierra (the theme of this forum)? since, for example, many people don't have a slow bootup in HS, it might just be possible that it's fixable for you. but you're not interested in that, you'd rather rant. besides, how often do you reboot? you can 'sleep' your mac most of the time, and occasionally reboot...

anyway, will not return this thread, since it goes nowhere, and says nothing.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
seriously, what does 90% of your posting here have to do with High Sierra (the theme of this forum)?

My experience with the OS was extremely brief. I installed it on my machine, noticed that the startup time had increased at least 30 seconds

Does this mean we're not going to be friends?

I'm very sorry for starting this thread and stating my issue in the first sentence. I promise I didn't wish to upset you?

Oh, I tried and I tried - like I said, I performed a clean install of High Sierra on my late 2013 MacBook Pro -

And what did I discover but a mysterious, unexplained startup lag! How absolutely SILLY of me to notice that no count nonsense that doesn't matter AT ALL! I have just wasted so many people's precious time and resources replying to the issue I stated in the first sentence of this post. Why I just feel horrible with all my endless whining and complaining!

I should set out right now to fix it. I'll just go back in time and... oh, I KNOW - I can do an EXTRA clean install? Can I do one of those?

Oh, how to fix this? Oh, deary ME!

I do so wish for us to be fast friends! Please tell me how to properly fix this issue so that my Apple machine can work as wonderfully as yours? Oh, how I so wish for that to be true!

will not return this thread

Oh, please come back - if only to call me a foot stomping whiny complainer and - other than that - continue to offer absolutely no help as you defend your favoritest corporation ever from the whiny complaining foot stomping likes of me?

Oh, do come back and tell me how it's all my fault? I'll waste my time troubleshooting everything you want, even if it can't possibly correct the known issue! PLEASE!?!

Last edited:

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
You sum it up. If you stopped whining at the whiners, you might have got a few points. Now you didn't. Have a better day tomorrow ;)

And it was too late that I finally realized the error of my ways...

Our once blossoming friendship - forever lost, dashed on the rocks... of a mysterious lag that Apple certainly NEVER introduced. I must have imagined it. And... FOR WHAT?

But it's too late now.

All we can do now is keep the faith, Lioness. Hoping beyond hope...

Last edited:

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I don't disagree that you might want to upgrade to High Sierra while Apple has it available. I'm just wondering why you need to do it now ?

Of course you don't have to upgrade to 10.13.x now. It's a choice we have. You could do it later or not at all. Most of my Macs including my 2012 Mini are running High Sierra but I actually have a 2011 Mini that is still running Sierra that I plan on upgrading before 10.14 is released. Make sure you download and save a copy of the installation file... preferably once the final release of 10.13 is available. To me it just seems easier to upgrade before 10.14 is released but maybe you will like 10.14 better and decide to jump directly to that.

Last edited:

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
seriously, what does 90% of your posting here have to do with High Sierra (the theme of this forum)? since, for example, many people don't have a slow bootup in HS, it might just be possible that it's fixable for you. but you're not interested in that, you'd rather rant.

From the many people experiencing slow bootup in HS, including myself, nothing can be done to "fix" it. For the simple reason that no one knows exactly what's happening, except that it's something between APFS and SSDs during the boot sequence. In fact it's most likely not "fixable". People with HS on HFS+ don't have slow bootup, people with regular HDs don't have slow bootup, and lucky people with SSDs (ususally Apple's) and APFS don't have slow bootup. That leaves an awful lot of people who do have a slow bootup with APFS. I could live with that, really, if the whole OS experience was an improvement.

About the only somewhat impressive improvement I noticed when using HS was the instantaneous file copies... That's cool, but that's thin.

There are currently 3 reasons why I don't use HS: worse Finder performance than Sierra, slow boot, and the fact that nothing really justify the upgrade. This is a on a 12-core Mac Pro with SSD, the slow bootup and poor Finder performance are not in my imagination.

Oh and one last reason, sort of: Avid hasn't qualified 10.13.4 for Pro Tools 2018.4, which is no big deal actually, as I often use PT with an "unqualified" OS, it's just Avid taking their time to confirm compatibility.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.