Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Meh, I'm almost 40 and love it. Especially the guest DJs like St. Vincent, Joshua Homme, Run the Jewels, Q-Tip, Disclosure. I even like the 3 main DJ's. The only thing I would like for them to change is to add archived shows. Looking forward to Dr Dre's show tonight and Elton John's show Monday.
+1 for adding archived shows. I missed a couple shows today that I would have really liked to have heard.

Also they really need to fix the social piece. No way to follow friends and see what they are listening to, loving, what artists they've discovered and are listening to, what playlists they've created? Seriously? Really they fix that!

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I can't help but feel archived shows are coming, at least for interviews. I missed Eminem and would love to listen to Dr Dre's Pharmacy but I was busy.

I imagine someone is recording them at the very least.

JMac88

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
I can't help but feel archived shows are coming, at least for interviews. I missed Eminem and would love to listen to Dr Dre's Pharmacy but I was busy.

I imagine someone is recording them at the very least.

Eminem's Interview with Zane Lowe for Beats 1 is currently on SoundCloud.
Here is the link - https://soundcloud.com/phillycustoms/eminem-interview-with-zane-lowe-rapdosecom - Zane Lowe's afternoon shows are usually repeated on Beats 1 at 5am GMT the following day.

The Pharmacy is scheduled to be repeated at 11am GMT tomorrow on Beats 1.

You can keep track with whats is currently scheduled for Beats 1 on the AppleMusic Tumblr page below!
http://applemusic.tumblr.com/

Hope this Helps!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Reactions: Jstuts5797

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I didn't realize that AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Depeche Mode, and various other similar bands fell into the category of hip-hop or club music.
Believe me, I wanted to love this station, but everytime I listening its realy just hip hop/rap and dull club or I dont know how to call it music. I can't say its a radio with a lot of music genre. Seriously I just ear one rock song and it was muse. Thats all.

For exemple at this moment I listening beats 1 for 20 mins and its just dull club music like someone discribe it in some post above.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
The Dr Dre show last night was amazing. The playlist is out and contains 80 songs so at least we know apple isn't forcing playlists to be small.

I just wish we could get the original recording of the show too, the Dj on the show was doing a great job of mixing songs with the originals that were sampled within them. Jazzy Jeff was also awesome, wish i could hear the mix again.

mattm591

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Completely agree.

There have been a few comments about the talking over records - maybe its not something that happens normally in the US, I don't know. But I don't have a problem with it on radio - I also thought that it originated to stop (or at least discourage) people recording songs from the radio.

Zane clearly can be a bit marmite, but I love his sheer enthusiasm for music. I certainly won't like everything he plays, but I know from experience I will often hear something new that I then go on to check out.

What it really could do with though is more information about the programmes / DJs / schedules in the apps, especially iTunes.
Yes absolutely. Was out when Dre's 'The Pharmacy' aired, and can't find anything about whether this will be repeated at all (which I'm presuming it may well be as they've said a lot of stuff will air twice)

Edit: noticed someone mentioning it's about to be re-aired.. woo! Still, Apple could be more forthcoming with that information!

mattm591

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Really impressed by Beats 1. Run the Jewels, Disclosure, St Vincent. Can't complain.

As for the Radio 1 comparisons... it's a lot more diverse and less reliant on chart music. Unless Radio 1 suddenly started playing stuff like Shamir and Nas when I wasn't listening.
Yes true, the comparison to Radio 1 is more in the way they've done their branding which does look incredibly similar!

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I guess its what you're used to. The
+1 for adding archived shows. I missed a couple shows today that I would have really liked to have heard.

Also they really need to fix the social piece. No way to follow friends and see what they are listening to, loving, what artists they've discovered and are listening to, what playlists they've created? Seriously? Really they fix that!

Agree as well - a listen again feature would be great.

And just generally having more in app info, in particular iTunes where there is most space, such as the show currently on, upcoming schedules, info about the DJs etc. At the moment in iTunes you just click Listen Now on the beats 1 banner and get the current song in the tiny window at the top.

One thing that seems a bit misleading though - on the tumblr page:

http://applemusic.tumblr.com

There are a few panels, including one for the Eminem interview, with text saying "Listen an Apple Music" - but if you click on it, it just fires up the radio tab in iTunes, but no sign of the interview.

Reactions: nheilweil

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Yes absolutely. Was out when Dre's 'The Pharmacy' aired, and can't find anything about whether this will be repeated at all (which I'm presuming it may well be as they've said a lot of stuff will air twice)

Edit: noticed someone mentioning it's about to be re-aired.. woo! Still, Apple could be more forthcoming with that information!

They have schedules for the next 24 hours or so on the tumblr page:

As far as I can tell, the shows that do get a second airing go out 12 hours after the first.

I know some people have been critical of it not being live 24/7, but seeing as they are broadcasting globally, it seems reasonable to do that rather than have other popular shows at inconvenient times.

Although that may become less of an issue if they do add listen again functionality.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
It reminds me of why I no longer listen to any local music stations. The DJ talks over the song, thinks they are funny, way too many station ID's. I switched to XM for most of my "radio" music because most (not all) of the stations I listen to on the the DJ will give you some information about the song or the band and then play the song in its entirety.

I agree - for me, the days of cheesey radio DJs talking about themselves are well and truly over. Now I listen to my own choice of music (via Spotify) and talk radio if I fancy listening to the news and views of the day. The idea of Beats Radio is very odd to me.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I had it on now too, but up to where I caught it last time - that Cat Power song is stunning. I only have a little of her stuff - I loved Cross Bones Style so have Moonpix and also The Greatest, but that's all. Just having a listen now to her You Are Free album.

Reactions: nheilweil

meysell

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
i'm willing to bet that most everyone who dislikes it has only listened to maybe five minutes at prime time. Beats 1 has a pretty wide swath of genre shows, and if you're looking for top 40 you can always listen to the request shows!

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
i'm willing to bet that most everyone who dislikes it has only listened to maybe five minutes at prime time. Beats 1 has a pretty wide swath of genre shows...
To be fair to the people who dislike it, it's not like hip hop/rap, electronic and dance is only on 5 minutes a day. It's more like 10 of the 12 hours of programming a day! For many people, that's not going to be what they are into and that's fine. Just don't condescend to them like they haven't given it a try.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
One thing that seems a bit misleading though - on the tumblr page:

There are a few panels, including one for the Eminem interview, with text saying "Listen an Apple Music" - but if you click on it, it just fires up the radio tab in iTunes, but no sign of the interview.
Yeah they really need better info on that Tumblr page. No info about the show, what its gonna be like, who the hosts are, what style of music they're going to be playing, etc.

And they should add a "Remind me" feature. I missed Josh Hommes second show because I just forgot it was on :-(

Reactions: motulist

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Yeah this has been my impression as well, every time I tune in it's rap, hip hop or club music. I just can't listen to that stuff. And on Beats 1 it is Most of what they play. I wonder if this is really that big of a target demo.
I was expecting more along the lines of top 40 with some classic, and then some discovery artists here and there. It's nothing like that at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.