Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SB1500

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
I pre-ordered my 13 Pro Max Graphite 256GB in September 2021. It's been amazing and it never lets me down, battery life has always been exceptional, but lately it is slowing back down to reasonable with age. I'll keep this phone now until it hits the 4-5 year mark since release... No major complaints. But would I buy one again?

I don't think so. I had high hopes the big screen, 120HZ and all that would make this, not an iPad mini or iPad replacement, but enough of a stopgap to prevent me needing one along with an iPhone. One less device to charge. But it really, really doesn't do anything more than the old iPhone SE before it I had did - software wise. It does everything better for sure. Beautiful screen, better photos - and that all means something. But nearly 3x the cost, I'm not so sure for me that value proposition stands too strong.

If they ever make a more modern SE without the reports of a fall-flat battery, I'd be tempted to go back that way, and keep an iPad mini in the car or backpack most places I go for when I sit down and truly want to be immersed in reading or entertainment, or do a new level of jotting down notes on a slightly larger screen, which for the hassle of carrying it, will bring that extra utility and capability that the iPhone Pro doesn't.

I don't think it will change. I'd love it if they added Pencil support for the niche of users who would use it, and having it so subtle that 80% of premium buyers who don't care about that don't have to be bothered by it or have it ruin their experience as an iPhone. With Apple producing the iPad and such a unique place for it with the Pencil and now the likes of Final Cut, I don't see them ever feeling compelled like Samsung is to add Pencil support - to my dismay. But how amazing would it be to have a Swiss-army-knife like tool of the highest end iPhone. Making it to the iPhone range what the Apple Watch Ultra is to the Watch, just a bunch of over the top, but extremely useful for some people and circumstances function... I think it'd be amazing. I'm not holding my breath.

Did any of you reach the same conclusion with your Pro / Pro Max purchases?
Will you buy another or think twice?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In February 2015 I went from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6+.

I will never go back to anything smaller.

My next upgrade was to a 6s+. The 6s+ to a Pixel 3a XL and then to my current iPhone, the 11 Pro Max.

My desired size for a phone is somewhere between the Pro Max size and the size of the iPad Mini. But Apple does not make phones that big.

I don't use my phone as a substitute computer or media device (I'm around computers and TVs all day for that), so I like the largest screen I can get (with an Apple device) when out.

No thinking twice, the next upgrade will be a Pro Max or whatever Apple calls it when I upgrade. My only criteria is flat sides. I may have missed the era of the flat sided phone, so the 14PM may be what I get when everyone else is using the 16 or 17.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Since the 6 debuted, I’ve always purchased the max sized phones. When the X launched, I used it for 18 months and was miserable. I couldn’t wait to get a bigger phone. I then went to the XS Max > 12 Pro Max > 14 Pro Max. I haven’t been disappointed with the Pro Max phones. I can definitely see myself continuing to buy the Pro Max phones.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've tried the Pro for the last 2 iPhone iterations and while I initially loved it, I went back to the Pro Max.

Despite this, I will be strongly conflicted the next time I upgrade. I want long battery life, a screen that gives me a ton of space but I also want something that is small, nice to hold in the hand.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Why not just get a battery replacement to get the exceptional battery life back for another two years? With intense use over the past two years you'll be somewhere between 500 and 1000 charge cycles, the iPhone batteries are rated for 500 cycles after which runtime will start degrading. Batteries wear out and need replacing every couple years, no matter how Pro Max and Ultra the device.

If they ever make a more modern SE without the reports of a fall-flat battery, I'd be tempted to go back that way
Then why buy a Pro Max model in the first place if an SE would be big enough? The smaller Pro retains all the benefits over the SE and does everything the Max can do at a lower cost. Battery life isn't as good, but then these models have amongst the best battery life on the smartphone market.

And the SE will never have the longer battery life of the Pro models anyways, Apple can't give their cheapest entry-level device the same features of their most expensive models, that would make no sense. The SE re-uses an older design that's always a couple years behind and that's how they bring down the price. I am sure Apple gives the SE models the largest batteries they can put in, the smaller chassis and older tech just won't be as good as the latest pricier models.

Reactions: msackey and SB1500

SB1500

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
In February 2015 I went from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6+.

I will never go back to anything smaller.

My next upgrade was to a 6s+. The 6s+ to a Pixel 3a XL and then to my current iPhone, the 11 Pro Max.

My desired size for a phone is somewhere between the Pro Max size and the size of the iPad Mini. But Apple does not make phones that big.

I don't use my phone as a substitute computer, media device (I'm around computers and TVs all day for that) so I like that largest screen I can get (with an Apple device) when out.

No thinking twice, the next upgrade will be a Pro Max or whatever Apple calls it when I upgrade. My only criteria is flat sides. I may have missed the era of the flat sided phone, so the 14PM may be what I get when everyone else is using the 16 or 17.
I'm glad the size has always worked for you. June 2015 I was given an iPhone 6 Plus, which at the time I loved but was cursed with 16GB, replaced that with an SE first gen which served me well. It was a couple of days going back down in size. One thing is for sure, they'll keep making the bigger sizes - they sell amazing!

I've tried the Pro for the last 2 iPhone iterations and while I initially loved it, I went back to the Pro Max.

Despite this, I will be strongly conflicted the next time I upgrade. I want long battery life, a screen that gives me a ton of space but I also want something that is small, nice to hold in the hand.
The one-handedness is something that continues to make me think about going back to the regular size be it Pro or not. But personally I'm not sure I'll need the Pro next time. Probably SE and entry iPad and use them in tandem. I don't regret getting the Pro, but I think more devices would personally suit me next time. Each to their own, but I like hearing how others experience these products

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the 6.9-inch model next year. I'm just disappointed it's not a folding device yet.

I went Pro Max, I'm going not back. Camera, display, battery - you get it all. If you do any kind of productivity on it, you'll find it much easier with the large display.

SB1500

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Why not just get a battery replacement to get the exceptional battery life back for another two years? With intense use over the past two years you'll be somewhere between 500 and 1000 charge cycles, the iPhone batteries are rated for 500 cycles after which runtime will start degrading. Batteries wear out and need replacing every couple years, no matter how Pro Max and Ultra the device.

Then why buy a Pro Max model in the first place if an SE would be big enough? The smaller Pro retains all the benefits over the SE and does everything the Max can do at a lower cost. Battery life isn't as good, but then these models have amongst the best battery life on the smartphone market.

And the SE will never have the longer battery life of the Pro models anyways, Apple can't give their cheapest entry-level device the same features of their most expensive models, that would make no sense. The SE re-uses an older design that's always a couple years behind and that's how they bring down the price. I am sure Apple gives the SE models the largest batteries they can put in, the smaller chassis and older tech just won't be as good as the latest pricier models.
Thanks for your reply. The SE battery didn't deteriorate, it just was as it was by design from day one - lesser than the newer models, as expected for the low cost model. Mines degrading now is still phenomenal, better than the SE was on day one still. I can afford for it to degrade, but I just commented that it's noticeable now the decline. It's nearly 2 years and probably well past 500 cycles. If it went crap in the next year, I'd certainly pay Apple a premium to put a new genuine one in.

For me the Pro Max was just to experience the best at the time and that the bigger screen for most parts, might have replaced the need for an iPad for me since I have a MacBook Pro as well.

I wouldn't expect Apple to put anything top notch on the SE

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm glad the size has always worked for you. June 2015 I was given an iPhone 6 Plus, which at the time I loved but was cursed with 16GB, replaced that with an SE first gen which served me well. It was a couple of days going back down in size. One thing is for sure, they'll keep making the bigger sizes - they sell amazing!
Yeah, I wanted the iPhone 5 in 2012, in part because it was 'bigger' than the phone I was using then. So, the size of the 6+ totally won me over. I got used to it within five minutes.

Gifts are a different matter. I will gladly say 'thank you' and try to make it work. But when it's just me buying, I get what I want. I upgrade infrequently and always keep the old phone (with one exception in the past) so the Max (or whatever will be the 'largest' phone) is what I gravitate to.

I don't one-hand a ~$1000 device either, so this isn't an issue with me. Neither is clothing. A lot of people don't buy the bigger models because they don't fit in pockets or they're too heavy, etc. That isn't my style of clothing - I always have pockets big enough and I wear a belt.

PS. I still have my iPhone 5 and while for me personally, I prefer the larger model phones, my kids are both using the iPhone SE2.

Reactions: SB1500

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I got a iPhone 13 Pro Max on launch day and battery life is probably like 95-90% of what it was on launch (settings say 88%). Still amazing battery life and I end the day with 30-45% which is crazy (My previous XS Max would need a charge around 6pm with the same usage).

Not to mention, my desire to get an iPad is effectively zero. Most of my youtube watching and short videos (<15min) are done on my 13 Pro Max. If I want to watch a movie or tv show, ill grab my 14in MBP or watch on TV

So im perfectly content with the 13 Pro Max. Planning on getting the 15 Pro Max this fall

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
been using the plus sized phones since the 6s plus and I'll never go back to a smaller size. I have an iPad as well but I never use it anymore except very specific cases. My wife is the same way, she loves the max phones and never wants to downsize when the upgrade time comes.

Alxizzle

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2023
12PM here - I don’t think I could re-adapt that easily to a normal size Pro phone, however, I’m debating whether I would go for the 15PM or 15P next year. I’d love to convert that increase in price between the models to more storage (but who knows, maybe 256 will be the base of Pro models this year?)

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
My first plus/max was 8 plus. Than I owned an X and a 12 mini. Despite I appreciated the weight and the one hand use with 12 mini, I wanted better battery and better camera. So in December I bought 14PM: price is my only complaint 😅

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
I switched to the Pro Max format in an attempt to reduce the times I'd keep switching between phone and ipad.

Didn't work and with underwhelmeing 'improvements' from Apple Ive actually switched to a Galaxy 4 foldable.

So far it's working brilliantly to bridge the gap between phone and tablet letting me carry the single mobile device.

Shame Apple will never bridge the gap with a foldable as I enjoyed the unified experience.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
went from 6S+ to X and then 11PM and now 13PM. I loved the X but screen was too small. So next phone will be the largest "Pro" model, whatever the name might be ...

ranphi

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
No, I would not get another PM model as they’re just too big and heavy for my preferences.

I tried both a 13 PM and a 14 Plus, and while I could deal with the reduced weight of the 14 Plus, it was still too wide for my hands to be comfortable.

The 13 PM was just way, way too heavy and big for me to be able to deal with, even after toughing it out for 3 months, trying to get used to it.

Sadly, the Pro model size is smaller than what I’d like (something around 6.3 to 6.5 inches), so I’m kinda stuck with being unhappy with Apple’s current iPhone size offerings. I’ll be sticking with the Pro model, I guess, and hoping they’ll eventually offer a third size option with something between 6.1 and 6.7 inches. *shrugs*

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m not a fan of big phones… but my iPhone is my only camera, so I’m getting the iPhone 15 Pro Max, based on the camera rumors. I expect I’ll be MORE than ready to move back to the normal 16 Pro when it comes out, with the periscope camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.