Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
You just can't trust Windows. If you find a non-catastrophic problem with 1809, just upgrade to 1903. How do go to 1809 from 1903 if you upgraded straight from 1803?
Ok, maybe it's just me but your post makes no sense to me. I don't understand what you are even trying to say here.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The link has nothing to do with the quality of 1903.
Why post it then o_O This thread is about the May update.

But there have been serious problems with it too.
So you posted a link that has nothing to do with May but then postulate that there's serious problems with 1903 - oookaaay.

You just can't trust Windows.
Then don't use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How do go to 1809 from 1903 if you upgraded straight from 1803?
There's a link in the beginning of the thread to download and apply it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What where you trying to prove posting the link then?
I was not trying to prove anything.
[doublepost=1563376774][/doublepost]
There's a link in the beginning of the thread to download and apply it.
I rephrase:

How do you go from 1903 to 1809 if you upgraded straight from 1803?
[doublepost=1563376840][/doublepost]
Then don't use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not everybody can use Linux.
[doublepost=1563376927][/doublepost]
Why post it then o_O This thread is about the May update.
Because the problems make you think if you should upgrade to at least 1809 or not?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't want to perform a clean install, and would only attempt a rollback in an emergency.
No, it won't do a clean install, I used this method.

You can see that there are unaddressed problems which might have been fixed later.
So don't update to 1903. You seem intent on finding reasons to not update.

You can update, or you can stay, but I'm done. Good luck

Reactions: derekamoss

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
To downgrade?
[doublepost=1563380990][/doublepost]
How is a remaining bug in an old version a reason not to update?
Does the bug actually affect you or has it? When updating to 1903 now, even if something goes wrong during installation it wont fail, it will just roll back. If they can do that then im sure the 14 day window to rollback they give you shouldnt be a problem for on single issue.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Does the bug actually affect you or has it? When updating to 1903 now, even if something goes wrong during installation it wont fail, it will just roll back. If they can do that then im sure the 14 day window to rollback they give you shouldnt be a problem for on single issue.
It is not about the upgrade failing. It is about new problems appearing.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
It is not about the upgrade failing. It is about new problems appearing.

Every OS in existence and in the history of mankind has bugs. Every software in existence and in the history of mankind has bugs. It does not matter if it is Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Adobe premiere, GPU drivers, etc. etc. etc.

Your logic can not be applied to Windows specifically. Every new update of any software (including any OS) is bound to introduce new bugs (aka new problems). Also: every existing version of any OS or other software is or will be never completely bug free. This does not have to be a problem at all, if the bugs are innocent enough to not hinder your work.
This is how it is and it always have been. That is how evolution in computers and software works.

The links you provide are meaningless. Links about updates and bugfixes can be found for all software in existence (including any OS).

According to your logic one should never update anything because a newer version always will contain new bugs and problems. But the caveat of that all is: if we were all applying your logic we would still be living in the stone age, because we were afraid to take an innovative risk.

I also have the feeling that this discussion is getting rather silly and pointless (I even am wondering why I spent the time to give such a long reaction), so I am out as well.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
win10-june2019.jpg

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So you are showing that an update released three months ago has a smaller install base then updates 9 months ago and earlier. After this I am going to do a test on if water is wet enough and probably come to the same conclusion.... DUH!
It means 1809 is more tested than 1903.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Then your point is every release is less safe than the one before it. Which means you should be on the initial release, 1507.
No because few people remain on the very old releases and they are not supported anymore.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In that case, stay on the earliest release that is still supported and only upgrade when that release is no longer supported. That is using your logic the way it seems to be presented.
That is the point. Microsoft is now forcing updates from 1803 to 1903.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
It means 1809 is more tested than 1903.
You do realize 1809 was the worst roll out in history of windows 10 right. When it was released it was messing up systems and even deleting User Files.... Microsoft had to pull the whole update for a while because they didnt even probably seed in through insider circles. Hence why I stopped insider builds in the first place, and was reluctant to try 1903 again but the light theme alone made it worth it. I never had one single problem at all with 1903 flights. As I said, Apple pushes out point updates way more times then feature builds and you are more likely to hit a snag with those more than the feature updates and look at the small scope of hardware apple only has to patch compared to the enormous hardware differences Microsoft does.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You do realize 1809 was the worst roll out in history of windows 10 right. When it was released it was messing up systems and even deleting User Files.... Microsoft had to pull the whole update for a while because they didnt even probably seed in through insider circles. Hence why I stopped insider builds in the first place, and was reluctant to try 1903 again but the light theme alone made it worth it. I never had one single problem at all with 1903 flights. As I said, Apple pushes out point updates way more times then feature builds and you are more likely to hit a snag with those more than the feature updates and look at the small scope of hardware apple only has to patch compared to the enormous hardware differences Microsoft does.
I know it was the worst release. It does not mean it is not better now than 1903.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I'm out. I went back to start of your posts in this thread. Even rereading them all, I really have no idea what you are after.
I will tell you this,
1. I have turned off automatics updates. They only install when I say it's okay to do so.
2. I hold off at least a week after an update is released to install it. That saved me the headaches of the 1809 release.
3. We have had zero issues with 1903.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.