Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I know it was the worst release. It does not mean it is not better now than 1903.
From multiple first hand experiences, yes, yes it is. I am unfortunately the "IT" guy of our family and all but two I think now aren't one 1903 with no problem, they even had no problem when 1809 came either, but then again they are old and don't dig into any customization or registry which i try not to as well. So that's a test group of about 12 different devices that didn't have any problem and no computer expertise what so ever.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
From multiple first hand experiences, yes, yes it is. I am unfortunately the "IT" guy of our family and all but two I think now aren't one 1903 with no problem, they even had no problem when 1809 came either, but then again they are old and don't dig into any customization or registry which i try not to as well. So that's a test group of about 12 different devices that didn't have any problem and no computer expertise what so ever.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/resolved-issues-windows-10-1903

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tatus-windows-10-1809-and-windows-server-2019
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ssues-windows-10-1809-and-windows-server-2019

- There are more current bad bugs in 1903 than in 1809.

- Look at how many things were fixed in 1809. This is what happens when more people use a version during a longer period of time. It's not just that it was broken.

- There's no basis to think that when more people use it, they will not find a lot of problems in 1903, as usual. It is another feature-heavy release.

- Some people are indeed having trouble with 1903.

- I imagine Microsoft will not propose 1903 if your system matches the current bugs, but other unknown problems might lurk.

- I would not download 1809 if Windows Update did not propose it recently if it doesn't offer it anymore.

- If 1903 is not being offered, you should not download it either.

- You can always rollback to 1803 for a while from 1809 or move forward to 1903. Just remember to press Ctrl-Alt-Del if the screen stays black.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Some People are still having trouble with 1809, 1803, 1709 etc... Some people running 1903 are having problems, some running 19H2 and 20H1 are having problems, if you are so worried about things, downgrade to Windows 8 or realize that non of the issues will probably affect you and if they do you can roll back, or take a system image right before and just use that if things go bad. You have heard advice (which you asked for) from multiple people who have been running all the builds and tell you in their opinion it is stable enough right now. I mean you have all the links and what not saying what they see and here where you asked for advice, you got advice and just act unthankful. I'm here to help but not enable the behavior you are portraying. So please feel free to respond and if your response is more appreciative I will be happy to continue.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some People are still having trouble with 1809, 1803, 1709 etc... Some people running 1903 are having problems, some running 19H2 and 20H1 are having problems, if you are so worried about things, downgrade to Windows 8 or realize that non of the issues will probably affect you and if they do you can roll back, or take a system image right before and just use that if things go bad. You have heard advice (which you asked for) from multiple people who have been running all the builds and tell you in their opinion it is stable enough right now. I mean you have all the links and what not saying what they see and here where you asked for advice, you got advice and just act unthankful. I'm here to help but not enable the behavior you are portraying. So please feel free to respond and if your response is more appreciative I will be happy to continue.
- 1709 is no longer supported for individuals

- Why should someone clean install Windows 8 if 1803 is working?

- Why should a 1803 user upgrade to 1903 if 1809 should be fine?

- When did I ask for your advice?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
- 1709 is no longer supported for individuals

- Why should someone clean install Windows 8 if 1803 is working?

- Why should a 1803 user upgrade to 1903 if 1809 should be fine?

- When did I ask for your advice?
By posting on the forum in the first place...
(I guess I'm done now too since you really have nothing to offer to the topic.) I honestly hope you got what you wanted out of this, =) Peace be with you my friend!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
By posting on the forum in the first place...
(I guess I'm done now too since you really have nothing to offer to the topic.) I honestly hope you got what you wanted out of this, =) Peace be with you my friend!
Posting on a forum does not mean you are asking for advice.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Kinda the whole point in forums in the very first place... Post anything whether it be a question a statement, all you will get is their advice or opinion back Feel free to continue just to argue....
The point of forums is to discuss. You're are not always looking to get or give advice. Or even an opinion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Reactions: derekamoss

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
I'm having problems with 1903 - it's hideous. Well, it is 'for me'. What happens regarding bugs will in part depend on your hardware. Windows 10 is notorious for bringing out updates which don't play nicely with hundreds of mainstream components. Whilst 1903 is horrible for me, it might be OK for the next person.

This is on my main desktop, I'll delay the upgrade for as long as I can on my laptops.

I still have no Bluetooth, no brightness control, black screens on sign-in, and intermittent freezing. A clean install made no difference. Windows 10 has always been in beta mode.

I sound old, but XP was seamless.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I'm having problems with 1903 - it's hideous. Well, it is 'for me'. What happens regarding bugs will in part depend on your hardware. Windows 10 is notorious for bringing out updates which don't play nicely with hundreds of mainstream components. Whilst 1903 is horrible for me, it might be OK for the next person.

This is on my main desktop, I'll delay the upgrade for as long as I can on my laptops.

I still have no Bluetooth, no brightness control, black screens on sign-in, and intermittent freezing. A clean install made no difference. Windows 10 has always been in beta mode.

I sound old, but XP was seamless.
Sorry to hear that. 1903 has been solid for me. When you installed it did just use windpws update or or the update assistant tool? When you clean installed did you do a 1903 install or install older build and upgrade again?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Similar to Lindsay I had to roll my primary notebook back to 1809, combination of a few things, mostly 3rd party applications which I wasn't happy with. I also flipped to the more conservative "Semi Annual Channel" with W10 advising that 1903 is not ready for this platform as yet.

My secondary 2in1 remains on 1903 without issue, admittedly it's a far more simplistic system. My primary didn't have any system related issues, although 3rd parties did update their applications, I simply didn't care for the new approach. Rolling back several months to 1809 was the most appropriate solution, uninstalled and replaced the errant applications, all is good once again.

Q-6

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
Sorry to hear that. 1903 has been solid for me. When you installed it did just use windpws update or or the update assistant tool? When you clean installed did you do a 1903 install or install older build and upgrade again?

Full swipe and completely clean install. It took a couple of weeks to start to gradually see the problem areas, after which I'd spent countless hours on the build. I'll have to hope that they release some updates to fix the bugs.

I've had plenty of past issues with Windows 10, on almost all my machines, but 1903 is the worst yet. There'll be plenty of builds where it's stable for many, but others will face ongoing aggravation. I've delayed the update on a couple of my laptops which are saying they are ready for it. I know from experience that is often not the case.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Full swipe and completely clean install. It took a couple of weeks to start to gradually see the problem areas, after which I'd spent countless hours on the build. I'll have to hope that they release some updates to fix the bugs.

I've had plenty of past issues with Windows 10, on almost all my machines, but 1903 is the worst yet. There'll be plenty of builds where it's stable for many, but others will face ongoing aggravation. I've delayed the update on a couple of my laptops which are saying they are ready for it. I know from experience that is often not the case.
How did you do the clean install. Straight 1903 image or older oem image and go through the upgrade process?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I recently installed

Windows 10 Insider Build 18945.1000(rs_prerelease)
How is it working? The only reason I went back to doing insider builds for 1903 was for the light theme. 20H1 hasnt really added any features and since I am pretty happy with 1903 I think i will stick to staying on release preview only

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I made a new fresh ISO image to USB downloaded from the Microsoft site the day before - a clean install of 1903.
Well I was hoping it was one of the others which could account for buggy system. Have you tried doing a restore through OEM media and before updating anything use the USB to upgrade it to 1903? I'm just throwing the fishing lines out there but I can attest to when it comes to both Mac and Windows. Doing a refresh and before doing anything, updating it and it came out buggy as hell. Tried a second time the EXACT way and it ran as smooth as heck so who knows lol.

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
I don't have any OEM media I'm afraid, it was a custom build. I've no means of doing any recovery.

Today I've had several freezes, crashes, programmes randomly shutting down etc. The only way to carry on working is to do a hard reset. A quick search online reveals this to be a common pattern with 1903 adopters. Microsoft have acknowledged that 'there seems to be early adopter issues'. We're advised to roll back (which I can't) and to try and block all updates until 1903 has fixed the bugs. Ridiculous. I know a lot of people having the same issues.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think that the antivirus issues are more general than what MS reports.

1909 seems to have the same kind of problem.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
W10 1909 has been fine for me and this update is more of a service patch than a major update. As for AV W10 works as advertised and blocks the vast majority of threats including PUP's...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4

Same with any OS, there's bugs and the Dev's work them out, nor do they impact all users.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.