Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
While serving my shelter in place term, I just got a case of Tobin James Winery wine that should hold me over for a few weeks:

Such a great deal for buying a full case of 12 bottles and FREE shipping.
$11 per bottle!!!

I have been a Tobin James wine fan from the 1980's when Toby was a small one man winery who leased small patches of vineyards from farmers....

Can't drink the supermarket stuff once you have Toby's wines....
Unless it's a European supermarket. :p Kidding I looked these guys up and well I can only judeg by their well-done website and location it must be excellent. I do love California wine and one advantage of Swiss supermarkets is the foreign wine section is a bit bigger than say in France and always includes Californian offerings.

On my private tap tonight an unsual beer from Sardinia called Ichnusa - this one is a blind unfiltered which I first tried last summer in Venice an epoch ago. :(

Next is an amber Calvinus (yes that Calvin) a Swiss standard.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I do love California wine and one advantage of Swiss supermarkets is the foreign wine section is a bit bigger than say in France and always includes Californian offerings.
That's because the California wines in the last 20 years have been beating the European wines. I think it'll tip back into Europe's hands soon enough if we ever get several years of bad weather. I'm not a huge fan of California reds, but many of our whites are delicious. I had a stonking crisp and acidic white a while back at a relative's house. Forgot to take a picture of the label but I believe it was near the Russian River. Where so many good breweries thrive.

Though, not to discount Europe here, some of the best wines outside of the big names and varietels have come from there. And not even expensive at that. English sparkling has spanked the French a handful of times now, too. Delicious stuff. Not cheap, though.

It's hard to hate a Spanish wine. They're all profoundly delicious. The Spanish make excellent sparkling wines, too. I much prefer their approach and grape blend compared to the French whose sparkling wines often are like being punched in the face with a kilo sized loaf of brioche.

You get very tired of the bread like flavor you get if your tongue is decent.

Reactions: decafjava

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Unless it's a European supermarket. :p Kidding I looked these guys up and well I can only judeg by their well-done website and location it must be excellent. I do love California wine and one advantage of Swiss supermarkets is the foreign wine section is a bit bigger than say in France and always includes Californian offerings.

On my private tap tonight an unsual beer from Sardinia called Ichnusa - this one is a blind unfiltered which I first tried last summer in Venice an epoch ago. :(

Next is an amber Calvinus (yes that Calvin) a Swiss standard.
Yes, I do love the German white wines but hard to find in California since the wines made in California are dominant.

My German favorites are the Spätlese, Auslese, Eiswein, Trockenbeerenauslese

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile. I’ve even dug out my Dartington decanter.

10ab1fa746801b4b91ce15d1f23f15a1.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well it didn't take long... KBS Espresso is in the books! Delicious and highly recommended. There is an added little kick to it which is nice. Big deep bourbon taste and notes are still present, but then add a little coffee if you will into the mix. Great combination and I will be picking more up!!!!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well it didn't take long... KBS Espresso is in the books! Delicious and highly recommended. There is an added little kick to it which is nice. Big deep bourbon taste and notes are still present, but then add a little coffee if you will into the mix. Great combination and I will be picking more up!!!!

Sounds delicious; I'm envious. Must see if I can lay hands on some.

Meanwhile, do enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.