Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Had a rather interesting stout this weekend by Garage Brewing Co; Marshmallow Milk Stout. It was pretty darn tasty and yup, you can really taste the marshmallows in this one. Nice hint of chocolate and coffee to boot. I liked it so much so that I purchased another bottle. This is one of those stouts that is good with a little bit of a chill to it and it holds up as it warms just a little. I did like it on the colder side though. Big ole thumbs up on this one.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Enjoying a Smithwicks Red Ale while finalizing the Super Bowl party this Sunday. Three former UN co-workers and five of my English neighbors are looking forward to the event.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Picked up a couple of new items today, one was purely due to the name, but it's from an outstanding brewery, well reviewed, and a favorite style, so it was a win-win. The other I saw, looking for the aforementioned, it's spectacular and a less common purchase, so a really fun changeup to the beer fridge.

IMG_6585 2_1200.jpg

OK, yes, that's a Portrait mode, hahaha, the camera has gotten pretty smart about properly handling non-human content :D

From the left:

Lagunitas - Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale, 8.8% ABV, 77 IBU

Sweet, complex maltiness, a deep copper color, smooth and creamy like the best red ales, but then it busts out a big hoppy surprise (note teh 77 IBU).

Cigar City - Florida Man Double IPA, 8.5% ABV, 80 IBU

Very solid IPA, less middle malty than say, their own Jai Alai, and more up front piney/bitter hoppiness, definitely solid, and __extra__ points for the name and description:

The world needs heroes, and in our home state of Florida only a very special hero will do. A hero with a shark tooth around his neck, a Grim Reaper tattoo on his arm, and a rap sheet longer than his mama’s mustache. A hero who’s forgotten more about amateur taxidermy and alligator rasslin’ than you’ll ever know. What better way to pay tribute to our beloved Florida Man than with a big ol’ Double India Pale Ale brewed with a nearly-criminal amount of hops and a moderate bitterness that just about matches Florida Man’s general disposition. This hopped-up whopper of a beer is big in character and guaranteed to sear itself into your memory, just like “the world’s worst superhero,” Florida Man.

:p

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Had some rather stellar beers this past weekend.

First... Had a bottle of Pliny the Elder annnnnndddd Pliny the Younger. Both were freaking delicious! This was the first year Pliny the Younger was ever bottled and it lived up to the hype! Most excellent. While these were in a bottle, they were still freaking delicious!

Second... was able to get KBS on tap at a local restaurant! Most excellent! While I was at it, I also had a glass of Big Bad Baptist Chocolate Rapture which is a big bold stout with a healthy dose of chocolate added to it! And to finish out the night, I had another big stout from Chapman Crafted Beer called Good Morning & Good Night. All three were big, bold, stouts and they all lived up to their names! Delicious and I was lucky enough to try them all on tap!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

It is one of the best if not the best DIPA's you can have. I have been lucky enough to have had it on Tap and in the bottle. When they release it, it is an event at the brewery and at the various locations that receive it. Most locations will have a Pliny day where you have to have a ticket to sample it. If you ever go to one of the larger beer festivals, you will see their lines, especially if they have it on tap, are considerably longer than most if not all. The line at GABF was ridiculously long.

What is strange, is I like their "Blind Pig" better than both of the Pliny's... It is no sloucher as BA has it at 97!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Day two of self isolation. A “few” Jim Beam’s.

Tomorrow I’m planning on some red wine. Which I don’t know yet.

Only way to cope with being “locked in” all day....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.