Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I'm looking for one that is smooth, light and goes down easily. Nothing strong.

The list would rather long, but take a look at this starter list from the below website.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The list would rather long, but take a look at this starter list from the below website.

Very good list, and broadly, I'd concur with the contents.

In general, I would recommend wines made from the Pinot Noir grape, or the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo grape; Grenache - which is wonderfully smooth - also features on @JamesMike's list, and I would also suggest that wines from this grape be considered.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Very good list, and broadly, I'd concur with the contents.

In general, I would recommend wines made from the Pinot Noir grape, or the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo grape; Grenache - which is wonderfully smooth - also features on @JamesMike's list, and I would also suggest that wines from this grape be considered.

I like Pinot noir. Had a few bottles Not long ago, delicious!!

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Some wine experts contend that the occasion and the surroundings have alot to do with the taste of wine. Many years ago, my wife and I along with another couple went to a very ritzy restaurant in Toronto to celebrate her 25 birthday. As a couple of long hair stereo salesman, we were getting mediocre service from the stuffy waiters. One came over and asked if we would like something to drink. My friend and looked at each other and decided what the hell, we ordered a $150 bottle of 1967 Chateau Laffite Rothchild, suddenly 3 other waiters came over and started fawning all over us. They decanted the wine first, then poured our drinks, It was smooth and fabulous. The experience was worth every penny, and I remember it to this day as one of the best tasting wines. I agree with the experts! A 67 Margaux wasn't bad either.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Is this for a date?

Lol not a new date but yes it's with someone I've been seeing. I want to find a wine that I can enjoy consistently with her rather than trying random wines and most of them being too strong for me to enjoy.

I don't really like the taste of red wine which is why I'm trying to find something light

I've never been one to drink alcohol except with friends and social occasions

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Blanket varietel? South American specific wines have a very soft taste. Soft meaning there's no harsh dryness, no overly complicated "sour" notes. Easy enough to drink a bottle with little food and not feel nauseous over it. It's a go to region to serve to none-wine drinkers.

There's something about South America that turns even exported vines into a softer drinking experience than their home region.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I recommend a good welches grape, lovely. Of course only 100% concord grapes, and do not accept substitutes!!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
They don't serve wine at parties?

My friends are younger than me- mainly my ex and all her friends who im very close to, and she’s 9 years younger than me and still in college.

But I recently started seeing someone and now I don’t really party like that anymore.

Just got more into wine and quiet nights in.

hence this thread...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My friends are younger than me- mainly my ex and all her friends who im very close to, and she’s 9 years younger than me and still in college.

But I recently started seeing someone and now I don’t really party like that anymore.

Just got more into wine and quiet nights in.

hence this thread...

Your thread has been subsumed into the more general wine and beer enthusiasts thread.

If you don't like red wine, why drink it?

There are many excellent white wines to be had.

Anyway, for reds, I'd recommend Pinot Noir (especially red Burgundies), and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, plus red wine (reserve) from Chile.

And wines made from the Grenache grape, although they will be 'heavier' than Pinot Noir.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Broke out a series 03 2016 version of Stone's Xocoveza Charred Barrel Aged Milk Stout. It was freaking outstanding! Not to mention, when it was able to settle down and warm up a little, the flavors really shone through! Loved it! Highly recommend it!

Also my buddy filled up a growler from Pelican Brewery of their Juicy IPA... one of my favorite breweries and boy was it good! Not overly hoppy, subtle flavoring, overall very drinkable!

• Love
Reactions: D.T.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Broke out a series 03 2016 version of Stone's Xocoveza Charred Barrel Aged Milk Stout. It was freaking outstanding! Not to mention, when it was able to settle down and warm up a little, the flavors really shone through! Loved it! Highly recommend it!

Also my buddy filled up a growler from Pelican Brewery of their Juicy IPA... one of my favorite breweries and boy was it good! Not overly hoppy, subtle flavoring, overall very drinkable!

Sounds amazing; do enjoy.

It took me a while to absorb the lesson that stouts, in particular, should be consumed at room temperature, rather than served cold.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Sounds amazing; do enjoy.

It took me a while to absorb the lesson that stouts, in particular, should be consumed at room temperature, rather than served cold.

Me too! For the most part, a lot of the bigger stouts, I enjoy just a tad under the cold to room temperature. This one is one of those. So good and the flavor pallet was full bodied and it really hits the tongue and lets you know, it is hear to stay! I have a few different version including batch 07! Can't wait to try it!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.