Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sipping an excellent German beer:

A Weihenstephaner "Vitus", an award winning beverage, a sort of Weissbier on steroids, actually, it has been described as a "single bock" style beer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Tapped into a few beers this past weekend.

The Bruery's annual tradition of "Black Tuesday"... coming in at 19.5%. This years version did not disappoint. The bourbon was present and the nice little kick it has is always worth it. I have another bottle that I am aging and those for me tend to be a little better! Hopefully this stays true with this one.

Also had a two year old bottle, I aged in my beer cellar (loose play on the word cellar), of Bottle Logic's Dialects, Peach Cobbler Strong Ale. Boy, this did not disappoint at all. I would say it was a hit by the amount of "really good" comments it received. It was freaking delicious and the aging only added to its taste. We had this one when it was fresh and it wasn't one that really did anything for us. But the aging really brought forth the flavors and the bourbon touched you at the end at was really mellow, but not to much, as it was still present but oh so good.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I haven't had a Weihenstephaner in a while now. You're inspiring me to seek some out.

I recenty bought a bottle of sweet vermouth, so I'm on a cocktail kick to use it all up before it goes bad. Manhattans, Boulevardiers, Americanos, Rob Roys, etc. We're out of gin right now, so no Negronis.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I haven't had a Weihenstephaner in a while now. You're inspiring me to seek some out.
Weihenstephaner is supposed to be the oldest brewery in the world (1040 is the date commonly cited), and their beers are invariably superb; in fact, I have yet to try a beer that they brew that is not excellent, while their best beers are outstanding.

I recenty bought a bottle of sweet vermouth, so I'm on a cocktail kick to use it all up before it goes bad. Manhattans, Boulevardiers, Americanos, Rob Roys, etc. We're out of gin right now, so no Negronis.
I'm not much of a spirit drinker, actually, not a spirit drinker at all, beer and wine meet my needs although I can greet any of the wine family (sherry, port, cognac) without any concerns.

However, while my parents always kept some whisky, gin, vodka and brandy for guests, the pandemic changed the world, and my own friends tend to prefer beer or wine when we do meet, or, when I play host.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Last night the wife surprised me with a 2023 bottle of Sam Adams Utopia. I know this isn't for a lot of people, but when I tried it at The Great American Beer Fest a few years back I loved it. Needless to say, I can't wait to crack it open and try this years version! And no she didn't above retail lol... as it can be very expensive if purchased from some of the online sites.

Here are few articles for those that are not familiar with the beer.

https://thegnarlygnome.com/2021/09/the-return-of-sam-adams-utopias/

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night the wife surprised me with a 2023 bottle of Sam Adams Utopia. I know this isn't for a lot of people, but when I tried it at The Great American Beer Fest a few years back I loved it. Needless to say, I can't wait to crack it open and try this years version! And no she didn't above retail lol... as it can be very expensive if purchased from some of the online sites.

Here are few articles for those that are not familiar with the beer.

https://thegnarlygnome.com/2021/09/the-return-of-sam-adams-utopias/
A lovely and thoughtful gift.

I look forward to reading your tasting notes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to some beer today:

Some from the legendary Bavarian (German) brewery, Weihenstephaner - including their stunning seasonal offering Korbinian; and some beers from two equally legendary Belgium Trappist breweries, Trappistes Rochefort and Westmalle.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An astonishing - and superlative - beer from Weihenstephaner, their amazing "doppelbock", what the bottle itself describes as a "dunkles starkbier", the seasonal Korbinian dark beer.

Simply superb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.