Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Wow.

Well done, consider me impressed.

Have you any particular recommendations that you would care to share with us?
If you have a chance to go out to California, some of the best wineries are there.
Paso Robles is a good area (i am from that area so I grew up trying a lot of wine WAY BEFORE i was legal lol).

Son of a Son is a good choice from Paso Robles.

If you want something Non-American, I do recommend Blaauwklippen from Stellenboch, South Africa

Compared to White wines (which I am not the biggest fan of), it really is hard for me to find a less than desirable Cabernet. I have literally eaten a $200 steak with a $12 bottle of Cabernet (Woodbridge) lol.

Australia, surprisingly, has some good Cabernet that comes from there. Chile of course is good (a bit pricy depending) as well.
Are you a white or red wine lover? If so, which?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you have a chance to go out to California, some of the best wineries are there.
Paso Robles is a good area (i am from that area so I grew up trying a lot of wine WAY BEFORE i was legal lol).

Son of a Son is a good choice from Paso Robles.

If you want something Non-American, I do recommend Blaauwklippen from Stellenboch, South Africa

Compared to White wines (which I am not the biggest fan of), it really is hard for me to find a less than desirable Cabernet. I have literally eaten a $200 steak with a $12 bottle of Cabernet (Woodbridge) lol.

Australia, surprisingly, has some good Cabernet that comes from there. Chile of course is good (a bit pricy depending) as well.
Are you a white or red wine lover? If so, which?
I'm not American (and, despite having worked across three continents, I have never set foot on US soil), I'm from Europe, the British Isles.

This means that by background and culture (and, I suppose to some extent, by preference), I know and grew up with and learned to appreciate wines from the Old World (though I am more than partial to good wines from Chile; any recommendations will be more than welcome, for both red and white).

Now, I also know some of the New World wines, though, in Europe, "New World" tends to translate to wines from New Zealand (they are home to some good quality white wines), Australia, South Africa, and, of course, Chile.

Actually, American wines are hard to find in Europe, - in fact, none of the good wine merchants I patronise stock any wine whatsoever from the US.

Re the red/white divide, I used to be a red wine lover (and still like a good red, the quality of smoothness is something that I prize), until my wine merchant invited me to a private wine tasting around ten years ago, a time when I was home on leave from Afghanistan, to sample some of the unusual (and rare) contents of his private cellar, which was when he introduced me to Meursault, which was, to be candid, something of an epiphany.

Ever since then, I have been passionate about French white wines from Burgundy.

Re reds, I like smooth Italian reds, (Ripasso, Amarone and Brunello, for example), Chilean red reserve wines, and, from France, wines from the Côtes du Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape - obviously, - and so on. Spain is home to some rather good reds, also, and I belatedly realised that I am partial to wines that have the smoothness conferred by Granache. And yes, I have always been more than partial to a good Cabernet Sauvignon.

Re whites, I am partial to French and Chilean Chardonnay, Alsace Riesling (plus Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, and, of course, Gewürztraminer from Alsace), some Rieslings from Germany and Austria, Viognier, Albarino from Spain, (Alvarinho in Portugal), and I have also liked some wines with Gruner Veltliner.

Now, I don't much care for some of the insipid Pinot Grigios, and - other than in summer, when, occasionally, it is just perfect - my preference does not really like with Sauvignon Blanc.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Re reds, I like smooth Italian reds, (Ripasso, Amarone and Brunello, for example), Chilean red reserve wines, and, from France, wines from the Côtes du Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape - obviously, - and so on. Spain is home to some rather good reds, also, and I belatedly realised that I am partial to wines that have the smoothness conferred by Granache. And yes, I have always been more than partial to a good Cabernet Sauvignon.

I'd say you have a better advantage than I being from Europe :p You can easily go to a many of countries there lol.

France is actually a country I am visiting next march. A good french selection would be
vieux chateau lamothe bordeaux.

You honestly can't go wrong with Ripasso(I have a bottle of Santi Solane actually), Vapolicella is also a good choice.
I also am a fan of Sesti Brunello. Tuscanny has some amazing options. I'd like to retire there one day abd drink my old age away haha
Re whites, I am partial to French and Chilean Chardonnay, Alsace Riesling (plus Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, and, of course, Gewürztraminer from Alsace), some Rieslings from Germany and Austria, Viognier, Albarino from Spain, (Alvarinho in Portugal), and I have also liked some wines with Gruner Veltliner.

Now, I don't much care for some of the insipid Pinot Grigios, and - other than in summer, when, occasionally, it is just perfect - my preference does not really like with Sauvignon Blanc.

Whites I dont drink AS Much but I am partial to a good Sauv (but you dont like lol). Las Pizarras is a good Chilean Chardonnay, if you have not tried it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I am more than partial to a good Valpolicella.

And Tuscany, you can never go wrong, for food, wine, history, culture; my late father loved - (adored?) a good Chianti (and I must say that I find that it appeals to me, also).

In truth, all of Italy - every region - offers astonishingly good wines, especially reds.

Another Italian red wine that is both an affordable and very palatable (drinkable) is Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

Reactions: Silencio

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And my second beer tonight shall take the form of an absolute legend: Weihenstephaner (from Bavaria), with their superlative Korbinian (seasonal) beer, a "dunkel starkbier", a superb "doppelbock" beer.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
My post work drink and snack for the night. Curling up with my cat and soaking my feet and about to find some true crime podcast.

Something about listening to horrible true crime stories makes me sleep well 😬

Attachments

• IMG_0335_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_0335_jpg.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 25

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With wines, - and here and now, I refer to white wines - I love Riesling, and the wines of Alsace, such as Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, and the incomparable Gewürztraminer.

However, I also love - as in, adore - the really superb white wines of Burgundy, such as Chablis, Pouilly-Fuisée, St-Aubin, Mersault, Chassagne-Montrachet, and Puligny-Montrachet.

And these are very different and quite distinct styles; thus, this means that the actual choice - or selection - on a given evening, will very much depend on my mood, and also, on what will be served for dinner.

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

Foie gras & seafood platter with 2 amazing nectars. Meursault Genevrières 1er Cru from Bouchard Père & Fils. This one had a “plénitude” taste. There is no Grand Crus in Meursault (1er Cru is 10% of the highest quality, Grand Cru is 1%) but this one (with Charmes & Perrières) can be considered as a Grand Cru.

Nutty, butter, almond, typical flavors of Meursault but not acidic or vinous at all. It’s like drinking something very smooth. And the texture & the smell, it’s like a delicate and not strong perfume. Truly amazing and all in the suggestion.

If you are a wine enthusiast, you must at least try once in your life this Appelation.

One of my favorite Meursault. Oh and the accord with Foie Gras, wow just breathtaking. Heaven.

Then a Puligny. Well, after a Meursault of such quality…you feel the difference. But it’s a great wine, I enjoyed the 2019 better we had in the summer. It was drank with good company and that what matters the most.

I was always a fond of Meursault over Chassagne or Puligny (funny enough only a road separates both villages for the later) but the 3 of them are the best wine in the world (after you have Bâtard-Montrachet, Le Montrachet & Montrachet but these are exceptional). And I’m not telling you this because I’m French!

What an amazing time to be alive!

• Love

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
View attachment 2328688
View attachment 2328690

Foie gras & seafood platter with 2 amazing nectars. Meursault Genevrières 1er Cru from Bouchard Père & Fils. This one had a “plénitude” taste. There is no Grand Crus in Meursault (1er Cru is 10% of the highest quality, Grand Cru is 1%) but this one (with Charmes & Perrières) can be considered as a Grand Cru.

Nutty, butter, almond, typical flavors of Meursault but not acidic or vinous at all. It’s like drinking something very smooth. And the texture & the smell, it’s like a delicate and not strong perfume. Truly amazing and all in the suggestion.

If you are a wine enthusiast, you must at least try once in your life this Appelation.

One of my favorite Meursault. Oh and the accord with Foie Gras, wow just breathtaking. Heaven.

Then a Puligny. Well, after a Meursault of such quality…you feel the difference. But it’s a great wine, I enjoyed the 2019 better we had in the summer. It was drank with good company and that what matters the most.

I was always a fond of Meursault over Chassagne or Puligny (funny enough only a road separates both villages for the later) but the 3 of them are the best wine in the world (after you have Bâtard-Montrachet, Le Montrachet & Montrachet but these are exceptional). And I’m not telling you this because I’m French!

What an amazing time to be alive!
Wow.

Magnificent.

Do enjoy.

My own personal favourite wine (bar none) is Meursault.

There is nothing I would rather drink, and yes, I completely agree with you when you write that neither a Chassagne, nor a Montrachet (both superb wines) come anywhere close to the superlative Meursault.

And with foie gras, (and also an exceptionally appetising seafood platter), then, yes, I can well imagine.

Wonderful.

Reactions: gigatoaster

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
After seeing all your replies… we should meet and drink Meursault, my friend!
To savour a Meursault (yes, my very favourite wine), in congenial company would be wonderful.

Until I was introduced to Meursault (at a private wine tasting, a decade ago, when I was home on leave from central Asia, and the owner of a small, independent wine store invited me to attend a private tasting of some of his private collection), my preferences lay strongly with red wine, rich, robust, red wines.

Meursault was an epiphany, and utterly transformed my appreciation of white wine.
You’re in the UK, correct? Far from London? I’m in the South of France.
The British Isles, yes.

I know Paris, and am also acquainted with Chartres, (and Alsace, a little), but not, alas, the South of France.

However, my mother travelled a little in the region, on a trip with a group of classical history teachers, - visiting reminders of Rome, - and had loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.