Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I told myself I was going to try “Dry January”, just realized I had a glass of Chardonnay yesterday. Oops.
Hope you enjoyed the Chardonnay.

"Half Dry January" sounds a more achievable goal; the old (pre-Reformation) Christmas - the old twelve days of Christmas, - didn't count the end of the Yuletide season until after the sixth of January.

In any case, even the very idea of 'going dry" in January strikes me as unusually punitive.

One of the darkest, most miserable months of the year?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, over the past few days, I enjoyed a Riesling from Washington State (the first time I have ever had a Riesling from the US, this was strongly recommended by one of my wine merchants), which was astonishingly good.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
IMG_2738.jpeg
A surprisingly good beer I've discovered is Aldi's own Steenbrugge. It's their own Belgian abbey beer brand and brewed by Palm iirc.
Never expected a store brand to be this good but it's also not terribly cheap. Around €1.10 per 33cl bottle.

Their blond is great but their tripel, bock and others are great too.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I think there is pineapple, grenadines and Angostura bitters. Oh it’s made out of gin. I usually never drink gins but in the cocktail it’s very good!

Oh we switched to an amazing Meursault. Most probably the best I ever tasted and how wonderful it is!

IMG_0410.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think there is pineapple, grenadines and Angostura bitters. Oh it’s made out of gin. I usually never drink gins but in the cocktail it’s very good!

Oh we switched to an amazing Meursault. Most probably the best I ever tasted and how wonderful it is!

View attachment 2337100
Meursault: Wonderful, now, that is much more to my taste.

Do enjoy.

What made this Meursault that much better than the many others you have enjoyed previously?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
First the year, then the producer. Then the climate. You have 3 “parcels” of Meursault that are reputed to be the best: Charmes, Perrières and Genevrières. Then I believe you know the ranking between Meursault village & Premier Cru. Interestingly, there is no Meursault Grands Crus. 1er cru is 10% best récoltes, Grands Crus are 1% best.

The trio is often considered a Grand Cru.

I always wanted to try Domaine des Comtes Lafon. This is one of the most reputed producer. The color was gold but not golden. However the taste of vanilla and nut was exquisite. It’s fresh & elegant, almost like a Grand Cru. Plénitude is the word I’m looking in English. Guests were flabbergasted. I checked on vivino and even though it’s not a reference, grade 4,6.

Then, Domaine du Comte Lafon. Here is little history but it’s in French. Imagine they make wines since 1887! https://www.larvf.com/,domaine-des-comtes-lafon,10568,400694.asp

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
First the year, then the producer. Then the climate. You have 3 “parcels” of Meursault that are reputed to be the best: Charmes, Perrières and Genevrières. Then I believe you know the ranking between Meursault village & Premier Cru. Interestingly, there is no Meursault Grands Crus. 1er cru is 10% best récoltes, Grands Crus are 1% best.

The trio is often considered a Grand Cru.

I always wanted to try Domaine des Comtes Lafon. This is one of the most reputed producer. The color was gold but not golden. However the taste of vanilla and nut was exquisite. It’s fresh & elegant, almost like a Grand Cru. Plénitude is the word I’m looking in English. Guests were flabbergasted. I checked on vivino and even though it’s not a reference, grade 4,6.

Then, Domaine du Comte Lafon. Here is little history but it’s in French. Imagine they make wines since 1887! https://www.larvf.com/,domaine-des-comtes-lafon,10568,400694.asp
Wonderful.

I love Meursault.

Just now, I am sipping a superb dubbel, from the Trappist Westmalle brewery, in Belgium.

Reactions: gigatoaster

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A second beer before bed: A Westmalle Tripel, a legendary tripel, brewed by the Trappist Westmalle brewery (and monastery), and served in a Westmalle beer glass, (chalice, goblet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.