Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Had a delicious pour of Guinness this past weekend followed by rather nice pour of a Harp's Lager at a rather traditional Irish pub that is local to us.
Glad to read that the Guinness was good.

Harp's Lager?

Wow.

Haven't heard of that, in an age.

Does the pub serve Kilkenny Ale, which I am quite partial to when in an Irish pub?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
They don't, or that would have been my next beer! Harp's was actually really good and it hit the spot.
In general, I don't care much for Guinness, (apart from Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which I have had abroad and thoroughly enjoyed), and never really liked Harp's Lager.

But, Kilkenny (a red ale) is a genuinely good beer, and one that I heartily recommend.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sipping a Hefeweissbier Dunkel, from Weihenstephaner, the Bavarian state brewery, and the oldest brewery in the world.

I don't think that they make a bad beer, and most of their beers are excellent, while some are superlative.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My tradition, both at Christmastime and then again New Year's (plus other holidays) is to have a glass or two of Stella Artois, one of my favorite beers. Enjoyed a couple of glasses of Stella this evening as 2023 winds down and 2024 is on the horizon.

Unfortunately this past week, good intentions didn't come to fruition and I never made it to the store which sells some of my other favorites such as the excellent Trappist brews. Well, maybe in this next week or two.....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My tradition, both at Christmastime and then again New Year's (plus other holidays) is to have a glass or two of Stella Artois, one of my favorite beers. Enjoyed a couple of glasses of Stella this evening as 2023 winds down and 2024 is on the horizon.

Unfortunately this past week, good intentions didn't come to fruition and I never made it to the store which sells some of my other favorites such as the excellent Trappist brews. Well, maybe in this next week or two.....
Cheers.

Enjoy your Stella (Stellas?), and Happy New Year.

My own wine from Alsace is going down rather well, I must say; it is nice to toast the New Year with something agreeable and pleasant.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I haven't had a Harp in a long, long time. It used to be fairly easy to get in the US, but I haven't seen it in stores or on tap in some years, though I haven't exactly been seeking it out.

I won't touch Guinness in the US. It's full of high fructose corn syrup and other not so appealing ingredients. Not sure if they do the same for the brew they keep to themselves in Ireland, but I have to say it really did taste a lot better in Dublin. The standout beer I had on that trip was a Kinnegar Rustbucket red ale. Never been able to find it in the US.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I haven't had a Harp in a long, long time. It used to be fairly easy to get in the US, but I haven't seen it in stores or on tap in some years, though I haven't exactly been seeking it out.

I won't touch Guinness in the US. It's full of high fructose corn syrup and other not so appealing ingredients. Not sure if they do the same for the brew they keep to themselves in Ireland, but I have to say it really did taste a lot better in Dublin. The standout beer I had on that trip was a Kinnegar Rustbucket red ale. Never been able to find it in the US.
Kinnegar Rustbucket?

Allow me to commend and congratulate you, on your taste: I have made the acquaintance of this delightful beverage and wholeheartedly approve. It is excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.