Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
IMG_0530.jpeg

Very nice wine.

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I put the wrong picture. I wanted to show you another Puligny from Joseph Drouhin. Delicious: vanilla, brioche so nice.

WiFi is bad in the plane so I’ll put the correct picture when I land. In 13 hours!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I put the wrong picture. I wanted to show you another Puligny from Joseph Drouhin. Delicious: vanilla, brioche so nice.

WiFi is bad in the plane so I’ll put the correct picture when I land. In 13 hours!
Ah, excellent.

I look forward to it, so that I can salivate and dream, and remember what this absolute nectar is actually like.

Do enoy it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have obsessed with sweet wine recently, do you have any good recommendations?
Depends on what you mean by "sweet".

Are your preferences completely sweet, cloyingly sweet, "standard" sweet, or, the sort of sweet that is balanced, or tempered, by an underlying element of tartness?

My own preferences - when enjoying sweet wine - are for wines that have a balancing, or tempering, element of tartness; thus, I will always look out for tasting notes of "apricot" when inspecting (or reading) the label on a sweet wine.

Some of the best sweet wines will have come from grapes that have been allowed to dry (and thus, intensify in flavour as the grape caramelises, shrinking as the liquid evaporates) on the vine, - as they remain on the vine well past their normal harvest time; likewise, "botrytis", noble rot, a fungus that - in certain, ideal conditions - also serves to caramelise the grapes by concentrating the flavour as the liquid evaporates - will also have given rise to some of the best of the grapes that are used to produce sweet wines.

Reactions: Silencio

Joeyyye

Suspended
Jan 16, 2024
Depends on what you mean by "sweet".

Are your preferences completely sweet, cloyingly sweet, "standard" sweet, or, the sort of sweet that is balanced, or tempered, by an underlying element of tartness?

My own preferences - when enjoying sweet wine - are for wines that have a balancing, or tempering, element of tartness; thus, I will always look out for tasting notes of "apricot" when inspecting (or reading) the label on a sweet wine.

Some of the best sweet wines will have come from grapes that have been allowed to dry (and thus, intensify in flavour as the grape caramelises, shrinking as the liquid evaporates) on the vine, - as they remain on the vine well past their normal harvest time; likewise, "botrytis", noble rot, a fungus that - in certain, ideal conditions - also serves to caramelise the grapes by concentrating the flavour as the liquid evaporates - will also have given rise to some of the best of the grapes that are used to produce sweet wines.
Maybe is the "standard" sweet? I don't like the sour taste, that's why I asked for a sweet wine recommendation.
Anyway,thx for your reply.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Maybe is the "standard" sweet? I don't like the sour taste, that's why I asked for a sweet wine recommendation.
Anyway,thx for your reply.
Okay, then, most countries have some version of "sweet" wines, and some grapes respond better to this treatment, and here are a few that may be worth considering:

In Hungary, (and in some western European retailers), you will find "Tokay" (tokaji) wines, which are sweet, too sweet, for my personal preference and palate.

The younger Tokaji wines (for which read less expensive, less sophisticated, and less balanced) tend to be sweet, sometimes, very sweet.

Germany has "Icewine", (grapes shrivelled on the vine, so that all liquid evaporates leaving what remains very concentrated), and also, what they describe as Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese wines - this is a style, some grapes (such as Riesling) lend themselves to it. Again, the wines are sweet, but balanced as the price increases.

However, both Lidl and Aldi (German discounters) will stock some good quality, reasonably priced, German sweet - or semi-sweet - wines, especially in the season approaching Christmas.

Riesling is an astonishing and flexible grape that can be used to make sweet styles (which used to be very popular a few decades ago); these days, the fashion is more for dry wines, hence most Rieslings available nowadays are dry, or semi-sweet, but, I daresay that you can still find sweet Rieslings.

In France, sweet wines include the legendary Sauternes, and many of the wines made from the Muscat grape (either by itself or, blended).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And, I am drinking, sipping, savouring yet another superb beer from the Bavarian brewery, Weihenstephaner: This beer, their classic lager, simply goes by the name of "Original Helles".

This brewery doesn't brew a bad beer; actually, this brewery doesn't brew anything other than a superlative beer; several of their beers have won world prizes for 'best in category' beers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Found a lovel spot this evening:

Tom's Beers

In my neighbourhood (yes I'm back will fill you all in tomorrow).
I look forward to reading about it.

Having read the beers on that link, it struck me that many of them are IPA styles, and only one is a classic Belgian beer.

To be honest, I find myself getting very tired of this "hop heavy", or "over-hopped" style so strongly promoted by the artisan, or craft, beer movement (and I am a passionate supporter of the idea of craft, or artisan, brewing), and the winter, have reverted to (drinking) the classic styles from Belgium and Germany.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.