Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you choose, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro?

• Xbox One X

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 42 44.7%

• Total voters

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Great deal.

Keep in mind that with E3 around the corner, Sony and MS usually has sales on their hardware.

I would imagine that PS4/Pro will be $249/$349 during E3 and possibly here on out.

That’s in June right?

I think I can hold out that long for an X. The Pro and all the exclusives I have to catch up on will keep me busy.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
The correct answer, for me of course, is BOTH! Honestly though, I voted Xbox one X as I own two and play multiplayer at home with the family. (Own one original X box and bought a One X as a replacement for a second failed original a while back).

With that said, I just picked up a PS4 Pro GOW edition this weekend and am having a blast with it.

The last PlayStation I owned was a PS3, and I've been dying for another one to play all the exclusives I've missed the past few years. Just this weekend I picked up Uncharted 4, The Last of us Remastered, Horizon Zero Dawn, and of course, God of War with the console itself. I should be in gaming heaven for a while now, lol.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Big week for me!

Great ebay deal currently going on.

XB1X w/Assassins Creed Origin for $399 no tax free shipping.

Jumped all over it and happy to be back in both consoles again.

Reactions: whooleytoo

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Big week for me!

Great ebay deal currently going on.

XB1X w/Assassins Creed Origin for $399 no tax free shipping.

Jumped all over it and happy to be back in both consoles again.

Nice! Bought the same bundle here (but for a LOT more, here in Ireland). It's the best looking game I've played on the console so far. Looks fantastic. Picked up a 55" 4K TV at the same time, and gaming on a screen that big, yet the graphics being so sharp, is superb.

I wasn't going to bother with the Xbox One, but the X made it worth it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Nice! Bought the same bundle here (but for a LOT more, here in Ireland). It's the best looking game I've played on the console so far. Looks fantastic. Picked up a 55" 4K TV at the same time, and gaming on a screen that big, yet the graphics being so sharp, is superb.

I wasn't going to bother with the Xbox One, but the X made it worth it.

Me neither but the GameStop deal was too good to pass up for my S and OG XB that it pushed me. I love the X and will play all 3rd party titles there and only play exclusives on the Pro.

Now I need to decide if I want an OLED TV or not...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Me neither but the GameStop deal was too good to pass up for my S and OG XB that it pushed me. I love the X and will play all 3rd party titles there and only play exclusives on the Pro.

Now I need to decide if I want an OLED TV or not...

If you find a good gaming TV, let me know. Because my choice sucked! :) An LG 55SJ810V LED. Dolby Vision/Atmos support, looks good, great price, terrible refresh for gaming. Gaming Mode isn't much better, and is horribly blurred.

Or maybe it's just because my previous TV was a plasma, so had excellent refresh rate by comparison.

The silky smoothness of the X's framerate is spoilt a little if you have a TV that shudders/judders a bit when panning rapidly.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
If you find a good gaming TV, let me know. Because my choice sucked! :) An LG 55SJ810V LED. Dolby Vision/Atmos support, looks good, great price, terrible refresh for gaming. Gaming Mode isn't much better, and is horribly blurred.

Or maybe it's just because my previous TV was a plasma, so had excellent refresh rate by comparison.

The silky smoothness of the X's framerate is spoilt a little if you have a TV that shudders/judders a bit when panning rapidly.

I am holding out for one of the LG OLEDs. I am just waiting to pull the trigger on a clear out of last years model and find a good deal.

I have seen these in person and good lord it has been a while since I was that blown away by a piece of tech.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

I am holding out for one of the LG OLEDs. I am just waiting to pull the trigger on a clear out of last years model and find a good deal.

I have seen these in person and good lord it has been a while since I was that blown away by a piece of tech.
I held onto a Panasonic 65” plasma up until 3 years ago, also owned several others since the late 90s. First one was a 42” EDTV that I paid more than the current 2018 LG 65” C8 OLED cost, in late 90s dollars :eek: As nice as plasmas were, blacks were never truly black because there’s a graininess and noise even on a totally black screen. Never mind that it the 65” drew over 600 watts at the wall.

I bought the 65 B7 OLED about a month ago. It’s the first TV I’ve owned that I have nothing more wanting. I actually rearranged my entire room to so justifice to this TV, reran all my surround sound wires around the room for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I am set for the next 10 years. I have a high end 2015 Sony 55” dedicated to my game stuff. It looks horrible compared to the OLED, even my kids who don’t yet appreciate this kind of stuff notice the dramatic difference of the OLED.

OLED or bust. An LCD with pixels covering a backlight will never look as good as the pixels being the light themselves.

PS my bro in law netted the 65 C7 for $200 using his credit card price protection. They gave him $500 credit (maximum per claim) twice by mistake. So jealous since the card I used does not have price protection. I’m still extremely happy having paid $1700.

Reactions: whooleytoo

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I held onto a Panasonic 65” plasma up until 3 years ago, also owned several others since the late 90s. First one was a 42” EDTV that I paid more than the current 2018 LG 65” C8 OLED cost, in late 90s dollars :eek: As nice as plasmas were, blacks were never truly black because there’s a graininess and noise even on a totally black screen. Never mind that it the 65” drew over 600 watts at the wall.

I bought the 65 B7 OLED about a month ago. It’s the first TV I’ve owned that I have nothing more wanting. I actually rearranged my entire room to so justifice to this TV, reran all my surround sound wires around the room for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I am set for the next 10 years. I have a high end 2015 Sony 55” dedicated to my game stuff. It looks horrible compared to the OLED, even my kids who don’t yet appreciate this kind of stuff notice the dramatic difference of the OLED.

OLED or bust. An LCD with pixels covering a backlight will never look as good as the pixels being the light themselves.

PS my bro in law netted the 65 C7 for $200 using his credit card price protection. They gave him $500 credit (maximum per claim) twice by mistake. So jealous since the card I used does not have price protection. I’m still extremely happy having paid $1700.

I am on the hunt as we speak. I want the 65 inch. Hoping BB has a deal soon but not looking good. I enjoy the points and flexibility of financing. I do see a lot of eBay deals though so I am continuously looking!!

I am blown away by the black levels and just how crisp everything looks. I haven’t been that amazed by a TV in a long time.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
A tip on OLED TVs, apparently the majority of them are using LG panels now, only a couple of brands are not, so it’s down to the processing in them that makes them different.

Personally I’m going to look at the new 55” Sony and wait for a price drop, by sisters family has the 65” Sony A1 and a PS4 Pro and it plays really well. The new AF8 uses the same panel and processor but is cheaper.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
A tip on OLED TVs, apparently the majority of them are using LG panels now, only a couple of brands are not, so it’s down to the processing in them that makes them different.

Personally I’m going to look at the new 55” Sony and wait for a price drop, by sisters family has the 65” Sony A1 and a PS4 Pro and it plays really well. The new AF8 uses the same panel and processor but is cheaper.
I was just going to point that out, that Sony has better motion processing, although I’m already very pleased on even last years LG B7. The one thing that I positively *hate* on Sony is android TV being the OS. It is the most unstable OS on any electronic devices I’ve ever owned, even after two years of OS updates. Just last week it crashed on me twice in the middle of gaming, not even using any of the internal apps. The Sony will likely always cost more than the LG, but regardless because of android TV I likely will not buy a Sony again.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I was just going to point that out, that Sony has better motion processing, although I’m already very pleased on even last years LG B7. The one thing that I positively *hate* on Sony is android TV being the OS. It is the most unstable OS on any electronic devices I’ve ever owned, even after two years of OS updates. Just last week it crashed on me twice in the middle of gaming, not even using any of the internal apps. The Sony will likely always cost more than the LG, but regardless because of android TV I likely will not buy a Sony again.

The Android OS runs fine on the Sony, it’s just a bit slow, but it worked flawlessly when I used it. LG use WebOS as I understand, that along with Panasonic’s OS is supposed to be the best.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
by sisters family has the 65” Sony A1 and a PS4 Pro and it plays really well.
I cross shopped the A1 before I bought the LG C7, and from what I read it looked like picture quality was pretty close to same since they use the same LG panel like you mentioned. What really turned me off the A1 was it had this odd stand that had the set sitting leaning back a couple degrees.

sony-a1e-ae1-4k-oled-tv-2-3.jpg

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I am on the hunt as we speak. I want the 65 inch. Hoping BB has a deal soon but not looking good. I enjoy the points and flexibility of financing. I do see a lot of eBay deals though so I am continuously looking!!

I am blown away by the black levels and just how crisp everything looks. I haven’t been that amazed by a TV in a long time.
What really pops at you is the perfect black level, which gives very punchy colors that is immediately apparent even at a distance. Resolution is not nearly as important. I rearranged my room so that I’m almost 10 feet away from the TV, which now I can see a difference while playing a game compared to when it was 15 feet away. Watching a video the difference is still very minimal.
[doublepost=1525626565][/doublepost]
I cross shopped the A1 before I bought the LG C7, and from what I read it looked like picture quality was pretty close to same since they use the same LG panel like you mentioned. What really turned me off the A1 was it had this odd stand that had the set sitting leaning back a couple degrees.

View attachment 760864
Yeah that is such an odd design. My 55” Sony in the other room has a normal stand, but it still tilts back a bit which is very annoying, although I have it mounted on my entertainment center.
[doublepost=1525626918][/doublepost]
The Android OS ruins fine on the Sony, it’s just a bit slow, but it worked flawlessly when I used it. LG use WebOS as I understand, that along with Panasonic’s OS is supposed to be the best.
My 2015 is a stuttering mess whenever I try to go into the TVs settings. It pisses me off every time. So 3 years later it still runs a bit slow which is quite unacceptable. Sorry not trying to knock your tv but my Sony just pisses me off so much. WebOS in the LG is pretty smooth and responsive, but the most responsive OS on a tv that I’ve seen is Roku TV on those cheap TCLs. I actually prefer it over webos.

Reactions: Weaselboy

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

View attachment 760864

That houses the subwoofer and electronics, if you wall mount it it’s fine but if you put it in a table it can be a bit odd, the good thing with the Sony is the speakers built inside the screen, the whole screen vibrates as the speaker.

What really pops at you is the perfect black level, which gives very punchy colors that is immediately apparent even at a distance. Resolution is not nearly as important. I rearranged my room so that I’m almost 10 feet away from the TV, which now I can see a difference while playing a game compared to when it was 15 feet away. Watching a video the difference is still very minimal.
[doublepost=1525626565][/doublepost]
Yeah that is such an odd design. My 55” Sony in the other room has a normal stand, but it still tilts back a bit which is very annoying, although I have it mounted on my entertainment center.
[doublepost=1525626918][/doublepost]
My 2015 is a stuttering mess whenever I try to go into the TVs settings. It pisses me off every time. So 3 years later it still runs a bit slow which is quite unacceptable. Sorry not trying to knock your tv but my Sony just pisses me off so much. WebOS in the LG is pretty smooth and responsive, but the most responsive OS on a tv that I’ve seen is Roku TV on those cheap TCLs. I actually prefer it over webos.

Oh I haven’t got one yet. And I can change my mind as I am currently on my second Panasonic LCD, so I’ll look at the OLED one of those too.
It’s always good to hear user feedback as you don’t know what they are truly like without using them.

BaronSH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
I think it’s the KS8000 that’s probably the best “cheap” gaming tv.

I have a one X and struggling for things to play, rather envious of yakuza, god of war and upcoming Spider-Man.

That plus the lack of a native remote play has me leaning towards a PS4. Though the hardware is much better with the one x.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I have to say after the latest update my One S is much faster. So I may lean more towards that or the X in the case if this thread.

Looking forward to State Of Decay 2. Design wise I still thing my Xbox One S looks the best, a nice cool understated design for a plastic and metal box haha!

The PS5 rumour mill is in full effect now too, her may give more reason to buy an X and wait for the PS5 perhaps? So long as Sony make it fully backwards compatible for free like Microsoft have, then you won’t need to worry too much about games for it.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

I have a one X and struggling for things to play, rather envious of yakuza, god of war and upcoming Spider-Man.

That plus the lack of a native remote play has me leaning towards a PS4. Though the hardware is much better with the one x.
I was watching my son play God of War on our PS4 Pro yesterday. The thing was hot and sounded like a jet engine the whole time which is a bit concerning. The XB One X is pretty much silent in comparison. No doubt the X is much better hardware wise, more powerful while being smaller and much cooler running. But like you said, Sony does have a much better game lineup.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was watching my son play God of War on our PS4 Pro yesterday. The thing was hot and sounded like a jet engine the whole time which is a bit concerning.

Supposedly, God of War pushes the PS4 hardware to the max limits. Not surprising as we are close to the end of what devs can do with that platform.

Devs will now start efforts on PS5/Xbox Two....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was watching my son play God of War on our PS4 Pro yesterday. The thing was hot and sounded like a jet engine the whole time which is a bit concerning. The XB One X is pretty much silent in comparison.
I have the same experience. I've read, as @gkarris mentioned, that is mostly related to GOW really pushing the envelope and other games are not as bad about this. I have not played anything but GOW yet, so can't say.

My XBox One X was completely silent no matter the game or resolution settings.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio

This is everything that is wrong with Xbox in general. No exclusives! The only recent exclusive is Sea of Thieves but with Microsoft doing Play Anywhere with all of their exclusives, there really is no incentive to buy a X. You can just play the "exclusives" on your PC. The Switch and PS4 for example, have real exclusives (Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids, etc. , God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, MLB The Show, GT Sport, Little Big Planet, etc.).

The Forza series is the best exclusive Microsoft has. Gears and Halo (for me) don't really warrant the reason to purchase a Xbox (let alone a X) and Crackdown... I'll believe it when I see it! But if you're a racing sim fan and really like racing games, that is the reason to get a X. Forza 7 looks and plays amazingly well on the X.

Last edited:

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Read a story a while back where a game had a cross platform feature turned on. There were Xbox and Playstation people playing together in harmony. That is until the developer realized what they did and turned the feature off. Forgot the name of the game.

I live in an all Apple world but xBox rules at my house. Some would say having a PC eliminates the need for xBox, but lest not forget that a family of four can all play games at the same time via split screen. Or in my case, the neighbor kids come over and four of them can play at the same time.

Unfortunately I found with the xBox platform, that since the One came out everyone has to have their own login credentials. Or some games like Halo 5 do not offer split screen anymore.

But the OneX is a beast. We are pretty much using it to replace our Apple TV in one room. Since you can run apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc., kind of eliminates the need for a separate box.
[doublepost=1525705716][/doublepost]
I have the same experience. I've read, as @gkarris mentioned, that is mostly related to GOW really pushing the envelope and other games are not as bad about this. I have not played anything but GOW yet, so can't say.

My XBox One X was completely silent no matter the game or resolution settings.

But does it still get hot? My Xbox get's pretty toasty.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This is everything that is wrong with Xbox in general. No exclusives! The only recent exclusive is Sea of Thieves but with Microsoft doing Play Anywhere with all of their exclusives, there really is no incentive to buy a X. You can just play the "exclusives" on your PC. The Switch and PS4 for example, have real exclusives (Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario Rabbids, etc. , God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, MLB The Show, GT Sport, Little Big Planet, etc.).

I don't know why there's still the "comparisons" - the big three are just doing their own thing at this point. Sony and Nintendo will not ever get Halo...

Sony - PSVR, Exclusives
MS - Some Exclusives, Backwards Compatibility, Xbox Anywhere, Cross-Play
Nintendo - Exclusives, portability, Cross-Play

There's no "bad" or "system has lost to others" out there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.