Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you choose, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro?

• Xbox One X

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 42 44.7%

• Total voters

BaronSH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
Read a story a while back where a game had a cross platform feature turned on. There were Xbox and Playstation people playing together in harmony. That is until the developer realized what they did and turned the feature off. Forgot the name of the game.

I live in an all Apple world but xBox rules at my house. Some would say having a PC eliminates the need for xBox, but lest not forget that a family of four can all play games at the same time via split screen. Or in my case, the neighbor kids come over and four of them can play at the same time.

Unfortunately I found with the xBox platform, that since the One came out everyone has to have their own login credentials. Or some games like Halo 5 do not offer split screen anymore.

But the OneX is a beast. We are pretty much using it to replace our Apple TV in one room. Since you can run apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc., kind of eliminates the need for a separate box.
[doublepost=1525705716][/doublepost]

But does it still get hot? My Xbox get's pretty toasty.

Why does Xbox rule over playstation for you?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Why does Xbox rule over playstation for you?

I prefer the controller nothing more. Other than that they are both great boxes. I have had both. Not to mention my xbox live account integrates with my office account. I can monitor the grandkids time playing games, etc. Gives me a breakdown of each game they play, what apps they use, and what they buy. Works for me.

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I was a nintendo-fan from the SNES up until the N64. Never bought me a PSX at that time, because I was waiting for the more powerful N64...
That was such a disappointment that I sold it and went for the PSX... I've been a playstation-guy ever since. Did get me a Wii, but never played a lot on it. Just funny to play some tennis, and Zelda was cool, ugly as f**k, but cool.

Happy with the PS4 Pro and I must say, most people I know also have PS4's, not a lot of xbox-players out there.

Have Sony and Microsoft released some figures on the sales of their latest consoles?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Happy with the PS4 Pro and I must say, most people I know also have PS4's, not a lot of xbox-players out there.

Have Sony and Microsoft released some figures on the sales of their latest consoles?

Now that I finally have both, I think 4K support is going to be fairly hit-and-miss. Games are likely going to have to sacrifice quality elsewhere in order to support 4K & HDR, so the impressions of the consoles might vary a lot depending on which games you compare and what they've sacrificed to keep the frame-rate up.

Xbox One X:
In my experience, games don't have to sacrifice anything noticeable in order to play at 4K (with or without HDR). It's a definite step forward from playing on a 1080p console.

Assassin's Creed Origins: possibly the best looking game I've played. Everything is pin-sharp, HDR is great, framerate is solid.
Dishonoured 2: Not visually spectacular, but I love how everything in the game is so sharp, you can walk up to a book, or a painting inscription, or a poster and read everything without any jaggies.
(Also played Red Dead Redemption, a Xbox 360 game enhanced for Xbox One X. It looks a hell of a lot better than I'd have expected, the game-world geometry (buildings etc.) are slightly simpler/more basic than in more recent games, but the graphics are pin sharp and the frame-rate is fantastic.)

PS4 Pro:
Based on a couple of days' play, it seems games do have to sacrifice a little in order to play at 4K, usually it's the distance at which the LOD reduction kicks in. For me, the PS4 Pro is a must if you move from a 1080p TV to 2160p and want to maintain graphical quality; but it's not a 'WOW' moment.

Witcher 3: Definitely more sky detail and the HDR is great (most noticeably at sunset/sunrise). It seems to me the LOD reduction kicks in much sooner and distance objects lack detail. It might be my imagination, but lighting in some areas seems flat (as if lacking ambient occlusion?). Also noticed the culling of objects behind the player but in front of the camera is very aggressive - often I stepped backwards and a tree suddenly popped into existence behind me.

Battlefield 1: Early mission looks good, though again the distant LOD seems reduced. Once out of the tank and in the narrow confined forrest area, the detail and sharpness of everything was perfect.

GTA V: Only played this briefly, but it didn't seem noticeably better/worse than PS4 on a 1080p screen. Nothing stand-out in the initial play.

I'll definitely be buying any new games on Xbox One X given the choice.

Reactions: rotlex

BaronSH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
How's everyone feeling now E3 has been and gone, anyone switch platforms recently or planning to?

Sony are getting quite a bit of flack for blocking Fortnite ps4 players from playing on switch.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
How's everyone feeling now E3 has been and gone, anyone switch platforms recently or planning to?

Sony are getting quite a bit of flack for blocking Fortnite ps4 players from playing on switch.

Honestly? After E3 I’m glad I own all platforms! Can’t be a true gamer and only own one!

Reactions: whooleytoo

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
With all the games coming to the PS4, I'm sticking with it, without a doubt!

The Last of Us II just to name one of them...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Honestly? After E3 I’m glad I own all platforms! Can’t be a true gamer and only own one!

Nailed it.

So many fantastic titles coming out for both why not own both at this point? The exclusives of PS4 are unmatched and the functionality and power of the X is just a delight to play with.

Reactions: rotlex

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I have a PS4 Pro and I've been checking out the Switch...

Should I get one? Or leave that money on the PS Store (loads of nice pre-order games there)

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
I don't know why there's still the "comparisons" - the big three are just doing their own thing at this point. Sony and Nintendo will not ever get Halo...

Sony - PSVR, Exclusives
MS - Some Exclusives, Backwards Compatibility, Xbox Anywhere, Cross-Play
Nintendo - Exclusives, portability, Cross-Play

There's no "bad" or "system has lost to others" out there...

It’s possible Microsoft never really intended to stay or be in the console business but to finagle their way into families of America and elsewhere as a monopoly and monitor (they tried that with the xboxes “eye of Horus” always on internet device thingie) the goings on.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It’s possible Microsoft never really intended to stay or be in the console business but to finagle their way into families of America and elsewhere as a monopoly and monitor (they tried that with the xboxes “eye of Horus” always on internet device thingie) the goings on.

Rumor has it that the next software update will officially add keyboard and mouse support as well as any usb controllers. Imagine being able to play with your favorite controls like on the PC.

Heck there's speculation that MS will start adding Windows Apps to it.

Imagine getting a used Xbox One OG for less than $200 that will be more powerful than any budget PC in it's pricepoint - especially with the state of PC parts prices right now...

d4gli

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Zurich, Switzerland
Xbox One X @75" 4K with HDR - love it!

Today bought "OneCast" to stream games on my Mac - runs smooth in HQ. Love it when my wife blocks the tv in the living room and I'm still able to play

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Get a Switch! You will not be disappointed!
What I wouldn't give for a more powerful Switch. Maybe in a year or two. I'd even take an updated version that basically runs cooler and more efficient so it has a couple extra hours of battery and can play games 1080p on the internal display. Upgrade the build materials to be less prone to cracking and feel less plasticy with smoother lines and I'd be all over that. Maybe that could be like a more premium priced XL version? Maybe a couple inches bigger and with beefier joycons that aren't mostly sized for children.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What I wouldn't give for a more powerful Switch. Maybe in a year or two. I'd even take an updated version that basically runs cooler and more efficient so it has a couple extra hours of battery and can play games 1080p on the internal display. Upgrade the build materials to be less prone to cracking and feel less plasticy with smoother lines and I'd be all over that. Maybe that could be like a more premium priced XL version? Maybe a couple inches bigger and with beefier joycons that aren't mostly sized for children.

that would make a lot of sense as a progression, 1080p handheld and 'docked' rendering on the go.

since the software is there/titles, just not the hardware

tho im not finding 720p itself to be a problem handheld, the bigger problem is how they decide to downscale to 720p and forego rendering certain elements along with the resolution downgrade

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Today bought "OneCast" to stream games on my Mac - runs smooth in HQ. Love it when my wife blocks the tv in the living room and I'm still able to play
Which display did you buy for it? I've got this one coming on Friday (was $423 when I ordered it) to run my work MBP when I'm working in my new office that is almost finished. It will also be running the Xbox One X that I'm planning to buy this autumn either on sale or as part of a special edition ahead of Fallout 76. I wish there was a way for iMacs to run Xbox at 4K but there's no target display mode any more and there's no real-time external capture card that does 4K60 that I could use to hack a solution together.
[doublepost=1533152818][/doublepost]
that would make a lot of sense as a progression, 1080p handheld and 'docked' rendering on the go.

tho im not finding 720p itself to be a problem handheld, the bigger problem is how they decide to downscale to 720p and forego rendering certain elements along with the resolution downgrade
Yeah. Honestly it needs a better quality display, as in the tech running it, before 1080p probably. My iPhone X spoils the hell out of me.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015

Huh? That's not quite how it works, my friend. The Switch renders natively at 720p because that's its screen resolution. When docked, it can render up to 1080p, but many games don't go that high and only render at 900p, such as Breath of the Wild.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Huh? That's not quite how it works, my friend. The Switch renders natively at 720p because that's its screen resolution. When docked, it can render up to 1080p, but many games don't go that high and only render at 900p, such as Breath of the Wild.

I was generalizing

But there are two modes to games in any case: and not a given it’s 720p or 1080p output I concur.

There’s a docked mode and a portable mode

If portable mode can match docked mode 100% of the time however you cut it
That would be a NICE upgrade IMO

Portable mode usually has some compromises in textures and elements outside of the raw resolution differences. And FPS differences. Though Nintendo optimization is insane

60fps portable AAA is a treat (and butter)

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I was generalizing

But there are two modes to games in any case: and not a given it’s 720p or 1080p output I concur.

There’s a docked mode and a portable mode

If portable mode can match docked mode 100% of the time however you cut it
That would be a NICE upgrade IMO

Portable mode usually has some compromises in textures and elements outside of the raw resolution differences. And FPS differences. Though Nintendo optimization is insane

60fps portable AAA is a treat (and butter)
True, but man can you imagine the battery life? BotW clocks in at under 3 hours in portable mode just at 720p. If all games ran at docked resolution in this current iteration of the Switch, I think I'd get more battery life playing games on my iPhone X, lol.

BaronSH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
Xbox is connected to a Hisense h75n6800. When streaming to Mac just the internal 13" panel...

How do the mac/iOS users here feel about perhaps missing out on some of the benefits of the windows/Xbox ecosystem. Why not PS4 pro, isn’t that a better fit (plus better exclusive and native Mac streaming)?

Reactions: d4gli

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

Ha! It's handy isn't it. When my GF is watching Netflix on the TV I use Remote Play to play PS4 PRO on the Mac laptop. It works beautifully. My brother found it handy over Christmas as he could play PS4 on my laptop in the guest bedroom.

Reactions: d4gli

d4gli

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Zurich, Switzerland
That's cool, never heard before that there's a native app to allow remote playing from ps to osx...
As far as I can see we should be happy to see that we can play our games on MAC! Maybe one day we can challenge up on both systems in every game :) Maybe would just miss 4k/60FPS on ps4 pro, that was the reason to upgrade from xbox one s to X

Attachments

• Screen 2018-08-04 um 19.31.40.jpg
    Screen 2018-08-04 um 19.31.40.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 194

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
That's cool, never heard before that there's a native app to allow remote playing from ps to osx...

Yes, it's native and free. I can Remote Play on my Mac from a different room without touching the PS4. There is also a native app for Xperia phones. I will buy a used one when they are dirt cheap and get a phone mount for the controller.

As far as I can see we should be happy to see that we can play our games on MAC! Maybe one day we can challenge up on both systems in every game :) Maybe would just miss 4k/60FPS on ps4 pro, that was the reason to upgrade from xbox one s to X

Because you owned a One S it made perfect sense to upgrade to the X. I was choosing from a more neutral ground. As a massive Halo fan I was edging towards the X, but after 2 months of research I discovered that extremely few titles run natively 4K/60fps on the X.

Similar to the Pro, many use checker boarding, dynamic resolution or run at max 70-80% of 4k to maintain a good frame rate. Thus in practice, the difference in visuals between the Pro and X is smaller than what the spec sheet suggest. I downloaded several 4k comparison videos from Digital Foundry played via PLEX but could sometimes only see a difference between the two consoles if I stuck my nose up to the TV. This, along with price difference and the opportunity to play GranTurismo edged me towards the PRO.

However I still think the X is a fantastic console and the price premium is justified because some where developers have made a big effort, the X does look better and is also capable of playing UHD discs.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Yes, it's native and free. I can Remote Play on my Mac from a different room without touching the PS4. There is also a native app for Xperia phones. I will buy a used one when they are dirt cheap and get a phone mount for the controller.

Because you owned a One S it made perfect sense to upgrade to the X. I was choosing from a more neutral ground. As a massive Halo fan I was edging towards the X, but after 2 months of research I discovered that extremely few titles run natively 4K/60fps on the X.

Similar to the Pro, many use checker boarding, dynamic resolution or run at max 70-80% of 4k to maintain a good frame rate. Thus in practice, the difference in visuals between the Pro and X is smaller than what the spec sheet suggest. I downloaded several 4k comparison videos from Digital Foundry played via PLEX but could sometimes only see a difference between the two consoles if I stuck my nose up to the TV. This, along with price difference and the opportunity to play GranTurismo edged me towards the PRO.

However I still think the X is a fantastic console and the price premium is justified because some where developers have made a big effort, the X does look better and is also capable of playing UHD discs.

I happen to have both a PS4 Pro and a X (I really like Sony's exclusives), I can tell you without a doubt that the X runs laps around the Pro. Games that are X enhanced (and ones that are not marketed as so) run much better on the X. Destiny 2 is a great example. Both consoles upscale Destiny 2 to 4K... but it looks night and day different on the X. Much more crisp, everything loads faster, it runs smoother, even little things like the menus load and feel different on the X.

Now... if Microsoft could get/create some damn exclusives that are worth a damn, that'd be great!

Reactions: iMi and whooleytoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.