Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
people seem to forget how limited the iPhone was at launch [and I thought is was a bit disappointing once I got over the launch hype]. Yes it was a more obvious product, but the avp has as much potential than the phone, it will take time to mature like all new technologies.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

somantyx

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2024
I don't understand why this device wasn't made to plug directly into an existing apple device (i.e phone/pad/laptop) or wirelessly with a pro version in the same way that carplay works. Call it "visionplay" (and then it can work with other VR systems??). Then every single app I already have works with it, including the apple arcade. From there arcade apps could be made specifically for the vision pro. On top of that, you could sell battery backups for the iPhone or other devices to extend the length of the device. Potentially require a "pro" device to use it, which increases pro sales and makes it require an existing apple product to use. Sell the thing for $1k, even $1.5k and it's instantly better than the meta products. Get rid of the stupid face stuff on the front and all the heavy glass and go for a retro old school mac plastic look (those lovely old clear colored macs as a reference). Make it as lightweight as possible and as thin as possible. I would have bought it day one without even thinking about my budget.

As it stands, it's overpriced, overweight, and has absolutely no product within that I care about that I can't do the same or better with my quest 2 or a freaking tv.

But then again, Apple has no idea how overpriced their products are these days and have zero understanding of the consumer market. Everything needs to be as expensive as possible rather than trying to make something usable and accessible to all and letting the cash flow in from that.

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I don't understand why this device wasn't made to plug directly into an existing apple device (i.e phone/pad/laptop) or wirelessly with a pro version in the same way that carplay works. Call it "visionplay" (and then it can work with other VR systems??). Then every single app I already have works with it, including the apple arcade. From there arcade apps could be made specifically for the vision pro. On top of that, you could sell battery backups for the iPhone or other devices to extend the length of the device. Potentially require a "pro" device to use it, which increases pro sales and makes it require an existing apple product to use. Sell the thing for $1k, even $1.5k and it's instantly better than the meta products. Get rid of the stupid face stuff on the front and all the heavy glass and go for a retro old school mac plastic look (those lovely old clear colored macs as a reference). Make it as lightweight as possible and as thin as possible. I would have bought it day one without even thinking about my budget.

As it stands, it's overpriced, overweight, and has absolutely no product within that I care about that I can't do the same or better with my quest 2 or a freaking tv.

But then again, Apple has no idea how overpriced their products are these days and have zero understanding of the consumer market. Everything needs to be as expensive as possible rather than trying to make something usable and accessible to all and letting the cash flow in from that.
how will knocking $2k off the price make it instantly better than the quest 3? The quest 3 is actually a good device, and still a lot cheaper. It is probably the right device at a consumer level, and maybe Apple will release something at this level in 2025 once they have some more learnings [from these surveys]

DwayneDwibbley

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
Oh now you ask? Why didn't you ask before you made the thing?
Did you read any of the article? It seems like it would be pretty hard to ask someone
Overall how satisfied are you?
What is your favorite feature aspect?
How often do you use your Apple Vision Pro?
For how long do you typically wear it before deciding to take it off?
Who else uses it?
And the rest of the list that would be literally impossible to ask someone about a product that didn’t exist.
That might be why they didn’t ask before it existed. But I could be wrong and it’s possible someone at Apple can see the future.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Every time I see the acronym of AVP I immediately think Alien Vs Predator. Just call it Vision. Oh wait, that's taken too.

W.O.P.R.

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
By default, I still see AVP and automatically think Alien vs. Predator. It makes for some interesting reading in these discussions.

"Exactly that’s what I’ve been saying about the AVP it’s not worth it as we as humans don’t want things on our head or face that’s not actually needed."

71EdPht-rKS.jpg

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Something something Henry Ford, faster horse something something…
The amazing thing about this quote is that Henry Ford also only sold his car in black because he decided that's all consumers wanted. He was very wrong about that and let his hubris get in the way of giving the customer what they actually wanted. That's very much in Apple's playbook too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The fact Vision Pro is still only available in the US won’t help matters.

apple said to be cutting production could be quite a few different factors. However the projected amount they were going to make from other sources was 500k. I’m not sure where the 800k ever came from. I don’t think that was ever realistic for year 1

i don’t think apple should expect to see people buy this thing until they get it at least 1500 cheaper than it is.

cost of living is a joke these days so people certainly won’t spend this level of money for something which can’t replace their phone when they are out and about. I think it’s a good start tech wise but has a long way to go

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong

Disagree , I love the eyesight feature it’s so thoughtful and cute ( my gf eye look like anime girl in there )

I have liked this feature since the day it was leaked , and 30% day 1 purchase incentive for me was apple persistent for design

Slim Beautifully curved aluminum body stuff with all that tech and the glossy glass just make it usable outside without look / feeling like a dork

( I barely touch / don’t want to touch my iMac iPhone ever since I got it , totally replaced my phone while using it stationary like lining up for a hot new restaurant for two hours )

Again disagree with you , visionOS alone is better than your quest 2 and don’t even mention tv unless you got a private imax at your huge mansion

Only thing I agree with meta quest headset is they have a lot of games and I love VR and I admire they burning money to push forward in VR I may even buy a quest 3 for gaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.