Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
A magic headpiece from Apple would have been immersive AR no larger and not much different than a normal pair of glasses.

We have one at our home office that I visited this week and didn't care to pick it up. Boring. Big. And feedback from others using it sounded less-than-ideal.
Sorry you didn’t get a survey as a non-owner and non-user, but at least you got to judge a book by its cover. That’s something.

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
Either you are „Still waiting for mine.“ or it is „One of the most magical first gen Apple products I've ever owned“.

Is this a bot generated message since it doesn‘t make any sense to me?
What? Not that hard to comprehend: I would still like to provide feedback for a (magical) first gen product. I felt this way about the first iPod and first iPhone but did they stop at one? No, they iterated and improved.

ryan102

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
The deep sigh at the launch event @ Apple Park from the Apple fans when the price was revealed on screen pretty much summed up the headsets future. When their own supporters struggled to clap and cheer, the writing was on the wall.

The headset itself isn't for the masses. This thread has summed up a number of factors from price to locking yourself into your own world to economic, it was a huge upward struggle.

The argument that people don't want to strap a VR headset to their head for hours at a time stands true. I've yet to see anyone argue that it's something people have long craved or even want.

There is no single argument again the headset but rather a number of fairly sizeable reasons. No amount of feedback is going to change the fact that as humans, we just don't want things stuck on our head whether that's 3D glasses of electronic headsets.

I've heard a few say this is the future, it will have amazing features and potential is huge. It may or may not be but it's neither of those things right now so Apple is not going to make the headset the next big must-have product.

I would personally cut their losses and just cancel the International launch but I suppose it's the 1 company that has money to burn so if they want to carry on then that's their decision but I feel it's going to go the same way as other recent Apple products....

Last edited:

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
3.5% inflation 1.6% economic growth. A downturn is negative economic grow and 3.5% inflation is not massive.
Up from 1.8% in the last three months of 2023 and the biggest increase in a year.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, so-called core inflation rose at a 3.7% rate, up from 2% in fourth-quarter 2023

Ya ok. Everyone is knee deep in cash right now buddy.

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
Seems somewhat analogous to the Apple Watch when it first rolled out. It as was impressive, compared to the competition, but Apple didn't seem quite sure what the actual market was for it. Now it has settled very much into the fitness/lifestyle segment, which has extremely broad appeal even for those who don't exercise regularly.
Apple may very well be in a similar mode now with AVP. They introduced it encouraging use as a 1) work device and 2) entertainment device. Because of its weight, it doesn't seem to be ideal for fitness use at all. Time will tell if it finds its niche.
One of the ironies is that the very same people who can afford something like this can already afford to go the sporting events, the concerts (no, not the surface of the moon), and already have incredible AV systems. Except maybe for the well-off bachelor who lives/works alone, I still don't quite see a market to support this endeavor.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
The price in Australia for this would be $5500 which is just too much for most consumers here for a toy. There are though many wealthy Apple fans who won't bat an eyelid paying this. Its just a sub-par mac strapped to head, a toy, a novelty at this point in time. Apple has loads of money, so if they serious about this product and what sales to increase it needs to be at least 4 times less the price it is currently and have a use-case. It's for Apple fans, youtubers and those who want to make money from selling apps.

Reactions: arkitect

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
Up from 1.8% in the last three months of 2023 and the biggest increase in a year.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, so-called core inflation rose at a 3.7% rate, up from 2% in fourth-quarter 2023

Ya ok. Everyone is knee deep in cash right now buddy.
Actually, that's a natural cause of inflation: People have too much money to spend. Betwen massive fiscal (tax cuts, COVID checks, PPP 'loans', 'Inflation Reduction Act' spending) and monetary (maintaining hyperlow interest rates for too long) stimulus, housing appreciation, stock market appreciation, and income increases, we are knee-deep in cash. Now, that 'we' may or may not include you or me. But it has been enough to support some higher prices, even with oil well off its 2022 highs ($80 vs $113).
Of course, much of that money has been borrowed/printed, and will have to be paid back by our children and their children, but that is a different story for a different time...

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
Price. Price Price Price Price.

At $35.00, I'd buy one just to play with. At $350.0, I'd consider it. At $3500, absolutely not.

They need to move the decimal point.

And then put macOS on it. That's Apple's biggest failing, every iDevice should be running macOS, not a crippled half-baked version of it.

Get rid of the idiotic front screen. It's a pointless waste of money. Ditch the front camera, if I'm using something like this, I do not care what's around me, get rid of AR, just make it VR.

wmmead

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2017
Davis, California
they asked for ONE thing I would change. I figured everyone else would add the obvious answers about weight and price, etc. The one thing I put down seems like it should be easy enough to do. I want to be able to log into my iphone without typing a PIN when using AVP. A small thing, but a constant annoyance, pretty much every time I use AVP.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014

At $35.00, I'd buy one just to play with. At $350.0, I'd consider it. At $3500, absolutely not.

And then put macOS on it. That's Apple's biggest failing, every iDevice should be running macOS, not a crippled half-baked version of it.

Get rid of the idiotic front screen. It's a pointless waste of money. Ditch the front camera, if I'm using something like this, I do not care what's around me, get rid of AR, just make it VR.

I dont believe you understand the product and how it can work, hence why you are negative and downvote anything positive.
Yes it is too expensive but that's about it.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America

First:
The price is definitely too high for most people (including myself). But cutting it down to $350 is likely never going to happen, even years from now. You’re expecting it to be cheaper than an iPhone SE or slightly more expensive than the 9th gen iPad.

Second:
Apple would not and should not put macOS on all their iDevices. They’ve made mobile versions of their OS, so you can easily use it with a touch screen. visionOS may not be at an ideal stage yet, but Apple has every reason to develop an OS that is dedicated to AR/VR applications, and not be stuck in a macOS mindset.

Third:
Getting rid of AR would rob the Apple Vision lineup of delivering an experience that keeps you connected to the world around you. I’ve used VR and it’s very cool, but what Apple envisions is a different type of immersion. Tim Cook has been very pro-AR for years, so that’s not going anywhere. Furthermore, Apple can’t really compete from a gaming perspective, so it would definitely hurt them to eliminate AR experiences and full-VR.

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
I saw a bunch of people post they got this! Still waiting for mine. One of the most magical first gen Apple products I've ever owned, though. ONLY just the beginning.
Yes I’m one of the crazed user using it 12 hours a day with enhanced beta feedback on
Why arent they sending me that email yet

Attachments

• IMG_0243.png
    IMG_0243.png
    2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
It’s the PRICE, Apple. $3500 is a lot for people who aren’t rich. Since a bunch of millionaires designed it, perhaps you are not aware of this.

I bought one and returned it. It’s definitely innovative and fun, but there was no real “killer app” to speak of. If the device ran MacOs, I might consider it as a monitor and computer replacement.

I would love to rent one for when I go to Europe this Fall…the 3D video is perfect for travel.

I get it - this cost a LOT to develop. Most people just don’t understand how incredibly brave this was to make. Only Apple would do this, and I love you for it. Truly. I can’t wait for the $1500 or $2000 one (with AppleCare of course). And we need more apps…a killer one.
You love apple for making a bold move & innovation but when it comes to paying for it it’s bunch of BS from you , funny

I bought it on day 1 and loving it since and 40% of that first day purchase was because of they tried to make even a VR headset looks good and the eye sight feature is so thoughtful & cute ( my gf eyes looks like animation girls on it )

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
Until this tech gets to a point it's just like wearing glasses the practicality is just a deal breaker for me. The early adopters can help get it there I guess. But I personally don't see myself desiring this thing at all. Especially at that price point.

Funny
Been watching too much sci fi movies ?
It’s your loss anyway , keep dreaming while I’m enjoying the future tech

maybe it could happen in 30 years when they can fit the battery into two thin stick of the glasses or somehow magically the thing just runs

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
A magic headpiece from Apple would have been immersive AR no larger and not much different than a normal pair of glasses.

We have one at our home office that I visited this week and didn't care to pick it up. Boring. Big. And feedback from others using it sounded less-than-ideal.
Yea it’s just you
So much ******** from someone not even remotely interested in VR commenting on a spatial computer

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Here’s some feedback Apple, we are in a recession, most people don’t have disposable income to buy groceries or gas much less to spend $4k on a VR headset. Make a much less expensive mainstream version or deal with the 1% of consumers who would buy this and .0001% of the 1% who don’t realize after they bought it that it’s a giant waste of money.
I’m sorry the US has the best “Economy in the World” that being said this is definitely a $3,500 toy. My first car didn’t even cost that much.
I’m not interested in this at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.