Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
As also said elsewhere: How to increase sales of Apple Vision Pro? Just release other model to watch 3D movies. And no prescription inserts required! Just that. That easy!
The prescription inserts aren't included in the $3.5k price, that isn't going to increase sales.

Reactions: arkitect

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I'm amazed that so many posters knew Steve personally. He didn't seem the type.
Imaginary Steve Jobs is my best friend.

Whatever I happen to think, Imaginary Steve Jobs is there to back it up.

Imaginary Steve Jobs loves my Apple Vision Pro. But when the light guard snaps off when I pick it up, he's quick to remind me that I'm holding it wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: lkrupp

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Here’s some feedback Apple, we are in a recession, most people don’t have disposable income to buy groceries or gas much less to spend $4k on a VR headset. Make a much less expensive mainstream version or deal with the 1% of consumers who would buy this and .0001% of the 1% who don’t realize after they bought it that it’s a giant waste of money.
CC
Here’s some feedback Apple, we are in a recession, most people don’t have disposable income to buy groceries or gas much less to spend $4k on a VR headset. Make a much less expensive mainstream version or deal with the 1% of consumers who would buy this and .0001% of the 1% who don’t realize after they bought it that it’s a giant waste of money.
The unemployment rate is 3.8%. Average household income and average wage gains are increasing as well (more than inflation at the point). Consumer spending is also rising. We are not in a recession. Apple makes relatively expensive consumer technology. The price of this headset isn’t surprising.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Apple usually tells you what to like, they must be off the mark if they are asking customers for ideas. Thats how they fixed their laptops after they took away all the ports and put bad keyboards in them. This should make second generation Vision Pro owners happy, but how many of those fixes will trickle down to the original most diehard customers?

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Check your facts guy. We are in fact in an economic downturn. Massive inflation ring any bells also?
Facts: You said "we are in a recession," and we are not. "Recession," the word you used, has a very specific economic meaning. That meaning is not applicable to the U.S. economy today.

While you're looking up the definition of recession, you may also want to look up "moving the goal posts," since that is what your comment is attempting to do. ;)

The inflation rate is currently 3.5%, down considerably from its recent 2020-2021 highs. If you want to call 3.5% a "massive" amount, then I won't stop you. Inflation isn't good right now, but neither is it "massive" (IMHO), especially compared to where we've been recently.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Oh now you ask? Why didn't you ask before you made the thing?

Yes I’m sure Apple was able to anticipate the need for an App Store and every other customer complaint about the first iPhone before they made it :rolleyes:.

People tend to forget that Apple’s revolutionary products were never revolutionary right out of the oven. They usually got the foundational parts right in gen 1, like the OS and interaction medium (clickwheel, multi-touch, Digital Crown, eye tracked gestures etc.) and the feature set was eventually filled out over later updates and iterations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow_Servo

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
We will all watch Timmy enter the stage on WWDC and he is going to tell us that the responses were awesome and insanely positive.
He will tell us that Apple created a new world with its technological breakthrough and many developers are working on incredible ideas.

Then someone from a game company will enter the stage and present you a working Unreal Engine on AVP.

But in the end, no one wants to wear a helmet in the office or at home …

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Apple’s strategy with the Apple Watch was to include a whole lot of features, and then spend time improving what was popular, ie fitness. But the Watch is a very low-friction device with a time-honoured place on the human body.

That same strategy might not work with the Vision Pro, which is a high-friction device which you need to actively put on. Apple have included a lot of features in the device, but I believe you need to actually have a purpose to wear it, something that you can’t do any other way.

Some features of the media consumption are like that — 3D movies, Immersive Video, Spatial Photos and Video — but crucially flat videos are not, which is why I don’t think it will drive adoption to any great degree. 3D TV failed, and it seems that 3D was not a big enough driver of interest to fuel a conversion. This is an incidental plus only.

The idea of multiple monitors in an AR space around the home is going to attract only a small number of people. For a few — like frequent flyers — it will be a lifesaver, but I don’t think this will shift a significant number of units in sales. The actual uses of AR are not well explored yet.

So what might we expect from the App Store? I think the thing that might really make a difference is 3D model authoring in AR. There is still a big difference in convenience between a 3D program like Cinema 4D which operates with 3D views on 2D planes, and a 3D program which allows you to view and author objects in 3D naturally as you might in a woodworking tool shop. Whether that is a big enough industry to move a lot of units I couldn’t say.

rbbloom99

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
I, for one, was SO excited about the Vision Pro. It represents a chance to see and experience places in the world that were never going to be possible for those of us with disabilities. I watched the progress of its development, celebrated its release, and couldn't sleep the night before my in-store demo.

During my demo, I realized it was everything I hoped it to be and more. Then reality struck. There was almost no content that would take advantage of Vision Pro's full-screen immersive video capabilities. My gut said the Vision Pro wasn't going to sell in the numbers needed to make full-scale immersive video mainline.

My dream of standing at the top of the Grand Canyon and looking over the edge will have to remain a dream. So close...

TIOATIOA

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2016
SC, USA
Ah yes, the pay-$4k-to-play beta test results should be in soon. How are the goggles, wealthy testers? P.S. The cake is a lie!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Classic chicken or the egg conundrum, there’s no easy way through.
Quite true! The two only meet when there is a vision (no pun intended) where both sides believe in the path forward. As others have noted, it seems this product is in search of a problem and the price tag adds to the uncertainty whether it will gain sufficient traction.

Reactions: crsh1976

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I, for one, was SO excited about the Vision Pro. It represents a chance to see and experience places in the world that were never going to be possible for those of us with disabilities. I watched the progress of its development, celebrated its release, and couldn't sleep the night before my in-store demo.

During my demo, I realized it was everything I hoped it to be and more. Then reality struck. There was almost no content that would take advantage of Vision Pro's full-screen immersive video capabilities. My gut said the Vision Pro wasn't going to sell in the numbers needed to make full-scale immersive video mainline.

My dream of standing at the top of the Grand Canyon and looking over the edge will have to remain a dream. So close...

Don’t give up hope.
AVP might get the content you describe in the future.
I too have a disability that prevents me from traveling
to all the places around the world I would love to explore.
I don’t have a lot of time for that content to arrive,
so the sooner it gets here the better.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Facts: You said "we are in a recession," and we are not. "Recession," the word you used, has a very specific economic meaning. That meaning is not applicable to the U.S. economy today.

While you're looking up the definition of recession, you may also want to look up "moving the goal posts," since that is what your comment is attempting to do. ;)

The inflation rate is currently 3.5%, down considerably from its recent 2020-2021 highs. If you want to call 3.5% a "massive" amount, then I won't stop you. Inflation isn't good right now, but neither is it "massive" (IMHO), especially compared to where we've been recently.
The guy in the room that always needs to be right.

Last edited:

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

We are not in a recession. Far from it.

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
A magic headpiece from Apple would have been immersive AR no larger and not much different than a normal pair of glasses.

We have one at our home office that I visited this week and didn't care to pick it up. Boring. Big. And feedback from others using it sounded less-than-ideal.
Yea it’s just you
So much ******** from someone not even remotely interested in VR commenting on a spatial computer

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
We will all watch Timmy enter the stage on WWDC and he is going to us that the the responses were awesome and insanely positive.
He will tell us that Apple created a new world with its technological breakthrough and many developers are working on incredible ideas.

Then someone from a game company will enter the stage and present you a working Unreal Engine on AVP.

But in the end, no one wants to wear a helmet in the office or at home …
Yea and I say you are so full of ****

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2248.jpeg
    IMG_2248.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Disagree
Reactions: H.E. Pennypacker

Vaga8ond

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
Georgia
CC

The unemployment rate is 3.8%. Average household income and average wage gains are increasing as well (more than inflation at the point). Consumer spending is also rising. We are not in a recession. Apple makes relatively expensive consumer technology. The price of this headset isn’t surprising.
That is because more people are working a second job. The unemployment figures are based on the number of people who are receiving unemployment benefits not the actual number who are unemployed and even then you make more money working gig jobs than you do making $333 a week on unemployment. You have numbers and numbers that lie.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Some features of the media consumption are like that — 3D movies, Immersive Video, Spatial Photos and Video — but crucially flat videos are not, which is why I don’t think it will drive adoption to any great degree. 3D TV failed, and it seems that 3D was not a big enough driver of interest to fuel a conversion. This is an incidental plus only.
Vision Pro is actually great for watching flat videos (as long as you're watching by yourself, or with other Vision Pro users in a shared experience). You can make the screen virtually any size. You can watch in the desert, on top of a mountain, or in the Yosemite Valley. Or you can put the screen on the ceiling for watching in bed.

I understand your point about high friction. The iPad is a device that didn't do anything new or that you couldn't do on other devices. People laughed at it for not having its own special purpose, but it was and is a success.

Reactions: splogue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.