Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
What are some of the big changes you want to see in iOS 9?

With Apple Pay and iWatch probably being the big changes to iOS 8 what are you looking for in iOS 9?

Multi user and Split Screen seem to be the two top contenders but what other big changes could Apple make to bring a big shift in iOS?

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
"Turn off work" mode where you can disable you corporate mail, calendar, etc while on vacation so it doesn't alert you for new events. Currently, I go into mail and manually turn it off for each type of element like mail, calendar, etc.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I want the iOS6 Look & Feel back so that I can buy a new iPhone and upgrade and 3 iPads with all the new functions of iOS 7 and 8. I'd rather eat Arafat's putrefied shorts than suffer the hurt J. Ives has released upon this world.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
-System wide "Dark Mode" for us cave dwellers who like everything dark.

- Lockscreen Landscape mode for iphone 6+ (notifications only come in portrait mode)

- Some kind of Finder app to manage iCloud drive. Maybe give users access to the /user/documents path locally on the phone.

- Ability to place icons anywhere on the screen and not be forced to follow the row by row placement. (similar to Gridlock for Jailbroken phones).

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
App Switcher without having to double tap the home button!
Closing the app could then also be done without.
(Apple are you reading?).

It is so annoying to have to double tap the home button for that. It is from my perspective always the first thing to wear out.

And working iCloud services. Since mobile me or maybe even before that Apple doesn't seem to get the hang of it. I know, a LOT of people are connected. A LOT of machines too at the same time. So it isn't that simple. But for me it doesn't work properly, so I hope a fix will be welcome sooner than later.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
-System wide "Dark Mode" for us cave dwellers who like everything dark.

- Lockscreen Landscape mode for iphone 6+ (notifications only come in portrait mode)

- Some kind of Finder app to manage iCloud drive. Maybe give users access to the /user/documents path locally on the phone.

- Ability to place icons anywhere on the screen and not be forced to follow the row by row placement. (similar to Gridlock for Jailbroken phones).

Question, do people really like the dark mode?
Whenever I have a dark UI, I change that back to light straight away. Dark mode seems to be burning on my retina when I close the app or look away from it. The same with dark websites and white text.

I like the idea of being able to place the icons in a grid on the screen but not in the order from left to right and top to bottom.
I would like to start at the bottom for better reachability. If devs would start develop apps like that as well, buttons at the bottom. The reachability thing on the 6(+) wasn't even necessary. I don't have a 6(+). But I would like this feature or given solution above on my iPhone.

Now all apps are in a few folders and I use spotlight to start an app. Less reaching.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
iCloud Drive that actually has access to ALL files. Complete with folder-in-folder and the possibility to mix different file extensions in one folder like you can in OS X. Mail with attachments, it is 2014 Apple! Maybe splitscreen functionality for displaying multiple applications simultaneously on the iPad.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
- release NFC sdk
- search within settings
- dark mode (as mentioned)
- give us an app similar to the launcher app (that got pulled)
- up next in music

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
App Switcher without having to double tap the home button!
Closing the app could then also be done without.
(Apple are you reading?).

It is so annoying to have to double tap the home button for that. It is from my perspective always the first thing to wear out.

And working iCloud services. Since mobile me or maybe even before that Apple doesn't seem to get the hang of it. I know, a LOT of people are connected. A LOT of machines too at the same time. So it isn't that simple. But for me it doesn't work properly, so I hope a fix will be welcome sooner than later.

Agreed, the 6+ at least has the screen size for the same multitouch gestures of the iPad. I would love to see this on the phone.

Though if you want to, you can enable Assistive touch to avoid physically pressing the home button. Go to settings > general > accessibility > AssistiveTouch and turn it on.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
iOS 8 that has the bugs removed. That would do me. And split screen apps on all iPads would be good too.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I have a small list it is mostly what other have said they want.

-Optimization Optimization Optimization Lean and Clean before all else
-unlock NFC for development
-better widget handling either on the screen or in the tray.
I like we got widgets but i find after a very few i am scrolling and i could have just opened the app faster.
-Unified messaging app like ichat on OS X that works at the core level and replaces apps like im+ and beejive so that i use less power to get the same job done (note it was talked about all the way back in iOS 6 that such a thing existed but was not released. It used the push backgrounder to do the job)
-ability to change what i control from the control center.
-better integration of apps beyond what we currently have. I want to replace default apps if i choose
-New Music app that integrates beats and iTunes radio and my music in a leaner faster package(I have issues currently with album art the frame rate is so slow and choppy)
-Functionality from lock screen not just text reply and emails.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Apple to listen to customers issues and actually do something about them.

Yeah, sorry I knew I was asking for too much.

----------

Oh and world peace

----------

And sharks with frikin laser beams.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
iCloud file system and app. Save email attachments (for example) directly to iCloud from your iDevice (iPhone or iPad) open them anywhere (Mac/iPhone/iPad). A file system in the cloud instead of on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.