Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Folder in folders.

Ability to uninstall or at least hide unwanted stock apps.

System wide don't changes.

Themes.

Ability I decide what controls I have in 'control' centre.

Remove folder and app names.

Invisible dock option.

Option to kill all background apps at once.

Proper Bluetooth file transfer

Ability to make any song your ringtone

Option to change icon size

Date in the task bar

Failing all that. A quick release of the jailbreak so I can install all of that thanks to Cydia tweaks.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
- "Widget" section separate from "Today" in Notification Center
- Customizable actions in Control Center
- Less freakin' annoying bugs like rotation glitches and keyboard freezes
- Split screen multitasking on iPad
- Weather and Calculator on iPad (even if just a more functional widget)
- More detailed controls over transparency
- Quit all background apps at once
- More control over home screens (Don't force apps into a left-right, up-down grid)
- iCloud Drive app
- Ability to hide unused default apps

Edit: lasers

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
My iOS 9 Wishlist

- All of the default system widgets from OS X

- Multitasking Gestures (iPhone 6 Plus and newer)

- Themes (Circular icons like Apple Watch)

- More Dynamic Wallpapers

- Speed Improvements on all iDevices with 1GB of RAM

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Speed optimisations
Stability
iPad 2 support ;)
Up next and other improvements to movies.
iPhoto
iCloud drive to be the standard iCloud view in documents
Download to iCloud Drive
Upload from iCloud Drive
Guest Mode
split screen multitasking
location based settings - EG turn wifi on and off automatically based on where i am, location based do not disturb.
Open settings from control centre.
Customisable control centre.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
My biggest one is to allow me to watch some of my Apple TV content on my iPad. An app like Sky News would be great to be able to watch away from the TV.

Better handling of widgets. I like being able to see some quick info without going into full apps but I wish it were maybe on the lock screen.

On the same vein, break up Today and Notifications. Maybe gesture down for Notifications and gesture right for Today?

Use some of the real estate on the homescreen for something else. The huge field of apps thing is getting old. I want information to come to me, not me going to it. Use this space for that.

Here's an easy one - port some of the iTunes only apps to iPad - stocks, weather, health, etc.

Last edited:

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Honestly? I want them to drop support for any A5 device, which is the iPad 2, iPod Touch, and original iPad mini. It's ridiculous they're still supporting (and requiring developers to support) a system made in 2011. If this were a computer, it would be no problem, as computers have power to spare. But iDevices don't, and having to support old hardware is holding iOS back.

Here's an easy one - port some of the iTunes only apps to iPad - stocks, weather, health, etc.

What? Most people want less stock apps, not more.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Split screen apps for larger ipads

Customized toggles for control center (cellular data, hotspot, privacy)

Settings shortcut for control center

Ultra power saving mode

Predictive Dialling

Speed dial

Access settings from spotlight

Long press control center shorcuts

Better data tracking - ability to change date, add data and wifi tracking

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Honestly? I want them to drop support for any A5 device, which is the iPad 2, iPod Touch, and original iPad mini. It's ridiculous they're still supporting (and requiring developers to support) a system made in 2011. If this were a computer, it would be no problem, as computers have power to spare. But iDevices don't, and having to support old hardware is holding iOS back.

What? Most people want less stock apps, not more.

Ummm... If anything old hardware should be grounding Apple from making a bloated system. They still sell the iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5, and A5 iPads have around 65% of the total iPad market share. The iPad 2 has 29 percent, the Mini 20 percent and the 3 has 17 Precent. Just because you've probably got the funds to upgrade your devices, it doesn't mean all of us do. I'd expect that in 9 months time when iOS 9 is released, for that number to be at least 50% of the iPad Market share, as they're still selling A5 Minis and people don't upgrade their iPads as much.

Apple has decided for whatever reason to keep A5 devices around so it has a the resposiblity of supporting them the best it can. Perhaps if Apple optimised iOS 9 to perform well on A5 and A6 devices, they could apply those optimisations to create a superior and faster system for the newer devices as well, instead of pointlessly bloating iOS.

Even then, if features can't run on A5 devices, just leave them out of the A5 build. In the past it used to be possible to hold onto an older device with an outdated iOS but now Apple and other app developers drop the old iOS super quick, so having a device with the latest iOS becomes essential to get app support.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Just optimize this goddam lagfest called iOS 8.

I can't believe I can run games of an insane caliber on a mobile device that jumps leaps and bounds in graphical performance every year, but I can't rotate the keyboard without lagging.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I can't believe I can run games of an insane caliber on a mobile device that jumps leaps and bounds in graphical performance every year, but I can't rotate the keyboard without lagging.

I've seen a lot of lagging with control centre, keyboard, app opening and spotlight even on iPhone 6's.. iOS 8 is very bloated!!

HotIce

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014

This. If I wanted a laggy OS, I'd get an Android. Played with the Note 4 and there was ZERO lag. No clue what's going on at Apple, but they need to get it together.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Themes.

Choose what toggles are in control center

"All Clear" button in notification center to clear all items

iCloud Drive application (like dropbox) to have access to all files from one location, add/edit/move/delete from that app

szman86

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
- Siri gets a lot smarter, oes what it should have done, even starts giving information before I ask for it
- Hey Siri without battery
- Multi-user login for ipad (families but also where anyone could login to someone else's ipad or macbook and their information is secure)
- split screen apps
- iOS / ipad apps on the mac (this is obviously going to happen sometime) - and then Apple will merge the app stores
- unlock mac / ipad with iphone / watch
- smarter smart phone, iOS awareness with API for developers based on what I'm doing, at home, at work, in car (driving), walking, near phone, away from phone, charging device, sleeping, predict my hunger level, etc. - based on time, location, user, proximity to watch, iphone ipad, macbook) these profiles could be built into apps and could change settings
- auto folders (work, home, most popular, least popular)
- social photos events (example if you're at a wedding and you want to see the photos taken by other people at the wedding) is there an app for this?
- some sort of private yet social network (I think they will very slowly do this starting with fitness or photos)
- Smart contacts, list of nearby friends, add contacts

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
- OS X Yosemite-esque design refresh
- All new redesigned Music app (on par with the iOS 6 version)
- New and improved Maps
- Individually updated stock apps (via the App Store and can also be deleted)
- Slightly thicker typeface
- Dark mode
- Social media widget in Notification Center
- Visual customizations (minor tweaks such as app colors, signal bars/dots, etc.)
- Better iPad optimization

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014

This.
+1

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
My head has been exploding with ideas :

GENERAL
- Multi-user on iPad
- A single-app that houses all the controls of automated devices (sort of like an app that houses standardized widgets to control your alarm system and whatnot)
- All the latest approved emojis
- The ability to remove stock apps, which comes with a list of default apps that come preinstalled with iOS and that I can re-install with a single tap (in Settings). It also needs to come with the possibility to update Apple apps like Safari without releasing a new iOS version as a whole.
- Widgets on the home screen, can take 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 tiles, as well as live 1x1 icons from 3rd-party developers.
- iCloud accounts come free with 20GB of data
- More stability

GUI
- Dark Mode
- Redesigned icons
- Every stock app, including the home screen, has a landscape mode.

APPLE PAY
- At this point I can only hope my phone can make my budget for me while we're at it

NEW APPS
- Photo Booth on iPhones and iPod Touches
- A distinct iCloud Drive application
- A Dictionary app like in OS X. Not just tap a word on a webpage and look it up.
- Passbook renamed to Wallet and redesigned from the ground up. Apple has a partnership with government instances to house all the official cards in Wallet.

MAPS
- Transit directions in Apple Maps
- Better data in Apple Maps, faster response to our problem reports

CAMERA
- Camera app redesigned from the ground up to support manual controls (in other words : don't just leave them as open APIs!)

MAIL
- The ability to add annotations to pictures, basically just port that feature from Yosemite into iOS

MUSIC
- Beats integrated
- The ability to construct music playlists with the same features as in iTunes.
- The ability to queue next songs
- The ability to customize the Music app to re-create, in some way, what we had in iOS 6 (the height of the rows, the size of the albums, ...), an "Artists > Albums > Songs" architecture instead of "Artist > Albums/Songs"

APIs & DEVS
- Open up the Siri APIs
- Port the Metal API to OS X and AppleTV for easy cross-platform game development
- Much faster App approvals (I'm a developer and this is without a single doubt my biggest gripe with the App Store)

Last edited:

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
the ability to move icons to whatever location along the icon grid.

ex. 4 icons bottom right corner and thats it... (not 4 in a line but 2x2)

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
BETTER REMINDERS!

-tighten up iOS 8, optimized
-really take on Google Maps, improve Apple Maps
-improved continuity of phone calls b/w iPhone and Mac
-multiple user accounts for mostly iPad but iPhone too
-split screen multi-tasking
-automatically extracting photos and videos from text message
-ability to actually do a reliable in place upgrade as opposed to a clean install would be cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.