Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
One of the commentators I heard was saying that by going first, the 49ers essentially gave the Chiefs 4 downs to get each first down.

Yeah. Arguments can be made for either choice.

Would rather see them go to the college system.

Reactions: Rafterman

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Maybe someone could explain why Chiefs had an advantage in overtime because of this rule? Ok, maybe if your Defense is tired, you’d want the ball first to allow you defense to rest up- is that the idea? But even under the old sudden death rules, you’d definitely want the ball first. 🤔

It's a strategic decision, and like many such decisions, there are arguments for both sides. It's not a black/white, or right/wrong type of decision.

But it's being portrayed that way because every postmortem for the losing team is going to get all sorts of hot takes. If the Chiefs had lost, sports talk radio and the media would be having the same kinds of debates about them, and the myriad what if's. And something like Kelce's sideline tiff with Reid wouldn't have been laughed off, but made into some sort of controversy. Winning has a way of drowning out all that stuff and making everyone look like a genius.

From what I've heard, some choose to defer because it allows the team to know exactly what it would take to win the game, and how far they'd need to go to do so. Four downs, two points, etc.

The "game film" analysts like Greg Cossell (not the loudmouths, or ex-players) usually have the most balanced views and deconstructions of games.

Ultimately, the players have to make the plays. As an example, going back a couple weeks, Detroit did not. If Josh Reynolds had caught that 4th down ball at the 28 yard line, which was very catchable, the conversation could have ended quite differently, and Campbell would be hailed as a gutsy genius.

In a tight game, where both teams played evenly, though not especially well, KC had the one X-factor player who came through when he needed to, and that was the difference.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's a strategic decision, and like many such decisions, there are arguments for both sides. It's not a black/white, or right/wrong type of decision.

But it's being portrayed that way because every postmortem for the losing team is going to get all sorts of hot takes. If the Chiefs had lost, sports talk radio and the media would be having the same kinds of debates about them, and the myriad what if's. And something like Kelce's sideline tiff with Reid wouldn't have been laughed off, but made into some sort of controversy. Winning has a way of drowning out all that stuff and making everyone look like a genius.

From what I've heard, some choose to defer because it allows the team to know exactly what it would take to win the game, and how far they'd need to go to do so. Four downs, two points, etc.

The "game film" analysts like Greg Cossell (not the loudmouths, or ex-players) usually have the most balanced views and deconstructions of games.

Ultimately, the players have to make the plays. As an example, going back a couple weeks, Detroit did not. If Josh Reynolds had caught that 4th down ball at the 28 yard line, which was very catchable, the conversation could have ended quite differently, and Campbell would be hailed as a gutsy genius.

In a tight game, where both teams played evenly, though not especially well, KC had the one X-factor player who came through when he needed to, and that was the difference.
Yep, the Wild Card. :D

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I’m not arguing, just discussing. :)
The new rules are better, ie not sudden death in the first 15min period of overtime, but sudden death in the second 15min period of overtime time. This negates the coin toss advantage of a chance win of the coin toss gives a particular team to get first possession, March down 75 yards and kick a field goal for the win. And A 15 min quarter, essentially gives both teams a chance to possess the ball.

Maybe someone could explain why Chiefs had an advantage in overtime because of this rule? Ok, maybe if your Defense is tired, you’d want the ball first to allow you defense to rest up- is that the idea? But even under the old sudden death rules, you’d definitely want the ball first. 🤔
Well even Andy Reid was quoted as saying you'd want the ball third... so that would mean you want the ball first... so maybe knowing the OT rules didn't make that big of a difference...?

Under the old rules I would want the ball first. For me, with the new rules, I'd think would be better to have it second.
It certainly didn't hurt the Chiefs.

Reactions: Don Quixote

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The annoying thing about this years superbowl is how much the media put their attention on Taylor Swift and her Kanas City Chiefs boyfriend. I wanted to see and read about the superbowl but all I kept seeing is pictures of Swift and her boyfriend. I am not in the US so my question is, what was it like in the US regarding those two? did the US media focus more on the actual superbowl or did they put too much focus on Swift and her boyfriend?.

Also, read this from a UK tabloid paper (online version) https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/super-bowl-chiefs-49ers-overtime-rules-b2495374.html

A 49's player admitting he did not know the new overtime rule. This from the article
“I didn’t even know about the new playoff overtime rule, so it was a surprise to me,” 49ers defensive lineman Arik Armstead said.

Sunday’s game fielded new overtime rules that meant both teams were granted possession of the ball in overtime, something which several of the 49ers players were unaware of after scoring a field goal on the first overtime possession.

“They put it on the scoreboard, and everyone was like, ‘Oh, even if you score, they get a chance still’,” Armstead added.

So it would seem many of you were right when you said the 49's (some of them anyway) didn't know the new overtime rules.

Reactions: Don Quixote

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
The annoying thing about this years superbowl is how much the media put their attention on Taylor Swift and her Kanas City Chiefs boyfriend. I wanted to see and read about the superbowl but all I kept seeing is pictures of Swift and her boyfriend. I am not in the US so my question is, what was it like in the US regarding those two? did the US media focus more on the actual superbowl or did they put too much focus on Swift and her boyfriend?.

Also, read this from a UK tabloid paper (online version) https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/super-bowl-chiefs-49ers-overtime-rules-b2495374.html

A 49's player admitting he did not know the new overtime rule. This from the article

So it would seem many of you were right when you said the 49's (some of them anyway) didn't know the new overtime rules.
And under the old rules only a TD ended the game on the first possession ... right?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Winning cures all ills.

Meanwhile the losers will have every decision/choice/fault put under a microscope and dissected to the nth degree.

Reactions: TheIntruder

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
One of the commentators I heard was saying that by going first, the 49ers essentially gave the Chiefs 4 downs to get each first down.

The new rules puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense that gets on the field second..... if the first team to possess scores then the second team pretty much has all the time in the world to answer... I mean they might as well turn off the game clock at that point.... the defense will have to stop them on downs, so they essentially have 4 downs every time without having to worry about the clock...... That's why the chiefs were taking their sweet time and running their regular offense even as time was running out and some folks who weren't familiar with the rule were freaking out..... Until Romo cleared things up and said that the clock would just start over on a new overtime period and they would continue the drive.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

While there was a lot of coverage on Swift over here in the U.S. Superbowl week was business as usual, there was a lot of coverage on the teams and the game itself. As with every superbowl week though there are going to be a lot of silly non-football stories and it just so happens that this year Taylor and Kelce's relationship dominated those..... I personally stopped watching pre-game shows and weekly sports shows a long time ago... I am the type that just wants to turn my tv on as the game is kicking off so it didn't really bother me much.

That being said I DO NOT want the chiefs in the SB again next year... FFS there has to be a team that can eliminate these guys in the playoffs. there is so much talent in the AFC... someone please step up!!

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I personally stopped watching pre-game shows and weekly sports shows a long time ago... I am the type that just wants to turn my tv on as the game is kicking off so it didn't really bother me much.
👍
I don't need or want to listen to 6 guys predicting what's going to happen when all I have to do is watch the game and find out. I record 99.9% of games that I watch and start after at least a 30 minute delay, so I can skip through the halftime "show" and just get back to the game. (works for basketball and soccer too)

Reactions: bigjnyc

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
Yesterday, I kept hearing on the news (over and over) that the SB had the biggest attendance (Not sure if it was in-person only or counting watching on tv) ever and was that because of Taylor Swift? She and Kelce are making a killing...I wish it would run its course already. (then there were the Swiftys on X warning Taylor that Kelce was a "red flag" because of his SECOND melt-down on the field and his taking his temper tantrum out on Andy Reid.) Oh, boy.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Yesterday, I kept hearing on the news (over and over) that the SB had the biggest attendance (Not sure if it was in-person only or counting watching on tv) ever and was that because of Taylor Swift? She and Kelce are making a killing...I wish it would run its course already. (then there were the Swiftys on X warning Taylor that Kelce was a "red flag" because of his SECOND melt-down on the field and his taking his temper tantrum out on Andy Reid.) Oh, boy.

It was the most watched on tv... Attendance-wise every superbowl sells out so the only way they break that is when a bigger stadium with more capacity is built.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

The game itself was fine, nothing crazy with the Swift/Kelce coverage. But like you said, the media obsession before and after is just ridiculous. Using Flipboard, and 1/3 of the articles seemed to be about Swift/Kelce.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
The game itself was fine, nothing crazy with the Swift/Kelce coverage. But like you said, the media obsession before and after is just ridiculous. Using Flipboard, and 1/3 of the articles seemed to be about Swift/Kelce.

She was on screen for 54 seconds. Big whoop. Watched dumb commercials for longer than that.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Well even Andy Reid was quoted as saying you'd want the ball third... so that would mean you want the ball first... so maybe knowing the OT rules didn't make that big of a difference...?

Under the old rules I would want the ball first. For me, with the new rules, I'd think would be better to have it second.
It certainly didn't hurt the Chiefs.

Shanahan is the one who said he wanted it third. And he delegated the responsibility of informing the players about the new OT rules to the assistants. Purdy said his coach made sure he knew, but others seemingly did not.

(In any case, SF's DC won't be around to teach, or not teach those lessons; he's gone)

But again, coaches are there to develop players, and put them in the best positions to execute, and win. What are Nick Saban's three favorite words, in teaching young, raw, and impressionable players? "Do Your Job."

Coaches don't play the game, or make the split second decisions on the field.

The overtime call might not have been required for SF if their returner made the decision to pounce on the ball, instead of trying to scoop it up, failing, and allowing KC an easy short-field touchdown. Teams practice those fire drill scenarios, and players are supposed to call out and make sure everyone knows what the desired (safe) action is.

Or during OT, the OLineman didn't make the split second decision to not block Jones (a missed assignment, according to the players), and allow him to rush in unimpeded and force Purdy into a hurried, premature throw to the right side of the end zone. Three points instead of seven.

Ultimately, all of that added up, and determined the course of the game. People make mistakes. And games are decided by the play on the field, not the talking heads before, or after.

And, to end on a rhetorical question -- if people are so bothered by Swift, why do they keep talking about her, and bring her up instead talking about the game? She's not the Hypnotoad, but might as well be.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Shanahan is the one who said he wanted it third. And he delegated the responsibility of informing the players about the new OT rules to the assistants. Purdy said his coach made sure he knew, but others seemingly did not.

(In any case, SF's DC won't be around to teach, or not teach those lessons; he's gone)

But again, coaches are there to develop players, and put them in the best positions to execute, and win. What are Nick Saban's three favorite words, in teaching young, raw, and impressionable players? "Do Your Job."

The overtime call might not have been required for SF if their returner made the decision to pounce on the ball, instead of trying to scoop it up, failing, and allowing KC an easy short-field touchdown. Teams practice those fire drill scenarios, and players are supposed to call out and make sure everyone knows what the desired (safe) action is.

Or during OT, the OLineman didn't make the split second decision to not block Jones (a missed assignment, according to the players), and allow him to rush in unimpeded and force Purdy into a hurried, premature throw to the right side of the end zone. Three points instead of seven.

And, to end on a rhetorical question -- if people are so bothered by Swift, why do they keep talking about her, and bring her up instead talking about the game? She's not the Hypnotoad, but might as well be.
hmmp

I thought someone on here quoted Coach Reid, other than @pachyderm, as saying it too... oh well, good shout!

I've been saying the same thing!

100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.