Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I think ultimately it was that punt by the chiefs that was touched by a Niners player, leading to a recovery by the Chiefs and ultimately to a TD. That's 7 points. During a punt, stay away from the damn ball, don't touch it. That was a stupid mistake, that cost them the game.

Agreed. That was the mistake that turned the game on its head.

Second on the mistake list was the offensive holding penalty in OT by the backup tight end who had to play because Kittle went out injured. Without that, they probably score the touchdown they needed to keep the game going, since everyone knew Mahomes wouldn't be stopped.

Kyle Shanahan is now what Andy Reid used to be: a coach with a great reputation who couldn't win the big one. Hopefully get finds redemption like Reid eventually did.

If the 49ers want to win a Super Bowl, they need to improve their offensive line. The Chiefs defense was pretty great last night, but Purdy could've done so much more with an addition second or two of pass protection on a few key plays — Chris Jones in particular saved a couple of 49ers touchdowns with his pressure.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Niners had chances to win that game… the blocked extra point was huge, and they had some shots at the end zone in the beginning of OT. But in the end I think it was Mahomes and good coaching that tired out the Niners defence who couldn’t get a stop in OT.
Mahomes, highly talented, is the huge wild card for any opponents facing the Chiefs. Yes, he is fed plays, but he executes and reacts on the fly and it can argued at this point in time, he is the best, at a minimum at the top of this field, as far as this ability. Not to imply there is no one else that can do what he does… 🤔

Reactions: Don Quixote

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A few hours later... damn that was a good game, the best we've seen in a long time.

Bummer the Niners lost, they deserved it. It makes me wonder what they have to do to win a SB. They've been close the past couple of years, but door is closing. They finally found their QB with Purdy, but he has a rookie contract and is cheap only for another year. After that, they'll have to pay up which might hurt other players. They need to win next year.

So what went wrong... both teams made mistakes, no question.
But I don't think it was the fumble in the first drive. I don't think it was the blocked PAT, which made it possible for the Chiefs to go into OT. I'm not sure if the Niners screwed that up or the Chiefs did a great job blocking it. Purdy could maybe have passed the ball to a player in the last OT drive for a TD instead of a FG, which would have led to another OT. I think ultimately it was that punt by the chiefs that was touched by a Niners player, leading to a recovery by the Chiefs and ultimately to a TD. That's 7 points. During a punt, stay away from the damn ball, don't touch it. That was a stupid mistake, that cost them the game.

They just need to keep that team together, fix those little mistakes and come back next year. So, next SB... Niners vs Chiefs again, only for the Niners to win... hopefully.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the NHL playoffs and watch the Oilers win the cup this year (hopefully).
Absolutely, the single event that arguably lost the game was the botched punt return.

Reactions: Silencio

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
A few hours later... damn that was a good game, the best we've seen in a long time.

Bummer the Niners lost, they deserved it. It makes me wonder what they have to do to win a SB. They've been close the past couple of years, but door is closing. They finally found their QB with Purdy, but he has a rookie contract and is cheap only for another year. After that, they'll have to pay up which might hurt other players. They need to win next year.

So what went wrong... both teams made mistakes, no question.
But I don't think it was the fumble in the first drive. I don't think it was the blocked PAT, which made it possible for the Chiefs to go into OT. I'm not sure if the Niners screwed that up or the Chiefs did a great job blocking it. Purdy could maybe have passed the ball to a player in the last OT drive for a TD instead of a FG, which would have led to another OT. I think ultimately it was that punt by the chiefs that was touched by a Niners player, leading to a recovery by the Chiefs and ultimately to a TD. That's 7 points. During a punt, stay away from the damn ball, don't touch it. That was a stupid mistake, that cost them the game.

They just need to keep that team together, fix those little mistakes and come back next year. So, next SB... Niners vs Chiefs again, only for the Niners to win... hopefully.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the NHL playoffs and watch the Oilers win the cup this year (hopefully).
the 49er/McCaffery fumble and the unfortunate punt turnover. I felt bad for that one dude. He literally got blocked into hitting the ball... ugh.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
With the new Super Bowl OT rules, it was crazy to take the ball first. If you take the ball first, and they stop you, then the other team only needs a FG to win. Now, the best strategy is to go on D first and even if they score a TD, you still get a chance to score yourself.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I wasn't planning on it but for some strange reason my teenage daughter wants to have a bunch of her friends over for the gam. She hasn't been interested in football until the last couple of weeks. Not sure what's going on with that.

The last time I went to a SB party with a bunch of teens was the 2010 game.

All these teens wanted to know why the halftime band was playing all the CSI theme songs. :oops:🤣

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Greenlaw out with achilles injury… while jogging onto the field. What a freak injury.
lol

He wasn't jogging. He tried to go into a full sprint.

I called it a soon as I saw him drop. My son said, "what?"

I repeated myself. "He just tore his Achilles.." ...

I don't wish that type of thing on anyone but he really was trying my patience with his celebrations after every tackle he made early on.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Niners had chances to win that game… the blocked extra point was huge, and they had some shots at the end zone in the beginning of OT. But in the end I think it was Mahomes and good coaching that tired out the Niners defence who couldn’t get a stop in OT.
Throw in some really crappy passes from Purdy... Several balls that simply looked ... Honestly they were so bad I don't know what they looked like. Only one that I can think of was tipped at the line of scrimmage...

And, again, the Chiefs knew the new OT rules and the 49ers didn't... That made a difference.

Oh well.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Throw in some really crappy passes from Purdy... Several balls that simply looked ... Honestly they were so bad I don't know what they looked like. Only one that I can think of was tipped at the line of scrimmage...

And, again, the Chiefs knew the new OT rules and the 49ers didn't... That made a difference.

Oh well.

They also had no answer for Chris Jones. That OT FG would have been a TD, if Jones hadn't wrecked the play.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
With the new Super Bowl OT rules, it was crazy to take the ball first. If you take the ball first, and they stop you, then the other team only needs a FG to win. Now, the best strategy is to go on D first and even if they score a TD, you still get a chance to score yourself.
I saw a quote from Andy Reid saying the best strategy is to have the ball third. So if you win the coin toss, take the ball. His reason was that, after your score, if the other team scores and ties the game, now you have the ball, and any score wins.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I saw a quote from Andy Reid saying the best strategy is to have the ball third. So if you win the coin toss, take the ball. His reason was that, after your score, if the other team scores and ties the game, now you have the ball, and any score wins.
Unless, of course, the first team settles for a field goal and the second gets a touchdown. 🏈

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
i dont understand how one team knows the new OT rules an another doesn't, thats poor coaching every team should know the OT rules its part of the game

Not sure the players need to know the specific rules. The only difference is that both teams get the ball regardless unlike in the regular season.

It's a tough call to either pick to be on offense or defense. I understand that if you go on defense first, you then know what you have to do. But I also understand why Shanahan wanted to be on offense - his defense was tired, they both were. So if both teams score on their possession, the other defense has to go back on the field again to stop you from winning.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Oh well.

How could they not know this? I find that inexcusable as it makes (MADE) a huge difference on their choices about the game overall.
I’m not arguing, just discussing. :)
The new rules are better, ie not sudden death in the first 15min period of overtime, but sudden death in the second 15min period of overtime time. This negates the coin toss advantage of a chance win of the coin toss gives a particular team to get first possession, March down 75 yards and kick a field goal for the win. And A 15 min quarter, essentially gives both teams a chance to possess the ball.

Maybe someone could explain why Chiefs had an advantage in overtime because of this rule? Ok, maybe if your Defense is tired, you’d want the ball first to allow you defense to rest up- is that the idea? But even under the old sudden death rules, you’d definitely want the ball first. 🤔

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.