Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So… will the Chiefs be back in the second half running over the Niners? Adjusting the game plan after the first half when pretty much nothing worked is where the Patriots excelled. Chiefs can do it too. Hopefully the Niners have an answer. Also, Kelce… 1 catch for 1 yard. :eek:

And then there’s poor Andy Reid

Second time Kelce has lost his ---- when things weren't going his way.

Reactions: rhett7660

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Game of defenses on top, expecting a low-scoring second half. Thought the halftime show was ok, as usual it was more about dancing and showmanship than music. I’m not a great fan of the format.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Second time Kelce has lost his ---- when things weren't going his way.
I think he knows his time is over. He’s 34 and playing TE. Another ok year, maybe two then that’s it.

Niners special teams… ugh. Lost the ball to he Chiefs for a TD, then a blocked extra point. Defense needs to hold now and then another TD.

Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think he knows his time is over. He’s 34 and playing TE. Another ok year, maybe two then that’s it.

Niners special teams… ugh. Lost the ball to he Chiefs for a TD, then a blocked extra point. Defense needs to hold now and then another TD.

Word is, he wants a movie career, like The Rock.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
And that’s why you never bet against the Chiefs. I feel really sorry for the Niners, especially Purdy and Kittle. Their special teams blew it.

On the other hand, the Chiefs showed they can win games when it matters. Pressure is on now though, if they can defeat the title again next year, that would be three titles in three years, the first time in history.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Holy Crap. I was rooting for KC, not just because they’ve won in the past but because I have a family connection with one of the players on the field. When this game started, the 49ers looked very tough, but it worked out in the end. :)

Reactions: pachyderm

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
The Niners had chances to win that game… the blocked extra point was huge, and they had some shots at the end zone in the beginning of OT. But in the end I think it was Mahomes and good coaching that tired out the Niners defence who couldn’t get a stop in OT.

Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Greenlaw out with achilles injury… while jogging onto the field. What a freak injury.
As a Jets fan this gave me PTSD from Rodgers week 1... It seems like one minute he was jogging out on the field with the flag and I blinked and he was being carried off with a popped achilles.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
A few hours later... damn that was a good game, the best we've seen in a long time.

Bummer the Niners lost, they deserved it. It makes me wonder what they have to do to win a SB. They've been close the past couple of years, but door is closing. They finally found their QB with Purdy, but he has a rookie contract and is cheap only for another year. After that, they'll have to pay up which might hurt other players. They need to win next year.

So what went wrong... both teams made mistakes, no question.
But I don't think it was the fumble in the first drive. I don't think it was the blocked PAT, which made it possible for the Chiefs to go into OT. I'm not sure if the Niners screwed that up or the Chiefs did a great job blocking it. Purdy could maybe have passed the ball to a player in the last OT drive for a TD instead of a FG, which would have led to another OT. I think ultimately it was that punt by the chiefs that was touched by a Niners player, leading to a recovery by the Chiefs and ultimately to a TD. That's 7 points. During a punt, stay away from the damn ball, don't touch it. That was a stupid mistake, that cost them the game.

They just need to keep that team together, fix those little mistakes and come back next year. So, next SB... Niners vs Chiefs again, only for the Niners to win... hopefully.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the NHL playoffs and watch the Oilers win the cup this year (hopefully).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.