Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Day 19

This is a day, I have waited three years for. Palworld has finally released, and now that it's in early access, I'm happy to say it delivered. It is good, like, stupidly good. In just 24 hours it not only sold over 2 million copies...

...but it has also become the top 10 most played game on Steam of all time, beating the records of GTA5, Monster Hunter World, Destiny 2, Call of Duty Warzone, and Apex Legends. That is not an easy bar to cross.

And best of all, it's causing the Pokemon fanatics to cope, seethe, and mald hard.

Before I get to the game highlight, some context is in order:

In 2019 was the "hype season" of Pokemon Sword and Shield, the first major mainline Pokemon games on a home console, and not just any home console, the smash hit Nintendo Switch. There was a lot of hype for this as this was our big dream, the first Pokemon mainline RPG on a home console.

And then E3 happened

dappledgrove4.jpg

And then Gamefreak announced going forward, the future Pokemon games would no longer have every Pokemon ever in them, a thing that used to be the series' stable since generation 3 on the Game Boy Advance. The discourse this caused, was enormous. It was the most toxic time to be a Nintendo fan ever. What made it worse was any legitimate criticism was getting buried by Pokemon fanboys, and a lot of them would take it a step further and draw targeted harassment on any critics...including me

And for what? A bastardized franchise that has become a joke by modern standards that has LESS content than the games that released on the Game Boys and DS, but for $20 more

View attachment 2339143

And despite the game being an objective dumpster fire...it still sold 26 million copies. Those same fanboys then used the sales numbers as even more ammo to silence criticism. Sword and Shield's release essentially sealed the franchise's fate as a sales juggernaut that will never improve because it will still sell boatloads no matter how bad it is, as evident from how Scarlet and Violet runs like complete ass.

View attachment 2339142

But then something happened in 2021. A small indie team in Japan called PocketPair announced a new game called Palworld. From the trailer, it was Pokemon, but with guns? AND SLAVE LABOR?! WHAT IS THIS?! Pokemon fanatics were raging, seeing the mere idea of this game with Pokemon lookalikes and violence, absolutely absurd! That trailer gave many hope of an alternative to Pokemon at last. Many games have tried to be that "Pokemon killer" like TemTem or Cassette Beasts, and they all failed one way or another, so there wasn't a lot of hope for Palworld

But then...every now and again, a miracle happens. Palworld launched in early access on Steam and Xbox Series X/S through the Xbox Game Preview program and Xbox Game Pass. And what was originally thought to be a shameless Pokemon clones but with guns and edgy humor, turned out to be actually really good.

So to see the shoe on the other foot and those same Pokemon fanatics who harassed me four years ago now malding over Palworld's overnight success, it's honestly just desserts.

crying_ash.jpg

Now, what makes Palworld so great that it's breaking records? Well I'll tell you

Palworld​

To describe Palworld briefly, it's an amalgamation of Pokemon Legends Arceus and Ark Survival Evolved. You are dropped in the mysterious Palworld with nothing, told only to find and go to the towers. From here, you must now explore, capture, hunt, and build. First you get some wood and stone to make some basic tools to be able to cut some trees and mine some stone to get some Palium, a mysterious resource used to create Pal Spheres. These are how you capture Pals. Just like in Pokemon you gotta weaken the Pal to make it easier to catch, but of course you don't start with any Pals unlike in Pokemon. So how are you supposed to weaken a Pal?

Oh that's easy. Just beat the crap out of it

GEQsztmWUAAKUis

Once it's weak enough throw a Pal Sphere. Just be careful not to beat it so hard that you kill the Pal. But if you do accidently kill a Pal, don't sweat it, there's plenty more. That dead Pal becomes food for yourself and other Pals

So aside from having a party of Pals for fighting, Pals are primarily used for camp labor. And this is where Palworld really shines. Not from the fact you have guns and can kill and do other inhumane acts that will probably get me tried in the Hague, but the Pals themselves. A big problem of survival crafting games has always been the tedium of them. You have to go chop down trees to get more wood, mine more, maintain a farm, maintain your bases, and of course craft all your gear constantly. In Palworld, that tedium is gone as the Pals can do all the boring work for you, leaving you to focus more on the fun side of survival crafting games: exploring and committing war crimes! Remember: War crimes rhyme with fun times

Here's an example from my first two hours of playtime. I was crafting a dozen Pal Spheres to go out hunting for slaves, I mean employees 😉 and crafting a Pal Sphere takes 15 seconds each. As I was crafting though, one of my Pals ran over to my crafting table and helped me craft these, greatly cutting back on the crafting time. The dozen Pal Spheres were finished in less than 30 seconds as a result. After I finished that, the two Pals I had so far began going to nearby rocks and destroying them to harvest stone and Palium, and then carried said resources to some chests I made and automatically put them in and organized them

GEQtYtwWwAAjX-V

The labor in a survival crafting game is greatly reduced, and seeing all your Pals doing all the heavy lifting in an organized matter is a level of euphoria that only the strongest, most refined crack cocaine can emulate. Sound familiar? Because that's the same kind of automation satisfation and addiction that got Factorio it's overwhelming success and infamy.

And of course you gotta take care of your Pals, having food management for them and making sure they get rest so they don't work themselves to death...or not. I mean if you want a sweatshop of Pals that work themselves to death, you can. PocketPair just made a big open world filled with human factions, Pals, and various weapons and just lets you do whatever you want with it, no matter how horrible and inhumane that may be

You can capture humans too...

Even in it's early access state, the game is absolutely loaded and worth a buy right now. I'm also pleased to say it works perfectly through GPTK as Andrew Tsai tested so Mac users rejoice! You too can become a Palworld war criminal!

I look forward to whatever future updates come of Palworld
I don’t have a direct link to this Palworld Steam review but placed the text of it it at the end of this post and was wonderin what you think about it (under a spoiler tag to condense it):

Post in thread 'What Game You Play'n?'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-game-you-playn.1693452/post-32893635

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 28 (working from home edition)

Well I finally started Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice on my Deck. For playing this game headphones are recommended so I paired my AirPods Max to my Deck, and wow. The stereo sound of my Maxes with the game is incredible.

Hellblade is the journey of the Celtic warrior Senua traveling to Helheim to search for the soul of her dead lover. Combat gameplay is kinda mid, but what sets Hellblade apart is how it handles the Unreal Engine. The tricks they do with the engine are incredible. There's a reason the game recommends headphones, because Senua suffers from psychosis. She hears voices in her head, and you enter the game as another voice in her head. You hear all her chaotic thoughts throughout the game as you play, and the voices are amazing through the AirPods Max.

I also got Call of Duty Black Ops 3 setup on the Steam Deck and played a round of Shi No Numa on it to test. Got to round 13 before I called it on the test. Shame too because I had a good setup getting the Ray Gun Mk2 from the box, but like...it's Shi No Numa. I played this map to death 13 years ago, and it's starved for tools since there's no Pack a Punch on it. Yeah there's Gobblegums but like I'm not wasting my Megas right now lol

Say hello to our homie Peter McCain

latest

Reactions: Queen6

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 29

Would you believe me if I ever told you I never played Total War before? Never played a single game in the franchise...until now

I had Total War Shogun 2 for years and I heard such great things about it so I finally gave it a go. It's criminal that we don't have more games set during Japanese history. It's a setting hardly touched on but rich with possibilities. Just look at Ghost of Tsushima and how much people loved it, fending off the invading Mongols.

Reactions: Irishman and Queen6

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 30

I didn't really play anything today as my pain is flaring up. Tramadol can only do so much.

So instead of playing something, I watched Lythero playing Lethal Company

Warning: Prepare for two hours of comedy

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League released this day, but to be perfectly honest I completely forgot it did, and there is no way in hell I'm playing that garbage, and I see many others agree as it's getting destroyed. Why the hell is it an always online live service? It's as if Warner Bros doesn't want people playing it as aside from how absolutely unappealing it looks, they released it inbetween Like a Dragon 8: Infinite Wealth, and Persona 3 Reload.

And to pour more salt in the wound, Palworld is still at the top of the Steam Global Top Sellers. This game was dead on arrival the moment it was announced and they ignored all the criticism.

This does bring up a good discussion. "AAA" developers are severely out of touch of what people want.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 31

Played Hearthstone but man...I really do not want to play Hearthstone for a while. This meta really sucks. Druid and Paladin are crushing everyone and Blizzard's nerfs ain't fixing anything. Meanwhile my favorite class Death Knight is currently bottom of the meta. God I cannot wait for new year set rotation.

The pain is getting worse. I'm getting random pain spikes in my foot. At least we're now officially one month past the challenge. For most their challenges end here, but no not me. I'm in it for the whole year.

Looking back After the two weeks of troubleshooting, the first month went well. Things will be better once my foot starts healing, especially since this month Foamstars is releasing and I've been looking forward to that.

Reactions: Irishman

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Man I forgot about this thread
But Windows 11 is the most sucky thing ever so I didn't game on it..
Anyways, did some spring cleaning on my tab S9 fe plus so bye bye Fortnite, I won't miss you
Other than that I played some spiderman 1 on the PS4, and that's it
(Octavius is the equivalent of the toxic gossip train for me, change my mind)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 32

Just a tiny bit of Hearthstone. It's a small post today because yesterday I was in absolute agony as pain flared up from my foot really bad. The bones in my toes hurt like hell

I need some funny gaming moments, to help take my mind off the pain

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 33-35

I haven't posted in days, because I barely played anything. Couldn't think of anything but pain management. It got

The pain has reduced to just spikes of pain where the titanium wedge is that last 10 seconds, but when they hit, oh god do they hit and hurt like hell. But during this weekend as I was trying to manage pain, I wanted to see if there were any games I could just let run in the background

And that's when I discovered...Adventure Capitalist...

ss_3a909d12bd6c69ba29575fc8310314729be8bc89.1920x1080.jpg

I have made a horrible mistake. I need help. I mean yeah it's really gonna boost my macOS playtime numbers but...is it really worth it?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 36

Steam Next Fest started which means it's time to try out some demos. I have downloaded a bunch of demos on my Macbook Pro and Steam Deck and I will try them out

First up is a conveyor belt automation puzzle game called Shapez2 which has a Mac and Linux version

The game is marked as early access though, and it runs terribly on Mac too despite looking like it released in 2005. What the hell? Though after 15 minutes I got bored very quickly and quit. Guess I'm stuck with Factorio and Satisfactory for conveyor belt dopamine

Next was Furnish Master with is also on Mac, and also has a Linux version.

This one is about arranging furniture annnnnnnnd I was able to softlock the tutorial by zooming in before the tutorial prompts started...and there's no pause menu. NEXT

Okay...maybe third time's the charm? Well in this case it is, I found an interesting internet sleuthing game called CyberManhunt New World, also on Mac

You are a generative AI made by the tech megacorporation Titan and you are tasked with investigating people using their internet habits, with an interactive story depending on your choices.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 6.03.18 PM.png

20240205181809_1.jpg

20240205181708_1.jpg

If anything the game serves as a warning of cybersecurity and why you really should not post literally everything about you on the internet, something it seems most have forgotten in the age of the iPhone.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
If anything the game serves as a warning of cybersecurity and why you really should not post literally everything about you on the internet, something it seems most have forgotten in the age of the iPhone.
I’m old enough to remember when that was drilled into our heads back in the day.

Somehow “never share your identity and never believe what you see on the internet” became “send inappropriate pictures of yourself to a creepy discord mod, and everything said on Facebook about satanic pedophile cults is gospel.”

Reactions: bousozoku

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I’m old enough to remember when that was drilled into our heads back in the day.

Somehow “never share your identity and never believe what you see on the internet” became “send inappropriate pictures of yourself to a creepy discord mod, and everything said on Facebook about satanic pedophile cults is gospel.”

Why do you think I keep saying the iPhone ruined a generation of computer users? Apple gaslit people into thinking downloading software outside of an app store is 100% not safe and made people lazy thinking Apple will protect them.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Why do you think I keep saying the iPhone ruined a generation of computer users? Apple gaslit people into thinking downloading software outside of an app store is 100% not safe and made people lazy thinking Apple will protect them.
I think you’re off base there. If anything it was Facebook or Instagram normalizing sharing all of your personal information (probably encouraged by Facebook for data harvesting).

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 37

This next demo might be one of the big winners of this Steam Next Fest, a game that has caught my eye from it's art, and a game I have dreamt of since college

I give you...

MULLET MAD JACK​

capsule_616x353.jpg

This is a fast paced roguelike FPS, styled after classic late 80s action anime OVAs. The game even calls itself an "OVA FPS." In a cyberpunk world, humans and the internet merged into a new being. This being is dependent on dopamine, so much so they now require dopamine to live. Your character was driving along the highway when the megacorporation PEACE CORP selects you to become their next "moderator" for their big dopamine livestream, tasked with saving the princess:

the-influencer-princess-from-mullet-mad-jack-2024-an-v0-awwdqzmwjcgb1.png

Your life is time. You have 15 seconds to live, (or 10 depending on what difficulty you're playing) and have to entertain your audience to get more life. Killing machines known as "ROBILLIONAIRES" gets you more time, as well as drinking princess brand soda.

Navigating randomized levels quickly, you rush, kill, and get to the end of the level for a break where you can select an upgrade

1-shop.gif

I beat the demo on my Steam Deck, and GOD DAMN IT SLAPS! You all gotta try it now. This is gonna become the next big indie hit.

Reactions: Queen6 and Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 38

Time for some more Next Fest demos

Next up is Bore Blasters

Deep Rock Galactic has really inspired more games about space dwarves, as here we have a 2D shooter where you're mining deep underground by just shooting the ground.

Next is Maniac

We all love causing mayhem in Grand Theft Auto right? Well here's a top down game all about causing GTA level mayhem. Cities are randomly generated and you gotta build up your mayhem as you cause it

One last demo, and my favorite from the batch of this day: GT Manager 24

This is a Formula 1 hands off racing simulator, where you manage an F1 team and manage the races as they go. It honestly reminds me of Gran Turismo 4's B-Spec mode, AKA Director Mode. Director Mode was an alternative management/accessibility option in GT4, where instead of driving the car yourself an AI would drive it for you and you would manage the AI, giving it orders on the track. This game is essentially that, but more indepth and you're using F1 cars.

Just looking at the menus you can tell the game has a lot of inspiration of Gran Turismo, as your team HQ menu looks just like the main menu of Gran Turismo 7

GT Manager

ss_e81cd7c36fe78eb1a4fd67374e6d12d3c188f91b.1920x1080.jpg

GT7

gran_turismo_7_menu_book_1.jpg

Even the car menus scream Gran Turismo

GT-Manager-%E2%80%9824-garage-1024x576.jpg

Well this makes me happy as Gran Turismo was my favorite racing series (at least it was until GT Sport and 7 happened and started doing stupid stuff like an always online requirement for a $70 primarily single player game!)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 39 & 40

So...many...demos...

Next demo I have is News Tower, a business management game where you build and maintain a newspaper in 1930s New York.

ss_e904557eabd3cff5fd4fe32b1257ae9433a99eea.1920x1080.jpg

You build your newspaper HQ with little quiet offices for your editors to work in, and rooms with printing presses to make the papers and get them distributed. To make a newspaper you send reporters to go investigate stories.

ss_4329ee9a5b288de944b5c717d08b7fbfb9256b1a.1920x1080.jpg

Then their findings are reported back to your offices via telegram in which your editors will convert into articles, then you pick and choose what articles to run for that edition of the paper, tailored to your readers' preferences to maximize sales

A Mac version of the game is in the works and it releases in just a few days. This is definitely on my day one buy list as the time I spent playing the demo has been really enjoyable. I just wish it had controller support as playing it on Deck I have to use the trackpads to control the mouse as well as the touch screen.

This Steam Next Fest has also been host to a lot of new Metroidvanias. One such Metroidvania I played is called Never Grave.

You play as a witch bounded by a curse to her hat. Her and the hat are one essentially, and because of this she can leave her body and just become the hat to go through small areas then rematerialize her body. There's also roguelike elements to the game as the world is randomized and you grow stronger with each run.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 41

Spent the day grinding Hearthstone as I hit Diamond 5, and I now got 500 wins on Death Knight unlocking golden DK.

God this meta suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. The new year set rotation in May can't come fast enough

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 42

Alright Next Fest is pretty much over. Back to normal playing now that I've played the demos I wanted. Right now I'm waiting for News Tower to release so I can buy it day one and try out the Mac version. In the meantime, I've been feeling kinda...evil. If only there was a game where I could be a supervillain and plot world domination

Oh wait there is, and it's Deck Verified

Evil Genius 2: World Domination​

Evil-Genius-2-main.jpg

The Evil Genius franchise by Rebellion is a strategy/business management game where you're the bad guy, similarly to Bullfrog's Dungeon Keeper games. Only instead of running a fantasy dungeon full of traps to deal with smelly rotten heroes, you're a 60s spy supervillain plotting world domination and dealing with the annoying forces of good trying to stop you.

You start the game landing on your brand new abandoned private island resort with just a handful of minions, but with some work, cunning, and some murder, this abandoned island will become a grand evil lair. On the surface the island is a casino resort you can operate as a front and earn some extra revenue, but deep inside is your lair. You will build barracks and amenities for your minions, traps to deal with secret agents who infiltrate your lair, command centers to run criminal operations around the globe, laboratories to research new methods of evil, interrogation chambers to extract secrets from captured spies, and more. Be the villain you want to be. You can even execute minions in front of other minions to make examples and motivate them to work harder.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Coming in late, but considering my main gaming tower is a Fedora Linux box, and I have all the current consoles, this will be pretty easy challenge for me. There are a handful of games that work on Windows only, but I can live for the year.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
At the beginning Spaceboi says console is OK. So I'd assume it's not gaming on Windows. I have been assuming it's not anyways.

Yes that's right you can play anywhere except Windows. Everything else goes, including Mac and consoles.

My endgoal is I want my Steam Year in Review to show 0% playtime on Windows with only Mac and Linux being the listed OSs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.