Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
If the price goes up more than $100 I'm gonna keep my M1 12.9 iPad Pro.
I mean, aside from better display, I dont see any sane reason for a person to update from M1/M2 to M3 iPad Pro.
Got myself M1 12.9 Pro in 2021 naively hoping that Apple putting M1 into an iPad is a sure sign of MacOS app support coming to iPads that year.
Well, color me "surprised" - it never came, thus, for me, aside from wanting to get biggest iPad there was available back then, its just overpowered consumption device that just simply lacks compared to laptop when it comes to iPad "being a laptop replacement".

For people debating on what to get this year and you want/need bigger screen - unless you cant live without OLED in new Pro models, Id go with hopefully much cheaper iPad Air 12 inch model.

I know I might have gone with one if it was available back in 2021 as a new, enhanced model.

Agree. Windows 11 isn't great for tablets just as iPadOS is limited for general purpose computing as many here have complained about.
Its funny how Microsoft never really addressed touch interface issues of it being rather unusable.
Windows Phone 8, on the other hand, was very well made imho, yet I dont see much if any of that UX brought to Windows operating system in touch mode.

Moukee

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2023
I'll take an OLED display (although I'd also take a miniLED display in the 11" model), but why make it even thinner? At this point I'm worried about the structural integrity of the device when putting it in a stuffed backpack. Keep the thickness or make it thicker to add more battery and maybe another USB-C port.

Johnny London

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Speaking of large handheld tablets. How do you guys clean the iPad’s screen? The cleaning neccessity is one drawback compared to a macbook. Anyone used specific screen cleaning solutions and what is your long-term experience with alcohol-based solutions?

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Speaking of large handheld tablets. How do you guys clean the iPad’s screen? The cleaning neccessity is one drawback compared to a macbook. Anyone used specific screen cleaning solutions and what is your long-term experience with alcohol-based solutions?
I’ve always just used soap and water

• Wow
Reactions: PlayUltimate

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Exactly, only reason they not doing that is worry over cannibalize their laptops. Typical Tim Cook bean counter thinking, screw the product itself…..that m3 is more than capable to handle mac so, or how convenient it will be for users to have a desktop experience on the iPad. But never going to happen under cook.
Indeed the current crew really looks at proper product/market segmentation to maximize shareholder value, yada-yada-yada... vs making truly great products for users (though they still do focus more on that than any other big player)... still you can feel the slide talking to the folks at Apple today vs 20 and + years ago.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
To clean my iPad or iPhone I use the same stuff I use to clean my glasses which you can get from an optometrist. That and a tissue, paper towel or soft cloth. Has worked for years without detriment.

There are also cleaning cloths that don’t require a cleaning solution—just dampen the cloth and wipe then dry with an accompanying cloth. Also works great on mirrors, windows are car windshields.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It’s the Higher Prices part that’s getting me. I’m debating between upgrading either my M1 MBP or my 2018 iPad Pro. This would be a nice screen, but I’m still not seeing much of a reason to upgrade either.
I also have an M1 MBP and, until recently, a 2018 iPad Pro. Last year I bought a refurbished 2021 iPad Pro just to get the M1 CPU. My iPad is used for browsing, reading, and watching video content. I suspect I won't need to upgrade the iPad for another few years.

• Love
Reactions: gank41

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This rumored announcement would be around the same time as the Surface Pro 10, with Snapdragon X and OLED display, running a proper desktop OS with a similar rumored price point.

This. I have super high hopes as from what I understand the Snapdraon X will bring significant battery life and performance on par with Apple. I can only speak for myself, but my Surface Pro's just absolutely trounce the functionality of an iPad with the caveat being crappy battery life, I can't wait for this to be evened out. If Apple offered MacOS on their iPads I would highly consider that route, but iPadOS will never be sufficient for my needs no matter how much CPU/GPU power they throw at it.

Reactions: dalestrauss

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
But as you said, the Surface Pro will still be limited by a desktop OS. No SoC can make it a proper tablet.
Its funny how Microsoft never really addressed touch interface issues of it being rather unusable.
Windows Phone 8, on the other hand, was very well made imho, yet I dont see much if any of that UX brought to Windows operating system in touch mode.

I've been using Surface Pro devices for years and years now, I've always failed to see where it's limited as a tablet, in particular the past 2-3 years where they have really pushed hard to improve the tablet UI. I think they have done a great job in letting users switch from a mouse/keyboard paradigm to a touch paradigm seamlessly and I have no issues using it like this on a daily basis for both work and non-work.

Reactions: Ludatyk

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
My M2 iPad Pro is very good. Using it with Pencil is the only way to use it. Keyboards are for zombies.

Better cameras will be excellenté

It will also probably have better speakers and a better microphone.

I am hoping Apple didn't move the front-facing camera to landscape orientation. 🙏
Not much chance of better speakers if the device is getting thinner.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Why? It's really a great device, also these days. You can buy one with huge discounts right now!
I have one and love it… I want a 7… with a non garbage screen and more ram and better battery life. But increasingly haven’t heard any rumors about it. They ditched iPhone mini; I hope iPad mini sales aren’t so bad that Cook must once again make shareholders happy by dumping another device.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This rumored announcement would be around the same time as the Surface Pro 10, with Snapdragon X and OLED display, running a proper desktop OS with a similar rumored price point.
But then, the Surface Pro 10 is essentially a full Windows 11 computer. That's different than an iPad running iPadOS.

stealthytolkien

macrumors member
May 3, 2021
It’s surprising how well my 2018 iPad Pro 11 AND my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 are performing to date. Battery lasts a good 7-8 hours on each of them. And 2018’s speakers are great (2017’s are ok but it’s a thinner iPad).

There is literally nothing else that I can think of to make the experience any better. I don’t have to worry about OLED screen issues and these prices, which are just insane. My 2017 iPad Pro was $400 when I bought it in 2018 open box and 2018 iPad Pro was $500 when I bought it in 2019, also open box. Both can do video and music editing among other consumer activities such as note taking with Pencil 2, media consumption, shopping, browsing, etc. and the 120Hz screen is a joy to experience so much so that I simply cannot tolerate 60Hz screens anymore! Heck it was the sole reason I opted for the Pro lineup - the pro motion.

What are people doing on their iPads these days to justify the kind of power and prices Apple is going for? I am genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
What are people doing on their iPads these days to justify the kind of power and prices Apple is going for? I am genuinely curious.
iPad Pros are for people who really need the power and capabilities of that kind of device for business or creative fields, often in tandem with the Apple Pencil. Artists like the iPad Pro. It also appeals to those who just have to have the latest and greatest toy.

The iPad Air has moved into the position the Pro once had—a capable better-than-average device.

The iPad 10, and soon to be retired 9, work well for most people as a consumption device.

The Mini appeals largely to those who like its compact size.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Have budget for a 12.9" from work, but no way I would pay that much for an iPad, even if I'm not actually paying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.