Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happypappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Philadelphia
I was on the fence between 512 and 1TB. Ended up getting the 512 and wondering if I should’ve gotten the 1TB.

Besides 3D movies and Spacial Videos, I’m not sure what else could eat up the space.

The only thing I’m worried about is how much the OS will take up.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Ordered the base 256GB.

I always order the base product (MBP, MBA, Studio Mac, iPad Pro, AW, ATV).

I never come close to filling up any of my devices, nor do I need more RAM or more processing cores, etc...

Not worried about a first gen device - later generations will be more space as needed...
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 5.15.42 AM.jpeg

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
256GB- I wanted the lowest cost version to be honest, I know I was already spending a lot, but- I will see how much I end up using it and maybe go up in the next generation. My main concern was that the lower base storage option would have less RAM than the other versions, but that does not appear to be the case. I also am presuming that spatial videos will be able to be stored in iCloud Photos to view later and download on device when I want. I imagine myself using this more like an iPad, load content onto it for a plane ride for example and then delete when I get home.

I got the 512GB. My 1TB iPad is not even close to full so I can't imagine this device will be. Plus since it will not be my primary computing device, most of my storage needs would not be on this either. I don't plan on gaming so my storage needs should be limited. I didn't go with the 256GB version because I know how OS sizes can grow and didn't want to face that issue down the road :p

ourguile

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2024
New York
256… I have 512GB on my iPhone but am nowhere near close to using that amount of space. Plus with iCloud and other storage devices I have, there’s more than enough storage for everything I can envision using it for. The only device I ended up using most of my storage on is the Steam Deck, since games nowadays run anywhere from a few hundred MB up to 150+ GB. Like others, I figured if the time came that I needed more on-device storage and a 2nd gen Apple Vision device was released, then I could add on (and hopefully price would be lower!).

svnty6rs3

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Went with a 512GB specifically because i wasn't sure what space 3d movies and some of these immersive experiences might take up especially as they hopefully release long and longer immersive experiences.

Reactions: G5isAlive

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I didn't order because I dont live in the States, but personally I wouldn't max out. I think we will see a Gen2 version of this pretty quickly. There will be no higher resell value in higher storage options.

Reactions: pizzzle

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
512GB, just out of a bit of caution. My content primarily lives on iCloud so probably don’t even need it but figured it wouldn’t hurt come resale in the future.

codeunrwolfpack

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
I first ordered 256GB, but then I thought that may not be enough and I didn't want to be stuck with an almost $4k device that is out of memory. So I ordered another one at 512GB. Now I have two on order. When I go to the Apple Store to pick up my Apple Vision Pro, I will cancel the one I don't plan on using, which will probably be the 256GB the more that I think about it.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I went with 512GB. That should be plenty enough for storing apps. I'll primarily be streaming movies from streaming services or from a Plex server running on my NAS, so I don't see a need to copy movies directly to the Vision Pro, unless I'm going on a trip and want to watch movies on it during flights.

Reactions: doelcm82

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I went with 512GB. That should be plenty enough for storing apps. I'll primarily be streaming movies from streaming services or from a Plex server running on my NAS, so I don't see a need to copy movies directly to the Vision Pro, unless I'm going on a trip and want to watch movies on it during flights.
Thinking Plex through Safari? (I assume there's no native app yet)

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I went with the 512GB also. With games and especially 4k HDR movies on a plane? Better to be safe than sorry.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
512, though I was tempted to go with 256. I’m expecting spatial videos to take up a lot of space.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I first ordered 256GB, but then I thought that may not be enough and I didn't want to be stuck with an almost $4k device that is out of memory. So I ordered another one at 512GB. Now I have two on order. When I go to the Apple Store to pick up my Apple Vision Pro, I will cancel the one I don't plan on using, which will probably be the 256GB the more that I think about it.
That is exactly the same as I did. My 256 arrives on 2/2 at 8:00AM, the 512 doesn’t arrive until a whopping 6 hours later at 2:30PM (hopefully I’ll be able to get them at the same time🤞). Now, after looking at the prices on eBay, I’m thinking I might just sell one.

azcoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Plex have already stated they have no plans to develop a native visionOS app. Not surprising as they haven't created a Plex player for Meta Quest. I'm planning on using any native video player that supports streaming from DLNA since Plex Media Server already provides the DLNA option. I'm going to take a look at Moon VR Player on Feb 2nd once the app store goes live. Their app has been approved for the Vision Pro app store and should be available on launch day. It supports streaming from DLNA servers. https://moonvrplayer.com/

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
I don't know about Plex, but from what I know, Infuse supports Plex, and Infuse developer has submitted an app for Apple Vision Pro ;-)

So there will be at least one way to use your Plex Library on Apple Vision Pro.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
1tb, I won't be buying another one more than likely so holding a few movies and playing them from the device will be nice and who knows how big apps could get, 256gb is too small this thing should have had 512gb as the base

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I feel like 512GB is sort of a weird spot.

• 256GB => $3499
  • 512GB => $3699 (+$200 for +256GB)
  • 1TB => $3899 (+$200 for +512GB)

To me 512GB is an upsell which has the worst value per GB. I rather either go the lowest (256GB) or the highest (+$400 for +768GB) instead of the middle ground (+$200 for +256GB) which seems like the worst incremental value of the two upsell options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.