Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
256GB for v1… but if I love it… I may do a swap up to the 512GB or 1TB model in a day or two. I don’t want to be caught up without enough space.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I went with 1TB because it was $400 more than the base price and the base price is large, so the delta isn't as large. Also, it allows me to put more stuff onto it.
I’m leaning towards spending the extra $400 bucks. I was being cheap and I should’ve just went for it but my initial use case is to be a conduit for viewing stuff on my mac and working from my mac.

micvice

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
I bought the 512GB version because I have a ton of storage on my iCloud.

This is also a first gen product, so I figured by the time the 2nd or 3rd one comes out, I would want to jump to the next.

I also feel like having 1TB version would have the side effect of me being depended on a minimum of 1TB of storage for the foreseeable future.

I am not planning to get lost in the jungle, off the grid, somewhere. I can manage my space if needed; so 512GB is more than enough for something more akin to a “wannabe-MacBook” replacement.

This is more iPad than MacBook. It supplements my other devices for now.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I bought the 512GB version because I have a ton of storage on my iCloud.

This is also a first gen product, so I figured by the time the 2nd or 3rd one comes out, I would want to jump to the next.

I also feel like having 1TB version would have the side effect of me being depended on a minimum of 1TB of storage for the foreseeable future.

I am not planning to get lost in the jungle, off the grid, somewhere. I can manage my space if needed; so 512GB is more than enough for something more akin to a “wannabe-MacBook” replacement.

This is more iPad than MacBook. It supplements my other devices for now.
Very sound reasoning here. May use it for myself 😃

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
Will the AVP allow for downloaded content like I do with my Macbook or iPad ?

When I travel, I download Apple TV episodes and Amazon + Netflix movies so that I can watch them on a plane offline...
You can't download Netflix stuff even on a Mac there's no app, just on iPads and iPhones... and Netflix said they won't be making an app for it nor allowing the iPad app to run on it so you'd have to watch Netflix through Safari. I mean there's ways to download anything and put it on Files and then view it but it's not as simple. Maybe Netflix will change their mind if it's a hit. I think it's probably too expensive, both my local stores still have day 1 pickup available even on the base model. I'll probably get one although I have 3 different concerts to play that weekend so maybe I'll wait and see how the reviews are on here. I'd be using it with my Studio Ultra so I'm curious how the extended display works.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
You can't download Netflix stuff even on a Mac there's no app, just on iPads and iPhones... and Netflix said they won't be making an app for it nor allowing the iPad app to run on it so you'd have to watch Netflix through Safari. I mean there's ways to download anything and put it on Files and then view it but it's not as simple. Maybe Netflix will change their mind if it's a hit. I think it's probably too expensive, both my local stores still have day 1 pickup available even on the base model. I'll probably get one although I have 3 different concerts to play that weekend so maybe I'll wait and see how the reviews are on here. I'd be using it with my Studio Ultra so I'm curious how the extended display works.
Ah, yes I remember when I traveled, Netflix app was on the iPad with had downloaded movies. For the Mac I use Amazon and downloaded offline movies.

Studio Max Mac is what I use too and would love to see how the VP works instead of the dual 27" displays...

Reactions: alfonsog

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Having a lot of trouble deciding whether I should cancel my 512GB or 1TB order...
Same, but with 256gb vs 512gb. I have a 512 gb iPad now and I use around 130-150gb on it with some movies downloaded for travel. My iphone is 256gb and I’m only using half the space. I’m assuming iCloud is helping with this. Need to cancel one of the pick ups soon. Thankfully Apple makes it too easy to cancel an order esp when it’s just an Apple Card hold for now.

I still just don’t know how the amount of space I need will differ on the vp vs the other iOS devices I use now. And how much downloading of so estimated “50-60gb” movies will be. Sure the difference is just 17$ a month with Apple Card payments, but I just hate to have too much unused space knowing I paid for it lol.

And to add most of my downloads on my
iPad are currently from Netflix :-/.

I got the 512GB. My 1TB iPad is not even close to full so I can't imagine this device will be. Plus since it will not be my primary computing device, most of my storage needs would not be on this either. I don't plan on gaming so my storage needs should be limited. I didn't go with the 256GB version because I know how OS sizes can grow and didn't want to face that issue down the road :p
I am not sure if my choice about storage was correct yet, but I wasn't wrong in the decision to purchase! I was out of town last weekend when my Vision Pro showed up. I picked it up yesterday and have used it for about two hours in total since. I am LOVING every second of it. Definitely not going to be a "dud" and I haven't been this giddy about tech since the original iPhone release!!

• Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I am not sure if my choice about storage was correct yet, but I wasn't wrong in the decision to purchase! I was out of town last weekend when my Vision Pro showed up. I picked it up yesterday and have used it for about two hours in total since. I am LOVING every second of it. Definitely not going to be a "dud" and I haven't been this giddy about tech since the original iPhone release!!

This is so great and it is one "feature" no one talks about.

I cannot remember the last time just USING a product made me happy! iPhones have become kind of a drudgery. They are awesome, but ok, the camera is better. Thank you. It's snappier. Thank you. But the joy of using it like I did day one with the original, nothing like that elation feeling has been felt in a long time.

I remember when I first used the original Lisa in 83, my mind melted. Just clicking and moving icons around. Just looking at fonts. Tearing off the template stationary. Drawing with the mouse. Looking close at the pixels. It was the kind of thing where you INSTANTLY JUST KNEW nothing would ever be the same again.

I must have spent 5 minutes just staring at the glass edge of floating windows with the AVP in different environments, marveling at it.

That sheer 'tech is pure fun joy' reason for using something, it's been a while since I felt anything like it. I guess flying my first drone felt something like a little version of that, but it's not the same like it was with the Lisa and then the iPhone.

The AVP, for me, has that fizz. That pure elation for the wonder that is the thing itself, that makes me just want to explore, how and where and in what ways can I use this thing. It makes me WANT to explore.

New macOS and iOS comes out, with new features and honestly, I cant even be bothered to care to try to figure out what they are. I just dont care.

Where as with the AVP, I just keep wanting to explore and try more things with it.

That sheer fun of exploring the thing itself, is something I have not felt from any tech product from anyone in a long time.

This is so great and it is one "feature" no one talks about.

I cannot remember the last time just USING a product made me happy! iPhones have become kind of a drudgery. They are awesome, but ok, the camera is better. Thank you. It's snappier. Thank you. But the joy of using it like I did day one with the original, nothing like that elation feeling has been felt in a long time.

I remember when I first used the original Lisa in 83, my mind melted. Just clicking and moving icons around. Just looking at fonts. Tearing off the template stationary. Drawing with the mouse. Looking close at the pixels. It was the kind of thing where you INSTANTLY JUST KNEW nothing would ever be the same again.

I must have spent 5 minutes just staring at the glass edge of floating windows with the AVP in different environments, marveling at it.

That sheer 'tech is pure fun joy' reason for using something, it's been a while since I felt anything like it. I guess flying my first drone felt something like a little version of that, but it's not the same like it was with the Lisa and then the iPhone.

The AVP, for me, has that fizz. That pure elation for the wonder that is the thing itself, that makes me just want to explore, how and where and in what ways can I use this thing. It makes me WANT to explore.

New macOS and iOS comes out, with new features and honestly, I cant even be bothered to care to try to figure out what they are. I just dont care.

Where as with the AVP, I just keep wanting to explore and try more things with it.

That sheer fun of exploring the thing itself, is something I have not felt from any tech product from anyone in a long time.
Couldn't have said it better!! All love, joy, and excitement for the future!!

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Considering the huge initial outlay and the fact that most content will be high res video, I don't think you can overestimate the need for storage. I think most of the places I will most want to have my device with me will be places that are remote with little coverage for streaming.

mikeartaguirre

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
I keep flip flopping between 512GB and 1TB. On one hand, if I want to have all my photos stored locally (like my other devices) I have a lot more wiggle room with 1TB, but if I ”optimize photos“ I could get away with 512GB. I have an order in for the 512GB for delivery on 2/2 and an in-store pickup for the 1TB on 2/3.
Which one did he end up keeping?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I bought 512GB. I felt like 256GB could get tight if I really found myself using it for a lot of non-streaming media, and I wasn't sure how big some of the future 3D apps are going to get. So went with 512GB just in case. Probably overkill, but... buy once, cry once.

Reactions: Macaholic868

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Been using it since release date and haven't felt any squeeze from the 256GB version.

Moving large files to the device over airdrop feels too slow to me. For example shuttling 8GB HDR videos over for local playback seems like it should go way faster. Definitely would hook the device up to my mac via USB to do this fast it were possible without the dev kit.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Been using it since release date and haven't felt any squeeze from the 256GB version.

Moving large files to the device over airdrop feels too slow to me. For example shuttling 8GB HDR videos over for local playback seems like it should go way faster. Definitely would hook the device up to my mac via USB to do this fast it were possible without the dev kit.

I REALLY want a fast USB sync. It's a glaring omission for anyone doing real work on this.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I went with 512 GB as well thinking for that much money I’d rather spender another $200 and future proof it considering that the next version won’t be out for a couple of years and even when it hits I may not necessarily decide to buy one. Particularly if the next version exists primarily to increase the mass market appeal of the device by offering nominal hardware upgrades with the real focus being on making it less expensive.

I’m not even close to hitting 256 GB yet but that’s because I stream all of my content. I do plan on using the All Songs playlist I created to download all of my music locally and that will use 36 GB of space and I also want to load all of the the movies that I bought from Apple that have 3D versions along with may favorite non-3D movies as well and I want plenty of room for 3D immersive content as more of it becomes available so not knowing how much the OS, apps and Vision Pro optimized content might take up I’m still glad I went with 512 GB but I’d tell anyone on the fence looking to spend as little as possible that 512 is highly likely to be overkill unless I’m talking to somebody with a huge collection of music and movies that they absolutely want to load on the device instead of stream.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I got the 1 TB. I have a ton of photos and videos and like to keep as much downloaded locally when possible just for performance. Plus, given the already lofty price, the storage seemed like a bargain. I definitely understand people getting less storage if they don’t have a lot in Photos.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I first purchased a 256gb. After using it for two weeks, and seeing the size of movie and tv show downloads, I upgraded to 512gb. I figured the extra cost wasn’t bad for the extra space. I probably could’ve stayed with 256gb though, but no complaints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.