Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Plex have already stated they have no plans to develop a native visionOS app. Not surprising as they haven't created a Plex player for Meta Quest. I'm planning on using any native video player that supports streaming from DLNA since Plex Media Server already provides the DLNA option. I'm going to take a look at Moon VR Player on Feb 2nd once the app store goes live. Their app has been approved for the Vision Pro app store and should be available on launch day. It supports streaming from DLNA servers. https://moonvrplayer.com/
skybox is nice on meta wonder if they will devlop for it since i doubt bigscreen will

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I first ordered 256GB, but then I thought that may not be enough and I didn't want to be stuck with an almost $4k device that is out of memory. So I ordered another one at 512GB. Now I have two on order. When I go to the Apple Store to pick up my Apple Vision Pro, I will cancel the one I don't plan on using, which will probably be the 256GB the more that I think about it.
Did the exact same thing. On my MacBook Air, System Data alone is already up to 90GB, leaving me only about 70Gb out of 256GB storage. Not knowing how large these apps or future OS versions can be, felt it was better to play it safe with no regrets.

Reactions: codeunrwolfpack

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I feel like 512GB is sort of a weird spot.

• 256GB => $3499
  • 512GB => $3699 (+$200 for +256GB)
  • 1TB => $3899 (+$200 for +512GB)

To me 512GB is an upsell which has the worst value per GB. I rather either go the lowest (256GB) or the highest (+$400 for +768GB) instead of the middle ground (+$200 for +256GB) which seems like the worst incremental value of the two upsell options.
Only if you actually need 1TB. Otherwise its a waste of $200.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Ordered 512GB because they suckered me into it in the rush of ordering at 8:01AM. My thinking is that basically I'm nearly always going to use this at home, except maybe occasionally when traveling. At home I have gigabit fiber, so downloading content is not an issue.

And..most importantly - developers are not going to design 100GB apps/games/experiences if there is a base model with 256GB. They just can't now, because your already tiny audience can't be further split into those who spent an extra 200-400 on storage. So then the storage is just about the quantity of files/apps games. So IMO 256 still is the best idea, but I'll stick with my 512GB.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I got 256 as it caught me off guard.

I feel like most things will be streamed or in the cloud. I doubt we're going to get games anytime soon.

If it feels like a problem, I'll return stand and wait on a larger size unit even if that means a couple months wait.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
i was just gonna get 256 because everything is streaming, or files can easily be airdropped between devices. but then said, well just for a little more wiggle room, lets get the 512. and so i did.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I don't know about Plex, but from what I know, Infuse supports Plex, and Infuse developer has submitted an app for Apple Vision Pro ;-)

So there will be at least one way to use your Plex Library on Apple Vision Pro.
yo dawg, I put an app in your app so you can app while you app

Payton34

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Chicago, IL
I ordered 1 TB due to the relatively small difference in overall cost when paid through my Apple Card. I also have no idea how much storage will be "good" so I rather have too much than not enough.

iKimm

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I went with 1TB because I’m just not sure how much I’ll end up storing on it, and figured for how much money I’m already paying, I might as well go for more space.
Same! I am sure the resale value will be good when we upgrade to the next one ... lol!

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I feel like 512GB is sort of a weird spot.

• 256GB => $3499
  • 512GB => $3699 (+$200 for +256GB)
  • 1TB => $3899 (+$200 for +512GB)

To me 512GB is an upsell which has the worst value per GB. I rather either go the lowest (256GB) or the highest (+$400 for +768GB) instead of the middle ground (+$200 for +256GB) which seems like the worst incremental value of the two upsell options.

so what did you get?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I ordered 256GB because I have a 256GB iPhone 14 Pro and have over 200GB of free storage. I’m never able to fill up my phone since I stream everything. So the same with the Vision Pro, I’ll be streaming everything since it’s always connected to the internet. If I’m traveling and need to store a movie or two, 256GB will be more than enough for that.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Exactly. Sure 256 would have done if I wanted to constantly shuffle files. 512 probably is enough so that i probably wouldn’t have to worry, but eh 1 tb, why not?
Shuffling files? Exactly what do you plan on filling this with that shuffling files is a concern? Especially when this device will more than likely be connected to high speed internet almost all the time. The photos app can optimize storage to save space. I got 7000+ photos and hundreds of videos, I don’t look at all of them every day so I don’t need them all downloaded to my phone. I don’t need my entire music or movie and tv library downloaded either.

So I’m really curious to know how you will use all that storage.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Shuffling files? Exactly what do you plan on filling this with that shuffling files is a concern? Especially when this device will more than likely be connected to high speed internet almost all the time. The photos app can optimize storage to save space. I got 7000+ photos and hundreds of videos, I don’t look at all of them every day so I don’t need them all downloaded to my phone. I don’t need my entire music or movie and tv library downloaded either.

So I’m really curious to know how you will use all that storage.

You know what they say about assumptions don’t you? Your first one “more than likely to be connected to high speed internet almost all the time” may be true for you, but not for me. I spent a third of my life last year in hotel rooms. And that doesn’t count time in the air. And that’s my primary use case, to use away from home 90% of the time with crappy internet.

My cloud based work folders alone are 250gb. And I do like to carry a large movie selection so that I can choose as the mood strikes me, that is another easy 100 gb. Ditto my music. And my biggest hobbies are photography and videography. My camera alone takes 61 mb raw still files. And I take 100’s at a time (fireworks for example). I’m really curious to see if the AVP helps me sort through those images.

I have two iPad pros. The 12.9 has 1 tb and I use to edit photos. The 10 has 512gb. I never have to worry about the 1tb, sometimes do the 512. So 1tb is a convenience to me.

And there’s the unknown how large the new video format will be.

But you make an excellent point about the internet and use case. At home my go to iPad is a mini with only 256 gb and I never have problems with it. I use it only for reading and playing games. I like it because it’s small and easy to hold for hours.

I can hear the naysayers now, “the apv will suck at real work, without thunderbolt you wont want to edit your photo library, its too heavy to watch a movie, the batter life is too short…”

Maybe. Probably. But only one way to really find out if it fits my life. And if it does, I’d hate to have only 256gb given how likely wait times are going to go up and how long until APV 2. People that think we will see APV 2 soon are going to be disappointed.

And if APV doesnt fit my life? I’ll return it.

Reactions: masotime

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Damnit! Back and forth all day yesterday or whether or not to order. Check this morning and can get a 512 for in store pick up 2/2. Why not :)

Reactions: Crow_Servo

NacolThatsall

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
Initially I ordered the 256 thinking how I don’t use half of that on my iPhone or iPad because of the cloud storage. But hubby convinced me to go up to 512 and I get it faster w in store pickup instead of delivery w the 256 version.

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
1TB.

I didn't want to risk running out of space - currently on my iPhone I'm using north of 256Gb, and I've had major storage issues on my 64Gb iPad Mini (can't sync photo library, apply updates, all apps are downloaded on demand etc.).

At a starting price of $3499, the extra for 512GB or 1TB is negligible, and the higher tiers generally don't tend to sell out as fast, so greater chance of getting one for launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.