Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I bought the 512 gb version. I have 512 on my iPhone, and only use 93 gb. So, I figured I was likely good with 512.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I got the 512GB model. I normally go for 1TB on my devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) but since this is a very first gen device, I decided to save the $200. I have a 512GB 13 mini and as long as I don’t download lossless music, I can keep all my photos and videos on it and have 100GB left over. Maybe I’ll turn on optimize storage for my photos. Hope I don’t regret it!

Edit: Changed my order to the 1TB, I'll probably want to keep lossless music on the device.

Last edited:

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I'm curious - If you used only 93gb, why not get the 256GB? 256GB is already 175% more than 93GB. Was it because the 256GB wasn't available by Feb 2?
Because I plan on taking a lot of Spatial Videos on the device for a work project. I just want to be safe.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Went with the 256GB, wanted to keep costs low as I could since it's 1st Gen. Was really on the fence about ordering at all, so wasn't in the mood to spend any extra. Even toyed with not getting the Zeiss inserts, I wear glasses but my prescription is pretty minimal, but ultimately ordered them.

I think that 256GB will be enough for basic needs and I don't plan on wearing this in public anywhere soon/somewhere without wifi where I can stream most of what I want to watch. For my Mac devices I generally order them with the least storage possible (unless it impacts performance) as I keep all my documents/files/etc. on my home NAS and I've never ran tight on space before....we'll see how it goes this time though.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I got 256 and I regularly max out Mac configurations. So it wasn’t that.

On this, I also think iCloud will manage media well, like it does iPhone.

But I also think Apple has way too much riding on this product launch to underestimate the HD space needed to have very high customer satisfaction scores.

If the product proved unpopular I do not think it will be because of the base model’s HD space. If it were, Apple would have blown it in the worst possible way.

As a result, I interpreted the 500 and 1tb options (and the fact they were kept secret until onsale) as pure money grab. I actually think it was the least honest thing I’ve seen Apple do with a new product that I can remember.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Didn’t buy, but storage is tricky because it’s so new. You don’t know your use case for it yet.l

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I got 256 and I regularly max out Mac configurations. So it wasn’t that.

On this, I also think iCloud will manage media well, like it does iPhone.

But I also think Apple has way too much riding on this product launch to underestimate the HD space needed to have very high customer satisfaction scores.

If the product proved unpopular I do not think it will be because of the base model’s HD space. If it were, Apple would have blown it in the worst possible way.

As a result, I interpreted the 500 and 1tb options (and the fact they were kept secret until onsale) as pure money grab. I actually think it was the least honest thing I’ve seen Apple do with a new product that I can remember.
Good point(s). I also think Apple didn't release info about the larger HD capacities because then the media would keep referring to the VP as a $3899 product. Im certain the 256 GB will be suitable for the majority.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Good point(s). I also think Apple didn't release info about the larger HD capacities because then the media would keep referring to the VP as a $3899 product. Im certain the 256 GB will be suitable for the majority.
Will the AVP allow for downloaded content like I do with my Macbook or iPad ?

When I travel, I download Apple TV episodes and Amazon + Netflix movies so that I can watch them on a plane offline...

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
512GB because I didn't want to worry about running out of space, especially knowing how much storage spatial video needs. That's also the same storage I have on my MBA and work MBP, and it tends to be a healthy number for me.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Another consideration on storage space is that it seems like the Vision Pro should be able to handle AirDrop pretty well.

I probably won’t be far from my M2 MBA which has 2TB of space.

If I need to move large video files like off-line movies, or shows, I would probably just stage these things on one of the other devices. I do this now between my Mac and iPhone.

I wonder what the most appropriate encoding is to maximize the video quality displayed in Vision Pro.

Presumably, keeping a 2160p HDR copy of Dune on Vision Pro is overkill.

It would be good to know, since it might help estimate just how much offline content could be kept alongside first and third party apps, their content and system data.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
256GB. Not sure what storage needs with AVP I'll have yet and already pay for 2TB of iCloud storage.
Same. Went back and forth. I have 256 GB on MacBook, with 200 GB still available. For my personal use, I will never be downloading multiple 3d movies at any one time. All photos (including spatial are optimized in iCloud). If VP takes off and developers come out with killer apps that are massive, I'll happily upgrade to version 2 with more storage if needed. But for now, I just want to play/experiment with what's possible now. My biggest fear isn't having enough storage, it's that I will find it a novelty after a few weeks/months. All that aside, I can't wait for Feb 2nd!

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I went with 512 because I want to save some movies and tv shows for offline viewing, but mainly because I want to have A LOT of apps on it. I got the base model of the original iPad and I remember running up against storage because I was downloading practically every app. Maybe I’d get a lower storage in the future when I know what apps are out there that I want, but right now I want to experience every app I can.

Reactions: tobyringle69

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I went with 512 - I don't think I'll need it but wanted some breathing room, as I may be storing several spatial video memories on it.

The OS seems to be closer to iPad OS than macos, so my guess is mostly will be streaming/ephermal content

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
My biggest fear isn't having enough storage, it's that I will find it a novelty after a few weeks/months. All that aside, I can't wait for Feb 2nd!
I get this. But I am hopeful Apple fears this much more and has a very carefully crafted release plan for experiences and content to keep the device exciting.

Fwiw, the Quest 2 and 3 have been novelties for me outside Supernatural. I have roughly only used the devices for that and it’s been worth it.

I think Apple can do way better in making the device solve a lot of problems.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I keep flip flopping between 512GB and 1TB. On one hand, if I want to have all my photos stored locally (like my other devices) I have a lot more wiggle room with 1TB, but if I ”optimize photos“ I could get away with 512GB. I have an order in for the 512GB for delivery on 2/2 and an in-store pickup for the 1TB on 2/3.

• Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I keep flip flopping between 512GB and 1TB. On one hand, if I want to have all my photos stored locally (like my other devices) I have a lot more wiggle room with 1TB, but if I ”optimize photos“ I could get away with 512GB. I have an order in for the 512GB for delivery on 2/2 and an in-store pickup for the 1TB on 2/3.
In all honesty, how often are you going to want/need to access your full photo library on VP while off line?

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I get this. But I am hopeful Apple fears this much more and has a very carefully crafted release plan for experiences and content to keep the device exciting.

Fwiw, the Quest 2 and 3 have been novelties for me outside Supernatural. I have roughly only used the devices for that and it’s been worth it.

I think Apple can do way better in making the device solve a lot of problems.
Love Supernatural! It's the one reason I use my kids Meta Quests! Im really hoping Apple Fitness+ comes out with something similar and interactive for VP.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Love Supernatural! It's the one reason I use my kids Meta Quests! Im really hoping Apple Fitness+ comes out with something similar and interactive for VP.
I strongly suspect they will. Supernatural is kind of cheesy in its production compared to the refinement of Fitness+.

The app’s design has little rhyme or reason with the random environments and mess of a UI for picking workouts. The song selection is also very weak.

I like some of the trainers, but it will be hard to compete with the folks Apple is already using. I’ve seen a from a fitness coach working up until the birth of her kid and where they often provide sign language. Apple’s taste is super progressive and refined.

I remember when Supernatural did this May the Fourth Be With You tribute and it was cute but so cheap looking. That app is just a bag of missed opportunities.

Just the same, it’s still good as it is and I think that gave Apple a bit of concern after the VP was delayed over and over.

I suspect that the federal interference in the acquisition by Meta could have been spurred by Apple’s own quiet lobbying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.