Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
It all depends on individual usage. Some will the use 44 as an extension tipo the mobile. You will need bigger display. For those who use it as fitness more than a snarwatch 42 will suffice. You will tend to use the dashboard more info.

I totally agree with you. However, when doing fitness, I like to be without the cellphone. I'm ending the day around 15% battery life. I'm going to try the 44mm while still in my return period and decide to keep that or the 40mm... this is coming from a series 1 38mm.
[doublepost=1555295180][/doublepost]

Here's the 40mm on a 7.25" (185mm) wrist.
[doublepost=1555295736][/doublepost]
I'm average height 5'10" but about 200lbs and lean. So, not tall, but thick and wide with a mesomorph build ... just how you like it ;-P ....think Captain America or Thor build with bigger chest from power lifting. Ya, I run/bike competitively too, jack of all trades. I competed ranger challenge in the Army.
[doublepost=1555288430][/doublepost]...and to summarize your response, You must be a fashion diva due to the offense you took?
[doublepost=1555288857][/doublepost]
...also thought it might important to share my wrist size since size matters to you ;-P 190mm (just over 7.5"). I use the second to last setting on the M/L band.

On another note, I'm actually tempted to try the 44mm for the better battery life since I'm using cellular for the first time and the 40mm watch is just making it through the day with around 15% battery life left. Also, the display for some text is a little small on the eyes. I'm upgrading from a series 1 38mm, which I used minimally. With the new watch faces, wireless, etc. I'm actually using the watch a bit more. If it were not for some of the images being hard to read at a quick glance and shorter batter life, no doubt I'd prefer to just hold onto the 40mm... going to try something different though... be a fashion diva with some functionality ;-)

Ok, I reposted my wrist size with a legit measurement (instead of eyeballing it) since I knew this may turn into a pissin* match with the other dude lol. My wrist measures about 7.25" snug at around 185mm. I'm posting this to give you all with about average to large male wrists the size of the 40mm. I'll followup with what the 44mm looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13,143
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,548
Last edited:

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I totally agree with you. However, when doing fitness, I like to be without the cellphone. I'm ending the day around 15% battery life. I'm going to try the 44mm while still in my return period and decide to keep that or the 40mm... this is coming from a series 1 38mm.

Ok, I reposted my wrist size with a legit measurement (instead of eyeballing it) since I knew this may turn into a pissin* match with the other dude lol. My wrist measures about 7.25" snug at around 185mm. I'm posting this to give you all with about average to large male wrists the size of the 40mm. I'll followup with what the 44mm looks like.

Most of us men wear a 42/44 fine, that's why they sell so many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jacklivehere

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011

My followup with the 44mm as promised. This is the initial fit. I'll wear it for a week and see how it fairs out. I'm not a big fan of the added heft and I have descent sized arms if anyone's keeping track (18"), so it is not that I can't handle the extra weight. I'm use to feeling balanced in activities that require agility, and it throws off my sense of weight distribution. I'll probably get over it in the next week or so. The added screen real estate is great, but the watch does feel more like an old school Casio watch calculator. Also, I do feel the added weight and width seems to dig more into the ulnar bone above the hand. My main use for the watch is training/tracking, so as long as the added size doesn't interfere with that, I'll probably hold onto it assuming the battery life can hold up.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,852
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,242
Last edited by a moderator:

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Here's a shot of the 44mm and 40mm SS watches on the same wrist. Again, I'm at wrist size of 7.25"/185mm on the right arm (I'm ambidextrous, but prefer wearing watch on the right wrist.); my height is about 5'10"... 70". Get what's comfortable. I'm reluctantly leaning towards sacrificing overall comfort for the larger screen and battery life since I do use the LTE service on the watch so I don't need to carry a cell phone (my compromise) and enjoy the larger screen area; if not for that, 40mm would have easily been my choice. Not an easy choice to make, but I am getting use to the added weight and slight discomfort. The 44mm is definitely a compromise over the 40mm; 40mm is much less noticeable in every way and just as nice

Also, my wife says the 44mm looks better on me although the 40mm is a more natural feeling and less obtrusive. I really wanted a fitness watch, so the 44mm fills this role at the cost of comfort and weight because I need the added battery life and display readability since I use the screen with all the extra complications. Pick your poison, 42mm would have been a perfect compromise as this 44mm is pushing into the ulnar bone on my wrist. After a couple of days the discomfort is noticeably less though. Form over function my friends. For those into fashion, I guess 44mm is the way to go.

I still believe 40mm Apple Watch is a solid choice too for people into fitness without using the LTE function and not using the crazy screen with 8+ complications (which I prefer)... assuming it doesn't risk draining the battery before the end of the day. Again, my choice is SS and sapphire (although not as true to sapphire as could be) it's better than the alternative in terms of scratches on the display... aluminum variant. My Series 1 38mm has scratches all over it. The sapphire crystal in a similar time period still looks flawless.

I'm upgrading from the series 1 38mm and there was an adjustment period for me due to size/weight. I made the choice on functionality, not gender and wrist size. However, I understand getting the larger size as a fashion piece for some folks... to each their own.

Spend your money as you see fit, way overpriced in my opinion for 44mm or 40mm, but glad to be able to afford it for my application.
[doublepost=1555537134][/doublepost]While not my first pick, the 44mm does make a nice fashion piece :p

Attachments

• IMG_0301 3.jpg
    IMG_0301 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6,630
Last edited:
Reactions: Baldrake

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Here's a shot of the 44mm and 40mm SS watches on the same wrist. Again, I'm at wrist size of 7.25"/185mm on the right arm (I'm ambidextrous, but prefer wearing watch on the right wrist.); my height is about 5'10"... 70". Get what's comfortable. I'm reluctantly leaning towards sacrificing overall comfort for the larger screen and battery life since I do use the LTE service on the watch so I don't need to carry a cell phone (my compromise) and enjoy the larger screen area; if not for that, 40mm would have easily been my choice. Not an easy choice to make, but I am getting use to the added weight and slight discomfort. The 44mm is definitely a compromise over the 40mm; 40mm is much less noticeable in every way and just as nice

Also, my wife says the 44mm looks better on me although the 40mm is a more natural feeling and less obtrusive. I really wanted a fitness watch, so the 44mm fills this role at the cost of comfort and weight because I need the added battery life and display readability since I use the screen with all the extra complications. Pick your poison, 42mm would have been a perfect compromise as this 44mm is pushing into the ulnar bone on my wrist. After a couple of days the discomfort is noticeably less though. Form over function my friends. For those into fashion, I guess 44mm is the way to go.

I still believe 40mm Apple Watch is a solid choice too for people into fitness without using the LTE function and not using the crazy screen with 8+ complications (which I prefer)... assuming it doesn't risk draining the battery before the end of the day. Again, my choice is SS and sapphire (although not as true to sapphire as could be) it's better than the alternative in terms of scratches on the display... aluminum variant. My Series 1 38mm has scratches all over it. The sapphire crystal in a similar time period still looks flawless.

I'm upgrading from the series 1 38mm and there was an adjustment period for me due to size/weight. I made the choice on functionality, not gender and wrist size. However, I understand getting the larger size as a fashion piece for some folks... to each their own.

Spend your money as you see fit, way overpriced in my opinion for 44mm or 40mm, but glad to be able to afford it for my application.
[doublepost=1555537134][/doublepost]While not my first pick, the 44mm does make a nice fashion piece :p
I forgot to mention that I prefer the medium/small loop on the last setting of the 44mm opposed to the fourth to fifth hole on the medium/large strap of the 44mm. Not being one of those people that wears shoes bigger than their feet to prove my manhood lol :p

Last edited:

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
The weird thing about choosing the size is that it is only about a $30 difference, which I think is a small cost for added screen size and battery life.

I tried asking a question about right handed wearers, but couldn't figure it out myself either.... Is there a way to put the time on the upper left side of watch rather than right side?
I know you can adjust time shown either up or down on right side, but since I wear it on my right wrist I want it on the left due to wearing long sleeve and jackets all day at work.

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
The weird thing about choosing the size is that it is only about a $30 difference, which I think is a small cost for added screen size and battery life.

I tried asking a question about right handed wearers, but couldn't figure it out myself either.... Is there a way to put the time on the upper left side of watch rather than right side?
I know you can adjust time shown either up or down on right side, but since I wear it on my right wrist I want it on the left due to wearing long sleeve and jackets all day at work.

Costs were a $50 difference between 40mm and 44mm on my end going for the SS model. Good point you make with the watch face favoring time to the right side of the screen for some settings/watch faces. I live in Florida and usually wear short sleeves, so this has really been an issue or concern for me. Wish I could be more helpful :-/

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
Small skinny wrists. Also a short petite female. I have a 40mm gold aluminum. Was never even a question for me as I wanted a watch I barely noticed was there. Still need to put sport band on the second smallest hole. But the size and weight is perfect - with a sports loop or a third party sports band (softer and thinner than OEM sports band) I don’t even notice I have the watch on; ideal for me during daily workouts or while sleeping.

I don’t need to use LTE daily, but I do like to use the Infograph/Infograph Modular faces, and use it a lot. I wear my watch almost 24/7 except for when charging in AM after gym while I get ready for work and in evening while I shower or watch TV and that seems to be enough for me. I do keep a spare charger at work though just in case so I can charge for a bit while I am at my desk if needed.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I went to BB today as I was not sure what size to buy based on discussions here. My wrist size is 175mm. Not big, not small, but average. I'm glad I did not order the 40mm, because it looked too small on my wrist at BB. The 44 is a perfect size for my wrist size. I agree with so many others, that pictures make it look too large. I am not a big guy nor with big forearms, etc. I'm 5'10". I couldn't pass up the $50 off at BB either

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I went to BB today as I was not sure what size to buy based on discussions here. My wrist size is 175mm. Not big, not small, but average. I'm glad I did not order the 40mm, because it looked too small on my wrist at BB. The 44 is a perfect size for my wrist size. I agree with so many others, that pictures make it look too large. I am not a big guy nor with big forearms, etc. I'm 5'10". I couldn't pass up the $50 off at BB either
I got my Nike Plus Aluminium 44mm watch at Best Buy on Thursday too because of the $50 sale! Perfect timing too as I went onto their website today and that sale is no more.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
72890ED8-16C6-4E4B-8239-2D1CA3037538.jpeg

I went for the 40mm, got it on Monday there and the 44mm just looked ridiculously over sized on me, in fact it looked almost gimmicky.

I have large hands but thin wrists, and the 40mm (pictured) just looks more like a watch (to me anyway).

Brilliant device regardless of size though.

dereknas

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2014
To me 40mm is about the form and 44mm is about the battery.

40mm is just nice for me but I do need to charge daily. I'm ending the day between 50% to 60% whereas I read that 44mm can end the day with 70%+. Just wished they could just have the same battery life regardless of the size.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I'm happy with my smaller size. I have worn my wife's larger one, and I don't read it any better. (There are some apps that I need to pull out my reading glasses — but they are the same apps for each Apple Watch 4). And the smaller size fits my arm better.

Nishant

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
PA
Just bought my wife a 40mm last week, will be getting a 44mm for myself when I find a good deal

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
I just bought the 4 series SS SB 44mm with the Milanese loop for $50 off and a bunch of extras for a killer deal through Verizon. I'll probably alternate between that one and my 3 series AW.

Reactions: nikkisharif

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
My followup with the 44mm as promised. This is the initial fit. I'll wear it for a week and see how it fairs out. I'm not a big fan of the added heft and I have descent sized arms if anyone's keeping track (18"), so it is not that I can't handle the extra weight. I'm use to feeling balanced in activities that require agility, and it throws off my sense of weight distribution. I'll probably get over it in the next week or so. The added screen real estate is great, but the watch does feel more like an old school Casio watch calculator. Also, I do feel the added weight and width seems to dig more into the ulnar bone above the hand. My main use for the watch is training/tracking, so as long as the added size doesn't interfere with that, I'll probably hold onto it assuming the battery life can hold up.

Agree with the points. How about it’s potential to get scratch / hit accidentally because its larger size?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Anyone else find the 44mm in space grey looks a bit bulbous? The all black screen with the near black frame, looks like a black mass on my wrist.

On the other hand, a 44mm in SS looks great. Not sure if it’s $400 better looking though.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I went with 44mm. Upgraded from a 42mm S3, which itself was an upgrade from a 42mm original. So I’ve got years (and $$) of bands collected that I wanted to reuse.

Besides, my 50 year old eyes approve of the enormous screen on the 44mm model.

My wife has a 38mm S3, which is simply too small for me — I’m not that tall, but I have thick wrists. My son has the 40mm S4, and while I could live with it, I’m happier with the 44mm.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
My Mum, who has tiny wrists, bought the exact same watch as me, the 44mm Nike+ Aluminium model as she preferred the bigger screen.

She’s loving it.

Reactions: nikkisharif
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.