Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My wrist is only 184 mm in diameter and I'd be coming from a Fitbit Versa 2 (which I have been happy with). Should I target a 40 mm or 44 mm Apple Watch 6?
184 mm is considered moderately large.

One rule of thumb suggests >175 mm wrist would be 44 mm case and <160 mm wrist would be 40 mm case.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
It's really just personal preference.

The typical men's wristwatch in the 1940s and 1950s was about 34-35mm in diameter. It wasn't until the early Sixties that wristwatches started to grow larger, starting with men's sport designs such as chronographs and diver's watches.

And then they exploded in the 2000s.

If you compare an Omega Seamaster or Rolex Submariner from the Fifties to the models being sold today, the ones from the Fifties are quite small.

It's not like human wrists grew wider by 30-40% in the past century.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Does the battery on the 44 last noticeably longer than on the 40? Just trying to figure if other than screen size if there's other key differences I'm missing (aside from the 30 bucks).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Does the battery on the 44 last noticeably longer than on the 40? Just trying to figure if other than screen size if there's other key differences I'm missing (aside from the 30 bucks).
Some say yes.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the comments. After all my back and forth, I decided on the 44 mm size. However, I did the SE instead of the 6. Coming from my Versa 2, I think it will still be a nice upgrade and I got the SE 44 mm for $260 (pre-tax). Unless i'm off base, I don't think I'll miss the always on and additional oxygen and ECG features. Nice to have, but $$$ more.

Reactions: Prpolo

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I have 165mm (6.5") wrists, and I think I moved up to the larger case size when the S3 came out. Never looked back, and my S4, S5, and S6 watches were also the larger size. Some may say it looks too big on me, but I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, I just know I like the larger face size and it's very comfortable on me. If anyone out in public is side-eyeing me about how big my watch is at this point with what's going on in the world, they need something better to do for sure. :)

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the comments. I wound up getting the 44 mm SE last night. Seems sized right to me I guess. Not sure yet if I will add a bumper or other protector that may expand it a bit, I only put a skin on the screen so far.

Attachments

• 20201222_182208648_iOS.jpg
    20201222_182208648_iOS.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 344

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Thanks for the comments. I wound up getting the 44 mm SE last night. Seems sized right to me I guess. Not sure yet if I will add a bumper or other protector that may expand it a bit, I only put a skin on the screen so far.
Looks great!! No need for a bumper, in my opinion...they take whacks pretty well overall, and bumpers change the whole look of the watch.

Reactions: dmk1974

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have 165mm (6.5") wrists, and I think I moved up to the larger case size when the S3 came out. Never looked back, and my S4, S5, and S6 watches were also the larger size. Some may say it looks too big on me, but I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, I just know I like the larger face size and it's very comfortable on me. If anyone out in public is side-eyeing me about how big my watch is at this point with what's going on in the world, they need something better to do for sure. :)
Personal preference is king with this sort of thing and as long as you are happy with the look, that’s the main thing. My wrists are the same size as yours and I’ve got a 40mm S5. I had a 38mm S2 before that and prefer the smaller look. There is no right answer to what is best as we all have different tastes :).

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
This is a 40mm on a 155mm wrist.

By the book it fits, but something about it feels small. Does a small watch accentuate and make my small wrists look smaller?

I do have very flat wrists, and thinking maybe 44mm?
Thoughts?

View attachment 1698143

And here's the 44mm...it does feel much bulkier and unstable unless I cinch it tight. More so given it's the heavier stainless steel model.

And it definitely looks like a screen slapped on my wrist versus a watch.
I'm thinking 40mm.

IMG_5898.jpg

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
And here's the 44mm...it does feel much bulkier and unstable unless I cinch it tight. More so given it's the heavier stainless steel model.

I'm thinking 40mm.

View attachment 1700936
You have a very small wrist at 155 mm. 44 mm looks monstrously large on you in that picture.

Both my wife and I have 172 mm wrists.

40 mm is perfect. It feels like a watch. I think 42 mm would probably work too. I don't have a 44 mm to try, but while I think we could probably get away with it, I think the sizing of the 40 mm is quite decent on our wrists.

However, I think all these watches are too thick. I wish the Apple Watch were 3 mm thinner.

Reactions: mgscheue

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You have a very small wrist at 155 mm. 44 mm looks monstrously large on you in that picture.

Both my wife and I have 172 mm wrists.

40 mm is perfect. It feels like a watch. I think 42 mm would probably work too. I don't have a 44 mm to try, but while I think we could probably get away with it, I think the sizing of the 40 mm is quite decent on our wrists.

However, I think all these watches are too thick. I wish the Apple Watch were 3 mm thinner.

Yeah I wish this were the case as well. Unfortunately the thinner it gets, the less room for battery.

I’m able to wear some larger traditional watches if it’s not too thick. A round case shape helps as well.
As much as I’d like to see if they could make a round face Apple Watch work, I’m not holding my breath. I do see a thinner watch but only if they manage to keep battery life the same.

SyfoDyas

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Hi all,

I'd like to join the gang and ask your opinion if you don't mind. I treated myself to the S6 44mm yesterday but am having slight doubts. My Mum has the S6 40mm so I was able to take comparison photos as best as possible.

Wrist diameter 175mm.

I know its personal preference but I'm really struggling.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    679 KB · Views: 486
  • 1.png
    1.png
    596 KB · Views: 460
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Hi all,

I'd like to join the gang and ask your opinion if you don't mind. I treated myself to the S6 44mm yesterday but am having slight doubts. My Mum has the S6 40mm so I was able to take comparison photos as best as possible.

Wrist diameter 175mm.

I know its personal preference but I'm really struggling.

Thanks everyone.
Frankly, at 175mm your wrist is big enough that you can go with either.

IMO, I’d give the 40mm a slight nod, but it’s what you’re comfortable with.

StellarOdin

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Arizona
Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.
Always go for the 44 :) My wife got the 40, but when she realized the size of the 44, though bigger, is by no means a monstrosity (and she does have small wrists), she regretted not going for the 44mm.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Always go for the 44 :) My wife got the 40, but when she realized the size of the 44, though bigger, is by no means a monstrosity (and she does have small wrists), she regretted not going for the 44mm.
It depends on the person though. The 44mm looks and feels huge on my wrists and that would mean I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. For some the 40mm looks too small but none of us are identical. My wife is 5’2” and tiny and a 44mm would be massive too. I think this thread illustrates that seeing the different watches on each person is the only real way we can share an honest opinion.

Reactions: StellarOdin

StellarOdin

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Arizona
It depends on the person though. The 44mm looks and feels huge on my wrists and that would mean I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. For some the 40mm looks too small but none of us are identical. My wife is 5’2” and tiny and a 44mm would be massive too. I think this thread illustrates that seeing the different watches on each person is the only real way we can share an honest opinion.
Absolutely true - it all is personal preference. I just wanted to share my wife's thoughts on the subject. She's 5'3" 115 pounds with small wrists, and wishes she had gone with the 44mm. 4 mm is not a significant difference (certainly noticeable), but if you're using the watch to display as much info as easily readable as possible, the larger the better, IMO.

SyfoDyas

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Frankly, at 175mm your wrist is big enough that you can go with either.

IMO, I’d give the 40mm a slight nod, but it’s what you’re comfortable with.
Thank you for your reply @satchmo !

I feel like the 44mm *may* be *slightly* too big, so I'm tempted to return it.

I'll have a think. I'm not usually this indecisive, but its a big expense so want to get it right.

I found when I set the 44mm watch face to something other than a black face, I was self conscious of the size.

It's difficult as I've not worn a watch for around 10 years so feel my frame of reference is completely shot!

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply @satchmo !

I feel like the 44mm *may* be *slightly* too big, so I'm tempted to return it.

I'll have a think. I'm not usually this indecisive, but its a big expense so want to get it right.

I found when I set the 44mm watch face to something other than a black face, I was self conscious of the size.

It's difficult as I've not worn a watch for around 10 years so feel my frame of reference is completely shot!
By dress watch standards the 44 mm is very big. The thickness doesn't help either. However, it's not a dress watch of course so lots of people like the bigger size, esp. when their wrists are above 170 mm.

However, my wife and I are both at about 172 mm, and we both really like the size of our 40 mm Watches.

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
I have a 165mm wrist and the 40mm watch fits great. Coming from the 42mm I thought it would be too small but I like it

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016

I'm thinking 40mm.

View attachment 1700936
This looks big. I tried on the 44mm, it just wants to rotate around my wrist, so I opted for the 40mm. Feels more like a watch. And since I have to workout and sleep with one, the 40mm is much lighter and more comfortable. I'm happy with my choice.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I thought the 44m SE would show the time bigger when set on largest text size compared to my 40m series 4. They are the same size, and the series 4 is brighter. What’s up with that? They are both set up for max brightness, max text, and bold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.