Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I tried to use the Pro’s for some time and found them painful. I assumed it was the foam tips.

Was really looking forward to the new AirPods and was relieved they didn’t have the foam tips. Sadly I’ve found they hurt just as much. They just feel really big in my ears and after an hour or so the pain starts.

Does anyone else have this problem? It’s so weird because all the reviews say how amazingly comfortable they are. I feel really disappointed.

Reactions: MacRealist91

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2018
I’ve only used them for a few hours, but I’m beginning to feel the same way.

It feels like they should be resting deeper in the ear.. but the shape of my ears prevents them from sitting properly.

Reactions: MacRealist91

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Oh man -- I was worried they may have made the "bulb" too big compared to the AP1/AP2

You guys are confirming my fears here.

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
EFD70948-EDD0-4E94-A025-D1D4E878A651.jpeg

When you look at them side by side like that it’s actually no wonder they hurt haha.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I am glad you guys mentioned this. I ordered over the weekend from Simply Mac and their return policy says they don't accept returns for earphones. As much as I like saving $20 (they had a special over the weekend), I wouldn't want to get stuck with these since the APP hurt something awful after about 20-30 min of wearing them. I emailed their CS to see what they would do in that case and if there's no way to get a refund, I'll be ordering from Apple. Plus Simply Mac said they won't be shipping until mid-to-late November.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I ordered over the weekend from Simply Mac and their return policy says they don't accept returns for earphones.
Cancel your order and go direct to Apple.

These fit my ears perfectly, I've had them in for hours today and I simply can't feel them. Original APs and AP2s always rattled around in my ears and were never stable.

Reactions: sfrangu

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I haven't had a chance to try mine yet, but very curious about this. I love the original design and how they feel weightless (for me) in my ears. I can go hours forgetting they're even there, whereas with the Pros I really dislike the in-ear part of them, causes a bit of pain, which is unfortunate as they're so nice. Really hope this 3rd gen fits me comfortably.

Reactions: redboxcar

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I haven't had a chance to try mine yet, but very curious about this. I love the original design and how they feel weightless (for me) in my ears. I can go hours forgetting they're even there, whereas with the Pros I really dislike the in-ear part of them, causes a bit of pain, which is unfortunate as they're so nice. Really hope this 3rd gen fits me comfortably.
I had this problem with the pros as well and I can’t stand the 3’s. Returning mine. Just hope they keep the 2’s long term!

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I wondered about that. The 3s are significantly larger than the 2s. I think there will be far more people who can’t wear the 3s than ever had a problem with the 2s.

As for me, I had no problems with the 2s and am looking forward to the 3s because I don’t have to stick silicone tips into my ears.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I had this problem with the pros as well and I can’t stand the 3’s. Returning mine. Just hope they keep the 2’s long term!

Not nearly as bad as the Pros I returned but some definite ear cartilage discomfort after extended use. Will be making full use of the 14 day return window to see if it settles down.

Damn, I’ve been so excited for these but now I’m getting nervous, lol.

Reactions: johnyslats

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
So far the 3s have been the most comfortable earbud I have ever used, but they have only been in my ears a couple hours. This is the first time I can say I almost feel as nothing is there!

michaelrdk

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
They just feel really big in my ears and after an hour or so the pain starts.

I received mine 7 hours ago and have had them in my ears almost since. I’m very impressed with the sound quality, but in the first hour I had the same experience as you. They felt a lot bigger than my previous 1. gen.

However, when I looked in a mirror I realized the stems was pointing more forward/towards my mouth. I changed the angle more downwards, so now the stems are basically resting on my earlobes. This changed the feel a lot for me and I hardly notice them in my ears now.

I don’t know how you wear yours, but just be aware that changing the angle can improve the fit too.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ugh. Mine haven't arrived yet but this thread isn't helping me feel optimistic at all. The minute I started seeing rumors about this redesign I started dreading that they weren't going to fit as comfortably as the original design and now it looks like it might be the case for many people who want the latest updates. I hope mine fit comfortably enough. If not, back they go and I'll take advantage of those Black Friday deals and get some AirPods 2 for $90. At least the H1 chip remains the same in both of these models.

They should've just shortened the stem on the original ones and added whatever new features were possible within that design.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Just got a chance to try them, boy do they feel quite good. Gotta see how they feel for a longer duration now.

Reactions: johnyslats

jonjames505

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
The audio sounded better in my Gen 2's. I feel like the 3's are missing the 'depth' and bass. I will give them a few days. The fit of the Gen 2's sure are hard to beat.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

weddlec

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Gen 1 and 2 fit my ears like they were designed for me. I too was in pain from the pros. I took a chance on these. They also hurt my ears after 2 hours. That and the lack of accelerometer controls means they are going back to Apple.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Yep these hurt me a bit. Less than the pros did but I’ll second or one hundredth the sentiment that if the gen1/2 fit you like a glove then these will probably cause discomfort after a bit. I too feel like the OG were designed for my ear. All we wanted was a bit better sound (which these provide for sure with bass). But I wouldn’t be able to wear these gen 3 for hours. No way. Most likely going back. Oh well. I’ll probably stock up on an extra pair of gen 2 and open them in a year when mine totally die out.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I tried to use the Pro’s for some time and found them painful. I assumed it was the foam tips.

Was really looking forward to the new AirPods and was relieved they didn’t have the foam tips. Sadly I’ve found they hurt just as much. They just feel really big in my ears and after an hour or so the pain starts.

Does anyone else have this problem? It’s so weird because all the reviews say how amazingly comfortable they are. I feel really disappointed.
The reviewers are sheep. They have to say good things to continue to be in apples good graces and get products to make all their videos to make money. Yes these fit more snug but it’s like sticking a giant marble in my ear. I can wear the gen 1/2 for hours and often forget they’re even there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.