Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The reviewers are sheep. They have to say good things to continue to be in apples good graces and get products to make all their videos to make money.

Truer words have never been spoken.

It’s amazing to me anyone references anything the Apple review ecosystem says.
It’s just a huge PR armada meant to generate oozy FOMO videos/content

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I thought I would have problems with this, and at first I was uncomfortably aware that the AirPod Pros were in my ear, but I've totally tuned them out now. However if they actually hurt, you aren't likely to be able to tune it out.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Truer words have never been spoken.

It’s amazing to me anyone references anything the Apple review ecosystem says.
It’s just a huge PR armada meant to generate oozy FOMO videos/content
There are great reviewers on YouTube. You just have to know who and HINT: you’ll have to wait for them to buy the product themselves and review it days or weeks later.

jenjen80

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2016
Columbus, OH
I have trigeminal neuralgia (the trigeminal nerve gets irritated/inflamed and can cause a headache that’s about 6 billion times more painful than a migraine) and it’s very hard for me to find headphones or earphones that don’t start to cause pain within 30 minutes or so. The gen 1 & 2 AirPods fit me perfectly, the Pro was terrible for me, and about 2.5 hours using the 3 today did not bother me one bit.

Last edited:

BB-8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
New Zealand
I loved the fit of the AirPods 1, and I've never tried the AirPod Pros as I've never had any luck with previous in-ear earphones and didn't want to risk anything.

The AirPods 3... the right one fits fine, no qualms. The left one did make my ear ache a little bit at first, but I basically just kept on wearing it to see if I'd get used to it. It probably is a slight bit too large for my ear or something.

I wish Apple kinda just left it alone TBH. Those original Gen 1's felt truly invisible in my ears.

Last edited:

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
I’ve only used them for a few hours, but I’m beginning to feel the same way.

It feels like they should be resting deeper in the ear.. but the shape of my ears prevents them from sitting properly.
I initially felt the same way. But I didn't push them in as far as I initially did, and quickly realized how comfortable they are and they don't dislodge if I move my head or bend down.

And the sound is so much better than my Airpods 2. A much more enveloping and balanced sound, even with more ambient noise than my AP2.

I simply love these and am so glad I got them. The spatial audio, on Atmos tracks, is very good.

Apple really should have made a point to tell us that these may initially feel like they aren't in far enough, but I'm sure that is the way they are supposed to feel. Seriously and unexpectedly, these may be the best Apple product I got this year.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
Same here on giving them a go for the return window. Not as bad as the Pros but some slight discomfort. Going to try with them in shallow as they don't fall out. May have pushed them in too far.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Cancel your order and go direct to Apple.

These fit my ears perfectly, I've had them in for hours today and I simply can't feel them. Original APs and AP2s always rattled around in my ears and were never stable.
Yep, that’s what I did and I’m glad. They don’t hurt as bad as the APP but they aren’t as comfortable as the AP2s. Going to give it a week and see how my ears deal with them because the sound is way better than the AP2s for me.

Reactions: sfrangu

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Slightly disappointed with the fit. EarPods and AirPods 1 & 2 were perfect in my ears. Could not stand AirPods Pro. These fall somewhere in the middle, definitely more comfortable than AirPods Pro but still feel like they are going to fall out when eating/chewing. I like having them on during my lunch break so that's no good. I tried rotating them so that they point downwards more which helped a little but still not quite sold. I'll give a week or so but might return these and get a new pair of AirPods 2 that will last me for a few years.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Not nearly as bad as the Pros I returned but some definite ear cartilage discomfort after extended use. Will be making full use of the 14 day return window to see if it settles down.
Same here. I knew very early on I didn’t like the Pros. That was mostly due to the tips and the closing off of outside noise creating pressure in my ears. I’ve only worn these a few hours but find myself wanting to take them out more to itch my ear than the 2’s. Starting to worry that I might not be able to keep these, but also could just be a “breaking in” period for my ears to get use to the new shape/comfort.

Reactions: johnyslats

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Slightly disappointed with the fit. EarPods and AirPods 1 & 2 were perfect in my ears. Could not stand AirPods Pro. These fall somewhere in the middle, definitely more comfortable than AirPods Pro but still feel like they are going to fall out when eating/chewing. I like having them on during my lunch break so that's no good. I tried rotating them so that they point downwards more which helped a little but still not quite sold. I'll give a week or so but might return these and get a new pair of AirPods 2 that will last me for a few years.
thinking about doing the same in terms of buying another pair of AP2. kinda pissed that apple technically discontinued the ap2 “with wireless case”. it seems your only option is the one without it and have to buy the case separately.

blemmo

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Calgary
I have trigeminal neuralgia (the trigeminal nerve gets irritated/inflamed and can cause a headache that’s about 6 billion times more painful than a migraine) and it’s very hard for me to find headphones or earphones that don’t start to cause pain within 30 minutes or so. The gen 1 & 2 AirPods fit me perfectly, the Pro was terrible for me, and about 2.5 hours using the 3 today did not bother me one bit.
I’m so happy to hear that!! I had some trouble with the 3rd gen as well, which is why I’m lurking on this thread.
I’m just happy Apple kept the second gen. Mine are dying and need replacing, I tried the 3 and returned them within 4 hours, so much pain.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
thinking about doing the same in terms of buying another pair of AP2. kinda pissed that apple technically discontinued the ap2 “with wireless case”. it seems your only option is the one without it and have to buy the case separately.
You can still get them on Amazon.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I'm trying to power through because the sound is just mile better than the 2s. I'm going to use them for the 13 days I have left and see if it improves, but the pain in my ear and even my jaw isn't improving. After 20 min it's about the same as the APP. So, so disappointing.

Reactions: Canyonero

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
When you look at them side by side like that it’s actually no wonder they hurt haha.
I kept my AirPods 2 instead of AirPods Pro for the same reason as you. My AirPods 3 arrive today and I was hoping the same thing—maybe without silicone tips, it won't be as uncomfortable—but this photo is making me worried. I hope they arrive soon so I can test them out! I really want them for the shorter stem and spatial audio.

sfrangu

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
They really do not need to be pushed all the way in the ear. They sit comfortably at the entrance of the auditive canal and the sound is amazing that way. I wouldn't even try to push them in so far it hurts.

Reactions: one more

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
They really do not need to be pushed all the way in the ear. They sit comfortably at the entrance of the auditive canal and the sound is amazing that way. I wouldn't even try to push them in so far it hurts.
Great that they’re a good fit for you but I don’t think it’s a case of anyone actually pushing these too far in. As said before, everyone’s ear shape is different and the bulbous nature of the Gen 3’s is just incompatible with many people’s ears ??‍♂️. In my case the pain isn’t in the ear canal at all but in the ear cartilage even when “they sit”

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Everyone has a different shaped ear canal. Having the option of different sized tips improves the chance of finding a good fit. One size fits all rarely does. People having problems with fit issues would probably do better getting the AirPods Pros and experimenting with different sizes and tip materials (silicone vs foam), not hoping that the hard plastic shape of the new version will fit them better.

If they can't tolerate anything in their ears, they should just get over the ear headphones.

sfrangu

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Great that they’re a good fit for you but I don’t think it’s a case of anyone actually pushing these too far in. As said before, everyone’s ear shape is different and the bulbous nature of the Gen 3’s is just incompatible with many people’s ears ??‍♂️. In my case the pain isn’t in the ear canal at all but in the ear cartilage even when “they sit”
Of course we're all different, hence our ears are very different from one person to another. Wasn't talking about that. So this is one thread where every poster should agree with the OP. Great then.

Btw, I didn't say they're a great fit for me. They're ok. The Pros are a better fit for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.