Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Of course we're all different, hence our ears are very different from one person to another. Wasn't talking about that. So this is one thread where every poster should agree with the OP. Great then.

Btw, I didn't say they're a great fit for me. They're ok. The Pros are a better fit for me.

I agree that a variety of opinions is required in the thread and never suggested otherwise. Perhaps a bit more clarity in your original post would’ve helped. It came across a bit “You’re holding it wrong” from the iPhone 4 era. Wasn’t having a go

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

sfrangu

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
I agree that a variety of opinions is required in the thread and never suggested otherwise. Perhaps a bit more clarity in your original post would’ve helped. It came across a bit “You’re holding it wrong” from the iPhone 4 era. Wasn’t having a go
LOL!! I've had only iPhones since the 3G and never heard that.
Also, other advices around here were about the direction of wearing the AP3, with the stem pointing down rather than forward. I think it's a good advice since I've seen numerous people wearing them pointing forward. So, no advice is in vain.

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
The original Airpods are really comfortable but hang a little loose so I can't run or exercise with them. The Airpods 3 are much more secure but not quite as comfortable either as they're tighter. Something in between the two sizes would probably be ideal for me. Too bad Apple doesn't make multiple sizes to choose from.

Karl407

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
I tried to use the Pro’s for some time and found them painful. I assumed it was the foam tips.

Was really looking forward to the new AirPods and was relieved they didn’t have the foam tips. Sadly I’ve found they hurt just as much. They just feel really big in my ears and after an hour or so the pain starts.

Does anyone else have this problem? It’s so weird because all the reviews say how amazingly comfortable they are. I feel really disappointed.
AirPods 3 start to hurt after a few hours. Gen 1 and Gen 2 fit well, stayed in, and I could forget they were in. Never tried the Pros. I'll try to get used to Gen 3 during the 14 day return window. I hope they work for me as I like the sound.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
There are great reviewers on YouTube. You just have to know who and HINT: you’ll have to wait for them to buy the product themselves and review it days or weeks later.
Right, if it says paid promotion or use my codes, even If they say it’s an unbiased review, it’s not.

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
I tried to use the Pro’s for some time and found them painful. I assumed it was the foam tips.

Was really looking forward to the new AirPods and was relieved they didn’t have the foam tips. Sadly I’ve found they hurt just as much. They just feel really big in my ears and after an hour or so the pain starts.

Does anyone else have this problem? It’s so weird because all the reviews say how amazingly comfortable they are. I feel really disappointed.
I felt the Airpods pro to be much more comfortable than any other earbuds but have to check with the Airpods 3

Reactions: sfrangu

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I have the gen 2 and for some weird reason only the right ear one hurts me after a while. I have small ears. I ordered the gen 3 and when I first opened the case and I saw them, I thought "oh geez, these things seem huge!' But if you look at one of the pics above, or if you have a pair of 2's and 3's and compare, you will see that the 2's are more round, while the 3's are more an oval but longer making them look bigger but are actually narrower.

A lot of people make the mistake that they have to *dig* these things into their ear canals to get good sound and that's why they end up hurting after a while. They are suppose to just *sit* in the ear canal, and push the sound to your ear drums. When I did this with the 3's it felt they were too loose but to my surprise after shaking my head vigorously, they did not fall out and the sound was very nice.

Everyone's ears are different of course, but if you are having pain make sure you don't dig them into your ears and just sit them, and turn them so that the stem is at an angle hooked into the small dip in at the bottom of your ear facing toward your nose. (Hard to explain). If you look in the tips app, it will show a diagram of how you are supposed to wear them.
GOOD LUCK!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm only a few hours into my AP3's

I think I'm lucky on my ear shape as they fit without any pain.

But -- they definitely feel a lot more present in my ear, which I don't love (at all).

I'm fairly mixed at this point.

They sound fantastic, but a big part of what I've always loved and the "magic" of AP1/AP2's is how they truly disappear and it's like you're wearing nothing at all.

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
It seems like such a huge gamble for Apple considering how ridiculously popular the original shape was. I also find these uncomfortable in my ears but damn…the sound is fantastic. I will give them a week and hope I adjust. Ear enlargement surgery perhaps?

sfrangu

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
I have the gen 2 and for some weird reason only the right ear one hurts me after a while. I have small ears. I ordered the gen 3 and when I first opened the case and I saw them, I thought "oh geez, these things seem huge!' But if you look at one of the pics above, or if you have a pair of 2's and 3's and compare, you will see that the 2's are more round, while the 3's are more an oval but longer making them look bigger but are actually narrower.

A lot of people make the mistake that they have to *dig* these things into their ear canals to get good sound and that's why they end up hurting after a while. They are suppose to just *sit* in the ear canal, and push the sound to your ear drums. When I did this with the 3's it felt they were too loose but to my surprise after shaking my head vigorously, they did not fall out and the sound was very nice.

Everyone's ears are different of course, but if you are having pain make sure you don't dig them into your ears and just sit them, and turn them so that the stem is at an angle hooked into the small dip in at the bottom of your ear facing toward your nose. (Hard to explain). If you look in the tips app, it will show a diagram of how you are supposed to wear them.
GOOD LUCK!
Ooooh, just wait for the comments coming now, that you think people are pushing them into their ears. They cannot be pushed into the ear canal (which is a canal, inside the external ear) but they sit outside it, nicely at the entrance of the ear canal. They can, though, be forced a bit at that entrance and that must be uncomfortable.
Yes, even without the silicon tips of the Pros, the 3s are still not falling out and they sound great.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
It is a relief to know I'm not crazy having the ear pain issue with the 3's. Never had a problem with the Gen 1 & 2's, but returned the Pro's after 2 days due to similar ear pain. I was excited for the 3's because they looked slightly smaller than the Pro's. Ear pain started after 2 hours or so, compared to 10-15 minutes on the Pro's. Going to try riding it out and see if they get better before the 14 days are up. Fingers crossed.

Like others have stated, if they were just *slightly* smaller, they'd be a much better fit. I'd even been okay with losing an hour or more of battery life if it meant they could rest comfortably in my ear. I can't stand when people say "well just return them and get something else." :rolleyes: If Apple ever decides to open up their proprietary Bluetooth chip (H1) and allow features like spatial audio from third-party manufacturers, I'd gladly hop off the Apple audio train. For now, this is what we're stuck with. Just hope they don't stop making the 2's for years to come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I'm really curious where they go next. If they attempt the full in-ear earbud style with no stem at all, that's just going to make them even larger in the ear, making them hurt more.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Returned mine today and picked up a spare set of the Gen 2 WITH wireless case for a discounted $159. I’ll probably open them up in a few months and they’ll last another 3-4 years or until apple comes out with something different.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
I have the same issue with AirPods Pro and Gen 3 - fit is uncomfortable for long wear.

Going to give a try to the Beats Fit Pro on Friday to see if that works better. Too bad the case doesn't look as "pocketable" as the AirPods though.

This is what I'm doing as well. Returning the 3's today. I gave it a week, wearing them for 4-5 hours a day, and I couldn't get the pain to subside at all. Hoping the Beats Fit Pro are a better fit (no pun intended). Like I stated before, if they'd decreased the size by like 10-15%, these would've been perfect.

• Love

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My AP3's are going back today also.
I wish they'd kept the bulb size down a bit.

After several days of usage, I never really enjoyed the feeling of having them in.
The sound was great, but if I don't like how they feel, it's the wrong product (particularly since I have AP2's already)

I can leave AP2's in my ears and forget they are in there.
AP3's -- I was always happy to take them out. It wasn't "awful", but never did I forget they were in there.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
My AP3's are going back today also.
I wish they'd kept the bulb size down a bit.

After several days of usage, I never really enjoyed the feeling of having them in.
The sound was great, but if I don't like how they feel, it's the wrong product (particularly since I have AP2's already)

I can leave AP2's in my ears and forget they are in there.
AP3's -- I was always happy to take them out. It wasn't "awful", but never did I forget they were in there.
This seems to be the common consensus among most that are returning them including myself. They’re just big enough to kind of hurt and unable to forget they’re in the ears. They need a smaller size for those of us whos ears were perfect for the OG pods but would like some of the tech upgrades.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
This seems to be the common consensus among most that are returning them including myself. They’re just big enough to kind of hurt and unable to forget they’re in the ears. They need a smaller size for those of us whos ears were perfect for the OG pods but would like some of the tech upgrades.
I returned mine as well for the reasons you state. By good god that spatial audio with my iPad was legit. It sounded like the audio was coming out of the device. Super cool technology.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I returned mine as well for the reasons you state. By good god that spatial audio with my iPad was legit. It sounded like the audio was coming out of the device. Super cool technology.
The Beatles tracks that Apple has remastered for Dolby Atmos / Spacial Audio are FREAKY!!! Sitting at my kitchen island, it sounds like they're standing on it singing (if you have a kitchen stool that rotates, give it a spin) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.