Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon89

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
My AP3's are going back today also.
I wish they'd kept the bulb size down a bit.

After several days of usage, I never really enjoyed the feeling of having them in.
The sound was great, but if I don't like how they feel, it's the wrong product (particularly since I have AP2's already)

I can leave AP2's in my ears and forget they are in there.
AP3's -- I was always happy to take them out. It wasn't "awful", but never did I forget they were in there.
I think I'm going to return mine for exactly the same reason. They start off comfortable but after 15mins or so, you notice them sat in your ears and it's quite distracting.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think I'm going to return mine for exactly the same reason. They start off comfortable but after 15mins or so, you notice them sat in your ears and it's quite distracting.

Exactly my experience.

I suppose on their own in a world where other options didn't exist I'd maybe grow used to it? (maybe?)

But compared to my AP2 it was a no brainer return.

Even just a couple days in, when going to grab something to listen to a quick podcast I was reaching for my AP2, instead of the AP3 right next to them. That was game over right there.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I've been reading about the painful Airpods for over a week. I was about to not pick up a pair. I got a pair yesterday and was surprised. I like them more than the Pros. They're really comfortable and sound great. I guess it's one of those items you have to try. No one else is going to know if you'll like them.

anth0ny

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Got back from my local Apple store today with a set. Never owned any AirPods before so I can only comment on my short experience so far.

I know these will not fit certain people and that's just how it is, but for me I got a ton of pain quite quickly whilst constantly trying to wedge them in deeper for fear of them falling out and also messing with the sound. (Not saying others with pain have been doing the same as me)

After reading through this thread I followed the advice of some to just hook them in pointing downwards and so far so good. No pain, really impressive sound and I have jumped about like a nutcase trying to get them to fall out and they won't.

Only on day one though so will keep testing them as much as possible before deciding to keep them.

MacRealist91

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be keeping the 3's. I always found the 1st/2nd gens slightly uncomfortable after extended use. I love the Pro's and can generally sleep in them, however my main issue is that they can feel itchy, like my ears can't "breathe" after a while. The larger size combined with the hard plastic on the 3's created a blister in my ear that was actually bleeding a little. I'll try adjusting the position to see if that makes a difference. So disappointed.

Simon89

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
Do people who have both the 3’s and the Pro’s find they fit subtly different? My 3’s are being collected tomorrow and I’m tempted to try a set of Pros out but don’t want to lock £249 away to test ?

MacRealist91

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Do people who have both the 3’s and the Pro’s find they fit subtly different? My 3’s are being collected tomorrow and I’m tempted to try a set of Pros out but don’t want to lock £249 away to test ?
To me, the Pro's feel more like they are just "resting" in my ear due to the silicone tips actually being in the ear canal, whereas the 3's put more pressure inside of my ears if that makes sense. I feel the hard plastic more.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The reviewers are sheep. They have to say good things to continue to be in apples good graces and get products to make all their videos to make money.

Then what of all the people on this thread saying the same thing? Do you think they're really in pain but are just lying and saying they're comfortable? What's in it for them? LOL! I haven't tried the 3s, but I have the Pros and I think they're very comfortable. It should be self-evident that since each person's ears are unique (outside identical twins, of course), that there will be many who find a particular earbud comfortable and many who won't.

Reactions: sfrangu

anth0ny

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be keeping the 3's. I always found the 1st/2nd gens slightly uncomfortable after extended use. I love the Pro's and can generally sleep in them, however my main issue is that they can feel itchy, like my ears can't "breathe" after a while. The larger size combined with the hard plastic on the 3's created a blister in my ear that was actually bleeding a little. I'll try adjusting the position to see if that makes a difference. So disappointed.
Ah no a blister? I am sorry to hear that, is it possible you don't agree with the plastic as that sounds like quite an extreme reaction?

I am literally just hanging them in my ear super lightly and they don't budge afterwards.

I get the itchy thing with any silicone tips too that are in for a while, I have to remove them and rub in my ear, but once it starts It keeps happening every 5mins which is real annoying.

Early days for me on the 3's. Going to give them a real long go tomorrow to see if I get any pain, but I am going to use them for the 14 days I am allowed to make sure any pain is not just getting used to them.

Reactions: MacRealist91

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I returned the AirPods 3 today and bought a new second generation set. My first generation AirPods have nearly stopped working. The old models feel so much better in my ears and I have no worries they will fall out. Also, I originally wasn’t aware the they took away the tap feature to play/pause and use Siri. I much prefer to tap than to pinch.

Reactions: MacRealist91

anth0ny

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
So after only another hour with the Gen 3 I am getting a tiny bit of pain in my right ear on the tragus, not a lot and it comes and goes so not exactly all the time, but I am not sure it's something I want to live with. I've added a picture as I was interested to see where everyone else is getting pain? I think for me it's where the chunky bud slightly pushes out that Tragus thing.

I am now wondering whether to go for the Pros, but have no experience of these. Would anyone have any experience to advise if they are just as chunky and will it just be the same issue? (Prob just depends on my ears)

ear-anatomy-baby.jpg

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
So after only another hour with the Gen 3 I am getting a tiny bit of pain in my right ear on the tragus, not a lot and it comes and goes so not exactly all the time, but I am not sure it's something I want to live with. I've added a picture as I was interested to see where everyone else is getting pain? I think for me it's where the chunky bud slightly pushes out that Tragus thing.

I am now wondering whether to go for the Pros, but have no experience of these. Would anyone have any experience to advise if they are just as chunky and will it just be the same issue? (Prob just depends on my ears)

View attachment 1903429

Thank you for this picture - this will help everyone to accurately report where they think the new gen3 AirPods hurt them, so others can think about their own ears relatively - those that do not have the luxury to try and return, that is.

Reactions: beach bum

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly

View attachment 1903429
The AirPod Pros do sit more comfortably in the ear, but it is a matter of selecting the correct ear tips. Some have opted to use alternate ear tips than what Apple supplied. If you‘ve worn in-ear/earbuds, that is similar to how the Pros feel and fit.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

View attachment 1903429
I had the exact same issue. Pain in the right ear that came and went but most of my pain from Gen 3 and the pro was at the top ridge of the concha due to pressure from the bulbous design. The Gen1/2 barely touch that area if at all. I’ll guarantee that’s where the majority of people have their pain other than the Tragus.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The AirPod Pros do sit more comfortably in the ear, but it is a matter of selecting the correct ear tips. Some have opted to use alternate ear tips than what Apple supplied. If you‘ve worn in-ear/earbuds, that is similar to how the Pros feel and fit.
That’s not really true. 10+ years ago I used to wear Sony in ear buds all the time for years. The problem those of us have with ear pain with the AP3 or pros is due to the giant bulb design that puts pressure on other parts of the ear. Old in ear buds were much much smaller so they had much less issue for pain other than maybe people not liking something jammed so far in ear.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
That’s not really true. 10+ years ago I used to wear Sony in ear buds all the time for years. The problem those of us have with ear pain with the AP3 or pros is due to the giant bulb design that puts pressure on other parts of the ear. Old in ear buds were much much smaller so they had much less issue for pain other than maybe people not liking something jammed so far in ear.
That's fair; however, I did point out that if he wore in-ear/earbuds previously, that it is similar to how the Pros fit and that others have opted to use alternate ear tips than what Apple provides with the Pros.

Based on the information I provided, I think that he would be able to judge whether or not wearing the Pros for any length of time was tolerable with the provided Apple tips or other.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I had pain with the 3's. I found the Pro's to be a better fit. The smallest tips worked best for me - then replaced them with the comply foam tips (again, the smallest seem like the best fit). No complaints (now) :)

Reactions: sfrangu and anth0ny

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Flying today with my new BFP’s - in love.

Perfect match for my around the house AP2’s

Apple made a rare release of some Beats that “beat” the Apple branded option (APP)

anth0ny

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
I ordered some Pros to see if they fit/sound better than the Gen3. I like the idea of open earbuds and for what they are I think the Gen3 sound brilliant just a shame they cause discomfort.

Flying today with my new BFP’s - in love.

Perfect match for my around the house AP2’s

Apple made a rare release of some Beats that “beat” the Apple branded option (APP)

I'm not really a fan of the beats sound/look and that case looks chunky, but I can see there are many positive reviews. Think I'd be interested to see the upcoming APP before going this route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.