Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Not sure what to think about these. They look really interesting, but I highly doubt they will be a high performance headphone. 5 Hours of battery life.... come on!

Your thoughts??

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
they needed to push a new product to go along with the removal of the headphone jack and i think they failed, IMO. I don't see these hitting big with runners and people who work out. the regular ones don't stay in by themselves with the slightest sweat. i'll stick with my Jaybirds and comply foam tips.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
They look ridiculous and most people are going to lose those incredibly quickly. Running could be a good use if they stay in your ears and are waterproof enough.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They're ugly.
That will likely change as they will become more and more commonplace. Kind of like Apple's original white headphones seemed a bit odd and out of place in the world of slimmer and mostly black headphones that have been around for a long time, and years later they are taken for granted as pretty much a mobile headphone standard.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'll be getting some. 90% of my listening is podcasts so audio quality beyond a certain level is irrelevant to me.

Also, been using BT earphones since 2011 or so (Sony MW600s originally) so the jack(off?) is no issue to me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Fairly standard for them for a whole now. Doesn't seem surprising or strange.

No, definitely I expected it. But I was hoping against hope that they realized not all of us like prancing around with big white things sticking out of our ears, but then again they did buy Beats. I was just hoping for a nice stealth black color.

The design isn't great, I'm really surprised it's that bad when beautiful ones exist like Jaybird. Granted they aren't fully wireless, but I'm having a hard time being convinced why it's so important for the wire between the headphones to not be present. I like hanging them off my neck, and also they feel more secure that way when in my ears. I'm not saying I won't go fully wireless, but those weird kind of stupid looking arms on the earpods look like compromises to me. Do I really want those sticking out of my ears?

Reactions: dhy8386

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, definitely I expected it. But I was hoping against hope that they realized not all of us like prancing around with big white things sticking out of our ears, but then again they did buy Beats. I was just hoping for a nice stealth black color.

The design isn't great, I'm really surprised it's that bad when beautiful ones exist like Jaybird. Granted they aren't fully wireless, but I'm having a hard time being convinced why it's so important for the wire between the headphones to not be present. I like hanging them off my neck, and also they feel more secure that way when in my ears. I'm not saying I won't go fully wireless, but those weird kind of stupid looking arms on the earpods look like compromises to me. Do I really want those sticking out of my ears?
They have a style that is associated with them that many people are happy with so it makes sense to stay with the "brand" (in this case in the sense of design that identifies them).

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Probably Apple's standard headphones, just wireless and with 5 hours of battery.
Definitely not worth 160$.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I don't need yet another thing I need to charge every day. Thankfully for me the headphones Apple provides with the phone are sufficient.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I'll buy these for $159. The design is kinda funny because they look like normal EarPods with no wires. The main draw for me is convenience and ease. I have wireless Bluetooth ones and was considering the Bragi Headphones, not the Bragi Dash, until I saw the price point and ease in pairing/connecting. I just don't want buttons and want fast and easy connection. Hopefully the sound quality is going to be decent enough.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Here we go again...

Apple changes design, releases a new product. Everyone jumps on the hatewagon. People feel disappointed, pissed, and cheated. Time passes. Next thing you know, people begin to like it. Then they love it and can't live without it. It becomes the standard.

I get it. There are advantages to having wired EarPods. There are also many disadvantages. I, for one, hate the wires with a passion. Every time I have to take out the EarPods from my bag or pocket, I am ready to kill someone out of frustration. Untangling these things is a nightmare. Generally speaking, I find them irritating as f***. It is by far the most annoying accessory that I deal with on a daily basis.

Sure, the wireless AirPods may look "funny" and "ugly" to some at first glance, but that's because you're not used to them. It was no different from initially seeing people talk on an iPad (***cough cough*** I meant iPhone 6 Plus ***cough cough***). It looked idiotic, at best, because the size was "ridiculous".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.