Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LilBethan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Are any headphones provided with the iPhone 7? Or are we expected to shell out on the airpods?

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I think are a decent product and it makes sense as to what they are trying to do. I would have liked to have seen them come with some sort of silicon for the piece that is actually in your ear. Smooth plastic doesn't stay in place very well when you are moving around a lot or sweaty.

Reactions: gemnilocs

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Ordering day one. These are the wireless solution I've been waiting for. The fact that it. Intelligently switches to one earpiece mode was the icing on the cake for me as I walk around all day at work with one earphone in waiting for calls.

Let one run down, put it in the case and pull out the other one. With intelligence switching this is perfect for me.

I should note, I'm someone that has never had any issues with the earpods and actually find them ridiculously comfortable, I realize this isn't the case for everyone.

Paired with the Series 2 watch, Apple hit it out of the part on this keynote for me.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Ordering day one. These are the wireless solution I've been waiting for. The fact that it. Intelligently switches to one earpiece mode was the icing on the cake for me as I walk around all day at work with one earphone in waiting for calls.

Let one run down, put it in the case and pull out the other one. With intelligence switching this is perfect for me.

I should note, I'm someone that has never had any issues with the earpods and actually find them ridiculously comfortable, I realize this isn't the case for everyone.

I agree. Functionality wise, I've wanted a product like this for years.

I've little experience using the EarPods historically tbh, I recall not finding them particularly comfy for my ear but I am absolutely going to persevere with the AirPods, the functionality of them screams BUY BUY BUY!

My only disappointment is the late October release.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Actually, thought of a deal breaker for me.

I'd like to know if there is the equivalent of a long press of the volume up and down button. I use this all the time in Overcast to skip forward a minute, or back 15 seconds, through ads in podcasts. Couldn't live without this for the many times getting my phone out is impractical. I can only hear about blooming mattresses and the revolution in shaving equipment so many times....

I have an AW but only use it at gym. Too much of a mechanical watch fan.

Hmm.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
It's an interesting product. I'm just afraid I'm going to lose one of the buds. I'm hoping someone makes an accessory that would tether the two buds together while I'm using it, like my current Plantronics bluetooth earbuds.

EDIT: Also, I haven't read how we're going to control audio with it, like play, pause, skip and volume.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
As whsbuss suggests, may be Siri. If that's the case, I'm likely out. I have it disabled on everything, waste of time. I'm no luddite, my word just the opposite, but I'm simply not interested until the ? years long beta is over.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Here we go again...

Apple changes design, releases a new product. Everyone jumps on the hatewagon. People feel disappointed, pissed, and cheated. Time passes. Next thing you know, people begin to like it. Then they love it and can't live without it. It becomes the standard.

I get it. There are advantages to having wired EarPods. There are also many disadvantages. I, for one, hate the wires with a passion. Every time I have to take out the EarPods from my bag or pocket, I am ready to kill someone out of frustration. Untangling these things is a nightmare. Generally speaking, I find them irritating as f***. It is by far the most annoying accessory that I deal with on a daily basis.

Sure, the wireless AirPods may look "funny" and "ugly" to some at first glance, but that's because you're not used to them. It was no different from initially seeing people talk on an iPad (***cough cough*** I meant iPhone 6 Plus ***cough cough***). It looked idiotic, at best, because the size was "ridiculous".

I feel they are ugly looking because I have other ones to compare them to which are much nicer looking. Of course this is only personal aesthetics and everyone's opinion will vary, this is just mine. I don't think I'll get used to those oddly phallic looking things sticking out of my head and functionally I think it's a negative and will cause them to fall out when bumped, or worse yet get slammed in your ear.
[doublepost=1473290645][/doublepost]
According to this, the only way to turn down volume on AirPods is to tell Siri to turn the volume down. If you remove them from your ears, the audio carries on from your phone. Screw that! http://www.slashgear.com/apple-airpods-hands-on-07455233/

Wow that's terrible. What's even worse are those pics with them in someone's ears, WOW, just wow. They seriously look like a prototype, not something that will be released in 2016. I had very high hopes for these, but they just really got them wrong. Functionally they just look like they will fall out very easily, from the smooth plastic that goes in your ear to the phallus sticking out of your ear which will bump against everything, I don't think I'd have much faith in them.

I'm also confused, the article says "pairing Bluetooth headphones can be a nightmare" Has anyone truly had any issues pairing Bluetooth devices in the last 3 or 4 years? I can't recall the last time I had even the smallest degree of trouble connecting a Bluetooth device to a smartphone.

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
According to this, the only way to turn down volume on AirPods is to tell Siri to turn the volume down. If you remove them from your ears, the audio carries on from your phone. Screw that! http://www.slashgear.com/apple-airpods-hands-on-07455233/
Wow - Apple will need to address these short comings in future releases. I'm almost positive to get the Bose SoundSport Wireless. They should be back in stores by end of the month, and the gray/yellow combo looks nice.

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
You guys be the judge. This is a front view of airpods. Honestly, I think it looks hideous. I cant make out whether he has cigarette in his ears or wearing some sort of long white plastic earrings. For me, its not only about risks for loosing them, but also having to have lots of courage to wear them in public.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    625.1 KB · Views: 304

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
Not sure what to think about these. They look really interesting, but I highly doubt they will be a high performance headphone. 5 Hours of battery life.... come on!

Your thoughts??

It's 5 hours + The charging case that holds about 24 hours of extra battery and it charges as soon as you put them inside the case. In the Apple store website it says 15 minutes of charge in the case would give you extra 3 hours of listening time. I think it's not too bad. I don't listen to music for 5 hours straight with no breaks and I listen to music quite a lot throughout the day. I've been using the Jaybird Bluebuds X for almost 2 years now and I really like it. But it's starting to show its age and I hate how the earbuds keep falling off. I'm interested to see how well these AirPods can do.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's 5 hours + The charging case that holds about 24 hours of extra battery and it charges as soon as you put them inside the case. In the Apple store website it says 15 minutes of charge in the case would give you extra 3 hours of listening time. I think it's not too bad. I don't listen to music for 5 hours straight with no breaks and I listen to music quite a lot throughout the day. I've been using the Jaybird Bluebuds X for almost 2 years now and I really like it. But it's starting to show its age and I hate how the earbuds keep falling off. I'm interested to see how well these AirPods can do.

Ha!, I'm with you there on the Jaybirds. I'm using those now but the silicone is getting really loose and the fit is starting to wear. The Airpods will fix the issue of having to turn on/off the headset, weird silicone fitting, and also intelligent usage/Siri. The Airpods are just more convenient than any other headset right now for those reasons. It's also cheaper than other headsets right now which is a huge plus for those that are budget conscious.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I'm wondering how well they work if you have something like an airplane with 120 people all trying to use bluetooth headphones at the same time? High quality music streaming takes a lot of bandwidth, and there's only so much to go around. Sure it's short range, but any one person might have 30 other people in range of them. Maybe the W1 chip can manage some interference, but what if other companies' implementations with different "secret sauce" don't play well together? In that case the solution will probably be everyone needing to upgrade to dual band 2.4GHz/ 5GHz bluetooth headphones and iPhones.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Nah, I won't be getting these. The older Apple wired earbuds never fit in my ears properly..I was always fiddling around, adjusting them, putting one or the other back in my ear after they would fall out.

No question I would lose these within 30 minutes.

BUT..if Apple comes out with this in 10.1, it might help? :p

BZhn0R0.jpg

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
I've always loved the standard Apple earbuds but have loathed the wires. So in some ways I'm intrigued but not at the current price point. Apple seems so close to nailing it but these should be half the price they are selling them for. Also I don't like the idea of having to use Siri to control my music playback. But maybe if I can try them in person I might be sold.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
these new ear pods don't excite me- only five hours doesn't work for me- also the shape (assuming they are exactly like current fit) doesn't stay in my ears - I don't think these are going to be that awesome but I hope I'm wrong

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone know how does it pair with Apple TV4? Through iCloud? There is no Apple TV on the graphic.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You guys be the judge. This is a front view of airpods. Honestly, I think it looks hideous. I cant make out whether he has cigarette in his ears or wearing some sort of long white plastic earrings. For me, its not only about risks for loosing them, but also having to have lots of courage to wear them in public.

So what makes these unacceptable when I could literally cut the cord off the current EarPods and it would look exactly the same? Is something about having a cord run down your front (or into your shirt) more socially acceptable than without?

Honestly though, I couldn't give less of a **** about what people think about what I wear.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

People will get used to it.

Reactions: Traverse

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Nah, I won't be getting these. The older Apple wired earbuds never fit in my ears properly..I was always fiddling around, adjusting them, putting one or the other back in my ear after they would fall out.

No question I would lose these within 30 minutes.

BUT..if Apple comes out with this in 10.1, it might help? :p

BZhn0R0.jpg

I think Apple is going to use the automatic car parking functionality of iOS 10 to drop a pin on the map of where Airpods were last known to be if a sudden disconnection occurs due to being out of range (subtle, but important distinction). That would be the smart way to do it anyway.

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
So what makes these unacceptable when I could literally cut the cord off the current EarPods and it would look exactly the same? Is something about having a cord run down your front (or into your shirt) more socially acceptable than without?

Honestly though, I couldn't give less of a **** about what people think about what I wear.

Its not about social acceptability per say but thought the design is a bit awkward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.