Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Its not about social acceptability per say but thought the design is a bit awkward.
To me they look just like EarPods without the cable, maybe it's the lack of cable that's throwing you off? You know, being conditioned for years to see those white buds and suddenly appearing to have parts missing?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
According to this, the only way to turn down volume on AirPods is to tell Siri to turn the volume down. If you remove them from your ears, the audio carries on from your phone. Screw that! http://www.slashgear.com/apple-airpods-hands-on-07455233/

ehh, now that I do not like. Why would anyone want the audio to spill out of their phone when they take the buds out? I wonder if that was just a glitch with them being so new and running on a software probably not optimized.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why would anyone want the audio to spill out of their phone when they take the buds out? I wonder if that was just a glitch with them being so new and running on a software probably not optimized.
...It's by design. :rolleyes:

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
ehh, now that I do not like. Why would anyone want the audio to spill out of their phone when they take the buds out? I wonder if that was just a glitch with them being so new and running on a software probably not optimized.

Sounds like the part about audio coming out of your phone is inaccurate. It pauses if you remove a headphone.

However, it still think the volume and track skipping via Siri is utterly stupid.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
my issue/question with these is sound quality. i don't know how a company who says that music is part of their DNA can not put out headphones with premium sound quality.

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
To me they look just like EarPods without the cable, maybe it's the lack of cable that's throwing you off? You know, being conditioned for years to see those white buds and suddenly appearing to have parts missing?

Nope, it just looks alike cigarette or a pair of long white plastic earings to me as mentioned earlier.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I dont think they look any sillier than people wondering around with a cable dangling from each ear or any more stupid that people wandering around with full sized headphones strapped their heads looking like they failed an audition for the new Dumbo movie.

Reactions: Traverse

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm sold on the Airpods. I use my Apple Watch to pause/play/volume, and I think it's cool how they know when they are in your ears. Pause when you take one out? Super cool. Easily switching between my iPhone, Macbook, or Mac Pro will be a welcome feature. No more turning off bluetooth on on device while you pair up with another, sweet.
We'll see some innovative accessories for these too - tethers, skins for both design and grip in larger ears, etc.

Reactions: gemnilocs

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I love everything about these AirPods except the design and lack of color choices. I'm curious about this W1 processor and if it decodes AAC on the AirPods or the iPhone. The AirPod website says they "provide rich, high-quality AAC audio." If they do decode AAC, that would be pretty cool for wireless headphones.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I love everything about these AirPods except the design and lack of color choices. I'm curious about this W1 processor and if it decodes AAC on the AirPods or the iPhone. The AirPod website says they "provide rich, high-quality AAC audio." If they do decode AAC, that would be pretty cool for wireless headphones.
Looking forward to some in depth reviews so we can figure out some of these things.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK

My feelings exactly... great implementation but I would feel very self-conscious walking around in them (for what it's worth I'm the same about headphones). I'd rather have a shape that fits more within the ear, and a colour that isn't so obvious when worn. My only other concern is that the previous iterations (wired) didn't isolate sound that well and others around you can hear your music.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I cannot imaging myself in gym :
-" Siri!!! Tune up volume!!!" - "Let me check the internet for you...."

Or in a plane overnight flight:
-"SIRI!!!! Tune the volume down!!!!" - "You are going enjoy an amazing free flight in 5...4...3...2...1..0 sec"

Buttons , we need buttons. I don't want people know when I increase/decrease volume, skip,......

Starbuck is going to be "siri..siri!!, skip!!, volume up!! UUUUP!! down siri!!! , not my Siri, not yours!!! " :-()

Reactions: boston04and07

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Anyone know how does it pair with Apple TV4? Through iCloud? There is no Apple TV on the graphic.

I was wondering this as well, but I haven't seen any info that list the apple tv. (Just phone, watch, iPad, & mac)

I'm guessing they won't work with the apple tv, but I could be wrong.

It would be cool if they did though.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I was wondering this as well, but I haven't seen any info that list the apple tv. (Just phone, watch, iPad, & mac)

I'm guessing they won't work with the apple tv, but I could be wrong.

It would be cool if they did though.

I guess it will work via pairing but not through iCloud. Maybe next tvOS update, I hope.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I cannot imaging myself in gym :
-" Siri!!! Tune up volume!!!" - "Let me check the internet for you...."

Or in a plane overnight flight:
-"SIRI!!!! Tune the volume down!!!!" - "You are going enjoy an amazing free flight in 5...4...3...2...1..0 sec"

Buttons , we need buttons. I don't want people know when I increase/decrease volume, skip,......

Starbuck is going to be "siri..siri!!, skip!!, volume up!! UUUUP!! down siri!!! , not my Siri, not yours!!! " :-()

Whether you want it or not, this will become a norm I'm afraid. This pods are made for when Apple Watch has cellular built-in IMO. No more (when you're listening to music) long press on the headphone and say "Call my wife" and be greeted with "You have to unlock your phone first". Oops!

Reactions: gemnilocs

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
These things are so interesting to me, but my fear is free apple earbud sound quality for $160. Not even apple themselves make a big deal about how these things sound so I'm not optimistic. Would love for these things to actually sound like $100+ headphones though.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I think are a decent product and it makes sense as to what they are trying to do. I would have liked to have seen them come with some sort of silicon for the piece that is actually in your ear. Smooth plastic doesn't stay in place very well when you are moving around a lot or sweaty.
yeah...I would love there to be something for the inner ear to ensure they stay put...I use my power beats for running and my beats solo for my iPad, MacBook and traveling...I like that the solo beats come with a cord to attach when the battery on my beats goes out...plus they tend to sound much louder when plugged in...I am curious about these and how they will stand up to sweat and daily usage for running, working out, commuting and so forth...because the regular ear pods just never really stayed in place and they would go
bad after sweating

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
You guys be the judge. This is a front view of airpods. Honestly, I think it looks hideous. I cant make out whether he has cigarette in his ears or wearing some sort of long white plastic earrings. For me, its not only about risks for loosing them, but also having to have lots of courage to wear them in public.
I thought I was the only one that thought it looked like cigarettes. t would be awesome if there were some kind of attachment, I guess it couldn't be magnetic cause it would interfere but I just feel like there should be something to keep them attached and free from falling out of my ear on to the pavement or in the gym. I like the cord of the power beats and the jaybirds I used to have. but I'm very curious about these working with the phone and the watch. I have all apple stuff so it would be nice to have but I wanna see reviews of real world usage.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I'm sold on the Airpods. I use my Apple Watch to pause/play/volume, and I think it's cool how they know when they are in your ears. Pause when you take one out? Super cool. Easily switching between my iPhone, Macbook, or Mac Pro will be a welcome feature. No more turning off bluetooth on on device while you pair up with another, sweet.
We'll see some innovative accessories for these too - tethers, skins for both design and grip in larger ears, etc.
That's the part that like.l.in the gym I control my music via my Apple Watch...at home I have to turn off the blue tooth on a device I order to connect with the another device...so I like the idea of not having to do that if I'm face timing on my MacBook or listening to music on my phone and then switch to my iPad especially when flying.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
Whether you want it or not, this will become a norm I'm afraid. This pods are made for when Apple Watch has cellular built-in IMO. No more (when you're listening to music) long press on the headphone and say "Call my wife" and be greeted with "You have to unlock your phone first". Oops!
That last part...id be on my motorcycle and asking Siri to call someone and she would say I have to unlock the phone first....hated it. Bluetooth in my helmet (sena 10)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.