Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
I already have a BT on-ear headphones that I am mostly satisfied with. Mostly it is only used at home, since I prefer to use a more portable in-ear headphones while commuting. That is why I have been thinking of getting a wireless in-ear headphone.

If the AirPods are able to deliver a seamless connection between different devices, then I will probably get one.
One of the things that annoys me with the BT headphones I have now, is that it can be rather annoying if it is paired with multiples devices. Most of the time connecting works fine, but if I want to switch to another device I either have to turn off the BT on the device I was using it with, or try and select it as the Audio output on the other device and hope it will work.

Reactions: gemnilocs

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
f74a8a815a270b60ce7e9a9ba8de0e1e.jpg

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
The verge review pretty well confirms that these are just wireless ear pods. Despite that being the expectation, it's still pretty disappointing. While the tech in them is certainly neat, I can't see spending that amount of money. $160 buys some pretty good sounding headphones, wired or wireless.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
The verge review pretty well confirms that these are just wireless ear pods. Despite that being the expectation, it's still pretty disappointing. While the tech in them is certainly neat, I can't see spending that amount of money. $160 buys some pretty good sounding headphones, wired or wireless.

I agree 100%. The standard issue wired earpods sound like $20 earpods you'd get off a kiosk at any shopping mall. For $160, you can buy any number of earpods that really deliver sound quality and if they are wired, you don't have to recharge them or worry too much about one falling out of your ear and becoming The Tale of the Lost Loose Earpod.

To me, the earpods look like medical devices a doctor might affix to you after ear surgery to help drain out infectious ooze.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I already have a BT on-ear headphones that I am mostly satisfied with. Mostly it is only used at home, since I prefer to use a more portable in-ear headphones while commuting. That is why I have been thinking of getting a wireless in-ear headphone.

If the AirPods are able to deliver a seamless connection between different devices, then I will probably get one.
One of the things that annoys me with the BT headphones I have now, is that it can be rather annoying if it is paired with multiples devices. Most of the time connecting works fine, but if I want to switch to another device I either have to turn off the BT on the device I was using it with, or try and select it as the Audio output on the other device and hope it will work.
And this is the biggest selling point for me...although I hate the regular earbuds and can't stand them in my ears for longer periods of time, I like the thought of being able to connect to all my devices without having to disconnect Bluetooth on another device just to use my headphones on something else.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I can bet my house you will lose the Earpods on the second day
I only wish you were serious so I could take you on your offer.
[doublepost=1473790365][/doublepost]Surprising amount of hate here. I thought these were the highlight of the keynote and can't wait to use them.

The only reason I might not be satisfied is if the audio quality matches that of most bluetooth speakers, but I honestly think they solved that simply by moving to bluetooth 4.2 for the data packet length extension. The problem now is just finding a BT 4.2 audio receiver for my car...

P.S. Very excited for auto-pause-and-resume when taking them out of my ear.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Well I always steered clear because of rather negative reviews even though they are obviously returnable if I did not like them.

I may give them a go since I have some android smartphones I can use them with.
At that price point, for dual driver in-ears, they are good. You can certainly get better sound if you want to spend more. They have a relatively neutral sound, which I prefer (my other headphones are the ATH-M50 studio headphones). Also, if you don't have a good seal, the bass is thin, which is probably the source for a lot of the poor reviews. At any rate, they have been my go-to ear buds for many years now.
I would have been very happy if Apple had used them as the source for the AirPods.

Reactions: AppleRobert

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Surprising amount of hate here. I thought these were the highlight of the keynote and can't wait to use them.
Are you really surprised? It's in trend to hate all things Apple even though one haven't used it. I mean people are sure you will lose AirPods on a second day but I wonder where did he test his AirPods when I can't even put in an order yet.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
But you can manually go back and turn Bluetooth on. I do it all the time. Just hitting airplane mode will shut off all the radios but after you turn on airplane mode you can manually turn on Bluetooth or wireless if you so desire.

Of course you can turn bluetooth (or wireless) back on... or you can choose to just not turn-on airplane mode at all. Still, if airplane mode is required for a flight.. then disabling it should not be done.

/Jim

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Of course you can turn bluetooth (or wireless) back on... or you can choose to just not turn-on airplane mode at all. Still, if airplane mode is required for a flight.. then disabling it should not be done.

/Jim

It's the cellular radios that need to be turned off, and airplane mode is the only way to do that. Turning wifi and Bluetooth back on is allowed. How else would you use in-flight wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.