Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Bluetooth does not work like that, this sales rep confused something. You think that all of the world manufacturers of endless no-name Chinese ****-tier bluetooth headphones "negotiate" anything with TV manufacturers? No - and they work with everything. Bluetooth is an open standard so you don't need to do that.

This is a bug on Apple side, and let's hope it can be fixed with an update.
Even my kids $19 wireless Bluetooth headphones from five below work fine with all the Samsung smart TVs in the house. This is defiantly a software bug.

Reactions: Strus

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Found a great solution. Just got the new Apple TV 4K (128GB). I’ve never bothered to get Apple TV until now. Now I’m wondering why I never got one. Anyways all my apps work faster and what not. So it hit me…AirPods. Bamm. Connect to both gen 1 and 2 easy. For now this will do. Besides if you use Apple TV it’s better than using Samsung smart hub etc.

genocoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2022
I've spent the better part of a month trying to resolve this issue. I have spent over 20hours on the phone to Apple Support and also driven 100km each way to the nearest Apple store where they insisted on testing the AirPods. Of course they found no problem. Apple's opinion is that because my AirPods work fine with my iPhone, then there cannot be anything wrong with them. Apple have stated that they do not warrant their audio devices to work with anything other than Apple products. This is completely flawed and unacceptable logic. Imagine if Beats, Sennheiser, Jabra etc didn't warrant their headphones on anything other than their brand of device. They don't even make TV's or stereos!!

Apple are insisting that this is not an Apple problem and despite me elevating the case, there is no solution from them at all other than to deal with Samsung and make it a Samsung issue. Apple have told me to insist that Samsung engineering needs to release a firmware update to make it work.

The problem with this logic is that:
1. The AirPods worked fine out of the box, until the firmware 5A377 update which then rendered them to not work.
2. The issue is also with Sony and LG tv's... so it cannot be a Samsung issue!

I have just downloaded the latest Samsung TV firmware/software update (ver. 1401) which was released on the weekend. It did NOT fix the issue.

I have now raised a case with Samsung who say they will take 1-2 business days to investigate.
However I am not encouraged very much as the assistant had no knowledge of the problem and there were no notes on his system of this issue.

Everyone I speak to acts like they are completely unaware of this issue. They won't even agree to read these forums when I point it out to them. All I can say is for all of you to try raising the issue with BOTH Apple and your TV manufacturer and hopefully eventually there will be critical mass and it will get resolved. Feel free to quote my case ID to your local Apple rep: 101823830119 and they can reference that if it helps you/us.

I'm going to try to install the next Beta firmware tonight and will update how I go....

Reactions: just!ns

just!ns

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
I've spent the better part of a month trying to resolve this issue. I have spent over 20hours on the phone to Apple Support and also driven 100km each way to the nearest Apple store where they insisted on testing the AirPods. Of course they found no problem. Apple's opinion is that because my AirPods work fine with my iPhone, then there cannot be anything wrong with them. Apple have stated that they do not warrant their audio devices to work with anything other than Apple products. This is completely flawed and unacceptable logic. Imagine if Beats, Sennheiser, Jabra etc didn't warrant their headphones on anything other than their brand of device. They don't even make TV's or stereos!!

Apple are insisting that this is not an Apple problem and despite me elevating the case, there is no solution from them at all other than to deal with Samsung and make it a Samsung issue. Apple have told me to insist that Samsung engineering needs to release a firmware update to make it work.

The problem with this logic is that:
1. The AirPods worked fine out of the box, until the firmware 5A377 update which then rendered them to not work.
2. The issue is also with Sony and LG tv's... so it cannot be a Samsung issue!

I have just downloaded the latest Samsung TV firmware/software update (ver. 1401) which was released on the weekend. It did NOT fix the issue.

I have now raised a case with Samsung who say they will take 1-2 business days to investigate.
However I am not encouraged very much as the assistant had no knowledge of the problem and there were no notes on his system of this issue.

Everyone I speak to acts like they are completely unaware of this issue. They won't even agree to read these forums when I point it out to them. All I can say is for all of you to try raising the issue with BOTH Apple and your TV manufacturer and hopefully eventually there will be critical mass and it will get resolved. Feel free to quote my case ID to your local Apple rep: 101823830119 and they can reference that if it helps you/us.

I'm going to try to install the next Beta firmware tonight and will update how I go....
I'm curious to see how the beta firmware turns out.

genocoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2022
I was unable to do the Beta upgrade, I need to pay $145 for an Apple Developer subscription to be able to use Xcode to download. Not worth it for me...

Also wanted to mention:
1. I tried to post a copy of my above last post on a Samsung Forum and it made me remove all references to 'Apple Support' before it would accept.
2. I tried to post a copy of my above last post on an Apple website forum and it was removed for being a 'negative rant'!!

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Good news! The new firmware worked for me on my Samsung smart TV! It didn’t at first but I deleted the AirPods Pro 2 from the TV then paired them again and wouldn’t you know it, works like a dream!

just!ns

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
Good news! The new firmware worked for me on my Samsung smart TV! It didn’t at first but I deleted the AirPods Pro 2 from the TV then paired them again and wouldn’t you know it, works like a dream!

That's good news ... I deleted my APP 2 and paired them again as well and it didn't work, but I'll have to try again.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Yup working on my end too. Deleted and repaired. Regardless no longer a worry for me. I connect via apple tv. This was always a software issue which is why I didn't bother to call apple. They would have eventually fixed it.

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Yup working on my end too. Deleted and repaired. Regardless no longer a worry for me. I connect via apple tv. This was always a software issue which is why I didn't bother to call apple. They would have eventually fixed it.

Unless you're watching something you can't get on Apple TV, like cable, etc.

just!ns

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
I deleted and repaired ... still no luck (airpods firmware 5B58, Samsung firmware 2303). Connects quickly and works initially but when changing channel sounds drops completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzzeppelin

Michele Bortone

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
Hi guys. I have two Samsung TVs. On Q60 with firmware 2303 APP2 firmware 5B58 work. On RU8000 with firmware 1401 they don't work. APP1 work without problems.

ProgrammerDad

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Installed newset firmware and newest ob samsung qled 2022, still not working. Trick with delete and pairing again did not help. Still waiting…

ProgrammerDad

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Installed newset firmware and newest ob samsung qled 2022, still not working. Trick with delete and pairing again did not help. Still waiting…
And just to add, they work initially, but for example after ad in YouTube or channel change or movie change in netflix it stops working. Closing them in case and repair fixes issue until next „Video change”. Super annoying.

Ledzzeppelin

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2022
I deleted and repaired ... still no luck (airpods firmware 5B58, Samsung firmware 2303). Connects quickly and works initially but when changing channel sounds drops completely.
Same here. Works at first connection then if i change channel on tv or open Netflix, sound drops completely. Deleting and pairing again is the solution. Frustrating enough:)

just!ns

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
Same here. Works at first connection then if i change channel on tv or open Netflix, sound drops completely. Deleting and pairing again is the solution. Frustrating enough:)
What's odd is my Beats Fit Pro just got the same update and they still work fine, as they did before, with the TV. Not sure what to make with what's different about the APP 2nd Gen vs the Beats, but still a bummer for the APP 2 not working as one would think they should.

Reactions: Ledzzeppelin

ekrub

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
After 5B58 firmware update, things are just slightly better. Based on advice in this thread, I deleted my AirPod Pro 2 entry in my Samsung TV and re-paired. Now, connecting the AirPro Pro 2 headset works more reliably; however, I still lose the connection anytime the sound is interrupted (e.g., pausing, rewind/forward, switching shows, switching to another app, etc.). Just as before, if I've got a show going (sound playing) and connect the AirPods, they work; however, any interruption drops sound and I have to disconnect & reconnect the AirPods to get sound again. At least with 5B58, I don't have to repeatedly disconnect & reconnect through the TV, since putting the AirPods into their case and then putting them back on (while the show is playing) now seems to reliably get sound going again. Just slightly less annoying than it was before. Bluetooth between AirPod Pro 2 and Samsung TVs is still a horrible user experience.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
We have two high-end Samsung TVs. Both have an Apple TV 4K connected. So we avoid Samsung vs Apple software issues with sound. - And we get Spatial Audio on the Airpod Pro's. Why else have Airpod Pro's ?
Exactly. I decided to get my first apple tv. Got the new model. Biggest mistake was why didn't I get one earlier on. I will never ever use Samsung smart hub crap. Apple tv with airpod pro's 1 & 2...WOW!!! I stream 100% of my content from it so the Samsung tv connectivity issue no longer bothers me. I also enjoy the instant connection once I open my airpod case. Spatial Audio is everything BTW.

CherylD

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2022
Updated my Airpods Pro Gen 2 to Firmware Vsn 5B58 and problem with Samsung TV is fixed. I have Samsung QN65QN9DAAFXZA. The Airpods were delivered with Firmware 5A374 - which does NOT work at all - Airpods connect and "appear" to work except there is no sound on any station. I am not sure when this 5B58 was released but it solves my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.