Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
I have the same issue. Let‘s hope it‘s only a software issue...

agirelli1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
I have the same issue, sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right, completely random. Are you sure it is not a hardware failure?

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
It's not completely random, it always affects the AirPod you've put in first (at least in my case). Doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I have the same issue, sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right, completely random. Are you sure it is not a hardware failure?
Who can say but Apple right now. Will have to wait and see if any firmware comes.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Here's someone showing the problem on Twitter with video. Apple have responded with link to their Airpod guide "If your left or right AirPod isn't working" which is no help.

Same thing happens to mine occasionally. Wait, it goes away. Probably a software issue, like the iPods aren't charging for 0.1 seconds and it comes up or something.

kmjo30

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2017
New Orleans, La
Just hit up Apple Support on Twitter. Hope y’all are doing the same to get this escalated. They’ll ask for the serial number and your country. Need this fixed before return period is over.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Make sure the tip is aligned properly to the AirPod. Same oval shape.
Sure. Couldn't imagine how they could fit on wrong? That said I didn't change my tips and they're on correctly.

kmjo30

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2017
New Orleans, La
Apple support told me to go to the Apple Store and exchange them. I did yesterday evening. Went to the gym after the exchange, charged them up and haven’t had the problem yet. ?

agirelli1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Apple support told me to go to the Apple Store and exchange them. I did yesterday evening. Went to the gym after the exchange, charged them up and haven’t had the problem yet.

So is it a hardware issue? I have two pairs, both with the same problem

Emdek

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Netherlands
Same here, mostly the left one is flashing the exclamation mark and no sound. Used them for an half hour before trouble started. Did a hard reset following the instructions, worked for 3 min and same problem.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Apple support told me to go to the Apple Store and exchange them. I did yesterday evening. Went to the gym after the exchange, charged them up and haven’t had the problem yet. ?
Please report back if it happens again. Would like to rule out hardware issue. Especially as stock online has slipped to 3 weeks wait. I'll do anything to avoid having to visit a store.

BF039762-64E9-4CA1-B668-E320B54E3746.jpeg

Last edited:

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I've experienced this with Generation 1 & 2. It seems to be more of a software glitch since the AirPods are operational and there are no indications during use of failure or pending doom. However, I've noticed it more with the increased releases of iOS and AirPods updates. Removing/repairing them to the iPhone didn't seem to alleviate it alone. So, you could try the steps I've taken and I only notice the issue to crop back up if another iOS or firmware release is installed.

0. Remove the AirPods from the iOS device, which should remove it from other linked iCloud devices.
1. Reset the AirPods with the Apple recommended procedure while the AirPods are in the case and connected to a power source.
2. Reset the network settings for each of your iCloud connected iOS devices, which should reset the Bluetooth module, as well.
3. If you use the AirPods with macOS, then reset the Bluetooth module using 'Shift + Option + Debug' from the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar.
4. Reconnect/repair the AirPods to your primary iOS device and the profile should be pushed to your other iCloud linked devices.
5. Test if the software error reoccurs.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Noticed the problem Wednesday night.

Removed AirPods from Bluetooth, reset AirPods and thought it was fixed. Repeated previous steps two more times and no issues yesterday or today.

kmjo30

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2017
New Orleans, La
So is it a hardware issue? I have two pairs, both with the same problem
Please report back if it happens again. Would like to rule out hardware issue. Especially as stock online has slipped to 3 weeks wait. I'll do anything to avoid having to visit a store.

View attachment 874230
No clue if it’s an hardware issue. Apple support told me to hold the button for 15 secs to reset and pair again. Did that and the battery indicator was still jumping. If it shows up on the exchanges pair I’m returning them. Don’t have time to help Apple do a job somebody should have did before the release. The new pair hasn’t done it yet so everything is ok so far. Try to exchange and if it does it again get your money back. I went to the store to exchange and it wasn’t swamped like you think but they do have plenty still in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.